band money

PDA

View Full Version : band money

LTJT
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
hey everyone,
i started playing guitar about 7 months ago and am in a band. i have already baughten 750$ worth of gear(2guitars and 1amp) and i was wondering if anyone actaully makes money off there bands and if they do does it even pay off for how much u paid for gear?? my amp right now is only 30 wats so i could only do small gigs but if i got doing bigger gigs i would have to buy a 120W amp for 500$ making it 1250$ on gear. im also wondering what the best way to get gigs is and how soon we should think about recording a cd.

danman92701
04-16-2006, 09:37 PM
If you're good and get good gigs and make good CDs, you will make money.

If you suck, you just wasted some money.

Remebol
04-16-2006, 09:54 PM
baughten .

LTJT
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
well i was wanting to know if any bands out there do make money off of gigs and how much is your highest pay? i just want to know my odds of even making money because i hear even if the band is good its hard to find paying gigs.

NotAJock2Day
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Whoa. You sound friggen like me mate. I've been playing for 8 months, spent about $1250 on equipment and our first gig is this Saturday. Honestly? It will be a long time before you break even.

Our first gig is paying $500, but that's divided among 4 people so that's not much at all. At $125 per person that would take me 10 gigs of that pay to break even. Odds are, taking the risk is the only way you have a chance to make money.

As for recording CD's, it's important that they don't suck. Record everything, show only the best. Since money is an issue, I won't suggest getting studio time. Get Audicity, it's free... In a band there are too many variables to put a time frame on ANYTHING.

LTJT
04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
wow your first gig is paying 500$? most people who have offered my band gigs wouldnt be paying anything but i thought that was a good start. i was wondering if i have been playing for 7 months and am not that good and mess up is songs sometimes do you think i should still get the band gigs?? if u could tell me how to look for gigs that pay that would be awesome.

NotAJock2Day
04-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah, we're very very fortunate. We'd take anything, but it just happened to turn out amazingly better than not getting paid at all. There's this band promoter in our town that gets young bands gigs wherever. Look for somebody like that. Music is a business. Get in touch with bands in your area and see who gets them gigs. Get numbers and such.

In all the business, DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE MUSIC. Sorry to caps that but don't plan a gig unless you have material. Our gig is Saturday and we booked that two months ago with about the half the material we really needed. We're pretty much done with our song set and we're running with this. So much of this is based on luck.

For you, you don't sound confident in yourself as a player. I've only been playing for a month longer than you and I'm stupid/confident enough to try to hold my own with my band on stage. Major divebombs will occur if you're not content with your abilites. And in a band, you have put trust in every person on stage with you, even those behind the scenes like the man operating the mixer. Think realistically, if you booked a gig for even 3 months away from now would you and your band be ready? We've been a band since I started playing... I had to work my ass off to catch up to my friend that has been playing for 3 years with lessons. Dedicate and give everything.

LTJT
04-16-2006, 11:52 PM
i have found local bands but i dont know were i could find someone to give gigs... well anyways i would really play non stop if i knew what to play i have an instructer who gives me stuff that i dont need and BS the lesson. so ya i ordered some books to help me i hope that works out because my band wants to start gigs soon.

NotAJock2Day
04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
>_< If you have a guitar teacher that's teaching you nothing, doesn't that add to the money issue?

What to play is what this forum is for, the people here are a hell of a lot better players than you or me with a lot more experience. If you've been taking lessons and they're not good then pick up Guitar for Dummies. It'll teach you what you need to be an average player and it covers a few music styles after the basics. The basic idea behind it is that it teaches guitar, not how to read music through the guitar. There's also a nice CD that you can play along to. That's how I started out initially. Just because it says for dummies, don't be a dummy about trying something useful.

After you "master" Guitar for Dummies which since you've already been playing for a while you'll need some theory to progress as a player. I didn't much trouble with this since I'm taking a college level music course for trumpet (I'm a freshman in High School). A good place to start with this would be CyberFret.com. For concentrated info that's better than here since usually you'd have to dig through mounds and mounds of garbage topics to hit gold. >_<

After that, just jam with people better than you and hang around here... learn songs you're not used to playing. Steve Vai's 10-hour Workout is awesome...

There's right and wrong way to grow, whatever works for you.

If your band's too anxious to get gigs it'll be difficult in general. Ask the local bands how they get gigs. Everyone's area is different so I would not know your area.

LTJT
04-17-2006, 07:46 PM
oh whats steve Vais 10 hour workout?? well i dont pay for my lessons it was sort of a present but i am going to stop this month because i am not learning enough to be paying over a dollar a minute. but besides that i jam with people better then me every week and i think that helps alot in a way. and for the music theory i have ordered some books. I really think i can do gigs at this time without messing up much its just performing in front of people that makes me nervouse sence i have never done it, but it might turn out good and i might get into it but i dont know because i have never done it so i dont know what to expect. my band is also looking for horns... would going to the school band and asking them be worth it or just an embaresment and waste of time?

stringmagician
04-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Whoa. You sound friggen like me mate. I've been playing for 8 months, spent about $1250 on equipment and our first gig is this Saturday. Honestly? It will be a long time before you break even.

