Most Underrated guitarist

PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated guitarist

Pages : [1] 2

GuitarJunkie
04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
yea so i saw one for bassits so i figured i make this one

I would say tom morello

i know he is relatively well known but i dont think he gets enough credit for the amazing things he can do with the guitar....he is up there with hendrix IMO in terms of pioneering the instrument

curtis loew
04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
there have been so many" underrated guitarist " threads. if i were you, i would delete this before you are hit with extreme flammage

GNR4EVER
04-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I always think of Robert Smith (The Cure) When I hear this question. Great guitarist, Very Under-rated

GuitarJunkie
04-17-2006, 11:12 AM
there have been so many" underrated guitarist " threads. if i were you, i would delete this before you are hit with extreme flammage

right but ive never seen one beucase i dont post in the forums alot until recently..so...no

Pedricko
04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
My vote goes for Mick Ronson.

That guy knew his shiznit.

EV6
yeah tom morello is definetly underrated. also, im gunna say buckethead. everyone flames on him cuz he dances like a fag and wears a mask but he can really play.

Dæmönika
Uli Roth...not a lot of people have heard him but his style is unique

scoob666
04-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Prince

glib homunculus
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Buckethead

danman92701
04-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Hendrix is overrated

Underrated, hmm, I'd have to say Malmsteen/Satriani because they don't get enough attention outside the guitar world

BLAKK:JAKK
04-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Great Tread Man!!!!!
I Think That Tony Rombola From Godsmack Is One Of The Best Soloists Of All Time...
He Is Very Complete...nice Riffs...good Use Of Effects...nice Tone...nice Songs...
He Is Outstanding...

broady15
04-17-2006, 11:23 AM
dan hawkins

AxeAbuser#2
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Prince

good answer, his playing technique is truly awesome.

i'd say, Chris Rea

mrFood
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Jack White. Tom Morello.

fronkpies
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
rory gallagher/roy buchanan/stevie ray vaughan

StratRat13
04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Robert Johnson.....I'll give this thrad a cookie if more than 3 people even know who he is.

thewiserafiki
04-17-2006, 11:42 AM
robert johnsons pretty famous actually, because page and clapton talk about him all the time, and also because of the movie crossroads

nomoretablejeef
04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Robert Johnson.....I'll give this thrad a cookie if more than 3 people even know who he is.
hmm looks like im the 2nd person

i'd say kurt rosinwinkle.

ghost_blues
04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
rory gallagher / john frusciante / jack white

slashVR
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Mick Mars

Remebol
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Out side of the guitar world, guys like satch and eric johnson arent well known.

But they are both very fabulous guitarist.

Volkl
04-17-2006, 12:21 PM

Well I watched crossroads yesterday. So I'm the third.

Claudio Sanchez from Coheed & Cambria's actually a very good guitar player (so's Travis Stever for that matter). He was shredding like crazy on the Final Cut when I saw them.

grimreaper65
04-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Prince

Prince is great. I saw him on SNL a while back and he was awesome.

GuitarJunkie
04-17-2006, 01:45 PM

The most bad ass delta bluesman of all time....writer of Crossroads the sond that clapton made even more famous

dragoon_mage2
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
robert johnsons pretty famous actually, because page and clapton talk about him all the time, and also because of the movie crossroads

He is one of the best blues players ever.....alot of songs have been remade...most notably Crossroads which was remade into "Crossroad Blues" by Cream or Eric Clapton one or the other and the movie "Crossroads".

anyways I can't really think of an underrated guitarist......if you're mentioning them here maybe they aren't as underrated as you think but i don't know.....

-BobboHead-
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Rivers Cuomo

cliff_em_all
04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Prince
*claps*

rich_sg
04-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Dave Grohl. He's actually pretty damn good.

bben
04-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Tom Morello? Are you joking? If anything, he's OVERrated.

rhcp lover
04-17-2006, 03:04 PM
1) john frusciante= the man is a god in funk and the best emotional solos u can ever hear.
2)prince= no one talks about him here, the solo in the song purple rain is one of the best ive ever heard.
3) the guitarist of incubus. i love his riffs.

scoob666
04-17-2006, 03:43 PM
^ Prince's solos in Let's Get Crazy are even better.

SomeEvilDude
04-17-2006, 04:01 PM
The most under-rated guitarist of all time:

Malcolm Jones.

End of argument.

rhcp lover
04-17-2006, 04:08 PM
^ Prince's solos in Let's Get Crazy are even better.

i will download the song thnx :cheers:

sadistic_monkey
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
3) the guitarist of incubus. i love his riffs.Mike Einziger. He has some serious talent, but plays to promote the music rather than just show off.

Adam Jones too. He doesn't sound like much at first, but HOLY CRAP.

kermitclein
04-17-2006, 08:48 PM
how bout the boys from travis - on the later albums their pretty unexciting, but i saw em live and they could definately play!

TJM2482
04-17-2006, 09:01 PM

I would say tom morello

i know he is relatively well known but i dont think he gets enough credit for the amazing things he can do with the guitar....he is up there with hendrix IMO in terms of pioneering the instrument
When i read the thread, i instantly thought Tom Morello.

Tom Morello is one of the most innovative guitarists ever to pick up the instrument.

joshsirjoshules
04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
You guys have said pretty much everyone I was gonna say, especially Prince. I'm mostly disgusted that you guys didn't think or know he was a great guitarist until that SNL performance.

