Strong Bass presence in punk

PDA

View Full Version : Strong Bass presence in punk

Punk Rocker
04-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Does it ever seem lik ethe bass is pretty strong in punk. Wen im listening to like Ramones or Misfits or watever and playin a first person action shooter(like Halo or a call of duty game) and its a huge battle thing I can still hear the bass even if the music isnt turned up that loud. I hope that made sense, and no im not complaining that there is to much bass.

hardrock1315
04-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Ummmmm, yes?

You should be able to hear the bass, that's why it's there.

Punk Rocker
04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Ummmmm, yes?

Yea but in like in Iron Man by Black sabbath i dunno bout u but a lot of the time I can barely hear the bass normally let alone over a video game or TV or watever.

hardrock1315
04-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Maybe it's because in the Misfits and the Ramones, the bass and guitar usually play the same thing.

FenderStrat1337
04-16-2006, 12:58 PM
well i know on some of the Ramones albums, the bass and vocals come out one side and the guitar and drums come out one side, so that might have something to do with it.

But ya, I like songs to be bass-heavy so I like it.

BadAssElmo
04-16-2006, 12:59 PM
i know in the misfits the guitarist played through a bass amp..and they liked putting a lot of bass into their music..much like many hardcore bands.

Iluvpowerchords
04-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Klaus Flouride anyone?

He's got some sweet lines.

texas78621
04-16-2006, 01:42 PM
When Chuck played bass with Black Flag, it was hard to take your eyes off of him; he had even more stage presence on bass than Greg had on guitar!

Captain Chaos
04-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Yea but in like in Iron Man by Black sabbath i dunno bout u but a lot of the time I can barely hear the bass normally let alone over a video game or TV or watever.

Somebody has hearing problems. :D

Most punk bassits have horrible tone, except for a few.

somepunkkid
04-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Does it ever seem lik ethe bass is pretty strong in punk. Wen im listening to like Ramones or Misfits or watever and playin a first person action shooter(like Halo or a call of duty game) and its a huge battle thing I can still hear the bass even if the music isnt turned up that loud. I hope that made sense, and no im not complaining that there is to much bass.

if tacos could fly do you think that sniffing paint would be healthy?

LastCaress88
04-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Maybe it's because in the Misfits and the Ramones, the bass and guitar usually play the same thing.

Actually,I think that makes the bass even harder to hear because it blends in more.That could just be me,though.I can hear the bass more in some Misfits/Ramones songs than others,but since it's pretty much the same thing as the guitar line,it can get hard to hear.I think it's easier to hear the bass when it's playing something other than the guitar line,for example in most Operation Ivy songs.

BrianApocalypse
04-17-2006, 11:23 AM
It depends how it's mixed.

On Ramones, you can hear the bass because it's panned to one side, and the guitar is to others.

The Misfits' guitars are centrered more, but their music is bass heavy to get that wall of sound.

Rancid have bass in the middle and guitars on the sides. Plus, you can hear freeman even better when he goes onto the D and G strings.

BassNewbie
04-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I loved mat mcall in operation ivy.

misfitsdisciple
04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I loved mat mcall in operation ivy.

isnt that matt freeman.... same guy or w/e great basslines

one of the best bassists of all time though.

opivy21
04-17-2006, 09:48 PM
isnt that matt freeman.... same guy or w/e great basslines

one of the best bassists of all time though.
He went by McCall with Op Ivy.

the glue man
04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Klaus Flouride is the king of punk bass. (or was?)

capsfan17
04-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Klaus Flouride is the king of punk bass. (or was?)

two people who kick his ass, even I admit it

Mike Watt

Horace Panter

Iluvpowerchords
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
two people who kick his ass, even I admit it

Mike Watt

Horace Panter

The minutemen are sweet and all (D. Boon's sound is one of my favorites) but I still like Klaus better, and I'm not counting ska, because if I was Horace would probably win.

Still I'm only familiar w/ Mike's work with the Minutemen. Feel free to point out some other stuff that showcases his ability. :)

capsfan17
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
havent really gotten into his other stuff, but his stuff with the minutmen was prolific. Every album sounded different, but astounding none the less.

whyvern
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
If it bothers you that much it's really ****ing easy to turn the bass down on your TV.

Ilikethepie
05-03-2006, 01:09 AM
There are some songs that you can hear the bass in punk and some which it is very weak. I lately have had a fetish for songs with sweet bass. in my opinion if you cant hear a bass why have it at all? make use of it

bands with good bassists (and a good song):

Less than jake - All my best friends are metal heads,

Bouncing souls -

rancid - have u heard Maxwell Murder (best punk bass solo ever)

Goldfinger - Here in your bedroom, pictures

somepunkkid
05-03-2006, 01:20 AM
meh my jokes go so under appreciated in this forum

Listen to pretty much any rancid song, Op Ivy does a kick ass job with it too

pinheadslts75
05-03-2006, 12:41 PM
In the Misfits, it's harder to tell because both instruments are so bass heavy. Though in songs like She and Bullet, the bass is almost louder than the guitar.

The Ramones pan the bass to one side, so it comes through really strong.

Kira and Chuck of Black Flag have some awesome lines, though it can be hard to hear them at times because Greg Ginn's guitar was always so frickin loud.

havanna
05-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I can hear the bass very easily in most songs by The Clash too.. And being a bassist myself I don't complain. :D

in my opinion if you cant hear a bass why have it at all? make use of it

I was just going to say the same thing.

webaldo
05-04-2006, 05:31 AM
i like bass of oi polloi

SpringingOff
05-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Ummmmm, yes?

Off course, but that's not the only thing.. Besides drums, the bass is the rhythm instrument and it keeps you together with the music.. A Bass is such a cool instrument!

BrianApocalypse
05-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Off course, but that's not the only thing.. Besides drums, the bass is the rhythm instrument and it keeps you together with the music.. A Bass is such a cool instrument!

thank you. someone who agrees that bass is a percussion instrument.

misfitsdisciple
05-06-2006, 10:42 AM
In the Misfits, it's harder to tell because both instruments are so bass heavy. Though in songs like She and Bullet, the bass is almost louder than the guitar.

The Ramones pan the bass to one side, so it comes through really strong.

Kira and Chuck of Black Flag have some awesome lines, though it can be hard to hear them at times because Greg Ginn's guitar was always so frickin loud.

without greg's guitar so loud you wouldnt be able to hear his sloppy solos so well though. and thats what they are famous for.