Help Me Out of this Mess! My band sucks!

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out of this Mess! My band sucks!

Sid Watts
04-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Oh my god, here is the current situation with my band.

1) Our bassist quit before the first practice and we can't find another one
2) Our drummer is a control freak and wants to control all the songs, most of which the rest of the band would rather not do
3) Our second guitarist tried to protest the drummer and got fired
4) After five practices doing "All of my Love" our drummer decided not to do the song
5) Our drummer spends most of the practice talking about the girl that sits next to him and her boobs
6) Our drummer's foot gets tired after 20 min.
7) I'm in a small school and he's the only drummer there is (besides this other guy who's already in a band)
8) I'm friends with the drummer :rolleyes: :( :eek: so I don't want to piss him off by quitting

HELP ME NOW!

Lol, thanks

cman138
04-15-2006, 12:15 AM
start a new band

FadingRoots
04-15-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm sorry to say, but looks like the only solution is to fire the drummer.

SkinnyWhiteBoy
04-15-2006, 12:19 AM
What's your position in the band?

If your a Guitarist, just jam around with people, don't start a band, and wait until your out of highschool. Tour the countryside, stop at big cities, meet people, then start a band with them.

If your a Vocalist, just practice, practice, practice, and later on audition for a band around you that you actually WANT to be in.

That's, of course, assuming you want to make it big.

mrmoo182
04-15-2006, 12:20 AM
assassinate the drummer

crawlingfaster
04-15-2006, 12:25 AM
at least u have some form of a drummer, which i dont have at all. but it seems like he is a shlong so tell him if he doesnt let u have more control then you will stab him.

pen15
04-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Tell the drummer he needs to use a Metrenome. If he tries too, it will piss him off so much he will quit the band himself.

Still Life
04-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Burn him.

BigBadBull
04-15-2006, 12:29 AM
JUST BE A **** BAND, LOLl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!l THERE ARE LOTS OF THOUSE OUT THER TODAY, NOBDOYV EVEN NOTICES ANYMORE

civildp1
04-15-2006, 12:31 AM
tell you drummer one of the following
1. He's a ****ing woman if he gets tired after 20 minutes.
2. if it's his right foot that gets tired, he should stop packing kick drum notes into the beat and play with a more open airy style. If it's his left foot, he's a pussy.

I really think you should just fire the entire band and replace them with different people.

SinnaSatan
04-15-2006, 12:34 AM
If you're friend with the drummer, simply tell hit that he needs to get his sh*t together or else you'll start looking for another drummer.. If the says "whatever" then fire his ass, and replace him with a drum machine..

BigBadBull
04-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Druem Machiens Are Meantnt Ot Prealce Mepoepla Nwye Way Int He Fure All Amcbies Will Replace Peoplele Ebcause They Are More Effeicent

Dan Steinman
04-15-2006, 01:11 AM
don't despair if you can't find a good band in high school! you will be free one day, and all the musicians who aren't dicks will want to join your band. my high school band couldn't get along either, and it was much better when we broke up and me and the other guitarist just did acoustic jams from then on. now i'm in college and all I have to do is advertise, there are tons of musicians on a college campus. by the way, i am a strong proponent of low volume or acoustic jams WITHOUT DRUMS. jam at low volumes or acoustically without drums when you're writing or teaching the band a song, it will make it a lot easier to communicate, as there is no need for microphones and volume adjustments and no loud drums to yell over. also good if you can't afford a freaking PA... jeez

NevermorePsalm
04-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Druem Machiens Are Meantnt Ot Prealce Mepoepla Nwye Way Int He Fure All Amcbies Will Replace Peoplele Ebcause They Are More Effeicent
dude, for ****s sake learn to type.

Dutch_Apples
04-15-2006, 01:19 AM
1. If he quit before the first practice, he was never your bassist to begin with. Place some ads, look around on myspace, etc.

2. If he has clout, as in has connections, can book many gigs; give him more control. If not there needs to be some negotiating or some people leaving.

3. Why fired him?

4. This can happen.

5. Let me guess, he's 14?

6. Then he has improper technique. 20 minutes is nothing. My foot when playing drums doesn't get tired after gigs that last 4 hours.

7. Never let this be an excuse.

8. Somethings, you won't be friends with people in your band.

You seriously need to have a talk with this drummer and the rest of the band. Don't place all problems on him though. Never fear to negotiate. If he is unwilling to negotiate, then deal with it for now. Unless you feel like you can do more without him. I don't care where you live, there is ALWAYS other musicians. You might have to do some traveling.

Plus it sounds like you are young, high school bands almost never last. Play with as many different people as possible now and try joining an already existing band.

Synyster Gates
04-15-2006, 01:45 AM

jesus tap dancing christ most japanese make more sense than you

but yea just tell the drummer to get his **** together before you ruin his ****....

20 minutes?

my drummers been playin for 3 months and can already go for an hour of solid practice

UtBDan
04-15-2006, 10:42 AM
fire the drummer. It doesn't get rid of the friendship if you try to hang out with him immediately after/keep hanging out with him in other ways, and say it's only because he was a control freak.