So here:

Bernard Sumner (New Order)
Roger McGuinn (The Byrds)
Syd Barrett (early Pink Floyd)

bassfunked
04-18-2006, 09:34 AM
i have to agree about john frusciante.
hes seriously under-rated.

im gonna have to say paul gilbert too,
hes fantastic,
and as far as i know hes not well known.

abnormel
04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
have to agree, paul gilbert owns... although I am very underrated too :(

JayJayE
04-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Johnny Marr

Johnny Marr has to be one of the most underated guitarist EVER. Now and in his own time. Probably because he never played many solos but his rhythm work is extreamely complex and very, very difficult to play.

I bet many people don't even know who he is.........

I agree about Robert Smith, Adam Jones, Prince and John Frusciante (all sadly underated :() but Johnny Marr takes the cake for outstanding but underated guitarists.

Jonny02
04-18-2006, 12:08 PM
omar rodriguez lopez of the mars volta is surely one of the unsung heros. His solos on frances the mute are masterful

GuitarJunkie
04-18-2006, 01:17 PM
When i read the thread, i instantly thought Tom Morello.

Tom Morello is one of the most innovative guitarists ever to pick up the instrument.

Yess! thank you, lol...i know someone said he is overrated...and now that i think about it...he is definately not as underrated as some of the great guitarist mentioned by others...but i think he has definately pushed the instrument further than any guitarist today has, and thats what he dosn't get enough credit for.

Jakeylee111
04-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Nuno.

Super Slinky PJ
04-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Rory Gallagher is the most underated guitarist, and Jimi Hendrix is the most overated guitarist.

_ZE_
04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Head from KoRn

mickmarsfreak69
04-20-2006, 11:23 PM
:finger: Mick Mars

Why Mick Mars? hes not over or under rated.... :finger:

HangmaN47
04-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Tom Morello everybody syas his album solo are talentless, but when i saw him play live(in front row) the stuff he made up on the spot was pretty insane, like a really fast randy rhoads solos....
and i'd say the dudes from the darkness

outofmyelement?
04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
George Harrison
oneof the greatest who gets pushed to the side when people think of the beatles....
thats my opinion

DrownTheCaptain
04-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Vinnie Moore gets my vote, without a doubt. He couldn't get enough attention for his playing to ever justify calling it overrated.

Chak
04-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Gary Lee Conner

SGRocker0791
04-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Chris Amott.

slashshredder07
04-29-2006, 09:22 PM
because i dont usually see them mentioned on any forums i say...

synyster gates and zacky vengeance (avenged sevenfold)

i believe them to be one of the best rythym and lead guitarist combinations since the beggining of music. their harmonizing solo work is phenominal and they write really powerful riffs. and its usually only the A7X fans who know their names.

the narrows
04-29-2006, 10:01 PM
theyve all been said but for me...
Tom Morello
Adam Jones
Omar rodriguez

Myrdinn
04-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, Alvin Lee, and I'll toss in Andy Latimer from Camel.

joshsirjoshules
04-30-2006, 01:03 AM
JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! JAMES HONEYMAN-SCOTT!!! LISTEN TO ME!!!

Damn, this post took up a lot of space.

Shadowz_at_Dawn
05-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Ian D'Sa from billy talent is underrated, he's actually really good.

BigFatSandwich
05-09-2006, 03:47 AM
hmm looks like im the 2nd person

3rd. Now where's our cookies?

Hmm... I'm gonna have to say daniel johns...
cause I've never heard anything from him that I haven't liked.

TyphoidSpider
05-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Adam Jones for sure. Can't be said enough, sorry. Most of my favourite riffs ever are from him, not very technical but clever nonetheless.

Syn Harvest
05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I think the A7X guitarists are way overated especially by little teenagers. And to the guy who said they are the best Rhythm lead combination since music id say you are sadly mistaken. i can think of a few duos alot better than them

Hetfield and Hammett
STradlin and Slash
The Young Brothers
Joe Perry and sadly iforgot his name the rhythm guitarist in Aerosmith

Underrated Guitarists
John Frusicante
Tom Morello

Doubleday
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
1) john frusciante= the man is a god in funk and the best emotional solos u can ever hear.
2)prince= no one talks about him here, the solo in the song purple rain is one of the best ive ever heard.
3) the guitarist of incubus. i love his riffs.
+1

..NEM..
05-10-2006, 03:54 PM
if john frusciante is the guitarist for rhcp, then i agree.

also, peter lindgren from opeth.

cnut
05-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Johnny Marr. His chord progressions are some of the most complex I've ever heard. His riffs brought life to the music of The Smiths.

aperfectshot176
05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Glenn Danzig, Frank Iero, Ray Toro

GuitarManiac09
05-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Im suprised no one has mentioned michael angelo batio, he is awesome. Unfortunately, not many people who dont play guitar know who he is...:(

nirvanafanatic
05-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Personaly it mst be Kurt Cobain,
For the reason that he changed the world of music, and brought about a whole new style to music that no-one every thought of.
Alot of people think he's over-rated for smells like teen spirit, and then dismiss him as cr@p, but if you take into account all of his earlyer work, you will be amazed with the chordes/ rythem and tempo of his earlier stuff. Also his ability to play perfect left and right handed is truely something to aspire to.

