PDA

View Full Version : Bad Religion

minorthreat123
04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Anyone like Bad Religion :D

somepunkkid
04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Anyone like Bad Religion :D

I dont know if its just me but they sound pretty pop-punkish, well most of the stuff i have by them anyways. They're all right

uterus
04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm sure people do and I'm sure there's a thread like this somewhere.

ToolBass_dude
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
yes.

Butterknife
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I do

EpitaphMan440
04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Only the best punk rock band to ever be established. Great music, riviting and thought provoking lyrics (you will need a dictionary to understand half the stuff Greg sings about).

Loved them since 94'. Love all thier old stuff too.

DopeDanny
04-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Saw em live with Anti Flag they kick ass!!!!!!!!!One of the best bands ever!

ToolBass_dude
04-17-2006, 06:07 PM
this is the best thing about them- we have a Tool fan, a punk fan, a dimebag fan, and incubus fan....everyone likes Bad religion! their older stuff is appreciated by punks, their newer stuff is appreciated by loads more.

Alex

DoverHockeyPunk
04-17-2006, 06:07 PM
i really want to get into them but im not sure which record to start with

i love some of the songs i have downloaded

IdTheDestroyer
04-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Bad Religion is one of my favorite bands. Anyone who says they are "Pop-punkish" is a mongoloid who cares nothing about punk culture. Bad Religion has been a pillar of punk since 1981. They are more important than the Sex Pistols, the Clash, or any of those other cutsie "Punk Rvolutionaries". Bad Religion, The Misfits, and Black Flag are probably the most critical bands for spreading punk music outside of LA and New York. Listen to the albums like Generator, Suffer, and No Control. They changed my life

EpitaphMan440
04-17-2006, 06:08 PM
No Control, The Grey Race, Stranger Than Fiction.

3 Great albums

The untouched
04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Only the best punk rock band to ever be established. Great music, riviting and thought provoking lyrics (you will need a dictionary to understand half the stuff Greg sings about).

Loved them since 94'. Love all thier old stuff too.
Green day was voted the best punk / rock band... well thats what i heard. And i think they are aswell.

minorthreat123
04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
**** GreenDay

Bad Religions most popular albums are:
no control
stranger than fiction

but i think their best albums are: suffer, recipe for hate, the process of belief, The Empire Strikes First, and i like How Could Hell Be Any Worse

i saw them with anti-flag, but anti-flag runied the first part of the show.

EpitaphMan440
04-17-2006, 06:13 PM
It's funny. Green Day had opened for Bad Religion in the past.

Iluvpowerchords
04-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Greg likes to get freaky on Webcams. :)

opivy21
04-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Greg likes to get freaky on Webcams. :)
Did anybody ever find out if that was true or not?

hardrock1315
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Bad Religion is one of my favorite bands. Anyone who says they are "Pop-punkish" is a mongoloid who cares nothing about punk culture. Bad Religion has been a pillar of punk since 1981. They are more important than the Sex Pistols, the Clash, or any of those other cutsie "Punk Rvolutionaries". Bad Religion, The Misfits, and Black Flag are probably the most critical bands for spreading punk music outside of LA and New York. Listen to the albums like Generator, Suffer, and No Control. They changed my life

So wait, I'm of Asian descent if I think Bad Religion are pop-punk?

And yes, I like Bad Religion.

the glue man
04-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Bad Religion = POP PUNK.

They have a poppy sound, they started the path for NOFX and all those bands. It would be better if they stayed true to their roots though, Epitaph is now part of the NRAA or whatever it's called. The thing gives you gold records and all that, so now they will probably have to put the Parental Advisory sticker on all the Epitaph albums.

Don't get me wrong, I think their older stuff is alright and all.

capsfan17
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I enjoy then quite a bit. My favorite stuff they dad was into the unknown, which is quite hard to get a hold of, but its amazing.

vlp_dope
04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Green Day had opened for Bad Religion in the past

ha!

yeah they're ok.

LoudnSnotty138
04-18-2006, 12:01 AM
I dont know why people like them so much. i dont fell they contributed alot to punk. I wouldnt really call them a punk band anyway.

xArCaDiAx
04-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Def. turned to Pop-Punk over time. But that is NOT a bad thing. Ive liked them their entire career.

somepunkkid
04-18-2006, 01:57 AM
So wait, I'm of Asian descent if I think Bad Religion are pop-punk?

And yes, I like Bad Religion.

