Jam Bands

PDA

View Full Version : Jam Bands

VR05
04-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Since there is no particular section for Jam Bands in this forum, I figured i'd make a thread...
So discuss about your favorite Jam Bands from The Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers Band, to Phish, and newer bands like Umphrey's McGee, and other favorites like Widespread Panic, etc etc etc...

cliff_em_all
04-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Trey is an amazing guitarist no?

marsvoltaguy
04-16-2006, 02:27 PM
deffinently mars volta when they go on their jam rampages

deadhead313313
04-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Grateful Dead- feckin awesome. Possible one of (if not the) best band of all time, IMO. Everything they did (except for a few studio albums) was sheer brilliance. Great jamming skills, they worked off eachother so well.

Phish - also a great example. Though nothing like the Dead, they could definately jam

Allman Brothers - another great jam band. Awesome guitarists with an nice southern touch

And, thought not technically a jam artist, Frank Zappa and his band were amazing improvisors/jammers

VR05
04-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, i definetly agree on all those points, especially frank zappa.... although his bands were not technically jam bands, a lot of jam bands are influenced by him... anyone on UG in a jam band, or got any songs to listen to of your band? me and my cousin, and some kids from school are starting a band in that genre.... jam band, rock, etc etc you know, it should be a lot of fun

KingBrendan5149
04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Jam Bands rule. I really like Phish, The Allman Brothers, and The Grateful Dead.

Rock1986
04-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Zeppelin could definately jam

myvaliantleap
04-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Steel Train!!! Listen to the song Gypsy Waves.

VR05
04-17-2006, 02:41 PM
umm bud.... led zeppelin was by no means a Jam Band... steel train? never heard of them, ill give it a listen

Rock1986
04-19-2006, 08:21 PM
umm bud.... led zeppelin was by no means a Jam Band... steel train? never heard of them, ill give it a listen

I idn't neccesarily say they were a jam band I said they could jam they often played 20-3o minute versions of their songs, especially Whole lotta love and Dazed and Confused

slinks
04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Moe. and Gov't Mule, in addition to Phish, The Allmans etc....
String Cheese Incident are also good.

VR05
04-21-2006, 03:38 PM
yes, i love gov't mule, they are comin to play somewhere near me...so wish i could go.

Pothead3300
04-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Im in A jam band, PHISH RULES, TAKES IT! Grateful DEad a close second, Railroad Earth, Tea Leaf Green, Jazz Mandolin Project, Derek Trucks. To name a few i suggest.

MeGaDeth2314
06-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm going to have to say Umphrey's Mcgee is my favorite jam band. I saw them live and I have to say I'll probably never hear or see a better concert in my life. They're so incredibly talented, and their improv skills are amazing.

psychodelia
06-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, i definetly agree on all those points, especially frank zappa.... although his bands were not technically jam bands, a lot of jam bands are influenced by him... anyone on UG in a jam band, or got any songs to listen to of your band? me and my cousin, and some kids from school are starting a band in that genre.... jam band, rock, etc etc you know, it should be a lot of fun

My cover band does live jamming sometimes when people are on breaks. We aren't good enough at it to make a set out of it, but I think we're improving a lot. Our last one, I came up with a progression on the spot (not in a particular key either; usually I don't modulate in jams) and the bass and drums followed very well. It's something I want to improve on. I haven't gone to see a good jam band in a while, though.

Gabuydachk
06-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, I have a jam trio that plays everything from metal to swing, but no recordings yet

noah22791
06-23-2006, 05:01 PM
The Derek Trucks Band is insane. Check them out. Especially their Live album at the Georgia Theatre.

ADHDGUITAR
06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Can anyone name a few good phish songs for me? I really want to get into them but i have no idea where to start.

BTW Greatful Dead, Allmans, and Govt. Mule Kick ASS\
Hot Tuna's okay too

deadhead313313
06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
I forgot earlier! Medeski, Martin and Wood. Check those guys.

