Alt & Indie BOTW - Islands

PDA

View Full Version : Alt & Indie BOTW - Islands

pumpkins_rule
04-15-2006, 05:45 PM
ISLANDS

http://secretunicornsforum.com/copper/albums/userpics/10096/P0002633.jpg

Islands is a musical band formed in Canada in early 2005, featuring Nick Diamonds (Nicholas Thorburn) on vocals, J'aime Tambeur (Jamie Thompson) on drums, Patrice Agbokou on bass, and at least temporarily, Jim Guthrie on guitar. Islands is a band that is always in flux, with membership changing when appropriate. Most recently two string players, Alex Chow and Sebastian Chow, and a bass clarinetist, Patrick Gregoire, joined the band.

Although the two founding members of Islands (Nick and Jamie) were members of The Unicorns, whose album Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? made pitchforkmedia's top 50 albums of 2003 list, Islands is a completely new and independent project. This, in contrast to Th' Corn Gangg, which began as a direct off-shoot project of The Unicorns several months prior to their December 2004 break-up.

One of Islands' first live performances was opening for Beck at the 2005 Pop Montreal music festival. In late October of 2005 Islands went on a short tour with Beck on the west coast of the USA.

(Taken form Wikipedia)

So this is Islands, the new band formed by two ex-unicorns members. Their album just came out this week, at least in Canada, and it's pretty phenominal, getting an 84 on Pitchfokrmedia.com and it currently has an 82 average score on metacritic. I saw them in concert a few months back and they were really great. Frontman Nick Diamonds has a ridiculous amount of charisma and stage presence. Go check em out.

http://secretunicornsforum.com/copper/albums/userpics/10096/P0002629.jpg

For your listening pleasure:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=51351314

If you can only listen to one song, listem to "Rough Gem."

DorkusMalorkus
04-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Hurray for a new one. I'm gonna predict that only 5 different people will reply :rolleyes: ( :( )

I'm listening to Rough Gem. Not exactly my favorite style of music. It is fun and catchy, definitely not bad, but not totally what I am into. I'll listen to some more later and edit in what I think, but I've got to go color some easter eggs.

Doctor Robert
04-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I was thinking of picking up this album.

Doctor Robert
04-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I just listened to that Rough Gem song. It's okay, but why do the vocals in indie rock always have to be so ****ing low in the mix?

Doctor Robert
04-15-2006, 11:22 PM
This Volcanoes song is hilarious

EDIT: Like this song a lot better than the other.

EDIT 2: This band reminds me of the Violent Femmes.

pumpkins_rule
04-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I just listened to that Rough Gem song. It's okay, but why do the vocals in indie rock always have to be so ****ing low in the mix?

Uhh I never really found them to be low in the mix.

DorkusMalorkus
04-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Your triple post raised my hopes, doctor robert. We have 2 different posters as of now.

#1 synth
04-16-2006, 12:58 PM
I've heard good things about these guys, and i figure they must be good if they're composed of two Unicorns members (RIP Unicorns). Is it just me or do more truly good bands come out of Canada than America? ... I bet its just me.

Anyway, their album is now on my 'to buy' list and i hope their as good as the hype.

Edit: they do kinda sound like the violent femmes, which is good :)

Andrewbiles
04-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Wasn't ever much of a fan of The Unicorns, but The Islands are slightly better from what I've heard in the past. Everywhere seems to have ranted and raved over them already though.

sydbarrettsaves
04-18-2006, 01:16 AM
rip unicorns

trev_smith12
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I saw them open up for Metric, and wasn't completely taken by them, but I am a huge fan of the Unicorns.

divid3d
04-22-2006, 08:36 AM
listening to 'rough gem' now... not bad at all. 'flesh' sounds alright too. seems like a pretty interesting band.

unluCKY...

sponj
04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
listening to abominable snow and lovin it.

galateastilston
04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
i saw them opening for metric as well and they were very fun. gotta love the electric violin.

2xG
05-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Islands is a good band. Their debut album has a few weak spots in it, but also a few amazing bits. They definately have potential. And they're at least as good as the Unicorns.

karlh07
06-02-2006, 04:53 AM
I really enjoyed this album. I think that there were a few parts that were not quite up to par with their regular work, but it was def. a good opening album, especially for a band forming out of the ashes of The Unicorns. In my opinion it's very different from the Unicorns, and not to complain, but I wish it was more like the Unicorns.

Jonte_T
06-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I like at least a couple of songs on the CD, Rough Gems is the best one though.

SpareKey
09-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Haha, I'm going to see their show at the bottleneck on the fifteenth of november. Oh god damn, I can't wait. My favorite songs of theirs are "Rough Gem" and "Abominable Snow." Definantly listen to both of those, by the way.

Zrobusa
09-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Their debut album is a great one in my opinion. Rough Gem shouldnt be the decisive song to buy the album though, most of the tracks don't sound like it.