Who syas your drummer has to be from your school? Make a classified ad, make a friend at another school, find some actual musicians in a reasonable area, hang out at music stores, do something with yourself.

Synyster Gates
04-15-2006, 12:20 PM
yea

just play around and dont worry your head about it your in school so youve got a few years to just lounge around musically and get a feel for different styles and playing with other people then get serious after school

civildp1
04-17-2006, 06:58 AM
jesus tap dancing christ most japanese make more sense than you

That should be a given. Japanese students begin learning English in first grade.

Remebol
04-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Hey buddy, news flash,

My drummer is in like 5 different bands, who says you must stay in the same band

NotAJock2Day
04-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Don't use the term band until you have a completely functional unit of musicians. o_O

Solution: Break up, try again.

quinny1089
04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
u just contradicted yourself...how can they 'break up' if they are not a band :p

any sit down and talk to the drummer, tell him hes being a control freak, give him an ultimatum if necessary...

and just advertise for some musicians...people can be in more than one band

Synyster Gates
04-17-2006, 06:23 PM
That should be a given. Japanese students begin learning English in first grade.

oh

damnit i need a new simile or metaphor or somethin

JadeFalcon5
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Tell the drummer he needs to use a Metrenome. If he tries too, it will piss him off so much he will quit the band himself.

thats soooo what i did with my brother

im in my friends band now and they make about $500 each a show lol

and i LOVE it lol

stringmagician
04-17-2006, 10:49 PM
your drummer fired someone from the band? if he's the kind of guy that thinks he can fire members without the rest of the bands consent then fire him, you'll find a drummer eventually, and if you can't have someone learn drums. believe me, a new drummer might be better than a lame one that is an asshole

NotAJock2Day
04-17-2006, 11:25 PM
u just contradicted yourself...how can they 'break up' if they are not a band :p

Touche mate. ^_^;

Drummers are a dangerous species because (generally) they like dominance. Often drummers play little role in writing the actual tune so they try to take control other ways. Besides, anyone who makes an art out of smacking the living piss out of anything isn't always going to be 100% agreeable.

stringmagician
04-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Touche mate. ^_^;

Drummers are a dangerous species because (generally) they like dominance. Often drummers play little role in writing the actual tune so they try to take control other ways. Besides, anyway who makes an art out of smacking the living piss out of anything isn't always going to be 100% agreeable.

ya know, thats a completely inspired point

skaithe
04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
If you don't have a bassist and your drummer is a ****, then you could leave the band yourself! If the other guitarist is worth keeping then you could ask him to start a new band with you, otherwise, leave him too.

It's perfectly fine to leave a **** band to die!

Synyster Gates
04-18-2006, 08:43 PM
aye^

joshsirjoshules
04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Wow, if you fire the drummer, it'll only be you in the band. That's hardly a band don't you think? Just get a guitarist at your school to play bass or play bass yourself. It's really all that hard, and it's actually quite interesting to see a guitarist's approach to bass guitar.

andrewroudny
04-18-2006, 10:54 PM
What's your position in the band?

If your a Guitarist, just jam around with people, don't start a band, and wait until your out of highschool. Tour the countryside, stop at big cities, meet people, then start a band with them.

If your a Vocalist, just practice, practice, practice, and later on audition for a band around you that you actually WANT to be in.

That's, of course, assuming you want to make it big.

This guy is so right. Go out and jam, audition for other bands, and most effectively, join a cover band or tribute. That's the best way to:

a) learn how to be a pro musician
b) meet other pro musicians
c) let the listening public know you're good (if you are, in fact, good). When you play songs people know, and you play them well, they know you must be good, and then they'll either:

a) offer to buy your CD/tshirt/beer
b) hook you up with other good musicians
c) sleep with you

All good things.

Join a cover band.

Cheers,
Andrew Roudny
www.andrewroudny.com

Synyster Gates
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
yea what they said

and again ur still in school

z4twenny
04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow, if you fire the drummer, it'll only be you in the band. That's hardly a band don't you think? Just get a guitarist at your school to play bass or play bass yourself. It's really all that hard, and it's actually quite interesting to see a guitarist's approach to bass guitar.

i disagree, i'm a one man band (though i couldn't really do live shows i do still record music, drums, guitar,bass & synth) and yes if he's a prick, OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!! find some people that you can sincerely get along w/ and jam w/ and trust me when i say its better that way

cortcurbow4
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
comming from a drummer... most drummers are more understanding then most give us credit for. so if you just talk to the fool and tell him the deal your gonna be better off... if he takes it wrong then throw him out and tell him once he straightens up he can come back. but im with everyone else... jamming is the best thing on earth.

joshsirjoshules
04-19-2006, 09:12 PM
i disagree, i'm a one man band (though i couldn't really do live shows i do still record music, drums, guitar,bass & synth) and yes if he's a prick, OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!! find some people that you can sincerely get along w/ and jam w/ and trust me when i say its better that way

I meant as a live band, that's all. I find it's really hard to find a backing group as just a solo artist, especially if you're still in school. People want to feel involved.