Nuf Said.

sheumack111
05-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Frank Zappa..... Steve vai's biggest influence..... Need i say more??

goo_fan
05-15-2006, 02:19 PM

lol yeah he's pretty famous actually, so i'd imagine a lot of people here know of him!!

mr_peeps
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
For the reason that he changed the world of music, and brought about a whole new style to music that no-one every thought of.

One word, Pixies.

but if you take into account all of his earlyer work, you will be amazed with the chordes/ rythem and tempo of his earlier stuff.

Wrong.

Also his ability to play perfect left and right handed is truely something to aspire to.

Nuf Said.
uhm... I love you? but wrong.

+1 for Prince, check out I'm Your's

Craigster
05-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Johnny Marr is considered (in the UK at least) as one of the greatest guitar players of his generation, and how is Frank Zappa underrated? You might as well just say Jimmy Page.

As for Prince, it's more that people don't know he even plays guitar, few people who have heard him play would underrate him.

I'd say Lou Reed is not really thought of as a great guitar player, but I adore his playing. I think any rythm guitar player is gonna suffer from not being a famous guitar player, in the mainstream, because it is easy to hear some outlandish solo and think 'wow', whereas I'd say rythm guitar is pretty subtle in many ways. I mean, nobody air-guitars chords, do they?

Spaleno
05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
James Hetfield

ezequiel89
05-19-2006, 04:45 PM
[/QUOTE]

i downloaded about 5 of his songs just to hear if he was good, and i think he is slightly underrated too. i also think George Harrison is a bit underrated in my opinion.

Syn Harvest
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
James Hetfield

What Are You talking about Underated He fronts the Biggest Metal Band of All Time. Highly Respected as one of the Greatest Rhythm players of all time. He is in no way underratted. he deserves all the credit hes got. he is the FOunder of the Underground Metal and Thrash Scene. Credited as writing some of the best Metal SOngs and Riffs of All time. I think Your Confused

HendrixII
05-20-2006, 10:43 PM
anyone who says hendrix is overrated is a douche

bonchie1
05-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Alot of people think he's over-rated for smells like teen spirit, and then dismiss him as cr@p, but if you take into account all of his earlyer work, you will be amazed with the chordes/ rythem and tempo of his earlier stuff. Also his ability to play perfect left and right handed is truely something to aspire to.

Nuf Said.

hahahahahahahahahahahah...no seriously..this is a joke right?

changing music for the worst and ushering in the total destruction of real musicianship in moderm music doesn't deserve a rating.

m.k.
05-21-2006, 01:05 AM
For the reason that he changed the world of music, and brought about a whole new style to music that no-one every thought of..

Too bad:
1. There were so many bands playing that same type of music at the time.

and 2. Most people would rather listen to paint dry.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned Mike McCready yet. I saw Pearl Jam play tonight, and he played Yellow Ledbetter behind his back, everything including the solo.

ph3n0m
05-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Does Neil Zaza count?

JD7
05-21-2006, 01:49 AM
What about Luca Turilli? I'm not sure, but I think his underrated. Amazing guitarist, I think anyway.

mexican_shred
05-21-2006, 01:52 AM
Andres Sergovia, Django. Not enough people have heard the genious/greatness of these men.

others: Prince(he ruled).

joshsirjoshules
05-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Andres Sergovia, Django. Not enough people have heard the genious/greatness of these men.

others: Prince(he ruled).

And Django only had two fingers.

Matt_Malmsteen
05-22-2006, 02:09 PM
anyone who says hendrix is overrated is a douche

Why? because they're right?
He gets voted greatest guitarist ever from most magazines, which is complete bull****, one of the most influential yes, but for technical ability and composition and technique he is very, very far away from the greatest ever.

And for most under rated guitarists I'd have to say Ritchie Blackmore and Brian May, also Robert Smith, some of his chord stuff is just beautiful.

n-ocentcriminal
05-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks mk, Mike McCready is way underrated. Also, Chris Cornell gets no credit and neither does Stone Gossard, he comes up with some awesome ass riffs. But I guess ppl can rip on Kurt all they want to, he is pretty iconic and I doubt any of the criticism is going to effect his status much.

Cedence
05-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Larry Lalonde of Primus

Niff
05-23-2006, 05:08 AM
Daron Malakian. *is promptly stabbed*

Honestly though, the stuff he comes up with is creative and goofy. He's not generally considered a really skilled player, so I think he's underrated in some respect.

the irish rover
05-23-2006, 07:56 AM
the edge- U2

AWA
05-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Billy Corgan
Greg Ginn
Mick Ronson
James Iha
Billy Howerdel
Adam Jones
Larry LeLonde
Syd Barrett
George Harrison
Tom Morello

thats all I can think of right now

Seth Shadow
05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Why? because they're right?
He gets voted greatest guitarist ever from most magazines, which is complete bull****, one of the most influential yes, but for technical ability and composition and technique he is very, very far away from the greatest ever.
FINALLY someone says it like it is!

But I Think One of the most under-rated guitarists is Zacky Vangance - Avenged Sevenfold

Spaleno
06-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Great Tread Man!!!!!
I Think That Tony Rombola From Godsmack Is One Of The Best Soloists Of All Time...
He Is Very Complete...nice Riffs...good Use Of Effects...nice Tone...nice Songs...
He Is Outstanding...defiently have to agree

claypoolfan
07-04-2006, 10:57 PM
larry lalonde(primus)
alex lifeson(rush)
adam jones(tool)

Kurt123
07-06-2006, 01:40 AM

Nuf Said.

agreed completely

Kurt123
07-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Nuf Said.

agreed completely

and john frusicante isnt that bad either....lol when he was 19 he used to practice 15 hours a day...wow

dankillmall
07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Mick Mars
J from white zombie
Jeff Healey
Nils Lofgren
rich ward from fozzy
johnny lang

the1
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Brian May, Stone Gossard, Mark Arm, Steve Turner, Jerry Cantrell, Kim Thayil, Chris Cornell.

the1
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Soz for double.

