Riot Grrrl (sigh)

PDA

View Full Version : Riot Grrrl (sigh)

G.I.R.L
04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I recently went to a small show in a guy house and this Kathleen Hannah wannbe was there for God knows what reason spewing out this garbage about how this band were sexist (don't ask me why). And this led me to think about Riot Grrrl music and since it's generally considered an off-shoot of punk I thought I should put the thread here.

So, what do you think of Riot Grrrl? I personally think it's a bunch of girls complaining about men just because they seem to get a better deal. I'm a girl (not a feminist obviously, my name comes from the song by The Adicts) and this doesn't bother me enough to write crap songs whining about it.

So, opinions?

EDIT: Let me make this clear, I'm not saying that every single riot grrrl band is feminist. I'm talking about those bands that complain about sexism while being just as sexist. It annoys me how hypocritical they are.

RockThe40oz
04-17-2006, 03:24 PM
www.myspace.com/thetwofunerals

I'm friends with the bassist... but the band annoys me.

I can enjoy the music somewhat at shows (mainly because I'm friends with them), but their whining about fabricated sexism in the local music scene.

It's all the fault of their vocalist.. since she writes lyrics, guitar and bass, she has pretty much full control over the band.

Oh well.

damn-right!
04-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I recently went to a small show in a guy house and this Kathleen Hannah wannbe was there for God knows what reason spewing out this garbage about how this band were sexist (don't ask me why). And this led me to think about Riot Grrrl music and since it's generally considered an off-shoot of punk I thought I should put the thread here.

So, what do you think of Riot Grrrl? I personally think it's a bunch of girls complaining about men just because they seem to get a better deal. I'm a girl (not a feminist obviously, my name comes from the song by The Adicts) and this doesn't bother me enough to write crap songs whining about it.

So, opinions?

hehe my band was described as a riot grrl band.

Amusing since im the only female, i dont sing or write lyrics and our front man is a 6' stick insect of a homosexual...i guess they were joking.

Anyway, i dont think ive ever seen a riot grrrl band in my life but i dont think men get better deals anymore, i think there are just girls who want something or anything to whinge about. I can guarantee these same girls would whinge if a guy didnt open a door for them or didnt perform whatever old fashioned romantic gestures are still floating around in modern society.

Personally i think 96.999% of the population are wankers irrelevant or their respective genders, if i was going to whinge about anything it would be the state of the human race in general not just the state of a particular gender.

waterproofpie
04-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Oh man, these threads KILL me.
You know...you don't have to be a feminist to like riot grrl bands. And contrary to popular belief, they don't all just complain about guys and stuff, or make bad music.

Listen to the Lunachicks, Seven Year Bitch, and Babes in Toyland for some starters. They don't whine about guys...at all. In fact, they're pretty fun. Yeah, they have a few sarcastic songs involving gender issues, but they don't focus on putting males down, they point out flaws in things women do, and things that they expect of eachother. Which is why when they play, they dress like drag queens (edit: Referring to the Lunachicks). The rest of their songs are just goofy and sing about really random topics.

I believe there was an article discussing this in MRR a couple months ago...knowing this forum only David caught it too, but one of the female writers for the magazine was talking about riot grrl movement and punk. She said it was a shame so many girls automatically write it off for fear of being a femi-nazi, and that if they take anything away from it, it should be to look out for other girls at shows and stuff. She also said this held more value 10-15 years ago, when there was more violence towards girls at shows.

But why do people complain so much about this genre? Punk has always had the aspect of pointing out flaws with society, so why not point out those with gender?

G.I.R.L
04-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Oh man, these threads KILL me.
You know...you don't have to be a feminist to like riot grrl bands. And contrary to popular belief, they don't all just complain about guys and stuff, or make bad music.

Listen to the Lunachicks, Seven Year Bitch, and Babes in Toyland for some starters. They don't whine about guys...at all. In fact, they're pretty fun. Yeah, they have a few sarcastic songs involving gender issues, but they don't focus on putting males down, they point out flaws in things women do, and things that are expected of them. Which is why when they play, they dress like drag queens. The rest of their songs are just goofy and sing about really random topics.

