Mic question


View Full Version : Mic question

04-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey...this may sound stupid but hey i can only find out through asking... ok me and my friends are starting a band and im gonna do some vocals along with guitar....now what the hell do you plug a microphone into...are there special types of amps or something for microphones...i serioulsy have no idea

thanx alot

04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
if you're super poor, you can get an old amp, get a standard 1/4" mic and plug it in. Sounds crappy, but it works.

Usually you run it through a PA system, which means spending extra money.

You can pretty much run a mic through anything, as long as you keep the levels right. (that excludes bass amps, so don't try)


You can find amazing things, or search the forum, way too many people ask the same questions on here.

04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
hmmm i tried searching the forums but i just couldnt find anything...o and how much are pa systems?

Dan Steinman
04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
you can buy a PA system for the mic, and also a keyboard amp would work. if you have an extra guitar amp, you could make do with that if you have the right adapter for the mic plug, but it really doesn't sound very good, and usually isn't powerful enough. a PA system is your best bet, next to the keyboard amp. It's basically an amp designed specifically for vocals, and usually hooked up to two separate speakers. It needs the extra power and extra speakers because the vocalist needs to be the loudest person in the band--also the double speakers are there so the singer can't be drowned out on one side of the stage by the instrument amps, and again, so he can be the loudest. PA's can run a little expensive, so you may consider the keyboard amp, but Fender actually makes some portable PA's ranging from $400-900 depending on the size. Look up Fender's "Passport" series. Apparently pretty nice. Don't forget, though, you still have to buy mics, mic stands, cords, an possibly stands for the PA speakers. Some of the bigger Fender PA's have them included, but check to be sure. There are some small no-name brand PA's out there too, but from what I've heard they are a bit inconsistent in quality, and if you're gonna shell out for a PA anyway, you might as well get something reliable. go on musiciansfriend.com and read some reviews.

04-14-2006, 12:19 AM
thanks alot for the help

blah...time to start saving up....pa system here i come haha

04-14-2006, 12:29 AM
PA system is definietly the way to go....the one I have have is small (only 80 watts), but it gets the job done for practices and the small venues I play on my campus. Mine is made by soundtech, and you can get a small PA starting at around 150 bucks. My website of choice is www.music123.com. If you have extra cash to spend, the Fender Passport series is very good, as are the Kustom portable PAs.

04-14-2006, 02:11 AM
My band has a Kustom 18 inch stage moniter and a Behringer EuroRack UB802. It works great for out practice..the moniter is a little overboard, but w/e it works..and it was only 100 bucks on musician's friend. We couldn't pass the deal up. But get the best quality you can afford..a bad PA could mean a bad band....just becuase people can't stand the NOISE. anyway. check out musician's friend and things of the sort. You'll find something. But odn't forget the mixer!! It's very important!!

04-14-2006, 05:04 AM
I do this for our band..
I plug my mic into a speaker system, which usually has a mic input.. then i put a wire from the headphones input in the speaker into the back of my amp where it says ' EXT IN ' and put the volume up just a bit.. this way.. how ever loud i have the amp.. the mic will always be louder..
Now the drawback to this is.. no EQ for your vocals which will make you sound a little dry.. but if you have a good voice then you dont have to worry about it : ) lol