Correct me if im wrong, but i believe mongoloid means anyone who isnt aryan, for example im itallian so i believe im considered mongoloid and unpure. Asan = Mongolan i believe. Basically hes being more racsist than me

phobos
04-18-2006, 02:07 AM
they were my gateway band. the first punk band i liked...they laughed at me in the 6th and 7th grades for liking them...look who's laughing now...

actually i'm not too sure who's laughing really. they haven't been on my playlists for years though, as important as they were to my personal music taste.

DopeDanny
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I dont know why people like them so much. i dont fell they contributed alot to punk. I wouldnt really call them a punk band anyway.

hey buddy?are you stoned??!!!!!
There a great ****in band and a punk band!u jackass!why wouldnt you call them punk??

GreenDayChris
04-18-2006, 11:26 AM
They are more important than the Sex Pistols, the Clash, or any of those other cutsie "Punk Rvolutionaries". Bad Religion, The Misfits, and Black Flag are probably the most critical bands for spreading punk music outside of LA and New York. Listen to the albums like Generator, Suffer, and No Control. They changed my life

Not a bad band, haven't heard too much from them like, but this ^ is bollocks

hardrock1315
04-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but i believe mongoloid means anyone who isnt aryan, for example im itallian so i believe im considered mongoloid and unpure. Asan = Mongolan i believe. Basically hes being more racsist than me

Nope.

There are three basic classifications of body type:

Mongoloid - Characterized by yellowish skin, thin eye openings due to deposits of fat above the eye used to keep warm, almost exclusively black hair, and also usually shortness. Known as Mongoloid because the Mongols invaded a bunch of Asian countries and basically ruled a bunch of them that we know today. Too bad for them Mongolia is not very large now. Basically "Asian".
Negroid - Characterized by dark brown skin and very curly usually black hair. Basically "Black".
Caucasian - Characterized by light tan skin and straight, wavy, or curly hair that can be any hair color. Basically "White".

There you go asshole.

phil992
04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Maybe I've just heard older songs (my favourite songs are modern man, better of dead, I want to conquer the world, you, superman bla bla) but theres definately no way these songs can be called pop-punk.

Not Now
04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
I like them. Havent heard much recently though.

ss311
04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
The old stuff isn't pop punk. The new stuff...

somepunkkid
04-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Nope.

There are three basic classifications of body type:

Mongoloid - Characterized by yellowish skin, thin eye openings due to deposits of fat above the eye used to keep warm, almost exclusively black hair, and also usually shortness. Known as Mongoloid because the Mongols invaded a bunch of Asian countries and basically ruled a bunch of them that we know today. Too bad for them Mongolia is not very large now. Basically "Asian".
Negroid - Characterized by dark brown skin and very curly usually black hair. Basically "Black".
Caucasian - Characterized by light tan skin and straight, wavy, or curly hair that can be any hair color. Basically "White".

There you go asshole.
My definition came from a book about nazi's that kept refering to non-aryan's as mongoloids.

I wasnt making fun of you or anything, so dont take it personally. I actually respect you

ygokazuki
04-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I came here to see what "real punk" was and I saw a Bad Religion thread and I'm like..."this is just what you told be pop-punk was!" I like 'em.

LoudnSnotty138
04-18-2006, 11:37 PM
hey buddy?are you stoned??!!!!!
There a great ****in band and a punk band!u jackass!why wouldnt you call them punk??

Shut up, they are a pop band.

hardrock1315
04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
My definition came from a book about nazi's that kept refering to non-aryan's as mongoloids.

I wasnt making fun of you or anything, so dont take it personally. I actually respect you

Of course you respect me.

No hard feelings man.

And I throw around asshole lightly, I didn't mean to call you an asshole.

Andrewbiles
04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Personally I've always considered Bad Religion a pop-punk band.
Listened to them on and off for the past decade, favourite albums are 'grey race' and 'no substance', 'a process of belief' was a complete let down when that came out but it grew on me.

Red.Washburn77
04-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Damn good band.

--Red:zzz:

banaantje
04-19-2006, 04:55 PM
bad religion is ok, but pop punk indeed, they're very commercial :)

chow7
04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
All of Bad Religions songs sound the same to me, and I never considered them a true punk band either

MrLucky77713
04-19-2006, 08:06 PM
bad religion is ok, but pop punk indeed, they're very commercial :)

Pop-punk and commercial have nothing to do with eachother. Plenty of pop-punk bands don't sell any records and don't get a lot of air time. If sales determined genre, there'd be a hell of a lot more pop-punk bands.