I believe there was an article discussing this in MRR a couple months ago...knowing this forum only David caught it too, but one of the female writers for the magazine was talking about riot grrl movement and punk. She said it was a shame so many girls automatically write it off for fear of being a femi-nazi, and that if they take anything away from it, it should be to look out for other girls at shows and stuff. She also said this held more value 10-15 years ago, when there was more violence towards girls at shows.

But why do people complain so much about this genre? Punk has always had the aspect of pointing out flaws with society, so why not point out those with gender?

Don't get me wrong, Babes In Toyland is one favourite bands and I'm not saying that every single riot grrrl band is feminist. I'm talking about those bands that complain about sexism while being just as sexist. It annoys me how hypocritical they are. Especially when the majority of both genders are bastards.

EDIT: Also, I do like 7 Year Bitch. My band covered You Smell Lonely.

waterproofpie
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh alright, that's cool.
That's a pretty general statement, but I agree.
I just bum out when people rag on the whole sub genre because of something like that...because there are a lot of damn fine bands who sing about relevant topics.

johnnynemo
04-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Feminism is a good thing; being a man-hater (or a misogynist woman-hater) is counter-productive.

The funny thing is that I was just talking with someone about this the other day and we agreed that there don't seem to be as many man-haters at punk shows as there were 15 years ago, when the whole riot grrl thing started up.

I always saw the original riot grrls more militant stance as a response to all the jock loser boys who went to shows and either groped or bashed girls.
Those guys were often beat down, but sometimes there was no one there to do anything about it and sometimes the boys would even rip girls T shirts off and do other stupid sexist crap.
You can read a very good account of this in the book "Sister Safety Pin".

I've seen Bratmobile, The Lunachicks, L7, Bikini Kill, 7 Year B*tch and a bunch of other bands and I didn't get a "femi-nazi" vibe, so much as I did a "Girl Power" vibe from the bands; although some of their fans definitely weren't very fond of men.

I see the same thing when I go to lesbian bars with some of my female friends.
Most of the younger girls are nice to me, and/or perhaps a little wary, but most of the older womyn look at me as though they want to set me on fire.
I just let it slide, because I'm not there to pick up girls and I don't really care what some middle aged womyn with a mullet thinks.

texas78621
04-17-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree with Johnny about what feminism is about at its core.

Lately it seems like so many people define themselves not so much by who they are, and wish to become, but by who they hate. You know, as in I hate whites, I hate blacks, I hate Dems, I hate Republicans, I hate Jews, I can't stand Asians, gays, Latinos, Arabs, Israelis, and geez, on and on. It's especially bad at the Pit. Has anyone else noticed that? Maybe it's just loud-mouthed immaturity; I hope it's not something deeper. :(

whyvern
04-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I think women should persue a more active role in the scene... especially here.

It really hurts me to watch all my 'punk' friend's girlfriends get treated like **** by them and then the only bands they dance around to are the non 'punk' bands (like mine and Christian James and the Coyotes)... the cirlce pits here are even really violent (I'm still hurting from one on saturday night). There's alot of things I think my scene could do better and including more women is on the top of the list... because it seems like a sausagefest at times... and all the yuppie chicks at my school are really boring to talk to.

As far as riot grrl goes, I think it's a difficult matter. If I were to make a Jewish pride band I'd be called a zionist (which I'm not) and of course a white pride band would be called a nazi band. But some how Riot Grrl is a bit more tolerable.... I don't know. The whole idea of 'womyn' is not very appealing to me and 'womyn only' is ****ing stupid.

I got into punk rock because anyone could and can do it.

texas78621
04-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I didn't know there even was a Jew in Alabama. ;)

G.I.R.L
04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm not attacking feminism with this thread, I'm not attacking riot grrl music. I actually agree with some things feminist fight for (gender equallity ect.). I have friends who are feminist (some are indeed lesbians) and I used to listen the music and I agree with Johnny about the

original riot grrls more militant stance as a response to all the jock loser boys who went to shows and either groped or bashed girls. .
(In fact, I agree with most of his post.)

I just don't agree with some riot grrl music because it has a sense of "They can't be sexist to us, but we can be sexist to them". And considering both genders are as bad as each other, I don't think it's right. Then again I do agree with freedom of speech so I'm just as big as a hypocrite :rolleyes: .

johnnynemo
04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Maybe it's time that people re-evaluated all the stupid "moshing" at shows.

