Bands Bands Bands

PDA

View Full Version : Bands Bands Bands

GreenXOffspring
04-15-2006, 01:30 AM
give me some good punk bands;; im starting to get into it and metalish stuff so what are some good punk bands to you guys?

ScummerVacation
04-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Repetition is a sign of stupidity. So is poor spelling. And so is not looking at the super-mondo-huge list of bands on the main site. But pretty much, Green Day is your best bet to be happy with yourself.

the glue man
04-15-2006, 01:39 AM
There is a huge list of bands on the top of this forum. check that out.

opivy21
04-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Yeah, look at the list and also do a search because I think someone made this thread recently.

bigwig
04-15-2006, 01:53 AM
Strung Out, Protest the Hero, Rise against, Death By Stereo, Strike Anywhere, Thursday, A wilhelm Scream, Paint it black, the lawrence arms, At the drive-in

angusfenderbend
04-15-2006, 10:07 AM
^those bands are pop punk and emo. Just check out the list. And stop listening to green day.

pinheadslts75
04-15-2006, 01:42 PM
^ Well actually, Paint It Black is more punk.

Black Flag, Circle Jerks, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Sham 69, Crass, Conflict, Dead Boys, Minutemen, Kid Dynamite, Screeching Weasel, Jawbreaker, Bad Brains, Partisans, G.B.H, Sleater-Kinney, The Soviettes, Cock Sparrer, Angelic Upstarts, Against Me, Contravene, Agnostic Front, The Decendents, Dead Kennedys, Lifetime, None More Black, Peccadilloes (http://www.peccadilloes.net), Annihilation Time, Municipal Waste, Planetary Ruins, The Germs, Reagan Youth, D.O.A, Nomeansno.

Iluvpowerchords
04-15-2006, 01:47 PM
:angry: SEARCH! :angry:

Seriously.

Pinheads list is good but he didn't include the Rezillos.

They're sweet.

hardrock1315
04-15-2006, 02:09 PM
The 101'ers, 7 Seconds, 98 Mute (Could be considered pop-punk), The Adicts, Agent Orange, Agnostic Front, Angry Samoans, The Antics, The Anxieties, Aus-Rotten, Authority Zero (again, could be considered pop-punk), Bad Brains, Lars Fredriksen and the Bastards, The Beerleaders, Jello Biafra, Black Flag, Blanks '77, Blitz, Bombshell Rocks (again, could be considered pop-punk), Brain Failure, The Brian Setzer Orchestra (rockabilly, kinda considered punk), Buzzcocks, Chaos UK, Cheap Sex, The Circle Jerks, The Clash, **** Sparrer, Conflict, Crass, Cretin Grims, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Descendents (again, could be considered pop-punk), Roger Miret and the Disasters, Discharge, D.R.I., Dropkick Murphys, The Explosion (ONLY PRE-"BLACK TAPE"), The Faction, Faraquet, Fear, Flogging Molly, Flux of Pink Indians, G.B.H., The Germs, A Global Threat, Government Issue, Husker Du, Marky Ramone & The Intruders, Latin Dogs, Lower Class Brats, The Melvins, MC5, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Minor Threat, Minutemen, The Misfits, Motorhead, No Cash, Oi Polloi, One Way System, Operation Ivy, Radio Birdman, Dee Dee Ramone (Dee Dee King lol), The Ramones, Rancid(again, could be considered pop-punk), Reagan Youth, Red Rockers, The Repercussions, Rudimentary Peni, The Sex Pistols, Sham 69, Skuds, Social Distortion, Soda (again, could be considered pop-punk), Speedurchin (again, could be considered pop-punk), Stiff Little Fingers, (Iggy Pop &) The Stooges, Stray Cats (again, rockabilly, could be considered punk), Subhumans, The Suspicion, Television, Toxic Narcotic, Toxic Waste, U.K. Subs, U.S. Bombs, U.S. Roughnecks, Valient Thorr, Varukers, The Virus, Zounds

gunsnspaghetti
04-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Buzzcocks and possibly Blondie.
Ooh check out the Towers of London as well! **** it up is great

gunsnspaghetti
04-15-2006, 02:16 PM
The Dickies, X Ray Specs (rather you than me, buddy!), Bad Religion, UK Subs, Ian Drury and the Blockheads, The Slits, Stranglers, Departmentt S

fridge_raider
04-15-2006, 02:51 PM
While I appreciate that it's annoying to be inundated with these "Tell me what bands to listen to" threads, I have to sympathise with the threadstarter. The Ultimate List is great and all, but it doesn't tell you what style of punk the bands play, or which are best for beginners to listen to, or any top tracks by the bands so I can't see why it's a problem for them to ask in a new thread.

Personally, I don't know a great deal about punk, but my favourite is AFI. I recommend The Art Of Drowning album, or Sing the Sorrow if you prefer a more mainstream, polished sound (less of a punk album though) . Also, check out Tiger Army and some of the classics like The Clash.