If Kurt was so crap and simple, then why didnt any1 else do it before him? Alot of the stuff on Incesticide has good guitaring. Not complex, but good. i.e Mexican Seafodd. Just because he doesnt shred doesnt mean he is crap. Sometimes you need to go back to basics to remind people that any1 can do it. Think of how many people he inspired to play the guitar, like me. Like Mick Thompson said, "Kurtcouldn't play complicated appregios, but he wrote SLTS, and thats enough."

racerj
07-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Dean DeLeo and Tom Morello

also, Slash never seems to get onto any "Top 40 guitarists of all time" lists or anything like that, even though his solos have more emotion than most emo bands

Tadely
07-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I think Jack White from the Whiite Stripes is a good guitarist. Also the rythm guitarists from the Strokes are great together,

shanecahn
07-07-2006, 07:03 PM
larry lalonde(primus)
alex lifeson(rush)
adam jones(tool)

I compleatly agree with you exept i would add George Lynch he is so creative with his songs he doesnt just use power chords he uses the really chords and tons of variations and then Alex Lifeson who is the origional Riff mister what better riffs have you heard, And Adam Jones, he is not one of those crazy guitarists but he can make the most awsome sounds and the coolest riffs and he knows how to lay back.

Genocidal_wingz
07-08-2006, 10:32 AM
John Frusciante definately. His solo's are the only ones that actually make me get all teary.
It's f*cking marvelous..
Also Prince and Frank Zappa.

Eggnog666
07-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Kurt Cobain made catchy, awesome music..

but i'm tired of the "genius" label.

he was guy with no real knowledge of music who threw together powerchords and created some of the most memorable tunes ever.

but innovative? not in the least bit.

Monkeygone2hvn
07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
jonny greenwood of radiohead is my pick for the most underated guitarist, he is a truly inventive player when it comes to guitar and just music in general so i choose him

also omar rodriguez lopez and john frusciante get honorable mentions from me for being so damn good at what they do...

lit1219
07-08-2006, 08:46 PM
id say bjorn gelotte from in flames he is a great guitarist and also michael amott from arch enemy he is an AMAZING soloist check them out

one_way_mule2
07-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Deffinitely The Edge, Daniel Johns (Silverchair) and Kirk Hammett. I say Kirk only because he has always been hidden by Hetfield and is not seen for his legendary guitar mastery!

seamus90'
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Mick Ralphs of Bad co is underrated

guitarhero?
07-13-2006, 04:42 PM
alot of these guitarists being listed already get alot of credit
for example, tom morello is in the top 100 guitarists of all time by Rolling Stone
also, robert johnson is pretty well known and is thought of as a country blues virtuoso which i somewhat disagree with thougth i do like some of his music

ManEatingTree
07-13-2006, 09:45 PM
John Frusciante definently.

gamayshark
07-14-2006, 09:32 PM
A lot of you guys named very well known guitarists who are respected and beloved by rockphiles everywhere (John Frusciante, Jack White, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Robert Johnson, probably the most famous blues Delta bluesman)

I'm gonna go out on limb here and say Doug Martsch of Built to Spill, J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. and Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse. Go ahead and shoot me.

dieloony
07-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Prince

:headbang:

Axis Of Evil
07-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Gary Rossington from Skynyrd. He may not play fast, but he still kicks ass.

guywithguitar
07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't hear much about Brian Setzer, And he's a damn good guitarist.

hammettwyldefan
07-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Deffinitely The Edge, Daniel Johns (Silverchair) and Kirk Hammett. I say Kirk only because he has always been hidden by Hetfield and is not seen for his legendary guitar mastery!

Kirk is a real well known player he has not been hidden at all. I do like some of Metallica's songs, but if anything i think he is overrated.

As for an underrated player i guess i go with Frank Zappa.

I Walk Alone
07-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Malcolm Young.

Yes, he is in AC/DC which is a pretty overrated band, but Angus always takes away his limelight. Remember that Malcolm was once the lead guitar for AC/DC.

Virage
07-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Hugh Cornwall

The ex-Stranglers guitarist.
Hes a good guitarist but he got over shadowed by the keyboardist (Hans Warmling and Dave Greenfield, who replaced him, 2 years after the band was formed) a lot.

brokensoulNC
07-19-2006, 11:50 PM
My first pick: Ani Difranco.
My second pick: Ani Difranco.

Seriously, no one can play acoustic guitar like her. It's the meanest, angriest, most complex rhythm section i've ever heard outside of a few grind core and power metal metal bands. And it's acoustic folk rock.. so.. just wow..

give a listen to songs like "in or out", "light of some kind" "knuckle down" or "gravel" and you'll be stunned.

hardrock1315
07-20-2006, 12:20 AM
stevie ray vaughan

Are you ****ing kidding me? SRV deserves the credit he gets, but he gets A LOT.

Grow up, everyone knows who he is.

Steve Caballero from the Faction is EXTREMELY underrated.