As I've mentioned before, you used to be able to stand in the middle of a "circle pit" while punks skanked around you and be fine.
Then, the moshing came along and it was a giant stupid football skirmish at all the shows.

Since it was all started by jocks, and idiots like Sid, how about if we say "Okay 30 years of smashing each other up is enough....let's just pogo or whatever other dance you wanna do that doesn't involve hitting each other."

johnnynemo
04-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm not attacking feminism with this thread, I'm not attacking riot grrl music. I actually agree with some things feminist fight for (gender equallity ect.). I have friends who are feminist (some are indeed lesbians) and I used to listen the music and I agree with Johnny about the

I always saw the original riot grrls more militant stance as a response to all the jock loser boys who went to shows and either groped or bashed girls.

(In fact, I agree with most of his post.)

I just don't agree with some riot grrl music because it has a sense of "They can't be sexist to us, but we can be sexist to them". And considering both genders are as bad as each other, I don't think it's right. Then again I do agree with freedom of speech so I'm just as big as a hypocrite :rolleyes: .

Well I hope people didn't take it as you attacking feminism.
I didn't see it that way and I thought you brought up some good points, which I echoed in my post.

I think that what are you saying is akin to this example of people getting carried away with their "crusades".

I knew a girl who went to Oberlin College.
She was harasssed by some radical womyn because she dared to wear make-up.
They gave her sh*t everyday and she finally transferred to another school.
So much for her right to decide how she looked, and how f*cked is that that her "sisters" were the ones giving her such a hard time based on her appearance ?

Some of these same radicals started a "Take Back The Night" thing after a girl was sexually assaulted.
Great idea, but again they went to extremes.
They started marching around stomping their feet and shouting slogans every night and going further and further away from campus, until one night, while they were out "taking back the night" miles away from campus, another girl was assaulted.

I think that some people, both men and women, care more about their "crusades" than they do about the people.

G.I.R.L
04-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Well I hope people didn't take it as you attacking feminism.
I didn't see it that way and I thought you brought up some good points, which I echoed in my post.
I know you didn't (I know everyone who has replied didn't) but it has to be said because there's always going to be some one who will say I did.

I think that what are you saying is akin to this example of people getting carried away with their "crusades".

Exactly what I am saying.

Also, very sad about that girl you know. And the girl who was assaulted. At the core feminism is a good thing, but it's become more about proving a point rather than solving the problem.

texas78621
04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe it's time that people re-evaluated all the stupid "moshing" at shows.

As I've mentioned before, you used to be able to stand in the middle of a "circle pit" while punks skanked around you and be fine.
Then, the moshing came along and it was a giant stupid football skirmish at all the shows.

Since it was all started by jocks, and idiots like Sid, how about if we say "Okay 30 years of smashing each other up is enough....let's just pogo or whatever other dance you wanna do that doesn't involve hitting each other."

Vicious started the pogo, not slamdancing -- which was a lot of fun, actually. It's just when the scene got bigger and more aggressive that slamming got too dangerous -- at least it was for me, and probably other girls as well. But you could have given me twenty guys and Six Pack any day!

Okay, that can be misinterpreted... :eek:

whyvern
04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I didn't know there even was a Jew in Alabama. ;)

It don't get any easier... the drummer in my band is black... Everyone at our high school loves us

:haha :haha

pinheadslts75
04-17-2006, 10:30 PM
My school is dominated by preps and hipsters, a radical feminist here and there would be a nice change of pace.

The girls at shows are a lot better though.

Nefro
04-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Riot Grrl is my favorite genre of music.

johnnynemo
04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Vicious started the pogo, not slamdancing -- which was a lot of fun, actually. It's just when the scene got bigger and more aggressive that slamming got too dangerous -- at least it was for me, and probably other girls as well. But you could have given me twenty guys and Six Pack any day!

Okay, that can be misinterpreted... :eek:

Technically, Sid invented both pogoing and slamdancing , since his pogoing was done in an effort to "knock down everyone in the Bromley Contingent" in his own words.