Draken
04-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, Gang Green, The Stupids, Mike V and the Rats, Black Flag, Drunk Injuns, Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys.

sassamafras
04-15-2006, 06:15 PM
i dunno i'd stay clear of the sex pistols...eeesshh, sure i like their cover of god save the queen but thats it. Umm...i'd go with rancid and the ramones and the clash..even though NOFX are pop punk listen too them too

sassamafras
04-15-2006, 06:18 PM
heyy..the buzzcocks were considered the first actual pop punk band, green day only brought it back

bigwig
04-15-2006, 08:44 PM
i only put those bands up there because he said he was getting into punk and metal stuff.

hardrock1315
04-15-2006, 09:51 PM
heyy..the buzzcocks were considered the first actual pop punk band, green day only brought it back

The Ramones were the first pop-punk band. And Green Day did not "bring it back". It never went away.

somepunkkid
04-16-2006, 01:59 PM
The Ramones were the first pop-punk band. And Green Day did not "bring it back". It never went away.

... :confused:

minorthreat123
04-16-2006, 10:07 PM
minor threat, black flag, bad religion, pennywise, circle jerks, nofx, operation ivy, h20, misfits, rancid

hardrock1315
04-16-2006, 10:16 PM
... :confused:

Why is this confusing?

sargasm
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Bands bands bands
Which are good, which are bad?
Band bands bands
Ask your mom or ask your dad!

somepunkkid
04-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Why is this confusing?

your definition of pop punk is different then mine

fridge_raider
04-17-2006, 03:49 AM

What would be your definition?

Fight_the_power
04-17-2006, 04:19 AM
Black flag,Minor threat, bad brains,The sex pistols, discharge,drongoes for europe, the exploited, dead kennedys, ftwl, poundaflesh,resistance 77,stiff little fingers, GBH, Against All authority,millions of dead cops, Burning spear, the specials, the adicts, vice squad, circle jerks, the vibrators, cockney rejects, anti flag, rise against, verbal abuse, the briggs,the clash the damned, goldblade, menace, cupid stunt, cracked actors. discharge, poundaflesh , the swellbellies, thedamned, the germs, social distortion, the casualties

Fight_the_power
04-17-2006, 04:20 AM
sorry burning spear are reggae

hardrock1315
04-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Pop-punk = Punk with a more upbeat, catchy sound, usually lighter subject matter, and less harsh vocals
Ex: The Ramones, the Descendants, the Queers, the Buzzcocks

Pop-rock = Probably your definition of pop-punk, bands that have a pop and rock sound with no trace of the punk sound whatsoever, but people sometimes label them as pop-punk or even some stupid people call them punk
Ex: Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, new Green Day, Sum 41

Knowledge is power, my friend.

somepunkkid
04-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Pop-punk = Punk with a more upbeat, catchy sound, usually lighter subject matter, and less harsh vocals
Ex: The Ramones, the Descendants, the Queers, the Buzzcocks

Pop-rock = Probably your definition of pop-punk, bands that have a pop and rock sound with no trace of the punk sound whatsoever, but people sometimes label them as pop-punk or even some stupid people call them punk
Ex: Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, new Green Day, Sum 41

Knowledge is power, my friend.

Well you make a good point, Pop = Popular so that makes sense but then if thats the case then id put the clash in there too... as well as a lot of other bands

CowsWithGuns
04-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Pop = Popular

No it's not. Pop = catchy, upbeat soundung, generally not all that serious

If Blink 182 had never gone beyond the garage they would still have been pop rock.(Just an example)

travel sized
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
CowsWithGuns and Hardrock are completely right. Pop punk is such a "misunderstood" genre, so to say.

somepunkkid
04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
No it's not. Pop = catchy, upbeat soundung, generally not all that serious

If Blink 182 had never gone beyond the garage they would still have been pop rock.(Just an example)

Pop stands for popular... look it up. I know what pop IS i was using the word... you follow?

sargasm
04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Nobody got my early 90's commercial reference...?

Mabye it only ran in Canada...

CowsWithGuns
04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Pop stands for popular... look it up. I know what pop IS i was using the word... you follow?

Apparently you don't. The Boucing Souls and Swingin' Udders are both pop punk but neither of those bands are popular. Pop describes the way music sounds, not how well received it is by people.

somepunkkid
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Apparently you don't. The Boucing Souls and Swingin' Udders are both pop punk but neither of those bands are popular. Pop describes the way music sounds, not how well received it is by people.

You have no idea what im saying

lavazza
04-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Just buy all Albums by The Clash and The Ramones than you have to pay much but have the best orgasm you´ve ever had

waterproofpie
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Nobody got my early 90's commercial reference...?

Mabye it only ran in Canada...

I was hoping this had something to do with Kids in the Hall, or Ren and Stimpy...

but I have a feeling it's not.

StuckWithSlappy
04-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Repetition is a sign of stupidity. So is poor spelling. And so is not looking at the super-mondo-huge list of bands on the main site. But pretty much, Green Day is your best bet to be happy with yourself.

Why must everyone on forums be so inconsiderate?
Yeah man you are a total Bad - A cuz you know every punk rock band in the world. Yeah okay. Suckville usa. guess what guys Something Corporate kicks a*s, bite me.....

Anyway, if your just starting to like the punk sound, start with Green Day, Anti-Flag, Rancid, Operation Ivy, The Ramones, TSOL, Black Flag. From there, just surf the net man, you can find some good list of bands, like the one at the top of these forums.