The Song that got you into the Blues

PDA

View Full Version : The Song that got you into the Blues

IrishBlues
04-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey Im curious what would be the one song that got you into the blues.

Im 15 and have been a blues fan for about 2 years now. For me it would start with Claptons more modern stuff that I heard then I got into some Stevie and Hendrix. Which lead me back into B.B., John Lee Hooker and all the way back to Robert Johnson. But if I had to pick the one song that really made me realize that I loved blues was hearing Stevie play Texas Flood. Never heard someone with so much passion ....

voxdude26
04-17-2006, 09:13 PM
mine was Pride and Joy by SRV.

twistedsister
04-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Dude, the day I started playing guitar( October 4, 2003) my teacher said, Dude if you wanna play rock or metal or anything else you gotta know the blues. He showed me how to play a simplified version of Johny b Goode and I was hooked.

Johnsonville
04-17-2006, 10:03 PM
red house by JIMI HENDRIX

master
04-17-2006, 10:34 PM
the live version of midnight rambler by the rolling stones

Nefro
04-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Where Did You Sleep Last Night? by Leadbelly

I remember hearing the nirvana song and liking it, so I got a best of Leadbelly and listened to that song. The vocals and guitar style just won me over, and I've loved blues ever since.

SomeEvilDude
04-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Red House, by Hendrix.
From that, moved onto SRV, got into Cream, and then dived headfirst (note to others: don't do it) into Robert Johnson. Didn't like that, moved onto BB King, Albert King, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, then backtracked again to Robert Johnson, and I like it.

dr_john
04-18-2006, 06:45 AM
'smokestack lightin' by howling wolf or 'dimples' by john lee hooker, can't remember which one i heard first but they were what got me hooked on the blues

sandwich_man
04-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Probably "Before You Accuse Me" on Clapton's Unplugged album. From there I got into Clapton's "From The Cradle", then into Cream and Hendrix.

tommyt
04-18-2006, 01:52 PM
the thrill is gone by bb king

Friedmaniac
04-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Voodoo Chile (slight return) by Hendrix

rocknroll blues
04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
....dived headfirst (note to others: don't do it) into Robert Johnson

Well, I did the same, essentially, going in my case from Zeppelin and Cream and whatnot to Robert Johnson and Son House etc.

It works for some people.

But the first heavily blues-reliant rock song I ever hear was You Shook Me (by Zeppelin), and I recognized it as coming from a tradition greater than anything rock could have produced by itself.

From there I'd say probably something by Howlin' Wolf, most likely Smokestack Lightning

creedance
04-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Well i think All of ccr music

hippy12
04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Highway 49 - Howlin' Wolf

hastetheday23
04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
definitly tears in heaven by clapton

dr_john
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Well i think All of ccr music

:D

MrAngryEyes
04-19-2006, 03:57 PM
mannish boy - muddy waters. If you want some really cool blues, look for a guy called Ivan Zar. Born in Egypt, came to Perth, Western Australia as a kid, has played with some well known bands and in some fairly big concerts over the years, and now busks and sells his CD's on the street in town. I was watching him play for a bit, then bought a cd off him, not knowing who he was. I'd love to find him again and have a chat.

Shaman's Blues
04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
It was either Howlin wolf or LeadBelly

TUMFP
04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
How Blue Can You Get - BB King, and probably Texas Flood - SRV

TNfootballfan62
04-20-2006, 10:32 PM
For me, it started with the blues rock stuff. Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. After that, i got my hands on some SRV. Ever since then i've been head over heels for blues.

automatedshovel
04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Gotta go with Red House, ala Jimi Hendrix

Goon
04-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan's whole live album with Double Trouble.
Sooo great that was indeed.:)

Night_Lights
04-22-2006, 06:24 AM
little wing. hendrix. srv.

Ninjashidan
04-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Gary Moore got me into blues!...the thrill is gone is a awesome song!...but thats also with bb kind. i like hes songs (the loner, still got the blues, parsisienne walkways)

Gary moore got me into playing guitars all together. I just out of curiosity downloaded spanish guitar by gary moore and bought a guitar to learn it. GARY MOORES MY FAV!:D

MAXWELLMURDER
04-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Crossroads (either Clapton or Johnson), Johnny B. Goode orrrrrr Stray Cat Strut

MAXWELLMURDER
04-24-2006, 11:34 PM
oooooh, or Why I sing the blues, by B.B

TheHeartbreaker
04-25-2006, 02:11 PM
the thrill is gone by bb king

:cheers:

The version that did me was the one from Live at the Cook County Jail.

