Deep Purple

PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple

Keef-is-king
04-14-2006, 02:45 PM
What is your favorite deep purple lineup?
I happen to LOVE the latest one, Steve Morse is an amazing player, In most ways better than Ritchie Blackmore imo

what do you think?

Still Life
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm not that familiar with all the lineups they had, but saying Steve Morse is better than Blackmore is a little crazy in my opinion. Sure, he may have the better technical skill, but I think it is a totally different band without Ritchie. Not bad, for sure, but not as good.

All I can say is that Ritchie Blackmore is quickly becoming one of my favourite guitar players, it's amazing what he can write sometimes.

JackWhite1988
04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
The lineup that should only matter is Mark II, Mark III (which had young Whitesnake lead singer David Coverdale blazing on his debut album Burn) or the Mark II reunion lineup for the Perfect Strangers and House of Blue Light records.

The history behind Ritchie Blackmore extends to several bands where there were a core set of maybe about a dozen musicians that traded in and out of bands.

These bands consist of Deep Purple, Dio, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, most notably.

After Mark II disbanded, David Coverdale joins up with Deep Purple, does a few albums, leaves and starts Whitesnake where at points Ian Paice and Jon Lord play with him on early records such as "Slide it In".

Ian Gillan leaves and starts a solo band and at one point I believe played as lead singer for Black Sabbath. Ronnie Dio leaves Elf and joins Blackmore in Rainbow where Roger Glover, Glenn Hughes and I believe Ian Paice make random appearances in their respectful posistions.

By the early 80's, Rainbow disbands, Dio joins Black Sabbath as singer of course, Blackmore, Gillan, Glover, Lord and Paice start up Deep Purple again. Meanwhile current Deep Purple keyboardist Don Airey plays the keyboard for Ozzy Osbourne in the mid 80's. Whitesnake picks up Satriani student Steve Vai for the Slip of the Tongue album. Ian Gillan leaves Deep Purple by the late 80's while Deep Purple goes on with Joe Lynn Turner as the lead singer. Ian Gillan comes back to play with Deep Purple until 1993 where Blackmore leaves and Joe Satriani joins the Mark II lineup for a tour in Japan. Steve Morse joins Deep Purple while Blackmore leaves to reform Rainbow then ultimately leading into his relationship with Candice Night where they would form medieval/renaissance band Blackmore's Night. Nothing has changed except Dio is still solo, Whitesnake still has Coverdale and Jon Lord no longer plays rock concerts.

There's you some history on these great musicans that are highly underrated and long over-due for Rock Hall of Fame induction. Since Ritchie Blackmore was really the nucleus of all these bands, you have to give him alot of credit. Any questions on the history of these bands, give me a call.

rx_eb
04-14-2006, 09:18 PM
I happen to LOVE the latest one, Steve Morse is an amazing player, In most ways better than Ritchie Blackmore imo

"Opinions are like asshole, everybody has one and they're full of ****..."

Ritchie can pwn Steve anytime of the day

distilledspirit
04-14-2006, 10:09 PM
"Opinions are like asshole, everybody has one and they're full of ****..."

Ritchie can pwn Steve anytime of the day

Too-shay dude. I happen to like the lineup from the album Machine Head one of the greatest rock albums ever. Blackmore was the **** then and now don't front.

Btw sweet avatar rx.

rx_eb
04-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Too-shay dude. I happen to like the lineup from the album Machine Head one of the greatest rock albums ever. Blackmore was the **** then and now don't front.

Btw sweet avatar rx.

:cheers:

distilledspirit
04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
^It's starless and bible black right??

rx_eb
04-14-2006, 10:58 PM
^It's starless and bible black right??

you got the titles mixed up a bit ;)

it's Larks' Tongues in Aspic

both are awesome albums

:headbang:

distilledspirit
04-14-2006, 11:00 PM
:headbang: Yeah I got both and can't tell them apart haha. But still: :headbang:

rx_eb
04-14-2006, 11:02 PM
:headbang: Yeah I got both and can't tell them apart haha. But still: :headbang:

:headbang:

distilledspirit
04-14-2006, 11:07 PM
So Deep Purple lol not to change the subject...best song on Machine Head besides Highway, Smoke or Spacem I say Pictures of Home or Maybe i'm a leo

Master Shake
04-15-2006, 09:18 AM
IMO To me Deep Purple don't exist anymore they have become a parody. Steve Morse isn't good with them (he is much better solo/whatever else he does) he just does the same solos each time and who knows if Gillans voice decides to turn up. Blackmore on the other hand while not as fast maybe, he is a superb guitarist and without a doubt my favourite (Happy Birthday for yesterday :) ) he still has the best combination of being expressive, musical, sophisticated and technically advanced and not to forget a fantastic improvisor IMO

I'm a Rainbow fan before Deep Purple but my fav off MH is Pictures of Home. SotW is a bit over played though.

rx_eb
04-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Lazy, so far, is the best blues song by a hard rock band

zackweiler
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Here is a cool song by DP

"Somebody Stole My Guitar"
http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XZE4N3S3834J0GKY3ZUJCR21C

rx_eb
04-15-2006, 09:47 PM
^ that 's in the first album of deep purple with steve morse, called Perpendicular

FadingRoots
04-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Made In Japan > ANYTHING Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, OR Led Zeppelin have to offer.

