The Most Underrated Blues Players

PDA

View Full Version : The Most Underrated Blues Players

SomeEvilDude
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Now, obviously blues is one of the most (or at least I certainly find it to be) under-rated of all the genres, but I'm curious as to who you guys think are the most under-rated blues players? Don't have to be guitarists, but who do you guys think?
Side note: I know this is the 'Blues & Jazz Forum', but try and keep it blues. ;)

For me, I'd have to say:
Snowy White - Saw him live last year, he's incredible. Voice isn't exactly great, but his guitar skills are brilliant.

R.L. Burnside - I picked up one of his albums yesterday. My gosh, this man is so unnappreciated. He is absolutely amazing, yet nobody seems to know or talk about him much. Definetly reccomended for any blues fan.

SuburbanCowboy
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
I know I mention him all the time, but Billy F. Gibbons!! The man has got soul to spare.

And also Leslie West (his pure blues albums are great), Peter Green, and every other white bluesman who has never been taken seriously because some blues elitists only accept black guys as true bluesmen.

edit: But now that I think about it, ALL blues guitarists are underrated. Because even the best of the genre never recieve the widespread recognition that they deserve.

dr_john
04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
stan webb from chicken shack. i used to see him years ago playing pubs in the midlands, sadly he never quite made the bigtime despite being a brilliant electric blues guitar player. i saw him a couple of years ago and he has still got it, despite some eccentric behaviour at times eg including his version of the beatles 'she loves you' in the middle of an otherwise superb set.

have a listen to the cd 'stan 'the man' live' to see what i mean.

:cheers:

ufossuck
04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I know I mention him all the time, but Billy F. Gibbons!! The man has got soul to spare.
How is he underrated? He's practically a god and anyone who disagrees is an idiot. Very few people disagree.

I'd say the most underrated is Willie Dixon. He's one of the best songwriters ever, he wrote songs for highly rated bluesmen like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. I know that Jeff Beck covered at least one of his songs and he was the first person to sue Jimmy Page for plagerism. He sued Jimmy more than once too.

TheHeartbreaker
04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Some underrated people (based upon lack of hearing about them) are...

Hound Dog Taylor
Elmore James
Peter Green
Jourma Kaukonen

Alarming Carrot
04-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Mississippi John Hurt, he's virtually unheard of on this board.

AxeAbuser#2
04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
chris rea and rory gallagher.

enough said..

WyldeGibsonPlyr
04-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd agree with Rea, but not with Rory. Rory is quite known.

But when talking underrated blues, you cant leave out Tinsley Ellis. The man has serious soul, choppage to the max, and a great voice. He's been around for awhile, and yet not many know of him.

And I'd have to say guys like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Chris Duarte also get the underrated bit. People tend to just look at them as being Stevie Ray wanabees, which maybe to some degree they are, but you cant say they dont have serious chops. I've never heard anyone else get tone such as them, specially Kenny Wayne. You know?

And cant leave out John Mayer either. People always diss him because of the pop stuff or other various reasons, but the man knows what he's doing. He knows theory, he uses fucking insane chords in his tunes, and the man sure can play. People just dont give him enough credit either.

creedance
04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
John Fogerty
of ccr

Mudder
04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I was watching the tribute to the Strat on HDnet and John Mayer ran through Red House, in-frickin-credible.

SomeEvilDude
04-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Having seen a couple of the posts, I'd have to definately agree with Chris Rea and Willie Dixon. Both amazing blues players, and - moreso in Dixon's case - fantastic songwriters. Just a shame that bass players never seem to get much recognition...

I certainly wouldn't say John Mayer is under-rated. From what I've heard - which is albeit not much - he's not particularly great.

Steve Cropper
04-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Mississippi John Hurt transcends the skills of any modern blues guitarist. I have become very attached to Barbecue Bob's raggin blues.

Encore_God
04-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Mississippi John Hurt transcends the skills of any modern blues guitarist.

Agreed. And what soul that man had.

TNfootballfan62
04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
John Lee Hooker. He's very well known and respected among us bluesmen, but you dont hear his name mentioned on the forums a whole lot.

Johnsonville
04-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd say Pinetop Perkins

VR2005
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I have to completly agree with WyldeGibsonPlyr, Tinsley has to got to be one of the most underated blues guitarist who has it all. I already suggested him for the list of Blues and Jazz Artists I don't know if it has been taken though.

Alarming Carrot
04-21-2006, 12:07 PM
http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/158/158,6793,FEATURE-1.asp
Great article about Mississippi John Hurt and his style.

ufossuck
04-21-2006, 07:01 PM
J.J. Cale!

