1 guitarist good enough???

PDA

View Full Version : 1 guitarist good enough???

PaperStSoapCo
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
im haveing trouble convincing the singer of my would-be band that we can get along just fine with one(1) guitar player (me). our other guitar player is a loser who would rather be with his girlfiend then live a real life. so after we gave him the boot, i decided that id rather work alone. he was the only guy i thought i could get along with because all other guitarists are ego-maniacs and would demand to be "lead."

id like my singer to know that you can be a good metal band with just 0NE guitar player. i know that i could think of 10 successful bands who have only 1 guy on guitar, as im sure the rest of you could think of more... but id like you guys to help me make an arguement from a technical standpoint.

im kind of a theory guy, im trying to learn on my own, but i developed a good ear. my singer is clueless, to phrase it gently. he thinks that because the bands he likes have two guitarsts, that means we have to. i think that all you need is a strong bass player and you'll get along just fine because 90% of the time the 2 guitars are doing the same thing or the rythm guitar is playing over the bass.

it would be nice if you guys could give me support on this... thanks a bunch

i posted this 10 minutes ago and already got reactions... NICE!!! thanks alot people, but i think ill clear up a few things:
1. we ARE NOT metallica, wouldnt try to be. i want to be original and not easily compared to anyone
2. we have a bass player, who knows more about music then i do. problem is we can never get him to come out and practice. he is good people, but has alot in the way. big family and so on... lot of responsiblities. but is a good bass player non the less.
3. all we need to get going is a drummer and we are thinking of a keyboard player. my singer and myself noticed alot of piano in metal songs now-a-days ([I]chimera, american head charge... among others)... so we would like to find a person for that, too. but my main concern is a drummer. they are hard to come by where i am in philadelphia.

SuperAnalytical
04-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Depends on what kind of metal you intend to be playing. Stuff like Metallica is better off done with 2 guitarists, but other then that, it's fair game with one guitarist. Very loud screaming metal, for example, is much better with one guitarist, so it doesn't sound sludgy.

SocKo?
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
get ur bass player a distortion or overdrive pedal and it'll cover up the lack of a rhythm guitar fine.

Piltdown
04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I personally think either works. My band has two guitarists, one of them being myself, and i personally enjoy having a second guitarist there with me. If one of us were to forget a part we could swap, or one could entirely drop out for a few measures while interacting with the crowd or something such. Honestly though, 2 guitarists are not a NECESSITY, but can add a nice touch. It'd be perfectly acceptable to only have one guitarist and a decent bassist.

phoenix_88
04-15-2006, 10:22 PM
early man...

two man metal band... there's a good example for you.

however.
two guitarists would be kind of good from (like super... said) a metallica etc standpoint
but, you could just as easily make do with only one.
with a very strong bass player, you're all set and can make one hell of a band

power trio's rock (if you/someone in band would be singing too)
ie. cream

plus, it leaves more room for getting together and getting stuff done.
no differing opinions/schedules.

i'd say that if you feel you/bass are strong enough, you can easily pull it off
you may not be able to get some cool double guitar harmonies, but it would work fine.

Dan Steinman
04-15-2006, 10:56 PM
one guitar makes for a much clearer sound in my opinion. a good bassist can handle accompaniment fine, and there's tons of stuff a guitarist can do to fill out his sound: playing double stops, adding reverb, etc. reverb can really help fill up empty space, i find. yes, even with distortion. at least for soloing, if you want less of an echo for your rhythm parts.

sHieZaN
04-16-2006, 02:00 AM
one guitar is good enough.
look at jimi hendrix, led zeppelin, greenday, blink 182, lol

FadingRoots
04-16-2006, 06:10 AM
I say stick with one. My band is me on rhythm/vocals and someone else on lead, but really, one guitar is better, in my opinion. A second guitar is, in most cases, just redundant. As Piltdown said, two guitarists can mean less work for both, but two guitars, especially if very distorted, can muddy things up too much. Dual guitars are only useful if they are playing completely different things, and if your theory isnt the best then even that isnt useful. Stick with one.

Mr.Rodgers
04-16-2006, 07:21 AM
When it comes to this, it really is personal preference most of the time (unless you play covers of songs that have harmony guitar parts - A7X for example). Two guitars isn't a neccessity (sp??), but having two can help fill in an empty space behind a solo.

Personally, I prefer having two guitarists in my band (me being one of them), and the way we keep egos down and stuff like that is we have a fair share of lead parts and solos, and in a few songs we "trade-off" solos, which I find is cool too.