Our first gig is paying $500, but that's divided among 4 people so that's not much at all. At $125 per person that would take me 10 gigs of that pay to break even. Odds are, taking the risk is the only way you have a chance to make money.

As for recording CD's, it's important that they don't suck. Record everything, show only the best. Since money is an issue, I won't suggest getting studio time. Get Audicity, it's free... In a band there are too many variables to put a time frame on ANYTHING.

your getting $500 for your FIRST GIG?!?! WTF!!!!!!!! :grrr: I've been playing covers for gigs for a while anywhere i can, and I haven't made any money at all! How old are you?

NotAJock2Day
04-17-2006, 11:21 PM
oh whats steve Vais 10 hour workout?? well i dont pay for my lessons it was sort of a present but i am going to stop this month because i am not learning enough to be paying over a dollar a minute. but besides that i jam with people better then me every week and i think that helps alot in a way. and for the music theory i have ordered some books. I really think i can do gigs at this time without messing up much its just performing in front of people that makes me nervouse sence i have never done it, but it might turn out good and i might get into it but i dont know because i have never done it so i dont know what to expect. my band is also looking for horns... would going to the school band and asking them be worth it or just an embaresment and waste of time?

10 hour workout is a string of good figures for exercising guitar technique and accuracy. If you think you can do it, then by all means. Don't think about embarassment when asking for people from a school band. We're nice people. (heh) A lot of time there's no motivation to play in school so just give them somewhere useful and cool to show off their talent.

your getting $500 for your FIRST GIG?!?! WTF!!!!!!!! I've been playing covers for gigs for a while anywhere i can, and I haven't made any money at all! How old are you?

$500 for our first gig. We're just lucky... for all we know the next 10 gigs could pay nothing. >_< We would have settled to play in a place that wouldn't pay us just so we could get our name out there. We just got a better deal I guess. My 15th birthday just happens to be Wednesday by the way. Everyone in my band is 14-15. It's at a sports bar All Ages Show.

stringmagician
04-18-2006, 12:18 AM
10 hour workout is a string of good figures for exercising guitar technique and accuracy. If you think you can do it, then by all means. Don't think about embarassment when asking for people from a school band. We're nice people. (heh) A lot of time there's no motivation to play in school so just give them somewhere useful and cool to show off their talent.

$500 for our first gig. We're just lucky... for all we know the next 10 gigs could pay nothing. >_< We would have settled to play in a place that wouldn't pay us just so we could get our name out there. We just got a better deal I guess. My 15th birthday just happens to be Wednesday by the way. Everyone in my band is 14-15. It's at a sports bar All Ages Show.

man, thats some luck dude. happy birthday by the way, I'm fifteen too and my first gig was at a huge great stage. i havent been one as nice since. if your my age unless your getting lucky breaks like a bitch :p: you wont get paid for more than your next ten gigs. Then again, i might just have bad luck :peace: What kind of music do you play? and are they covers or originals? PM me with all of this by the way so we don't cloud up this kids thread, lol

GuitarGod610
04-18-2006, 01:11 AM
$125 for a 14-year-old is ALOT of money. Most of them don't realize it yet, though. But so is the amount of gear that you have.

Martyr's Prayer
04-18-2006, 01:52 PM
In my band all money from gigs goes to the band as a whole, to get new equipment, merch, and gas. If we divided it amongst ourselves it would just be goofy becuase we'd spend it on gear anyways. This band we're real close with called Providence makes a ton of money on average between pay and merch, and they still don't get any of it to themselves, aside from using it as a band to eat and sleep on the road. Although I did fill in for their drummer for a week on an out of state tour and they payed me $300, or 10% of what they made on the trip. And that money is now in my new drumset fund. Your band has to be your life, and wasting money on anything outside of that is money down the drain.

Dan Steinman
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
In my band all money from gigs goes to the band as a whole, to get new equipment, merch, and gas. If we divided it amongst ourselves it would just be goofy becuase we'd spend it on gear anyways. This band we're real close with called Providence makes a ton of money on average between pay and merch, and they still don't get any of it to themselves, aside from using it as a band to eat and sleep on the road. Although I did fill in for their drummer for a week on an out of state tour and they payed me $300, or 10% of what they made on the trip. And that money is now in my new drumset fund. Your band has to be your life, and wasting money on anything outside of that is money down the drain.

Good call. Invest your money back into the band, especially use it to record and produce CD's: sell em' at a show and you'll do much better than just relying on the generosity of the guy who hired you. Spend money only on things that will help you make money, for example, it is wiser to buy bigger amps so you can play bigger, higher-paying gigs than to buy shiny new guitars that won't really help you much. Nobody in the audience is gonna be able to tell an epiphone from a gibson.