INDUSTRIALMETAL
04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Robert Pete Williams is often overlooked. He has some very intersting rhythms and chord structures.

IrishBlues
04-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Id have to say Rory Gallagher becuase he does not get the fame the Stevie Ray and Clapton did even though I see Rory as one of the best Electric and even Acoustic Blues Guitarists of all time.

John Lee Hooker might not be the fastest or the flashiest but he plays the Blues and hes is damn good at it.

And also ive been listening to a lot of Melvin Taylor, hes pretty awesome and dont hear much about him.

And as far as John Mayer goes, I personally think he is amazing and even though he is popular I still think that the Blues community hasnt fully accepted him yet. Even though people like Clapton, B.B., and Buddy Guy all do.

bluespunkmetal
04-22-2006, 02:34 AM
JL Hooker IS FAMOUS !!!

Now that they're discussed, are they still "underrated" ??

Alarming Carrot
04-22-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't see how anybody could possibly say John Mayer when he has two threads about on the first page, one which 124 posts. That's not underrated, that's vastly overrated.

Where is Blind Blake, Lightnin Hopkins, Bukka White, Skip James, Blind Willie Mctell...? Anything on an acoustic guitar gets zero mention on this board unless played by SRV or Eric Clapton.

TNfootballfan62
04-22-2006, 01:51 PM
^^^That's not completely true. I love my delta blues. :D It is a shame it isnt talked about more around here.

dr_john
04-22-2006, 02:28 PM
J.J. Cale!

right on!

very underrated especially considering some of the classic songs he has written.

SomeEvilDude
04-22-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't see how anybody could possibly say John Mayer when he has two threads about on the first page, one which 124 posts. That's not underrated, that's vastly overrated.

Where is Blind Blake, Lightnin Hopkins, Bukka White, Skip James, Blind Willie Mctell...? Anything on an acoustic guitar gets zero mention on this board unless played by SRV or Eric Clapton.

Because the delta blues can get a bit too much in high doses. I love a bit of it every now and then, but it does get really heavy after a while.
That said, Robert Johnon, Son Wolf and Lightnin' Hopkins are amazing.

Sgt. Pepper19
04-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Michael Bloomfield. Far better then Clapton, Page or Hendrix in my opinion.

Alarming Carrot
04-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Because the delta blues can get a bit too much in high doses. I love a bit of it every now and then, but it does get really heavy after a while.
That said, Robert Johnon, Son Wolf and Lightnin' Hopkins are amazing.

I fail to see how this makes sense. 1) Not all of the people could be listed as "delta" blues although I think classifying blues like delta, texas, etc. would get you laughed at by a real blues player. I think a general term such as "acoustic blues" works when discussing the aforementioned. 2) Because you tire of it easily means it shouldn't be discussed at all? I doubt that. I think the real reason why they're hardly ever mentioned is a lot of people have heard of the early acoustic blues just never listen to them. I think it's a shame for such die hard blues fans to ignore such a large and diverse part of their music.

By the way; Bloomfield...great, not better than Hendrix though.

TNfootballfan62
04-22-2006, 11:50 PM
^^^I agree with practically everything said there. (I just dont think calling it delta or acoustic blues either way is a very big deal. ;) )

WyldeGibsonPlyr
04-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Speak of the devil, I forgot about the very man on my tee shirt currently. Mr. Albert Cummings. The man has serious soul.

Alarming Carrot
04-23-2006, 01:07 AM
http://guitarvideos.com/radio/00radio.htm
great website that has free hours worth of recordings of acoustic blues.

TNfootballfan62
04-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Now if only my internet was fast enough to stream that stuff.

SomeEvilDude
04-23-2006, 05:48 AM
I fail to see how this makes sense. 1) Not all of the people could be listed as "delta" blues although I think classifying blues like delta, texas, etc. would get you laughed at by a real blues player. I think a general term such as "acoustic blues" works when discussing the aforementioned. 2) Because you tire of it easily means it shouldn't be discussed at all? I doubt that. I think the real reason why they're hardly ever mentioned is a lot of people have heard of the early acoustic blues just never listen to them. I think it's a shame for such die hard blues fans to ignore such a large and diverse part of their music.

By the way; Bloomfield...great, not better than Hendrix though.