But that's just my personal preference. It really depends on what style your playing, whether you need the extra person.

curtis loew
04-16-2006, 09:38 AM

doesn't greenday have two guitars?

Mr.Rodgers
04-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Live, Green Day have THREE guitarist (inc. Billie Joe)

But officially, there aren't in the band, so they have one.

Why do I know this?

Shadowz_at_Dawn
04-16-2006, 10:56 AM
yeah like someone said, it depends on what sound u want. i think if u play with 2 guitarists that play 2 different things the sound would be much fuller. and you don't need a keyboard/piano player if other bands have one. put in your band what you think you need. I think your band should have a discussion on members and stuff, all of you.

phoenix_88
04-16-2006, 11:46 AM
i say find a drummer...
jam around a bit just you, bassist, and drums...

then go from there
you never really know what works well for you until you try.
i have two guitar players in my band and we're usually fine on not being muddy or egotistical but a lot of times it's cool just to have one guitar.

on the keyboard note...
find a drummer first haha
i find a lot of bands now that have keyboards are crappy hardcore bands. and i think its redundant because it isn't used much or brought out.
however
dream theater has a keyboard and it's amazing.

so
get you bass drums together and just jam out for a while
that's what i'd probably do.

Shadowz_at_Dawn
04-16-2006, 11:59 AM
oh and 1 more thing added to my last reply. if your lead singer is so closed minded and not open to try things forget him. unless he has the singing ability of davey havok keep him. cuz in the long run (if u wanna make a career out of it) being closed minded will hold u back. sorry im off topic here. and im getting ahead here cuz its a would-be-band. but if you want less of a hasle(sp???) drop the singer get with the bass player, find a drummer and go from there.

zephyr06
04-16-2006, 12:59 PM
One guitarist really can bring out talent and originality in a band. Look how Nirvana made due with one guitar.

les_kris
04-17-2006, 05:29 AM
Green day has two, most hendrix had a rhythm guitarist, and blink 182 are appauling, you are a gimp.

Seth Shadow
04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
mmhmm it depends how skilled the guitarist is, if he/she can get both rhythm and lead chords in they should do fine except for long live shows... it tends to mess up alot, example our lead guitarist, alex caneasily play both when we're jamming but when we played a 3 hour live show he f*cked it up so badafter our 4th song. but its alright...

jajp001
04-17-2006, 09:05 AM
im haveing trouble convincing the singer of my would-be band that we can get along just fine with one(1) guitar player (me). our other guitar player is a loser who would rather be with his girlfiend then live a real life. so after we gave him the boot, i decided that id rather work alone. he was the only guy i thought i could get along with because all other guitarists are ego-maniacs and would demand to be "lead."

id like my singer to know that you can be a good metal band with just 0NE guitar player. i know that i could think of 10 successful bands who have only 1 guy on guitar, as im sure the rest of you could think of more... but id like you guys to help me make an arguement from a technical standpoint.

im kind of a theory guy, im trying to learn on my own, but i developed a good ear. my singer is clueless, to phrase it gently. he thinks that because the bands he likes have two guitarsts, that means we have to. i think that all you need is a strong bass player and you'll get along just fine because 90% of the time the 2 guitars are doing the same thing or the rythm guitar is playing over the bass.

it would be nice if you guys could give me support on this... thanks a bunch

i posted this 10 minutes ago and already got reactions... NICE!!! thanks alot people, but i think ill clear up a few things:
1. we ARE NOT metallica, wouldnt try to be. i want to be original and not easily compared to anyone
2. we have a bass player, who knows more about music then i do. problem is we can never get him to come out and practice. he is good people, but has alot in the way. big family and so on... lot of responsiblities. but is a good bass player non the less.
3. all we need to get going is a drummer and we are thinking of a keyboard player. my singer and myself noticed alot of piano in metal songs now-a-days ([I]chimera, american head charge... among others)... so we would like to find a person for that, too. but my main concern is a drummer. they are hard to come by where i am in philadelphia.

Dunno about a metal band. Although, motorhead are doing quite well. Yeah, i think you'll do fine actually. Just get a decent bassist.

thepagesaretorn
04-17-2006, 09:05 AM
ever heard of delay lol? it's quite useful for harmonies...but i'd suggest that u should look for a second guitarist just because of the added resources that a second guitarist entails

Scourge441
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Black Sabbath only had one guitar. Ozzy only ha done guitar after going solo. Dream Theater only use one guitar as well.

With that said, two guitarists can be useful depending on what you play. If it's something that uses a lot of harmonies and such (i.e. Soilwork, In Flames, etc.), then you would be better off with two.