NewSkin_r_rad
07-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Joel Stoetzel from killswitch engage, the man is a legend, easily the most underated guitarist, he carves up, but hes always in the shadows of their other guitarist adam d

Pundog
07-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Hands down Ben Harper. Even if someone does know him they usually only know his simpler accoustic stuff, but when he busts out his lap-slide guitar for a solo there's only a handful of people who can compare to him. Also Jack Johnson is much better than people think, he may not be a shredder or anything but he has some great riffs.

VelvetFireBC491
07-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Andres Segovia guitar would have no theory with out him

Robert Johnson Guitar would have no soul with out him

sirpsycho85
07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
andres segovia is by far the most famous classical guitarist. robert johnson is one of a handful of the most famous blues guitarists. how are they possibly underrated.

kirkisking
07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Vinnie Moore

denabob
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Bob Mould of Husker Du

He paved the road for alternative rock guitar. Without him there would have been no Nirvana, no Pearl Jam, no alternative rock period.

Weapon&TheWound
07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Travis Meeks Of Days Of The New

SGRocker0791
07-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Guitarists in Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

seamus90'
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Underrated, hmm, I'd have to say Malmsteen/Satriani because they don't get enough attention outside the guitar world

i think malmsteen is overated. Sure he is a great guitarist, be he cant wright anything that people can listen to. Take the scary bass solo for instance, how the **** can you enjoy listening to that.

laxdude123
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Mathias Jabs of the scorpions or jake e lee or tom scholz can't decide

European Son
10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I'd say Lou Reed is not really thought of as a great guitar player, but I adore his playing. I think any rythm guitar player is gonna suffer from not being a famous guitar player, in the mainstream, because it is easy to hear some outlandish solo and think 'wow', whereas I'd say rythm guitar is pretty subtle in many ways. I mean, nobody air-guitars chords, do they?
I agree. His rhythm guitar is just amazing. Just listen to songs like What Goes On, Sister Ray or European Son. The rhythm guitar is intense.

I'd say Tom Verlaine, but he's pretty acknowledged. Perhaps not on UG, but by critics and such. Same goes for J Mascis, who pretty much no one's heard of on UG (except for the Alt/Indie kids).

One guitarist that is truly underrated is Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine. The way he uses the whammy bar is very unique, and despite the fact that he's not a very technical guitarist, he's pretty damn innovative.

MartiniKiss7
10-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Larry Lalonde of Primus

pinballwizard92
10-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Brian May
Frank Zappa
Alex Lifeson
Brian Setzer

And while i don't like his music too much, prince is a damn good guitarist

Squid Vicious
10-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Mike McCready of Pearl Jam. The stuff he does live is amazing.

Mental-lica
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM

+1 Especially Malmsteen. Fastest guitarist ever and nobody knows him. :( So sad.

Brian May? More like the most OVERRATED Guitarist ever.

Megalomaniac16
10-07-2007, 04:05 PM
mike einziger.

he has crazy good technical skill, you can't argue that hes not creative, and i've seen him play as fast as a rabid puma on 'roids, so basically, hes got it all.

Mental-lica
10-07-2007, 06:06 PM
i think malmsteen is overated. Sure he is a great guitarist, be he cant wright anything that people can listen to. Take the scary bass solo for instance, how the **** can you enjoy listening to that.

How can anyone listen to him and dislike him if nobodys ever heard of him?

perry589
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
mike einziger.

he has crazy good technical skill, you can't argue that hes not creative, and i've seen him play as fast as a rabid puma on 'roids, so basically, hes got it all.

+1. Plus Jerry Cantrell rarely gets praise. Been a great influence on me.

Perpetual Burn
10-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Vito Bratta from White Lion.

chinkboy7
10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Chris Cornell and Kim Thayl of Soundgarden are both excellent and underrated guitarists. Most people didn't know that Chris Cornell played guitar. And some of the tunings he uses are pretty weird and I haven't seen any other bands use them.

Another underrated guitarist is John Reznick of the Goo Goo Dolls. Any song that came out after Iris is not difficult but if you listen to their earlier stuff he's actually pretty damn good. Try to find their song "Only One" or "Naked"

Pyaar
10-11-2007, 07:27 AM
George Harrison.....

neilinflames09
10-11-2007, 08:38 AM

The Edge just uses heaps of delay, and Kirk is very Overated.

Mental-lica
10-11-2007, 09:05 PM
The Edge? Brian May? Kirk Hammet?

Are you guys all retarted? Seriously!

Klan_fear
10-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Anyone ever hear of a guy called Rory Gallagher? Probably not... Probably the most unrecognized guitarist ever, if your curios look him up.

larry jones
10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Top10 of Alltime
10 Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
9 Vernon Reid (Living Colour)
8 Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah)
7 Phil Keaggy (Glass Harp)
6 Frank Zappa
5 Vito Bratta (White Lion)
4 Robin Trower
3 Jan Akkerman
2 Rory Gallagher
1 Robert Fripp (King Crimson/Brian Eno)

Honorable Mention
in alphabetical order
Lindsey Buckingham, John Cipolina, Tommy Emanuel, Billy Gibbons, Goncalo Pereira, Prince, Uli Jon Roth, Alex Skolnik, Ty Tabor, Johhny Winter.

Pyaar
10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Zappa is very underated but go look at harrison hes got it even worse just because he was a beatle...

jeric0
10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
david trucks, george harrison

Wicked_Bassist7
10-12-2007, 05:08 PM
jade puget, have you heard "dancing through sunday"

Greentreejester
10-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Check out Doc Watson, some one who is so very underated, no one will have heard of him unless you listen to folk or bluegrass.

