sounding hardcore

PDA

View Full Version : sounding hardcore

ibanezzer
04-13-2006, 09:44 PM
For a while now I've been trying to get a hardcore sound out of my guitar, only a few things have sounded "ok".

I like how a lot of bands will have crazy chords going then palm mute a bunch of times really fast then go back into playing or soloing. I'd like get some sounds like fall of troy or poison the well..

How can i achieve this sound?

ibanezzer
04-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Breakdowns?

Edit: This was in response to the reply that seems to have been deleted..

SGRocker0791
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Were did my post go? :confused:

Yes, breakdowns. They are pretty big in Hardcore/Metalcore music. Here:

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_%28-core%29

ibanezzer
04-13-2006, 11:31 PM

Yes, breakdowns. They are pretty big in Hardcore/Metalcore music. Here:

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_%28-core%29
Is it just me or is that hard to understand? Maybe I'm just really out of it..

Edit: What are other things that have that hardcore sound? Like punk has powerchords strummed over and over for example, does hardcore have any signature chords?

scoob666
04-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Dissonance features highly.

Er, I'm not really sure what else to say.

Andrewbiles
04-14-2006, 06:36 AM

Apparently you deleted it...

SGRocker0791
04-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Apparently you deleted it...

I guess so, but yet again, I was very tried so I could have deleted it by mistake while editing it. Ah well, carry on.

<the_last>
04-14-2006, 09:30 AM
hardcore, you have to have alot of dropped d or d flat or c powerchords, whatever tuning you like.
having the dropped power chords really sounds good palm muted, and its very fun playing open dropped power chords really fast , it gives it that hardcore feel.
dissonance is also another key.
go listen to norma jean, these guys are the master of dissonance.
also switch to clean once in while and fiddle around with that for a bit.

ibanezzer
04-14-2006, 11:40 PM
hardcore, you have to have alot of dropped d or d flat or c powerchords, whatever tuning you like.
having the dropped power chords really sounds good palm muted, and its very fun playing open dropped power chords really fast , it gives it that hardcore feel.
dissonance is also another key.
go listen to norma jean, these guys are the master of dissonance.
also switch to clean once in while and fiddle around with that for a bit.
So like, dropped D, but then regular fingering for a powerchord?

For example:

x
x
x

?

And what exactly is this dissonance thing?

White_Devil
04-15-2006, 12:58 AM
for dropped D it would be:

X
X
X

frd_marshll
04-15-2006, 03:58 AM
to sound like Thomas of the fall of troy become amazing and learn to write music really well

Rox0r713
04-15-2006, 05:20 AM
Flail it around and hit people in the face with it. That'll produce some pretty hardcore sounds.

scoob666
04-15-2006, 07:41 AM
When two notes clash, basically. A good example is the opening of Pickpocket by At The Drive-In.

Antroid
04-15-2006, 10:36 AM
im not sure, but i would put some 56's by 10's strings on and drop into D, C, or B# if your silly.

BadAssElmo
04-15-2006, 11:29 AM
well. you'll need some heavy distortion too. make sure you have a good pedal or combo amp that you will be able to get the sounds out of..

just mess with your amp until you get a sound you like....bury your dead, throwdown, etc uses more bass and i think drop B tunings while fall of troy doesn't use as much bass at all..i doubt you'd be able to get things to sound like fall of troy though, that guy is pretty crazy.

Paint
04-15-2006, 12:26 PM
well, you could smash 100 guitars and set people on fire...

thats what the new bled was supposedly going to sound like. maybe you could pull it off better...

anyway, to sound like the fall of troy you must first be 16, become completely arrongant, and jerk off your guitar and write ****ty lyrics.

Kruptos
04-15-2006, 12:32 PM
make noise. a lot of noise. then put the noise into a good rythmn.

Combat
04-15-2006, 02:53 PM
you mean metalcore or hardcore?

ibanezzer
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
well. you'll need some heavy distortion too. make sure you have a good pedal or combo amp that you will be able to get the sounds out of..

just mess with your amp until you get a sound you like....bury your dead, throwdown, etc uses more bass and i think drop B tunings while fall of troy doesn't use as much bass at all..i doubt you'd be able to get things to sound like fall of troy though, that guy is pretty crazy.
I've learned a few of their songs (tfot), and it's pretty basic stuff, just creatively put together. really cool bends and leads.

