drummer or not??

PDA

View Full Version : drummer or not??

deathdemon
04-16-2006, 10:48 AM
we have a 3 man band (no bassist unfortunatly, we use a guitar to do some bassy riffs) earlier on when i started high school my tutor and a couple of mates started a band but then we firgured out the drummer was crap. now a year later our tutor left the school and weve played together in two gigs. as he left we had noone to keep us together, so me and the rythem guitarist made a duet band without any drums.
now the drummer wont shut up about the band and if hes in or not. so do any of you think we should have a crap drummer who cant play for s*** or just try to use a really load metronome or something. we have a sample without any drums that sounds nice.... any ideas or opinions???

Kirkomelette
04-16-2006, 10:54 AM
i dunno, the metronome idea sounds very weird to me. Rather find a new drummer, it can't be that hard! The worst option is to keep a bad drummer, because he will mess up everything.

atc228
04-16-2006, 10:55 AM
well u dont have to have an amazing drummer to have a good band, some people get by with very simplistic drums (ACDC, not saying hes a bad drummer but hes simplistic)

i do understand the problem, cus i have a crap drummer and it is a bit harder than with a good drummer. i say take him in if you get along with him and then just try to work around the simple drums- you are going to have to really compensate for the drums by having solid guitar work. if you dont really get along then see how you do as a two man band, and/or try your best to find another drummer.

JB2500
04-16-2006, 10:55 AM
If the drummer sucks don't have him, I wouldn't do that metronome thing either, just practice till both guitars are perfectly in time with each other, I think a loud metronome would get on people's nerves when you played to live.

atc228
04-16-2006, 10:59 AM
question: is he a crappy drummer as in he cant keep a beat or a crappy drummer as in he can only play simple beats?

if he cant keep a beat dont take him, if he can only do simple beats you could keep him and work around it by having solid guitar work.

GuitarFlabby
04-16-2006, 01:52 PM
question: is he a crappy drummer as in he cant keep a beat or a crappy drummer as in he can only play simple beats?

if he cant keep a beat dont take him, if he can only do simple beats you could keep him and work around it by having solid guitar work.

agreed :peace:

NotAJock2Day
04-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Ideally, if you want to play shows you'd want to have a drummer. Just feels naked without one. Personally, the only time when being without a drummer is well recieved by an audience is during an acoustic set but... eh. It is a very good skill to be able to play in time without a drummer or a metronome behind you. If you and your friend are that good at playing together then hold some drummer auditions where they have to drum along to a jam session. Good drummers will join a band that were able without them.

My band is blessed to have an awesome drummer after 2 very, very poor ones. All three can keep a beat though.

Dan Steinman
04-16-2006, 06:26 PM
congas make for good drums in an acoustic setting... just a thought

Macabre
04-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Get a drummer. I don't know what style of music you play but find a drummer. Get to know some local bands, start going to shows and get yourself personally known. Ask around and see if someone knows of a drummer that is looking for a band. And make sure he's good. If not get a drummer, use the ****ty one if you have too.

Keep in mind that anyone can play guitar, but not everyone can be a good frontman and drummer. Those 2 are the back bone of the band.

Sir Edwin CBE
04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Get a drummer if you can - they're not essential as long as you have a beat.

~~cemetary~~
04-20-2006, 06:51 PM
try doing some acoustic set because you don't really need a drummer for that... you just need some idiot who can smack a tambourine(ooh! pick me!)