rosewood vs mahogany

PDA

View Full Version : rosewood vs mahogany

washburn001
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Which wood combination would sound better solid spruce top with maghogany b&s or solid spruce top with rosewood b&s? What would the mahgany and rosewood what the type of music are these suited good for?

tHewHiteHendrix
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
i believe rosewood would give you a more mellow tone.. i think mahogony is more bright... i'd go w/ the rosewood personally

moe_d
04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
mahogany will give out great mid range notes, good for all styles of playing.
rosewood is bassier and can be bright too

CorduroyEW
04-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Rosewood is heavy, moderatly dence and is very oily. Heavy adds sustain and the oil makes it bassy and warm. The fact that it is moderatly dence means that it has a bit of sparkle in the high end tone. The oil and weight of rosewood make it so that it has a slow attac which makes it unsutable for some types of music.

Mahogany is very responsice and can be very loud as well. It has a quick attac which gives it the illusion of being very bright. The density verries a lot on mahogany. Sometimes it is as dence as rosewood which gives it nice sparkle in the high end but sometimes it isn't very dence which gives it a very strong midrange. Mahogany has a nice bass end without being overwhelming. It is not as "musical" as rosewood but tends to work better for things like recording because the bass isn't as overwhelming.

One type of wood is not any better than the other. It all depends on your style of music. I like rosewood when I'm fingerpicking and playing folk. I like mahogany for recording, playing bluse, playing music with an old school contry feel (like Jim croce)playing with a pick, and any lead work I might be doing.

IThinkNot
04-18-2006, 09:17 PM
As a side note, what do you guys think of koa?

tHewHiteHendrix
04-18-2006, 11:18 PM
koa has warmth and sustain similar to mahogany and also possesses the clear open tone of alder. got that off the carvin website. sure does look nice.

CorduroyEW
04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
As a side note, what do you guys think of koa?

I really like koa. It is very similar to mahogany except it has a lot of oil in it. The oil gives it a little more sustain and bass but it also makes it so it isn't as responsive as Mahogany. To bad koa is so rare and expensive.

IamJonsCranium
04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
koa is very nice, probably my favorite. try gutiars made of 'dao'. it is like koa but cheaper. fender makes some and also alvarez. they are laminate, so, with the alvarez, there will be a note that sounds very punchy and has no sustain ('A' on the alvarez guitars).

what he said about a 'clear open tone' is very accurate. the sound really projects with koa and dao. my alvarez is great for mic recording.

jimtaka
04-20-2006, 06:43 PM
koa is absolutely gorgeous, probably my favorite wood based on looks alone, but i've yet to be terribly impressed with its tonal qualities considering its priciness... i pine for the day i find a guitar made of koa wood that blows me away though!! it looks so great!!

Occupied By Tim
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
I've heard that Koa/Sitka Spruce makes a great acoustic guitar. What do you think about it for an electric?