Hm, I see your point. But what I was getting at (solely the delta blues stuff, fine laugh at me) probably doesn't get discussed much because people don't listen to it particularly much.
I'll admit now, it is kind of stupid to class the blues into various sub-genres, but it happens to everything, so it's just become a habit I guess.
And, sorry for the misunderstanding about acoustic/delta stuff. I don't know why acoustic blues doesn't get discussed much, there's some real gems there. I guess it's just more people today are so used to full bands and electric, so acoustic blues (and folk and classical) go pretty much unnoticed and not listened to.
Sorry the mix-up there though. I agree that it's a damn shame acoustic blues doesn't get listened to much.

Falcatarius
04-23-2006, 10:35 AM
James Taylor could play an extremely badass blues guitar. (and good vocals too) Just listen to "Steamroller" on his Best Of album.

But his skill with an electric was over-shadowed by his song-writing ability on an acoustic. Not to say his song-writing should be pushed out of the spotlight.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

Alarming Carrot
04-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Now if only my internet was fast enough to stream that stuff.

Just save it and delete it, that's what I do.

rod koc
04-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Kenny Wayne Sheperd!?

southaustin
04-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Chris Duarte? He's pretty badass, don't ya think? Oh I agree with ya Falcatarius James Taylor's steamroller kicks it.

oriont618
04-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Hey guys, first post. I'm not really into solid blues, but do know a little about guitar and guitar music. I noticed somebody said KWS as well, and don't understand why anyone would ever consider him underrated when he's one of the only "blues" (more like blues rock to "pop blues" (I made the genre up...but because of players like him and John Mayer it will become a genre lol)) players, besides the EXTREMELY overrated John Mayer (he truly is a terribly arrogant untalented SOB), that's recognized by a lot of the general public today. I also don't think Mr. Sheppard is that great, although I do enjoy his Voodoo Chile cover.

What about Scott Henderson? I know a lot of his stuff is jazzy blues or bluesy jazz...but he has a little bit of straight up blues and it's pretty awesome! He's semi-known but, given his talent, not know even close to enough! Or what about Derek Trucks? Do you guys like him? He's an amazing slide blues player as well and I can't find his CDs anywhere in stores! What about Michael Landau? I'm not a huge fan of his...but the man has a bit of talent and not too many of his CDs are in stores either. I'm just trying to get to know the thoughts and feelings of this community a little better. Thanks!

AxeAbuser#2
04-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Scott Henderson is awesome, he can cover jazz/fusion/blues blues rock so fecking well! very underated ;)

love_O_rock
04-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Has anyone everheard roy buchannon's(think thats his name) rendition of hey joe, he gets my vote

IrishBlues
04-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Has anyone everheard roy buchannon's(think thats his name) rendition of hey joe, he gets my vote

Roy Buchanan ... yeah his cover of Hey Joe is awesome.

AxeAbuser#2
04-27-2006, 06:47 PM
john's blues by buchanan is truly inspiring, its a must have for anyone into blues ;)

Gabuydachk
04-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Willie Dixon
Blind Willie Johnson

ridcullylives
04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
John Lee Hooker. He's very well known and respected among us bluesmen, but you dont hear his name mentioned on the forums a whole lot.

Agreed. Listen to his stuff on "Big Legs, Tight Skirt" and listen to the vibrato he gets. So....perfect.

I also agree about Mississippi John Hurt.

king_harvest88
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM
dunno if these have already been said or not, but:

Johnny Winter: highly rated by those in the know, but not generally.

Rory Gallagher: same as winter.

Hubert Sumlin (howlin' wolf's guitarist): guitar tones that are simultaniously evil and beautiful, top player.

Junior Kimbrough: top singer, player and writer.

Lousiana Red: great voice, great tunes. I reccomend 'Alabama train' to anyone who hasnt heard him before

Colin 'Barrelhouse' Banagan: only heard one song by this guy, and i cant find anymore, seriously s*it hot pianist though.

Earl Hooker: awesome slide player

Tommy Tucker: this guys got some top tunes, check out 'Drunk' and 'Hi-Heel Sneakers'

thems all i can think of right now

mrbreeze
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Henry Garza
Brian David Blush (of the Refreshments)
ME

slinks
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Junior Kimbrough definitely, R.L. Burnside and Hound Dog Taylor, too.

smokeebunny
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Michael Bloomfield. Far better then Clapton, Page or Hendrix in my opinion.

yeah he was great, one player im sure everyone knows but is very underated is Johnny Winter, his slide playing is amazing and his electric playing is very swell, another player i dont think gets recognitions is Mick Taylor, and if their are any KWS or Johnny Lang fans out their you should check out Eric Gales

ufossuck
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I think blues is an underrated genre. All bluesmen are underrated. (Execpt John Mayer, he sucks) You can type any classic rock artist in't a P2P program and get tons of results, Search for any bluesman and you'll get a tenth of that.

blues_rocker
05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Johnny Winter, the only person I know personally who knows of his guitar godliness is my dad.

muffinman123192
11-04-2006, 11:46 PM
i definetly agree with brian david blush. he has the best solos (not literally, but he's good)

Blind In 1 Ear
11-05-2006, 12:19 AM
id say jeff healey. i never hear about him but he is an amazing player.