The Cali punks, so far as I know, are responsible for doing the whole "skanking in the circle pit" thang, although I think that the circle pit first occured at Doors shows in the late 60s, albeit minus the pogo or slamdance.

texas78621
04-18-2006, 11:23 AM
The Cali punks, so far as I know, are responsible for doing the whole "skanking in the circle pit" thang, although I think that the circle pit first occured at Doors shows in the late 60s, albeit minus the pogo or slamdance.

Or clothes... ;)

johnnynemo
04-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Hahahaha.
Yep.
A circle pit full of naked hippies.....one can only imagine how bad that smelled.

I figure that when I expire, I'll end up in one of 3 different hells.

1. Hippy Hell - where I have to listen to endless hours of the Grateful Dead, surrounded by smelly naked hippies, who force me to hug trees and talk about universal love.

2. Hillbilly Hell - where I have to listen to endless hours of Clay Aitken, surrounded by toothless inbreds, who force me to drive around in a pick-em-up truck and shoot and eat deer.

3. Hardcore Hell - where I have to listen to endless hours of Minor Threat, surrounded by jocks in hoodies, who force me to spinkick the invisible ninjas.

ss311
04-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Well nemo, you're just paranoid ;)

waterproofpie
04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Hahahahaha
Nemo's post reminds me of a Janeane Garofalo skit.

RIFF MAN1123
02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Rise From The Grave!

pinheadslts75
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Was this necessary?

Why do these old threads where I have to see how stupid I was 5 years ago keep popping up?

lookpizza
02-21-2011, 11:38 PM
I LOVE PARAMORE :cool:

neidnarb11890
02-22-2011, 12:33 AM
I LOVE PARAMORE :cool:
GREAT BAND I WANNA DO THE SINGER :cool:

girl power!

due 07
02-22-2011, 01:14 AM
LOL u guys halee wilims is a myspace wh0re preppy bitch

iwannabesedated
02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm going to actually address the topic and say I love Riot Grrrl bands. The man-haters were mostly the fans, the bands were pretty cool.

Bikini Kill was always my favorite, but Bratmobile, Seven Year Bitch, Heavens to Betsy, all great.

ibugppl
02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I sent talking about how terrible ALL men are sexist?

nashawa
02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I sent talking about how terrible ALL men are sexist?
Whoa, hold on there champ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_grammar

iwannabesedated
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I'm not even sure what he was trying to say.

lolmnt
02-22-2011, 11:22 PM
I have seen talk about how all men are terrible. Sexist!

lookpizza
02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
I sent terrible sexist men to how to talk.

iwannabesedated
02-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I sexed up all men that are terrible.

ipuked
07-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I love riot grrrl music, I really do. I'm not a feminist, because today's feminism is all about changing what people THINK about women, but as long as we have RIGHTS, it shouldn't matter what others think. But I love riot grrrl, for some reason.

neidnarb11890
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM
:daisy:

sargasm
07-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Where the **** did this come from?

Oh well. I'm a feminist. All you haters suck my balls.

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
I'd say I'm a feminist. I dunno if the people who write the rules on feminism would. 'Cuz I was passing out while they were passing them out. But I'm all about equality & not objectifying women. And I love grrrls who can rock & roll.

SPEAKING OF, who else can't wait for WILD FLAG's album? I'm so pumped. Carrie's my rock & roll hero.

lolmnt
07-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Where the **** did this come from?

Oh well. I'm a feminist. All you haters suck my balls.Your left one?

iwannabesedated
07-27-2011, 12:47 AM
I'd say I'm a feminist. I dunno if the people who write the rules on feminism would. 'Cuz I was passing out while they were passing them out. But I'm all about equality & not objectifying women. And I love grrrls who can rock & roll.

SPEAKING OF, who else can't wait for WILD FLAG's album? I'm so pumped. Carrie's my rock & roll hero.

Third Wave Feminism, man (oddest sentence ever). It's all about deciding what it means to you, not trying to fit the classic idea of "feminism."

█▐▌█▐▌
07-27-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm not a feminist. :dance: Not any more than the average non-meathead, that is.

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Your left one?
Aw I see what you did there. :cool:

lolmnt
07-27-2011, 01:38 AM
On the topic of Wild Flag, I don't understand why Sleater-Kinney didn't just get back together. Corin Tucker made an album that sounds similar to The Woods. And now Janet and Carrie have a band that sounds similar to that as well.