Well, I should say that's how I got into blues-blues ; I'd always listened to bands like The Allman Brothers, Ten Years After, Cream, Zeppelin, etc. that are defined as blues-rock

Ferg
04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
at first i played a lotta funk and rock stuff, like RHCP, Funkadelic, and i had done some blues stuff and a lotta jazz stuff, but it wasn't until i heard SRV's Empty Arms that i got truly hooked on blues. and the rest is history

Alex S.
04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
The songs that got me into the blues are:

Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray
Red House - Jimi Hendrix

king_harvest88
04-30-2006, 11:26 AM
blues-rock has always been around my house, so its hard to say, but probably hendrix, or skynyrd was the first i heard.

as for trad blues, it was probably about 6 years ago, i would of been about 11 and my brother had just started playing guitar (i hadnt started playing yet), anyway, he bought a guitar mag that had tab for boom boom by john lee hooker, and the moment i heard that riff i was hooked(get it, hooker, hooked, yeah?, no?, ahhh, i give up)

Rocknut
05-05-2006, 11:07 PM
SRV's Pride and Joy for me. Great tone and warmth plus loads of passion. His guitars skills are unsurpassed especialy with that trem bar.

MY Gear

epiphone les paul custom
B-52 at 212 100 watt amplifier all tube
no effects accept for reverb and an occasional wah (for Hendrix) :cool:

ThePurpleRabbit
05-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Texas Flood.

First the song, then the whole album.

metallicman
05-13-2006, 06:07 PM
i gotta say eric clapton, i like metal music still do, but i heard eric clapton especially when he played in cream and he got me into the blues, he really influenced me in the way i play on the guitar and his passion, i read before he plays in a concert he only thinks about the ideas he can use in his solos within about a minute of playing....i want to be like that, but i liked most white room and sunshine of your love, definately!

Angus76
05-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Sweet Home Chicago by Robert Johnson.

meh!
05-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Rugged road, robben Ford.

Still my favourite guitarist

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2006, 12:45 PM
^^^Have you heard "Riley B. King" by Keb' Mo' ?

It's a tribute to BB King, but it features Robert Cray and Robben Ford with backup vocals and guitar solos. Very good song.

master
05-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Rugged road, robben Ford.

Still my favourite guitarist

Robben Ford is awesome. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and his whole band was on fire. I think his only weakness is his voice.

.I.T.
05-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Backdoor Man, The Doors. or Crawling King Snake also by the Doors

Derigiberble
05-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Sweet Home Chicago when my dad first showed me the Blues Brothers, that song and the whole film itself just got me hooked.

meh!
05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Robben Ford is awesome. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and his whole band was on fire. I think his only weakness is his voice.

Yeah, it is definatley the weakest part, i think it shows alot on "ain't got nothin but the blues" from talk to your daughter, everythingf on that song is just so...tight..and amazing, you just feel let down by his voice.

and also, lucky bitch, the best i can get is a live DVD..stupid Scotland living...damn.

"^^^Have you heard "Riley B. King" by Keb' Mo' ?

It's a tribute to BB King, but it features Robert Cray and Robben Ford with backup vocals and guitar solos. Very good song."

Oh, wow Robert cray is a much newer passion of mine, after hearing time makes two...
No, I haven't. But now that i know about it, i will be sure to look for it, thanks.

TNfootballfan62
05-14-2006, 06:49 PM
^^^You can find it on the album "Keep it Simple" unless you are into illegal downloads, lol.

The Master Plan
05-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Probably a song by my gramps. By a famous artist it would probably be Red House by Hendrix, from there I went to SRV now I'm getting into the blues standards.

StaggHound
05-14-2006, 09:00 PM
"Lucille" by BB King.

As soon as I heard that... I just fell in love with the blues.

Now I even listen to blues when I sleep.

zep123
05-14-2006, 09:20 PM
the thrill is gone-bb king

luckily, it came a bit earlier for me

VR2005
05-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Stormy Monday- The Allman Brothers Band cover on Live at Fillmore East.

stepay
05-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Can't pinpont the first song, because I was a fan of the blues before I realized it WAS blues. Was a HUGE Doors fan and ZZ Top fan as a kid, and it wasn't until I started taking playing keyboards (I'm also a guitarist now) in a blues band in California in my early 20s that I learned 1-4-5 and blues progressions and that many Doors songs are blues and pretty much all ZZ Top songs are. So, I like the more rocking blues stuff. Led Zeppelin also falls into this category; Grand Funk Railroad too.

Then I started listening to Clapton (and Cream and Derek and the Dominoes) and the Allman Brothers and SRV and Hendrix and then Jeff Healey and Jonny Lang and Keb Mo and Joe Bonamassa and Anthony Gomes and Walter Trout and Ray Charles and Johnny Winter.