TheHeartbreaker
11-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Johnny Winter, the only person I know personally who knows of his guitar godliness is my dad.

And me. :)

I forgot to mention Johnny in my first post, but he's one of my favorite guitarists.

Love the albino man! :cheers:

The Master Plan
11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Keb' Mo'

I Play Guitar!
11-05-2006, 05:41 PM
John Mayer

HuskerDu
11-05-2006, 07:09 PM
stan webb from chicken shack. i used to see him years ago playing pubs in the midlands, sadly he never quite made the bigtime despite being a brilliant electric blues guitar player. i saw him a couple of years ago and he has still got it, despite some eccentric behaviour at times eg including his version of the beatles 'she loves you' in the middle of an otherwise superb set.

have a listen to the cd 'stan 'the man' live' to see what i mean.

I seen him earlier this month, supporting John Mayall. He was excellent.

Friedmaniac
11-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Son House, Blind Willie Johnson, and Albert King get my vote. BTW, Albert King is my favorite blues man ever. He has what is quite possibly the best guitar tone known to man.

darksidemoon
11-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Roy Buchanan
Johnny Winter

IrishBlues
11-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Roy Buchanan
Johnny Winter

TheHeartbreaker
11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah, Roy Buchanan was ****ing sick as well. :cheers:

ufossuck
11-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Anyone mention Blind Lemon Jefferson?

JustRooster
11-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Me .

Just Kidding.... Billy Gibbons.

Gary64strat
07-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I saw a guy called Jesse Davey play with 'Indigenous' one night. I had no idea who he was at the time but he stole the show. His playing is very Albert King, I haven't herd many people pull that off except maybe Doyle Bramhall (II) who is also awesome! He never seems to get the credit he deserves.

claptonfan55
07-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Tinsley Ellis and Johnny Shines

king_harvest88
07-17-2007, 08:23 AM
ok, some more underrated bluesers from me:

Mem Shannon: really cool soul/funk/blues, amazing voice, amazing guitar.

Frank Zappa: ok, generally not blues, but check out a track called 'Raye' by Jeff Simmons, Zappa plays some awesome blues guitar on it

Mick Abrahams: Guitarist on the first Jethro Tull album, then formed Blodwyn Pig, i highly reccomend him.

Larry Mccrae: Got kind of an albert king thang going, great stuff.

Mose Allison: Great blues piano, with witty lyrics.

Billy Janey: from the band 'Truth and Janey' Real good powerehouse hendrix-y electric blues, great bassy guitar tone.

Dan Auerbach: from the black keys, Check out 'Busted' off the album 'The Big Come Up'

studwig
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
john lee hooker is by far my favorite but im just recently been gettin into real blues and gettin past srv and eric clapton. i went to raid best buys cd racks like i usually do on payday but was surprised that they dont have **** for blues. I thiink that is what holds this genre back is its availability there isnt a single radio station in my town that plays blues.

matt92l
08-10-2007, 06:53 AM
jeff beck is well known but rarely mentioned round these parts....

PTG56
08-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Robbie Kreiger frome the Doors is a really good blues player especialy in Roadhouse blues and most all songs on L.A. Woman

opivy21
08-13-2007, 12:03 AM
RL Burnside for sure. Hardly anyone knows him but he was great.

captain_jack
08-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Skip James. He was at least as good as Robert Johnson, but yet you almost never hear anyone talk about him.

meh!
08-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Robben Ford, partly caused he usually only gets mentioned amongst the jazz crowd :p

SomeEvilDude
08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Skip James. He was at least as good as Robert Johnson, but yet you almost never hear anyone talk about him.

Better than.

I picked up 'Cypress Grove Blues' the other day, and although the recording quality is terrible, the passion and songs blew me away.

I'd like to agree with Mississippi John Hurt to the last. An aboslute stallion of folk-blues music, up there with Ledbelly in terms of skill, and yet nobody ever mentions him.