Elohel
10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
J. Mascis doesn't get enough credit outside of alt. rock fanboys.

zedman
10-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Guitar junkie thank you.Tom never gets any credit for his great guitar skills.

Mental-lica
10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Drake Bell he tought Jimi Hendrix everything he knows!!!

Trey_D
10-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't know, I think Jake E. Lee is pretty underrated. I mean I always seen people argue over who did Bark At the Moon, they say Randy Rhoads, and Zakk Wylde all the time but I've heard very few actually say Jake. Lol just check out the comments http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tab_comment.php?id=163132

karma279
10-28-2007, 04:24 AM
david trucks, george harrison

If you mean Derek Trucks... then Yes.
Prince!
Dave Sabo
Dave Matthews
Jack White
Tim Reynolds
Nuno Bettencourt
Roger Fisher

Tapping_Ninja
10-29-2007, 02:48 PM
If you mean Derek Trucks... then Yes.
Prince!
Dave Sabo
Dave Matthews
Jack White
Tim Reynolds
Nuno Bettencourt
Roger Fisher

That's so true Nuno is the most underrated guitar player ever... Cause he can play better then most the guitar players in the world

DivineDrummer
12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I Don't Know If Any One Mentioned Him... But Alex Lifeson Is Seriously Underrated...

Shpongled
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Jake Cinninger and Brendan Bayliss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwSTBLoVgk

hortonface
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Im suprised that no one has said this yet, but MARK KNOPFLER is underrated.

guitar_loser
12-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Tom Delonge (blink-182)
Tim Armstrong (Rancid)
Lars Fredrickson (Rancid)
Erick Melvin (NOFX)

Blacktooooooth
12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.myspace.com/grotesqueaustralia

the bloke from this band needs a big gold trophey

listen to chaos theory due to the fact they are a local perth band
he is probably one of the most unrecognised people on the planet haha

Colton165
12-30-2008, 03:16 AM
either Steve Morse, Neil Zaza, Guthrie Govan, Chris Broderick, Allan Holdsworth, Johnny Hiland, Brad Paisley, Ken Navarro, Pat Metheny, Andy McKee, or Dave Weiner

these guys are all severely underrated

wakehamthenick
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Joe Bonamassa

Freaky_Styley
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
This thread lacks Eddie Hazel

srvflood
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
This thread lacks Eddie Hazel

Lol, I just came in here to post him. One of my favorites.

xTC's Crushx
12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
I would say Wes Borland i love his tapping. Fredrik Thorendal is super underrated which is what i love! cause i know he kicks ass.

Kmstreet64
12-31-2008, 01:49 AM
I think his name is... Joe Stump? He's a crazy shredder.

And I don't know if he's been mentioned, but John 5. I never hear talk about him.

Count
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
darren robinson

seminoleglory91
12-31-2008, 05:03 PM
billie joe of green day. hes certainley not a god but the guy can shred. catchy riffs and ive never heard him mess up

seminoleglory91
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Tom Delonge (blink-182)
Tim Armstrong (Rancid)
Lars Fredrickson (Rancid)
Erick Melvin (NOFX)
i like this one. tom delonge makes a lot of catchy riffs that stick in your brain. not a god but certainley underrated

Wondewall7
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Robert Johnson all the way

coheed713
01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
claudio sanchez... one of the best guitarists ive ever seen that sings at the same time.

Horny-Egg
01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
buckethead

StreetLight3989
01-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine of Television.

Also D. Boon of Minutemen.

RHCP94
01-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine of Television.

Also D. Boon of Minutemen.
Yep.

travian123
01-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Ritchie Kotzen,Andy Timmons,Chris Broderick,Nuno Bettencourt

goldmember1217
01-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Ian Williams from Battles/Don Caballero gets my vote.

Or Tim Collis from This Town Needs Guns.

Kmstreet64
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
claudio sanchez... one of the best guitarists ive ever seen that sings at the same time.

He's definitely not one of the best, but as a huge Coheed fan I can agree with this. Claudio Sanchez is indeed a many-haired monster on the git-fiddle, hands down.

I like Matt Heafy, the singer of Trivium. He's good.

Ineedmoney427
01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Paul Gilbert. He's not well known enough outside the guitar world even though he's more than just a shredder.

JesterShred
01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
i like this one. tom delonge makes a lot of catchy riffs that stick in your brain. not a god but certainley underrated

... dude... you're ****ing stupid, he sucks, he's a rhythm player only, he's completely limited as to what he can do, and he's not even really a guitarist, he's a ****ty songwriter... i know, i've played with him. not even close to a god, more like whale ****, and doesn't deserve to be close, besides, blink is one of the most overrated bands ever...

JesterShred
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
but yeah, claudio rocks... he plays crazy... his second guitar isn't bad either. i really love nick perry from silvertide, though he's limited to...

Thunderbird660
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I have to say Mick Mars From Motley Crue.

He rocked in the 80's and he rocks now. Anyone that can still kick ass like he can now with a bone disease has to be underrated, and you would be surprised how many people dont know who he is

weezergeek182
01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Maybe Rivers Cuomo from Weezer. that dude can shred if he wants to. also I like dave baksh from Sum 41.

brndnstffrd
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Brad Delson from Linkin Park
Also, what about the guys from Bullet for My Valentine

Also, i have to agree with John 5 and Jerry Cantrell.

srvflood
01-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Robert Johnson all the way
Are you kidding me?