_Clayman
04-17-2006, 03:03 AM
drop tunings are gay

you can play real hardcore just as fast if not faster with standard fingerings on the low strings. dissonance is stupid. sounding like **** on purpose is the worst musical idea since the keytar.

above all, when writing hardcore you want it to sound mean. there is a certain way to get attitude across with progression choice and if you nail it, you will know it. blacklisted and death threat have some of the meanest riffs in the world.

BadAssElmo
04-17-2006, 09:20 AM
I've learned a few of their songs (tfot), and it's pretty basic stuff, just creatively put together. really cool bends and leads.

oh well, ill have to look at some of the tabs and stuff then haha.

myvaliantleap
04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
First of all most people were right. Except most hardcore bands dont drop below d or in some cases c#. Dissonance is also played alot in hardcore. It doesn't have to sound bad. Jazz has alot of dissonance in it, and many people growing up in that day and age love it, people today love jazz. I think its safe to say that alot more people like jazz than do people who like hardcore so its really just how you use it. I personally love it when a band can use dissonance and use it well. Often times it is used in riffs like this.

e -----------10---------------------------0
b ------------9----------------------------0
g ------------9 or a chord like this- 4
d 00---00--------------------------------7
a 00---00---------------------------------
d 00---00---------------------------------

Gomorrah
04-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Clayman: the keytar was a good idea, fool.

Dissonance is most commonly used in metalcore or mathcore as a tritone (the root note and its flatted fifth, think every DEP song), or with two notes exactly one half step away from each other. The latter is more commonly used in obnoxious breakdowns, such as The Bled, Evergreen Terrace, Norma Jean. Botch mastered it.

surburus_666
04-17-2006, 01:37 PM
this chord

----
----
-7--
-6--
-5--
-----

alternated with palm muted things like this

--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
-00-----000
-00-----000

with the occasional

-----
-12-
-15-
-----
-----
-----

guitarwannabe16
04-17-2006, 02:24 PM

a couple of easy dissonance chords would be like

E- 0
B -4 (or 6)
G- x
D- x
E- x

These are movable (meaning you can play them up and down the neck as long as you keep the basic position)

E-x
B-4
G-7
D-x
A-x
E-x

E-x
B-x
G-6
D-x
A-5
E-x

E-x
B-x
G-7
D-6
A-5
E-x

and

E-x
B-x
G-8
D-7
A-5
E-x

ChrisPetrie
04-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Learn Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste By Norma Jean. Its almost as if most of the song is a breakdown.

Bloodshed
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
ok dude, try stuff like this.....this stuff sounds hott. Also set your guitar amp tone to give you a tight sound, not to much low or high. I run a Marshall Valvestate head through a 4x12 cab. I set the low at 7, Mid 0, and high at 8, kill all the reverb and wind out the gain.

Try some of this stuff

tune lo-to-hi CGCFAD

Palm mute the 0's

D-----------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------
F-----------------------------------------------
C-----------------------------------------------
G------7---8----7-------7----10-----8-------
C-0-0---0----0----0-0----0------0----------

dissonant chords like this sound hot too but only in moderation

D------------------------------------------------
A------------------------4------4-------4------
F------------------------7------7-------7-------
C------0---0---0-----------0-------0----------
G------0---0---0-----------0-------0----------
C------0---0---0-----------0-------0----------

Whatever you do dont play this on a strat or a guitar with single coils, it sounds like crap....

_Clayman
04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
the last thing the world needs is more noise chords and generic "ride the low string" metalcore riffs. also, norma jean is possibly the worst band ever formed.

you people stink, come up with something else

indiecult99
04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
I've been playing hardcore/metal/metalcore music for about a year now and I know that the stuff can't be sloppy, you have to basically be able to count how many palm mute strokes there are to be sound really good. so knowing that, I would suggest start(if you're not already) using a compressor pedal or something that will clean your stuff up. either way though, you have to be a pretty neat and cleaned up player to do it. Besides that. you basically cannot be in standard tuning, if you aren't already. try drop D or even C or C# tuning. also, when you are coming up with new stuff, don't sound TOO melodic. it's about sounding really dark and badass haha. so use wierd intervals and such.