Just do it together.

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 02:08 AM
I dunno man, I'm honestly diggin' the Wild Flag songs I've heard more than a good deal of Sleater-Kinney's stuff. I think having the keys fill out the bass leaves the guitars more room to play around, it's a whole different dynamic. And the other lady's throwin' down some hot guitar licks!

Plus I like being excited over new bands, 'cuz I'm usually not 'cuz I spend so much time listening to old stuff. And this is extra exciting because I already know & love half the band. I'm way more excited for this than I ever was for forgetters.

Speaking of, what the fuck is Blake Schwarzenbach doin'? We were havin' a laugh about it at practice today, after a surprisingly smooth impromptu cover of "The Boat Dreams from the Hill".

lolmnt
07-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah I understand. And I like the Wild Flag songs. And the Corin Tucker Band songs. But they both feel like they're missing something. Know what I mean?

And on the Schwarzentopic, I have no idea. I think it's an extreme midlife breakdown.

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Yeah I understand. And I like the Wild Flag songs. And the Corin Tucker Band songs. But they both feel like they're missing something. Know what I mean?
No.

And on the Schwarzentopic, I have no idea. I think it's an extreme midlife breakdown.
Ya know we thought he was just trollin', but I like yr theory better.

█▐▌█▐▌
07-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Speaking of, what the fuck is Blake Schwarzenbach doin'? We were havin' a laugh about it at practice today, after a surprisingly smooth impromptu cover of "The Boat Dreams from the Hill".
lul. That's weird. I realize BoF playing that song would actually probably sound pretty normal and not all Beefheartesque like yr original songs (because it's not like you changed the arrangement), but it's still a bizarre thought.

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Well, we had to skip the drum intro on account of my drummer doesn't use toms. But other than that it was pretty straightforward.

lolmnt
07-27-2011, 02:37 AM
No.

Ya know we thought he was just trollin', but I like yr theory better.I'd just like it more if it was Sleater-Kinney.

And trollin' is a good possibility.

BK202
07-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Fun fact, I opted out of seeing Wild Flag in favor of Wavves. As awesome as it would be to see Carrie, I think I had more fun at Wavves than I would've at Wild Flag.

lolmnt
07-27-2011, 02:54 AM
Fun fact, I opted out of seeing Wild Flag in favor of Wavves. As awesome as it would be to see Carrie, I think I had more fun at Wavves than I would've at Wild Flag.Idk...Milfs and all.

BK202
07-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Sleater-Kinney was better.

lolmnt
07-27-2011, 03:00 AM
I agree.

But think of the milfs!

BK202
07-27-2011, 03:08 AM
YOU CAN'T MOSH WITH AN ERECTION

jakesmellspoo
07-27-2011, 04:22 AM
i would totally mosh with a chubby if i didn't have bad ankle :(

SuperBlob
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Well, forgetters played here a couple of months ago so...I'd say that.

iwannabesedated
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM

THEN YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT

daytripper75
07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
On the topic of Wild Flag, I don't understand why Sleater-Kinney didn't just get back together. Corin Tucker made an album that sounds similar to The Woods. And now Janet and Carrie have a band that sounds similar to that as well.

Just do it together.

+1 to that. I really liked Sleater-Kinney. I actually saw them open for Pearl Jam in 2003. They were pretty good live.

BK202
07-27-2011, 07:21 PM
THEN YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT
I WEAR SKIN TIGHT PANTS I THINK IT WOULD HURT. I DON'T KNOW, NEXT TIME WILD FLAG PLAYS CHICAGO I'LL TRY.

due 07
07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
In the true spirit of riot grrrl and feminism, let's talk about boners.

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Gary's got a boner! :headbang:

iwannabesedated
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
i Wear Skin Tight Pants I Think It Would Hurt. I Don't Know, Next Time Wild Flag Plays Chicago I'll Try.

Good Luck

axeslash
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Never cared about any of these bands. Not punx enough.

iwannabesedated
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Okay. Who un-caps locked our stuff?