Tagg
01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Mr Izzy Stradlin, formerly of G n R.

ewp805
01-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Robert Fripp

AmplifySilence
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Jerry Cantrell came to mind.

fcandias
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Hendrix is overrated

This is very funny.

Music MadMan
01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Adam Jones.

Electric Tears
01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Buckethead.

danny275
01-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Gary Moore

smittsterxxx006
02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Mark Tremonti

in2thesun88
02-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Jerry Cantrell came to mind.
agreed. Also Peter Klett of Candlebox. He is an amazing blues player, and it was a real shame that they got a couple bad deals in the early 90s and never blew up. Klett, McCready, and Cantrell never get the credit they deserve as musicians.

samssaphiers1
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
steffen shackinger! he makes amzing guitar pieces!
i strongly recommend you listen to him :)

rotagen
05-15-2009, 03:42 PM
These folks don't get near enough hype.

Curt Kirkwood (Meat Puppets) his styles and skills are infinite.

Elvin Bishop: Just blues? just amazing.

Best rythym guitarist, and rock is all about the rytym guitar....Bob Weir (dead) hands down.

rotagen
05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Havent seen him yet so I have to add :

Michael Schenker

More specifically his stuff on the early UFO albums, listen to the whole albums, there are points that will make you shout OH MY GOD.

Lots of people give me grief arguing with me about this....sure he doesnt get all that fancy or weird like Fripp, but guitar is all about communication and emotion, and man he had the ability like noone else.

Rory gallagher of course...but people are starting to clue in thanks to people like me talking him up....not really unknown any more. To me he was in a higher league than SRV any day.

cornmancer
05-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Robby Kreiger

faris_ah
05-18-2009, 12:34 PM
i'd say jonny greenwood.
but im not sure whether you'd say he's overrated or underrated

Electric Tears
06-01-2009, 08:57 PM
buckethead by far =\

idioldude
06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
synyster gates

brndnstffrd
06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
+1
Synyster Gates ftw

Benjami
06-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Billy Gibbons

Ninjamonkey767
06-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Billy Gibbons

Hell yes.

Also, Jerry Cantrell and Josh Homme both deserve more credit than what they get.

ollyd122
06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Prince, Nuno Bettencourt, Mark Knopfler....Annnd possibly Joe Perry

dwmacfar2
06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Mark Tremonti
This, big time...

tpen892004
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Mr. Teppei Teranishi, lead guitarist in Thrice.

The man is a genius when making riffs, a pure perfectionist.

low-fidelity
06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Teppei Teranishi of Thrice

low-fidelity
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Mr. Teppei Teranishi, lead guitarist in Thrice.

The man is a genius when making riffs, a pure perfectionist.

weird. you beat me to it

Fearless(Times)
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I think Teppei Teranishi and Mike Enzinger are underrated guitarists.

Ninjamonkey767
06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Mike Enzinger

Also him. He's gotten better with every album.

1nSingularity
06-10-2009, 04:35 AM

I would say tom morello

i know he is relatively well known but i dont think he gets enough credit for the amazing things he can do with the guitar....he is up there with hendrix IMO in terms of pioneering the instrumentI love Morello, and RATM

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez from The Mars Volta is just awesome.

bonesofghosts
06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
The Edge for sure. Technically he's not impressive, but damn can he play the right notes for a song. The solo from New Year's Day is one of the beautiful moments in recorded music.

Glad to see people saying Adam Jones and Tom Morello, although I think Morello gets a lot of [much deserved] credit.

Matt Bellamy from Muse... my hero.

In terms of guitarists that are awesome but the general public has no clue who they are - Thomas Erak from The Fall of Troy, Dave Knudson from Minus the Bear/Botch, and Tim Collis from This Town Needs Guns

Wildrek
06-14-2009, 07:35 AM
I believe Randy Rhoads is by far the most underrated guitarist ever

volcom_sk8_rock
06-14-2009, 08:00 AM
The guitarist from The Police so underrated I can't even remember his name, Andy Summers?

dpma7x
06-14-2009, 05:19 PM
synyster gates

megagage
07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
1John Frusicante
2Edge
3Prince
4Morrello
5Rik Emmet

Thebiz
07-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Tom Delonge (Blink 182). I know most will laugh at this, but he's actually not that bad...listen to M & M's.

aig91
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Billy Gibbons
Derek Trucks (Although, he has gained some recognition within the past year)
Dickey Betts
Ed King
Hughie Thomasson
Johnny Winter
Lowell George
Paul Barrere
Prince
Rickey Medlocke
Steve Gaines
Warren Haynes

frenchdude
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I think Teppei Teranishi and Mike Enzinger are underrated guitarists.

Concerning Mike Einziger, I'm not sure we can still consider him as "underrated" because he gained since a few years some great respect from his pairs in the rock scene and he showed us great things, his creativity is pretty impressive !

And I would mention Ian D'Sa from Billy Talent, even if he doesn't shred or anything, his guitar work is oiriginal, unique and pretty interesting (it's just my opinion, not the most objective I know..).