All that got me interested in some of the older blues guys, so I checked out Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry and Willie Dixon (I think he was a great writer, but I prefer his songs played by other people -- he's a bit too slow and boring for me), and Big Joe Williams and Pinetop Perkins and Dr. John and BB King and Albert King and Robert Johnson and Howlin Wolf (though I'm not a huge fan of his).

That's it pretty much.

Stinging_Acid
05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Buddy Guy
"There Ain't no Midnight Train"
And Eric Clapton's "Layla"

TNfootballfan62
05-16-2006, 08:21 PM
^^^There Ain't no midnight train feat. Johnny Lang is one of my favorite songs. :cheers:

Stinging_Acid
05-16-2006, 08:27 PM
^ lol yeah, it's great. Its got great vocals and a great feel to it.

TNfootballfan62
05-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Yea. I really dig johnny lang's voice. (as well as Buddy's, obviously)

StaggHound
05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
many Doors songs are blues and pretty much all ZZ Top songs are. So, I like the more rocking blues stuff. Led Zeppelin also falls into this category; Grand Funk Railroad too.

I maintain, Rock is just Blues played by white folks.

IrishBlues
05-16-2006, 09:52 PM

lol hope ur kidding

StaggHound
05-16-2006, 10:11 PM
lol hope ur kidding

About 50/50, I reckon.

IrishBlues
05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Okay Ill go with that

Stinging_Acid
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
^Lol, the last 4 posts have been quite funny.
I've never thought of rock that way, StaggHound, but I'm sure you could prove your point citing examples.

meh!
05-19-2006, 06:56 PM

I would say it's just coincidence and then point out people like Robben Ford and Rory galagher...

but, meh.

StaggHound
05-19-2006, 07:32 PM
I have no sources to cite.

Aside from, well, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, and Jefferson Airplane, which were cited in the post I quoted as being blues, were primarily rock bands.

So it makes sense to me.

At the very least, y'all gotta admit there's a much bigger Blues influence in Rock than influence by any other Genre.

Well, maybe Jazz, but Jazz is just Blues that forgot what it's all about.

Moeson
05-19-2006, 07:36 PM
White Room by Cream, my mind was never the same

meh!
05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I have no sources to cite.

Aside from, well, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, and Jefferson Airplane, which were cited in the post I quoted as being blues, were primarily rock bands.

So it makes sense to me.

At the very least, y'all gotta admit there's a much bigger Blues influence in Rock than influence by any other Genre.

I dind't dispute that blues is were rock came from, obviosuly it had a huge influence, iwas just poitnting out to great white blues guitarists. (/saxapohne/piano in Robben Fords case)

StaggHound
05-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, I never said it was totally true.

This may sound like retcon, but it was at least partly a joke.

Being that the majority of Rock is played by white folks,
and the majority of Blues is not.

Sure, now, you get white Bluesmen, but that's because they learned Blues, not because they're where Blues comes from.

meh!
05-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, I never said it was totally true.

This may sound like retcon, but it was at least partly a joke.

Being that the majority of Rock is played by white folks,
and the majority of Blues is not.

Sure, now, you get white Bluesmen, but that's because they learned Blues, not because they're where Blues comes from.

I could get really pretentious and say blues comes from the heart and everyone has the capacity for it..but i won't:p:

..even though i just did..so yeah..haha

but yeah i'ts 2 in the morning far to late ofr me to pick up on humour, i'm going to bed.

BlueOyster23
05-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Well, I love classic rock songs with blues overtones, and also the Blues Brothers, but the first pure blues song I got hooked on besides those, would be "Rock Me Baby" by B.B. King, and I was overjoyed that he he played that when I saw him live.

Def
05-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Blues Power - Albert King

That guy could bend like nothing i've ever heard, and the stuff he was playing was unthinkable. Loved the stuff from then on ;)

Falcatarius
05-20-2006, 05:47 PM
The song that made me realize blues would defenitly be SRV's Texas Flood.

The first time i watched the live footage of him playing i was blown away.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

ElementGuy
05-21-2006, 04:08 AM
SRV and Double Trouble - Texas Flood.

wmzbomgzors
05-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Like most of the other people on here i was listening to blues before I knew it was blues. Page's early works, Cream, Clapton. But a few months ago I went to a guitar jam/competition and was told it was blues 15 minutes before I went on stage. I played blues (although it was more of a blues scale in the key of e with repetitive stopping and random bending that actually sounded like a form of blues), somehow I won the competition came back home and checked out this dude named Stevie Ray Vaughan (some of you might know him :D), and after hearing his version of Texas Flood Live i was hooked.