metalisim
04-19-2006, 05:18 PM
umm theres a lot to hardcore than you think...
ive be playing hardcore for 2 years and
you will need to lear what 2 steps are, throwdowns, breakdowns.
just bc you tune down to b (what i do) or A or whatever dosent mean your amazing
look for what you want in a song and try to add it
but dont try to sound exactly like another band ... bc they will jsut listen to your idol band... you need to make riffs with your own style of hardcore and jsut listen to a lot of bands... i listen to everything from Implosive Disgorgence and impending doom to It Dies Today and glass casket... music is my life and its kinda nessicarry to make good hardcore ...adios

_Clayman
04-19-2006, 07:03 PM
you just babbled out the biggest bunch of musical nonsense i have ever read

please stop playing guitar

system
04-19-2006, 11:59 PM
E-x
B-x
G-6
D-x
A-5
E-x

this is my favorite.

i also enjoy, in dropped tuning, something like

E-x
B-x
G-x
D-x
A-1
E-2

or

A-0
E-1

you know.

LedZeppelin
04-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Clayman: the keytar was a good idea, fool.

Dissonance is most commonly used in metalcore or mathcore as a tritone (the root note and its flatted fifth, think every DEP song), or with two notes exactly one half step away from each other. The latter is more commonly used in obnoxious breakdowns, such as The Bled, Evergreen Terrace, Norma Jean. Botch mastered it.

THANK YOU. Jazz is very dissonant, but it's very melodic also. Crappy hardcore bands take out all the melody (all the ones you mentioned, especially Norma Jean) and just go chugachugachuga EE EE chugachuga EE. You know what I'm talkin' bout, Willis. Haha. They don't know they're using simplified jazz structure, and because of that, it sucks. On the other hand, bands like DEP use jazzy rhythms, riffs, and runs to compliment the dissonance. They actually know what they're doing. Dissonance can work really well if bands know what the hell they're writing, but otherwise it flat-out sucks.

DeathCab4Cutie
04-20-2006, 10:05 PM
drop tunings are gay

you can play real hardcore just as fast if not faster with standard fingerings on the low strings. dissonance is stupid. sounding like **** on purpose is the worst musical idea since the keytar.

above all, when writing hardcore you want it to sound mean. there is a certain way to get attitude across with progression choice and if you nail it, you will know it. blacklisted and death threat have some of the meanest riffs in the world.

Wow, drop-tunings are gay huh? Yeah, expanding the range of the guitar and making it easier to play is really gay.

And not all dissonance is bad; many great composers have used it. You can portray many different emotions with the use of dissonance, as long as it isn't overused.

And the keytar is a great idea althrough I think it looks sort of stupid. It is the same principle of the Sousaphone and the tuba; it just makes theinstrument more portable.

_Clayman
04-21-2006, 12:53 AM
1. drop tunings may expand the range of the guitat but way too many talentless homos abuse the one finger chord concept and make it lame. there are people that just cant play in a standard shape tuning. they should be shot. im no virtuoso but i think you should be able to at least finger the damn thing with some effort

2.l dissonance ****ing stinks and you know it. and you also know that way too many awful scene dork bands use noise chords far too much in order to sound "crazy" and "chaotic" and its made the whole thing a joke now.

3. the keytar was the faggiest part of the 80's, gayer than the super bowl shuffle, gayer than hot pink and neon green

Smoothie
04-21-2006, 09:19 AM
also, norma jean is possibly the worst band ever formed.

Hah, thank-you.

And there is no set way of sounding hardcore. Listen to a wide range of hardcore bands and develop your own style.

StuartR
04-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Learn how to play punk.

then play it faster.

Rob the Tipton
04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
The Jun Jun Weet Weet:

D------------------------
A-------4--4------------
F-------7--7------------
C------------------------
G------------------------
C-0-0-------------------

Lots of breakdowns.

And this common used riff:

D---------------------------------
A---------------------------------
F----------------------------------
C----------------------------------
G----5----7----8-----10-----------
C--0----0----0----0----------------

Hope that helps

FlyingFuc!<
04-24-2006, 11:58 PM
if u want to sound hardcore get a lip ring and scream "unity, straight edge" as loud as you can.

the lip ring really changes your voice to sound really core. xXx so tuff xXx

Paint
04-25-2006, 01:08 AM
just f.uck sh1t up