BR is really sort of the "skate-punk" or whatever style. It isn't really punk, since some of that edge is gone, but it isn't quite as poppy as your typical modern pop-punk stuff like NFG, Blink 182, NHOI, etc. They fit better here than they do in the pop-punk/emo forum.

minorthreat123
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
i woundnt consider them pop punk either.

banaantje
04-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Pop-punk and commercial have nothing to do with eachother. Plenty of pop-punk bands don't sell any records and don't get a lot of air time. If sales determined genre, there'd be a hell of a lot more pop-punk bands.

BR is really sort of the "skate-punk" or whatever style. It isn't really punk, since some of that edge is gone, but it isn't quite as poppy as your typical modern pop-punk stuff like NFG, Blink 182, NHOI, etc. They fit better here than they do in the pop-punk/emo forum.

True, I didn't say they have something to do with eachother, but now I see I better wrote it on a different way :)

I wanted to say that it isn't punk cause they are very commercial. I mean, I don't know any (very) commercial punk bands (since they are against plate societies).

But I agree with u, it's less poppy then typical modern pop punk, didn't know a name for it tho... Mwah I like them because they are not as poppy as blink182 ****...

Uhm, but one newbie question, what's emo? =)

minorthreat123
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Since its inception, emo has come to describe several independent variations, linked loosely but with common ancestry. As such, use of the term (and which musicians should be so classified) has been the subject of much debate.

In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s Washington, DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and literally emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and, slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to reflect the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason put forth a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic in nature than its predecessor. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles.

As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the more mainstream style, creating a style of music that has now earned the moniker emo within popular culture. Whereas, even in the past, the term emo was used to identify a wide variety of bands, the breadth of bands listed under today's emo is even more vast, leaving the term "emo" as more of a loose identifier than as a specific genre of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

phil992
04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
What about their music is pop-punk exactly?

minorthreat123
04-20-2006, 08:07 PM
What about their music is pop-punk exactly?

i have no idea why they are conciderd pop-punk, i would concider them just punk.

rockeroller
04-20-2006, 10:37 PM
i like them. yay.

MrLucky77713
04-20-2006, 11:18 PM
True, I didn't say they have something to do with eachother, but now I see I better wrote it on a different way :)

I wanted to say that it isn't punk cause they are very commercial. I mean, I don't know any (very) commercial punk bands (since they are against plate societies).

But I agree with u, it's less poppy then typical modern pop punk, didn't know a name for it tho... Mwah I like them because they are not as poppy as blink182 ****...

Uhm, but one newbie question, what's emo? =)

Commercial as in they sell a lot of records? I might be a poser, but I don't ever remember punk abnds being against people liking their music... BR has been around long enough that they just sell a lot of albums and have a successful record company. It isn't like they "sold out to the man." Whatever the hell that is.

That said, I didn't really like the feel of Empire Strikes First.

Don't get into that whole "poppy = garbage" thing. Poppy music is catchy. Besides, there are plenty of pop-punk bands that kick ass.

banaantje
04-22-2006, 04:55 AM
I don't mean nobody likes their music...but punk shouldn't be (to) commercial because they are against plate societies (dunno why tho :s).

Many people of the original punk subculture find commercialization of punk disillusioning. They argue that punk is by definition unpopular (seeing "pop punk" as a contradiction in terms) and should remain that way because it provides a needed challenge to mainstream culture.

Since the beginning of punk, major label record companies have tried to profit from underground punk culture. For the most part this is met with much resistance because of the punk ethic of musical integrity which punks often feel is threatened by record label profit motivation.

I also don't like it cause they probably get lots of money...while there are so many problems in the world they can help...but ye that's my opinion this last thing...

(btw thx minorthreat123, how could I forget to look on wikipedia :S )

GrTz

MrLucky77713
04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I don't mean nobody likes their music...but punk shouldn't be (too) commercial because they are against plate societies (dunno why tho :s).

Many people of the original punk subculture find commercialization of punk disillusioning. They argue that punk is by definition unpopular (seeing "pop punk" as a contradiction in terms) and should remain that way because it provides a needed challenge to mainstream culture.

Pop in pop-punk doesn't mean popular. It just emulates a bit of the "pop" sound by being catchier, more upbeat, and more juvenile in theme.

The argument that punk is by definition unpopular is just simply wrong. Bands would cease to be punk once people saw that they were good and started buying records. Even if it gets big and takes the hell OVER mianstream culture, it's still an alternative.

Since the beginning of punk, major label record companies have tried to profit from underground punk culture. For the most part this is met with much resistance because of the punk ethic of musical integrity which punks often feel is threatened by record label profit motivation.

