The Same Lyric in 2 Songs

PDA

View Full Version : The Same Lyric in 2 Songs

CheckOutSerafin
04-18-2006, 05:26 AM
Okay can anyone explain why these lyrics, from Led Zeppelin II are so similar to Jimi Hendrixs' If 6 was 9?
I can't find any dates but i belive that the two songs were released in about 1968/69 so within about a year of each other.
If 6 was 9 - Jimi Hendrix
If the sun refused to shine
I don?t mind, I don?t mind
If the mountains, fell in the sea
Let it be, it ain?t me.
Thank You - Led Zeppelin
If the sun refused to shine,
I would still be loving you.
When mountains crumble to the sea,
There will still be you and me.
I know both artists were heavily influenced by blues tradition so maybe the lyric is from an older song?
But all the same, why would they both be released in the same year by different people?

yeoman125
04-18-2006, 05:41 AM
lots of blues lyrics were reused. Free's the hunter is reused and then features in led zeppelin's c'mon everybody

CheckOutSerafin
04-18-2006, 05:44 AM
I know that, but where did the lyric come from?
And why did two totally different artists release it in two totally different songs in the same year?

SomeEvilDude
04-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Well I'm sure Derigib-whatshisname, will be happy to tell you that the reason the lyrics are similar is beacuse Led Zeppelin are dirty theives.

And in this case, whilst I do enjoy their music, I'm inclined to agree with him. LZ did steal a lot of riffs and lyrics, or 'borrow blues licks and lyrics' as some people say in defence, so it's certainly possible that they did take them.
Either that, or it's just purely coincidental, and nobody stole from anybody else. Either way.

dionysus85
04-18-2006, 07:03 AM
its VERY common in blues songs like said above
but across the universe by the beatles and echoes by pink floyd share "inviting and inciting" except the words are switched which is quite interesting

FreddieMercury
04-18-2006, 08:50 AM
led zeppelin probably didnt write one song completely on their own

TheHeartbreaker
04-18-2006, 04:47 PM
its VERY common in blues songs like said above
but across the universe by the beatles and echoes by pink floyd share "inviting and inciting" except the words are switched which is quite interesting

Couldn't agree with you more. There are MANY, MANY common blues lyrics that may be reused. Not always entirely, but common lines and referenes are used often.

"I know my Rider"

"Love Gun"

Things like these are commonly reused in blues songs. However, I brought up a similar discussion a few days ago in the Official Led Zeppelin Thread (where this probably should've gone, or, actually, been further discussed since it was already brought up), and someone said that the sun refusing to shine and mountains crumbling to the sea are two commonly used ideas in our world of some types of destruction. Both of these songs are about a man telling his woman of his love to her, and that no matter what happens, he will always love her.

Even though the Hendrix version of the song was released first (and more than likely written first) it does not mean Plant copied the lyrics. It could all be a coincidence, or maybe Plant did steal them, but nonetheless, both songs are great, and that should be all that matters.

dionysus85
04-18-2006, 08:50 PM
i read a book by alan lomax a few weeks ago, and he explains why some lyrics/phrases are used in lots of diffrent songs
when someone would hear a song they would usually play it themselves but they would change a few lyrics or make up entirely new verses and then say they wrote it
it was them interperating the song in their way and personalising it for their cercemstances (sp) but keeping maybe a few key lyrics like a hook or something.
so if you subscribe to that belief then you must agree with the credits of led zeppelin albums saying "written by jimmy page" :)

VoodooChild15
04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
I think they're both just pretty cliche ways to emphasize how strongly one feels about something, sort of like saying "I'll feel this way till pigs fly". The lines are used in completely different context in completely different songs. Plant may have nicked them, but the result can't really be called a seeing as they're not at all similar apart from their opening lines. Both songs are great, though.

ZoSoII_13
04-18-2006, 11:59 PM
FreddieMercury- Get Shot

I agree with TheHeartbreaker. Phrases are used alot, in part because some just appeal to the senses better. They are rather cliche, but I wouldnt acuse either of stealing from anyone.

ufossuck
04-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Who cares if one line from a Zeppelin song is the same as one line from another song? They stole entire songs!

PatrickJR
04-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice Observation man, I never would have figured it!