And if like bluegrass, check out Yonder Mountain String Band. They've got some cool bluegrass jams.

OH! Also, check out North Mississippi All-Stars. Great blues band.

RHCPhysco8
06-26-2006, 10:39 PM
****in' Umprhey's Mc Gee are amazing!

psychodelia
06-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Can anyone name a few good phish songs for me? I really want to get into them but i have no idea where to start.

Here are four. I find it better to concentrate on a few songs instead of downloading oodles and not giving them enough time, but that's just me.

Fee - My favorite Phish song.

Stash - A little jazzier.

Heavy Things - More pop, some like it some don't.

Down with Disease - Pop-rock kinda groove thing. Quoted by lots of wannabe-hippie girls in my school's yearbook, but I still like it.

Ok fine five songs - Gumbo - the version I have is done with brass backing and I must say I enjoy it.

There's a few directions to go with phish, somebody like Trey-Col can probly help you out a lot more than me. Hopefully this selection doesn't turn you off to them, though.

kev_dunn
06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
i wouldnt consider Dave Matthews Band to be a jam band per se...but theyre great at jamming. its an amazing show live

MountainJam
07-01-2006, 08:57 PM
They may be Bluegrass, but Old and in the Way is a great jam band (made up of the man Jerry Garcia himself on banjo and David Grisman on Mandolin, inclduing many others like Peter Kahn). I also am a big fan of Railroad Earth

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
deffinently mars volta when they go on their jam rampages

Mars Volta - No.

Jam band examples - Grateful Dead, Phish, String Cheese, Caution Jam, etc.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
07-12-2006, 09:45 PM
i wouldnt consider Dave Matthews Band to be a jam band per se...but theyre great at jamming. its an amazing show live

They're oookkkkkk at 'jamming' but I wouldn't consider them a jam band.

psychodelia
07-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know of any Celtic type jam bands? Somehow I would think that style would lend itself well to a jam format.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
I actually downloaded a song from a celtic style jam band but I've forgotten the name :-(

Black Star
07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I would like to get into bands like Phish and the Allman Brothers. I'd also like to hear some more of the Grateful Dead. I already know Touch of Grey, Friend of the Devil, Casey Jones, and Truckin'. Can anybody suggest some more songs from any of the bands mentioned? Thanks :)

telex289
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
well see the thing with jambands is, you MIGHT like to start listening to some studio stuff, but its worthless at the same time.

you can listen to all of Phish's studio albums, but some songs might be played different live, they might not even play some songs, all these other kinds of stuff.

allman brothers is an exception i guess but same basic thing.

so here's some stuff to get into listenig to some jam bands:

The Allman Brother's Band:

- The Fillmore Concerts album (deluxe because it has both nights) Live CD
- Eat a Peach (amazing album, came out right after Duane Allman died but still good nonethe less) Studio Album
- 9/19/71 Archival Release. i've yet to find it, but if you find this i need it from you!! it has a RARE version of Blue Sky being played live with duane allman. get it!
- Live at Ludlow Garage, good live album, similar to fillmore east in terms of setlist, but offers a "different" perspective of the songs on the fillmore concerts album.
- Live in San Francisco 73' - Songs from their 1973 summer tour with jerry garcia. awsome.

The Grateful Dead : now i'm not deadhead ill admit that, but i can give you the albums that got ME into them.

- Europe 72', songs from their 1972 tour in europe, its amazing, my favorite song from it is Jack Straw
- Live at the fillmore east 1971 - just awsome
- Grateful Dead from the Mars Hotel - my favorite of their studio albums
- Any Dick's Pick's are reccomended, i ahve a few but i cant really reccomend any specific ones because there are so many

Phish: if you want, get their studio albums because theyre all good but ill reccomend just live stuff.

- 8/1/03 - 8/3/03 - Phish's IT festival up in maine. they played a 3-day festival and if you want from me, ill send it to you over AIM. its amazing im telling you that you'll be blown away.

- A Live One - Phish's first live album, release in 95, if you want to check out ANY live phish, this is the essential thing to check out first.