Yeah? Ramones started out with Warner Brothers, Clash were with Epic, MC5 with Elektra (eventually a subsidiary of Atlantic). I'll give you that 80s was a big DIY thing, but it wasn't at first. Don't talk about those "evil record companies." Going beyond a DIY label when you have a name for yourself gets the music out. A tiny ass label can't always put out the volume your fans want, so you move.

I also don't like it cause they probably get lots of money...while there are so many problems in the world they can help...but ye that's my opinion this last thing...

(btw thx minorthreat123, how could I forget to look on wikipedia :S )

GrTz
Private citizens can do little other than give to charities, and it isn't economical. A gift of 100,000 dollars to charity is worth a 30% tax deduction ($30K). That's 70K in the hole... then you pay taxes.

Besides, it isn't as if A0F is living in a mansion. they don't do THAT well.

phil992
04-22-2006, 04:41 PM
How are they cathier and more upbeat than other punk bands?

BassNewbie
04-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Your lyrics make you punk...but if im wrong. that means i could sound like operation ivy and sing about heart breaking break ups and be punk

banaantje
04-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Pop in pop-punk doesn't mean popular. It just emulates a bit of the "pop" sound by being catchier, more upbeat, and more juvenile in theme.

The argument that punk is by definition unpopular is just simply wrong. Bands would cease to be punk once people saw that they were good and started buying records. Even if it gets big and takes the hell OVER mianstream culture, it's still an alternative.

Yeah? Ramones started out with Warner Brothers, Clash were with Epic, MC5 with Elektra (eventually a subsidiary of Atlantic). I'll give you that 80s was a big DIY thing, but it wasn't at first. Don't talk about those "evil record companies." Going beyond a DIY label when you have a name for yourself gets the music out. A tiny ass label can't always put out the volume your fans want, so you move.

Private citizens can do little other than give to charities, and it isn't economical. A gift of 100,000 dollars to charity is worth a 30% tax deduction ($30K). That's 70K in the hole... then you pay taxes.

Besides, it isn't as if A0F is living in a mansion. they don't do THAT well.

Well, I'm not an expert at this. I just like punk and I have much sympathy for punk. In the text there stands many, often (so not everyone things the same about this.) I know someone (a punker) who probably knows a good reply on this, going to ask his opinion cause he can always persuade me.

And about the taxes, yea that's true and it sucks, but still I'm mad at ppl with loads of money who waste it while ppl are dying on, uhm, not human ways (u know what I mean)

Sorry about the "too", my english is bad :confus:

GrTz

banaantje
04-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Ok, so:
It's true some groups use DIY to get to higher labels. But this is stupid because it's not necessery to get more fans. If u are known, u can bring youre music out yourself, cause u know you will get enough money back to pay that.

ppl who go to a big label are no "punk" in my/his eyes because they only want to make money. the music is ment for ppl, not to make much money and to make the label get a lot of money. Also, the labels want to have a good reputation, so some stuff u believe in could be censored. It's possible with DIY labels to get enough fans and create enough uhm, sound.

Bands go to DIY labels to protest against the big labels (and a lot more), so persons who go there to get to a big label, they changed idea, just to make a lot of money.

The label als wants to say where youre group stands for, with a big label u make the people pay to much money. A lot of money goes to one person...the boss of the label or how the f*ck u write it.

Now, bad religion is one of the (in my eyes) "better" commercial "punk". But some other groups, I mean, they sing about love...omfg that's not what punk is about, punk is ment as protest against a lot of **** in this world...then u don't sing about silly things just to be commercial and to sell your music (wich means nothing in my eyes). Or groups who sing about big problems in this world which they could help with the money they get. But they do nothing but sing and make money for their self in stead of giving it to a good organisation, and about the taxes, so what? What is best, lose 30% and make the life of much ppl better or use it yourself to make it yourself not even better or happyer, only richer? (ow yea, think of this, everything u buy have some % taxes or how is it called!!!)This is not focused on bad religion but on all the commercial (punk)groups. (some are worse then others afcourse)

Well, u have your own opinion (just like those groups), and I'm not angry at you or them for that, but I'm just dissapointed. All this **** doesn't mean I dislike bad religion...they make great music, and (sometimes) good lyrics, and I love to listen to this music....They just don't give a damn about punk.

I play guitar, but I never wanne be commercial and get a lot of money bacause money can't make (me) much more happyer, OR I wanne be commercial as hell, and get loads of money to make the world better...I would live in a mansion....

GrTz
(Like I said, my english is bad, dun kill me if I wrote some stuff wrong :S)