Not cool.

jakesmellspoo
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
In the true spirit of riot grrrl and feminism, let's talk about boners.
even farther off topic: i used to think the one part in the Descendents' Kids on Coffee was "boners, boners, boners, boners..."

neidnarb11890
07-27-2011, 11:52 PM
I hate when I get boners while I'm in a store or something. I always feel like everyone's looking at my crotch, even though I'm pretty sure they're not.

lolmnt
07-28-2011, 12:12 AM
I hate when I get boners while I'm in a store or something. I always feel like everyone's looking at my crotch, even though I'm pretty sure they're not.I bet they are ;)

neidnarb11890
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM
:daisy:

BK202
07-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Boners on public transit are the worst.

due 07
07-28-2011, 02:01 AM
How often can you get aroused buying groceries or riding the bus with hobos?

even farther off topic: i used to think the one part in the Descendents' Kids on Coffee was "boners, boners, boners, boners..."Lulz.

BK202
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
riding the bus with hobos?

:liplick:

due 07
07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
My public transit has undergone a metamorphosis so it now act as a congregation for these guys:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx354/giantpengy_2010/juggalos.jpg

lolmnt
07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
You get irl Juggalos?

I wanna see a juggalo.

I did see a guy who was wearing an ICP shirt and a gas mask. I threw a bottle at his head.

due 07
07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah, we've got juggalos coming through the God damn window.

lolmnt
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Throw bottles at them. Preferably filled with gasoline and fire.

Or ask them if they know how ridiculous they look.

SuperBlob
07-28-2011, 05:11 PM
You get irl Juggalos?

I wanna see a juggalo.

I did see a guy who was wearing an ICP shirt and a gas mask. I threw a bottle at his head.
Did you hit him?

lolmnt
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Did you hit him?I don't ever miss.

SuperBlob
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't ever miss.
*-)

JesusOfSbrbia
07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Sometimes I think riot grrrl and feminism in the punk scene are outdated and not necessary anymore, and then some drunk guy gropes my friends at a show and I remember that it still sucks to be a girl in a band and have people **** with you all the time.

due 07
07-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Or ask them if they know how ridiculous they look.Kids will be kids.

neidnarb11890
07-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Says the kid with the My Pretty Pony avatar.

uhh_me?
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
this is a good thread and i would read it one hundred more times.

due 07
07-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Says the kid with the My Pretty Pony avatar.
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/104/494/original/idontseeyourpoint2.jpg?1299654434

█▐▌█▐▌
07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
There was a juggalo in my Guv'ment class my senior year. The teacher always made fun of him. So one time I had to write a mock resume cover letter thing in that class, and I mock-applied as a roadie for ICP.

Oh, I've got it right here on the computer:

Insane Clown Posse, Inc.
645 Plfsqr3 Blvd.
Detroit, Michigan 16168

To Whom it may concern:

Thank you for considering my application for the available roadie position and for taking the time to review my résumé. I believe you will find that I am very qualified to be a member of your road crew.

As a high-school dropout with a GED, I feel my credentials set me apart from other applicants. I have held temporary positions with several sleazy traveling circuses, so I am accustomed to clowns and crystal meth users. Thanks to my juggalo friends, I have developed a taste for bad music. I hope to become a valuable member of your team.

█▐▌█▐▌
Teacher read it for the class. (Pretty cool dude btw—he liked the Talking Heads and The Clash a bunch.)

due 07
07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
:haha :haha

BK202
07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
My public transit has undergone a metamorphosis so it now act as a congregation for these guys:

Ow. This is my interpretation of Chicago Transit.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy198/BenjaminKracoIsCool/Chicagotrainstuff.jpg

If I had more space, there's like 10 subcultures I missed out on.

nashawa
07-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't ever miss.
What an awkward way to phrase that...

iwannabesedated
07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I went to a school here in rural Ohio.

a good 20% of the guys in the school were juggaloes. That is no exaggeration.

lolmnt
07-28-2011, 08:58 PM
What an awkward way to phrase that...Read it in a cowboy's voice.

jakesmellspoo
07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
:haha: love that resume'. i've never seen a juggalo in person, but my roommate made me watch the miracles music video. for some reason he loved the line about magnets. i hate icp

oh, and props to you for hitting that one in the head w/ a bottle

nashawa
07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Read it in a cowboy's voice.
Then wouldn't "I don't never miss" work better?