- Hampton Comes Alive - an enourmous 6-cd set covering their run in a 2 day show at hampton, va. its a really good album, alot of good music on here

- 12/31/95 - you can buy this is in stores, its their new years eve show at madison square garden in 95, its amazing as well. infact, i was reading an outside-review and they claimed this one was one of t he ebst shows of 1995.

Black Star
07-13-2006, 10:16 AM
- 8/1/03 - 8/3/03 - Phish's IT festival up in maine. they played a 3-day festival and if you want from me, ill send it to you over AIM. its amazing im telling you that you'll be blown away.

That'd be great. My AIM screenname is walker1984.

guitarhero?
07-13-2006, 04:31 PM
a lot of great bands that arent "jam bands" still jammed alot on stage and off such as Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Zeppelin etc.
I definitely love the Dead and Allman Brothers, not a huge fan of phish though

play th' geetar
07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
i went to a concert with phil lesh and friends, and trey and mike featuring the benuvento/russo duo and it was amazing page also showed up so that was cool

telex289
07-14-2006, 02:19 AM
which show, last night's in burlington, or utica?

i saw phil & friends the 7th at jones beach.. awsome show

aetherspear
08-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I just got into jam bands pretty recently when i got the amazing cd Live/Dead. The first track i heard was Feedback, and i thought "if this is jam band music than sign me the f*** up!" I can't believe i had been missing all of that great music.

telex289
08-10-2006, 12:58 AM
get the dead's fillmore east 1971 show.. and europe 72'.. **** just get all their live ****! i'm not a huge dead fan, but there's nothing better than live music my friend.

myter binsderti
08-18-2006, 10:21 PM
keller williams is a great jammer...illegal smile is one of the most well played songs ive ever jeard

Chordvine
12-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey all,
Watch SOMETHING RELEVANT's jam sessions- a talented, eclectic mix of musicians from India.
Their influences include Dispatch, Phish, Dvae Matthews Band, among others.
Bombays best Jam band!

BARBEQUED MOSQUITOES:
http://chordvine.com/videos/jam-sessions-something-relevant-barbeque-mosquito

THE COMFORT SONG:
http://chordvine.com/videos/jam-sessions-something-relevant-comfort-song

soundgarden19
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey all,
Watch SOMETHING RELEVANT's jam sessions- a talented, eclectic mix of musicians from India.
Their influences include Dispatch, Phish, Dvae Matthews Band, among others.
Bombays best Jam band!

BARBEQUED MOSQUITOES:
http://chordvine.com/videos/jam-sessions-something-relevant-barbeque-mosquito

THE COMFORT SONG:
http://chordvine.com/videos/jam-sessions-something-relevant-comfort-song

Yo man, as much as I love jam bands, this thread is two years old.

skankingeasy
12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
keller williams is a great jammer...illegal smile is one of the most well played songs ive ever jeard
I was surprised no one mentioned Keller Williams earlier...he's probably one of the best in the biz when it comes to jamming...not to mention he does it by himself. Great live performer.

I'm not entirely sure if all these qualify as jam bands but they're all great.

Tea Leaf Green
Umphrey's
Derek Trucks Band
Moe
Bela Fleck
Dispatch
String Cheese
Yonder Mountain
Widespread Panic
New Monsoon
Robert Randolph

Anyone know any more blues, reggae, or bluegrass inspired jam bands?

Hagane1340
12-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains

moe.

Beakwithteeth
12-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Tea Leaf Green
Umphrey's
Derek Trucks Band
Moe
Bela Fleck
Dispatch
String Cheese
Yonder Mountain
Widespread Panic
New Monsoon
Robert Randolph

Anyone know any more blues, reggae, or bluegrass inspired jam bands?

Blues:
Gov't Mule

Reggae:
Michael Franti and Spearhead (sorta

Bluegrass:
Hot Buttered Rum
Sam Bush Band
New Grass Revival
Old and In The Way