...Well, maybe not ANYTHING, but its a DAMN good album.

The Mule, anyone?

Danne55
04-18-2006, 11:22 AM
imo Rainbow is a lot better than Deep Purple (which are REALLY good ;) ) Whitesnake has some classics but not so many.

Anyway to stay on topic:
Mk II is the best followed by Mk III - those are the only "real" DP lineups.
However dont forget Mk I who started it and has done one of the best DP songs, Hush

Master Shake
04-18-2006, 09:26 PM
imo Rainbow is a lot better than Deep Purple (which are REALLY good ;) ) Whitesnake has some classics but not so many.

Anyway to stay on topic:
Mk II is the best followed by Mk III - those are the only "real" DP lineups.
However dont forget Mk I who started it and has done one of the best DP songs, Hush

arhhh I see we agree yet again :D :D :D

Still Life
04-18-2006, 10:27 PM
^ As long as we are agreeing, I also have to say that I prefer Rainbow over Deep Purple. But they are both solid bands.

Rising is one of the greatest albums of all time, I think. Better than anything that Deep Purple has released, and that is saying a lot.

xSepulturax
04-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Whatever the line up was for FIREBALL!!!!!!

I dont feel like getting the CD and looking.

beau05
04-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Mach II, III

im going to see them live next thursday, i wonder if it'll be anygood? yes, yes it will

Master Shake
04-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm seeing them in two weeks

PatrickJR
04-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I listen to a good bit of classic rock. But!, I have never been a big fan at all of Deep Purple. Even though- Smoke on the water was one of the first K Rock songs that I learned. I still don't listen to them. Im not trashing them , or saying they are a bad band, becasue they arn't. I just never had the urge to listen to them!

Master Shake
04-21-2006, 06:00 AM
^ I didn't either before I listened to Rainbow. I like them now though but not as much as Rainbow.

fleabass
04-21-2006, 06:04 AM
im seeing them at monsters of rock along with ted nugent and alice cooper

Danne55
04-21-2006, 03:01 PM
arhhh I see we agree yet again :D :D :D
We always agree ;) :D

Flying V
04-22-2006, 09:05 PM
As time has gone by I have more and more interest and appreciation for Ritchie Blackmore. He really was an innovator in the 70s with using his pinky a lot more than other players of that era and the neo-classical stylings and scales and so forth.

I always thought that Tommy Bolin did not get enough credit. Listening to the outro solo and the overdubbed guitars on "Dealer" and it is evident that Bolin had swagger and style all his own. Bolin was also a great songwriter, something he seems to be getting a little more credit for these days. Deep Purple fans are probably weighted in the pro-Blackmore camp and rightfully so but Bolin came into that band and tried to give them some new direction and life which would be really hard to do. Bolin did pull this off with the James Gang a few years earlier, no disrespect to Joe Walsh who is another underrated player in my opinion. To my ears, Deep Purple with Tommy Bolin is almost a whole different band. A guitar player friend of mine once remarked on hearing some rare live Bolin-Deep Purple that Deep Purple sounded like a great backup band for Bolin (ha ha).

That was a strange time (1975) for Deep Purple, Bolin himself later said that they probably should have disbanded when Blackmore left. Bolin probably did not always play well with them but the studio album Come Taste the Band is very under-rated. About the only similarity between Bolin and Blackmore was that they both played Stratocasters.

Both Blackmore & Bolin are among my very favorite players. The thing about both of these players is that they both have very unique solo identities--I can always tell a Blackmore or Bolin solo even if I have ever heard it before.

TwistedLogic
04-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Steve morse better technically than Ritchie Blackmore; If i wasnt too busy shaking my head in disbelief I would laugh my ass off. Blackmore evented the whole neo-classical guitar movement and was classically trained before turning his attention to rock full time.

As for Deep Purple, they were and still are an awesome band. I like the Mark II line up but favor In Rock over Machine Head simply because the production is grittier and less polished than Machine head. Just a personaly perference of mine. But the Coverdale years were good and Glenn Hughes does not get enough credit for his bass playing and singing skills. Check him out now, as him is sober, in his workk with Toni Iommi in fused. Very good from the little pieces that I have heard.

But the band did have to suffer, as Rainbow did, through Blackmore's temper tamtrums and personelle changes. Gillan and Blackmore cannot even be in the same room together from what I have read. But it was not as bad as in Rainbow because at least Deep Purple maintained a core hard rock / prog rock music base, whereas Rainbow dramatically shifted gears in the post Dio years to radio friendly / foriegner want to be style. What a shame.

Why do I like Rainbow and Deep Purple? Because you can hear the classical influencnes in Ritchie's playing and the songs he wrote. Somewhat more dramatic and bombastic than other music but not too over the top that it became unlistenable to the average rock fan. A nice mix. Hell from what I heard Blackmore introduced hte use of arpeggio's into rock music, very cool use of technique, some might even say innovative if that point is true.
Oh well gotta go. Long Live Rock and Roll