Lots O' FX
07-14-2009, 05:47 PM
East Bay Ray, Greg Ginn, Billy Corgan, and Joey Santiago.

ohhey9040
07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
By far Shuggie Otis. Listen to the track Freedom Flight. He did that when he was 14! Freedom Flight and Inspiration Information are masterpieces with masterful guitar work. Also, Nels Cline doesn't get much credit outside of Wilco fans, and Jay Bennett (who was in Wilco before Cline) is awesome as well. Others include Kenny Burrell, John Scofield, Eddie Hazel, and Leo Nocentelli of The Meters.

acdc3666
07-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Definitely Mike Mike McCready. Alive has one of the best solos ever... Yellow Ledbetter too.

StarChildSammy
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Ace Frehley, Marty Friedman, Jani Liimatainen, Kai Hansen, Bruce Kulick, Timo Tolkki, Henjo Richter, Michael Weikath, Marius Pop, Sascha Gerstner, Kiko Loureiro, Roland Grapow, Jeff Loomis, Dave Mustaine, Chris Poland, Chris Broderick, many others.

hitman_47
07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
The guy from Steely Dan... cant remember his name... he has kickass solos...

DBguitar11
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Alex lifeson. Rush

technical, clean and can be fast when the time is rit=ght (Freewill solo)

zacisthesky
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
John Petrucci, kinda.

Dream Theater as a whole is getting much bigger.

zacisthesky
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Ace Frehley, Marty Friedman, Jani Liimatainen, Kai Hansen, Bruce Kulick, Timo Tolkki, Henjo Richter, Michael Weikath, Marius Pop, Sascha Gerstner, Kiko Loureiro, Roland Grapow, Jeff Loomis, Dave Mustaine, Chris Poland, Chris Broderick, many others.

LOL @ Chris Broderick.
I'm sorry but he isn't underrated, he's all over youtube.
Crazy ass 7-string, 8-finger, tap sweeps. You can't be underrated with that talent.

TheShizzNizz
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
me :L

Entrophist
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Jochem Jacobs

MacMan2001
09-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Billy Duffy from The Cult and Martin Gore from Depeche Mode.

And Mick Mars.

motleyman318
09-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Mick Mars of Motley Crue and Steve Stevens Billy Idols guitarist

RyoujokuNoAme
09-14-2009, 04:32 AM
I just discovered Nevermore, and I think Jeff Loomis is pretty damn underatted.

Solid S/hit
09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Norifumi Shima, great guitarist very amazing. Disturbingly underrated/unknown.

corpcleg
09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
mike oldfield?
gret muso,has,s own style
great accoustic pieces n not afraid 2 let rip eida
never c him geta mention on any of the many top guitar polls
james bradfield<
rory galagher
mick ronson

xnocturne7
09-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Michael Hampton from the DC hardcore scene. Mike Palm from Agent Orange.

jemeput
09-17-2009, 06:19 AM
The Late Samad...

JohnnySolo
09-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Kyle Gass

maidenfan15
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Any rhythm guitar player. Izzy Stradlin and Malcolm Young come to mind.

Dream Theater as a whole is getting much bigger.
About damn time too.

DragTheWaters11
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Honestly, Mikael Akerfeldt.

Not many people know Opeth, and Mikael's amazing ability with the guitar. He's sort of the hidden talent in metal music today.

And also, Pat O'Brien of Nevermore / Cannibal Corpse. Many people regard Jeff Loomis as the underrated guitarist in Nevermore... Pat is leagues better and can play just about anything, and he's never, EVER, mentioned in any threads that talk about the best guitarists.

Redwingsrock
09-21-2009, 12:19 AM
brian May

talia.
09-22-2009, 02:41 AM
David Gilmour.

Van Hayden
10-21-2009, 03:05 AM
bruce kulick

korn56
10-21-2009, 03:16 AM
christopher amott of arch enemy, michael amott takes all the show when playing live, but chris plays all the difficult stuff

matman1310
10-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Underrated - David Gilmore, because no one creates an atmosphere like he does

Overrated - Synester Gates, not cause he is in AX7, Just cause i don't think his playing is anything special

1nSingularity
10-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Jonny Greenwood. I don't recall anyone mentioning him as a good guitarist. That guy is amazing.

althebold711
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm gonna say Jari Maenpaa from Wintersun.

satyrthegoatman
10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Elliott Smith was an extraordinary guitarist and is definitely underrated.

satyrthegoatman
10-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Any rhythm guitar player. Izzy Stradlin and Malcolm Young come to mind.

About damn time too.

I second that. So many rhythm players go unnoticed but are extremely talented guitarists.

ChamsRock
10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Hendrix is overrated

I totally agree. I haven't met a lot of people who know of SRV either.

a7xrocks666
10-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Vito Bratta of White Lion is by far the most underrated. After hearing some of his solos, I feel like he should be alongside people like Satch and Vai as a guitar legend. His playing is not only technically flawless, but also has so much emotion in it-just amazing in every way. Sadly, few people have heard of him or his band outside the music world.

iBTBAM
10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Thomas Erak, hands down.
Only been playing for nine years and is self taught.

The guy can shred!

freebird_17
10-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Rik Emmet from Triumph, Chris Oliva from Savatage, Kim Mitchell from Max Webster/Solo.
Off the top of my head.

Funk-E-Munk
11-12-2009, 08:34 PM
josh homme

ohhey9040
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Nels Cline and Jeff Parker definitely

lambofgodowns
11-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Chris Arp of Psyopus

Requiemref
11-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Andy Timmons.. ever listened to Cry For You? Wonderfull, wonderfull song!

11-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Buck Dharma