EDIT: What is the proper way to pluralize "Juggalo?"

lolmnt
07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
If you want to be stereotypical sure.

neidnarb11890
07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Don't never doesn't make sense, that's a double negative.

nashawa
07-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Don't never doesn't make sense, that's a double negative.
Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

SuperBlob
07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Then wouldn't "I don't never miss" work better?

EDIT: What is the proper way to pluralize "Juggalo?"
Going by the Short Attention song, it would be "Juggalos"

jakesmellspoo
07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I always thought it was Juggaloes. eh, does it really matter? it's not like they're real people or anything.

due 07
07-29-2011, 08:56 PM
I actually don't know if it's juggalos or juggaloes.

Piano --> Pianos
Potato --> Potatoes

The word most closely resembles 'buffalo', which can be pluralized by buffaloes or buffalo.

So I'd say both of these sentences work:

"What a silly juggalo!"

"Look at all the juggalo!"

neidnarb11890
07-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I liked it better when this thread was about boners.

due 07
07-29-2011, 09:11 PM
I liked it better when this thread was about boners.If I had a nickel for every time I said that...

lolmnt
07-29-2011, 11:08 PM
A group of female juggalos is a group of juggahoes.

iwannabesedated
07-29-2011, 11:10 PM
I believe it is actually Juggalettes.

lolmnt
07-29-2011, 11:46 PM
If you're being classy about it.

BK202
07-30-2011, 12:03 AM
I liked it better when this thread was about boners.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/FQldugXXboznae4qWNeEPGLxo1_400.jpg

due 07
07-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, 'juggahoe' is offensive--they still have feelings, you know. Female juggalo are colloquially referred to as 'lettes within the subculture.

EDIT: ^ lul

lolmnt
07-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, 'juggahoe' is offensive--they still have feelings, you know. Female juggalo are colloquially referred to as 'lettes within the subculture.

EDIT: ^ lul
No they don't.

BK202
07-30-2011, 12:09 AM
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy198/BenjaminKracoIsCool/juggaol.jpg

neidnarb11890
07-30-2011, 12:13 AM
I get a boner when I listen to Kathleen Hanna singin' "SUCK! MY! LEFT! OOOOOOOOONE".

due 07
07-30-2011, 01:06 AM
No they don't.Fair enough; that was merely speculation.

BK202
07-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Using my MSPaint artisan skills, I successfully made an erotic juggalo picture. 2Legit2Quit.

jakesmellspoo
07-30-2011, 02:33 AM
i think this thread goes a long way towards proving this generation all has serious attention deficit disorder. from riot grrrl to boners to juggalos, then boners and juggalos

iwannabesedated
07-30-2011, 03:57 AM
i think this thread goes a long way towards proving this generation all has serious attention deficit disorder. from riot grrrl to boners to juggalos, then boners and juggalos

I think that's a pretty logical progression actually.

jakesmellspoo
07-30-2011, 04:53 AM
i don't know about you, but juggalos are boner repellant for me. literally, i see one and it recedes into my body, then i get nauseous

gopherthegreat
08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
why would you ever not have an erection?

I'm a MTV Punk
09-01-2011, 04:30 AM
do you guys consider Miley Cyrus to be punk? I think she should be, considering how well she covered the punk classic Smells Like Teen Spirit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95OzzII6dj4)

Lowan
09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
The riot grrrl-scene is really nice! Good music.
That people critisize Riot Grrrl proves that it still needs in the society today.

iwannabesedated
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
The riot grrrl-scene is really nice! Good music.
That people critisize Riot Grrrl proves that it still needs in the society today.

...what?

nashawa
09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm assume English isn't their first language. With that said, it's easy to understand what they meant regardless.

BK202
09-17-2011, 11:13 PM
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy198/BenjaminKracoIsCool/juggaol.jpg
What the fuck is this

due 07
09-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah, s/he's Swedish. It's not bad.

Aww yea

iwannabesedated
09-18-2011, 04:13 AM
I'm assume English isn't their first language. With that said, it's easy to understand what they meant regardless.

You're right...the first time I read it it didn't make sense for some reason, but now it kinda does.

Weird. :(

Lowan
09-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Haha, it took me 10 minutes to write that sentence and still it doesn't make any sense. :(

JesusOfSbrbia
09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
^ Nah, I understood it.