leadership

PDA

View Full Version : leadership

swingline
04-16-2006, 01:58 AM
My promblem is leadership within the band. heres the thing: me and my friend started this band and we both play guitar, and we got a couple of or other friends to join. one plays drums and the other plays bass. well we couldnt find a singer so for a while we decidd to use our bassist(who can barely even play bass yet). and all of a sudden, he thinks hes in charge, along with my other friend who helped start it. they are all of a sudden making all the decisions, and they treat other people like crap.then we decided to switch of between lead and rythm. my friend acts like hes in charge and rights crappy songs that everyone else in the band say they like because they are scared of him. Im a better guitar player, but if it came down to me or him leaving, they would chose me because they are scared of him and hes more popular among them (he sees them alot, my classes suck) what can i do to get respect, and put them in their place?

LonelyHashBrown
04-16-2006, 02:11 AM
I think you should call both of them out durning practice. there not good leaders if they treat everyone like crap. and before you do that, show them you sickest stuff. they'll realize who's the dumb one.

Yahz0r
04-18-2006, 09:15 AM
You could make a song and show it for them. If they like it they may want to play it and You'll be the one in charge when making the song. Mostly.

NotAJock2Day
04-18-2006, 09:57 AM
what can i do to get respect, and put them in their place?

A band is a team. You gain respect by showing them you're better than them. You put them in their place by being a bigger person. People respect the person that is silently skilled and they'll feel like a-holes if your response to their bitching is simply "if you really think that will work then alright." Then when you give their crappy idea a run then point out you don't like it. The people with the biggest heads should think they're in charge but if you are capable you should be pulling the strings.

joshsirjoshules
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM
You need to be the guy who's pushing the machine, so to speak. You need to speak your mind about how their songs are being shaped, and how good they actually are. Don't be scared of him, be aggressive in getting your point across. If he's untalented, let him know that, I regret not telling my lead singer in my last band that. What you can do is start writing songs, good ones, develop your voice to the point that they can't match, and when you do, make sure to incorporate this line into one of your songs, "Now who's stupid?"

andrewroudny
04-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Nah, I think you should just go write your own songs and jam with other musicians. Now's the time to spread your wings man!

Cheers,
Andrew Roudny
www.andrewroudny.com

BullonParade
04-19-2006, 03:53 PM
well, im kind of in the same situation. the singer in one of my bands where i play bass has quite an ego. because i was the last person to join the band, i seem to have no input at all, unless its making a bassline. i know he wouls chuck me out the band without thinking about it and not be bothered because apparently i have no power at all. but what he doesnt realise is...

1. im the one who got the band somewhere. it was me who got them their first gig, and every other gig since then.

2. its me who has promoted this band, using a website etc.

if i was to leave i strip the band of popularity altogether and they get nowhere. if you had something important for the band then really you couldnt leave because theyd have nothing. also, why not talk to him, tell it to him straight, hes not leader, noone is

madguitarist900
04-21-2006, 10:57 PM
in my opinion my band does everything by a majority vote. as a team this works better.
i would call a meeting with no instruments to get side tracked by and let it all out...it would be worse if you didnt bring it to there attention. :headbang: