looking at neck

PDA

View Full Version : looking at neck

lsatrarcyy
04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
ok should i practice looking as little as i can at the fretboard? Also why is it that it seems less entertaining if you are looking at it during shows?

Final
04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
You're not connecting with the audience as much if you have to keep staring at your fretboard.

SomeEvilDude
04-17-2006, 03:45 PM
ok should i practice looking as little as i can at the fretboard? Also why is it that it seems less entertaining if you are looking at it during shows?

Yes. Learn to play the guitar without looking at fretboard, and try to move around with it too.
It's important to do if you're considering gigging for a few simple reasons. Firstly, as the above person said, you can connect with the audience a lot better if you're looking at them. It's also easier to gauge general reactions to what you're doing and the song itself if you can see the audience.
As for the moving around thing (which I know you didn't mention, but I'm bringing it up anyway), it's not particularly entertaining to watch someone standing stock still and playing their part. It builds and releases energy, as well as relieveing tension and giving the audience something to look at that's slightly interesting.

coralfankevin
04-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Also, if you really have to look at your fretboard you can probably get away with it if you move about enough, as you're still interesting to watch