Are Single Coils OK for Punk?

PDA

View Full Version : Are Single Coils OK for Punk?

nosedivekarma
04-18-2006, 08:34 AM
I hear lots of people talking about the necessity for either humbuckers or P90s for getting a punk 'sound' (Ramones, Misfits, etc) but I really have my heart set on a boring old MIA Strat with single coil pickups. Am i deceiving myself? Should I just accept my fate and go with a HB or p90 set up?

im_atheist
04-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Ramones and Misfits are very different... SC for Ramones but HB for Misfits definately

Xeus
04-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Get a guitar with a coil tap :P

uterus
04-18-2006, 08:48 AM
maybe try a fat strat single-single-humbucker

robmarsden01
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
You can use any type of guitar for punk,really. Back in the 70's the old punk bands used anything they could get their hands on. Humbuckers do tend to work best with distortion, but i really like the bridge position of a strat with a little dirt added. Or you could get a single-sized humbucker like a SD Hotrails (thats what i do). Its not quite a full-blown humbucker sound, but it has more output, mids and attack than a single-coil, and it doesnt hum either

Salmonface
04-18-2006, 09:18 AM
i use a kazoo to get a good punk sound.

Blitzkreigbob
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I think punk sounds best with single coil,i have a fender strat and i play lots of ramones,clash,pistols,buzzcocks i find humbuckers are often to deep and baritone for 70's punk because i like a more "tinny"(sp?) messy sound not just a heap of heavy distortion.Strats are pretty versatile so you should be able to get the sound you want by playing around with the pickups and amp controls.

I agree with what im_ateist said,Misfits probably would be better with humbuckers

radio_schizo
04-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Single coils can give a really nice raw trebely tone. So yes they are good for punk.

JohnnyNapalm
04-18-2006, 10:30 AM
It's punk rock. All you need is a ****ty guitar, a ****ty bass, and a ****ty drumset and there ya go. It doesnt matter what you use, as long as it's fast, hard, and "**** you".

Yeah.

lavazza
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
It doesnīt matter with which guitar you smash your expensive Marschall Amp

but I use Humbucker cause I like the LesPaul-Form of the guitars but I donīt like Strats

But I think with mass distortion it doesnīt matter

hardrock1315
04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
You can only really use SC's for classic punk. Once you get past '77 style, you need HB's. Some '77 style punk needs HB's too.

Iluvpowerchords
04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I have a single coil strat copy. It's cheap, loud and awesome. In other words, it's perfect.

ScummerVacation
04-18-2006, 01:36 PM
You dont want to start a punk band anyhow, what you want to do, is start a Dick Dale cover band and then branch out onto your own in the world of "Surf Instrumental." In which case, single coil rocks.

nosedivekarma
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
You dont want to start a punk band anyhow, what you want to do, is start a Dick Dale cover band and then branch out onto your own in the world of "Surf Instrumental." In which case, single coil rocks.

You might just you've found my calling :cool:

chow7
04-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Single coils are definantly 'OK' for punk, joe strummer used a single coiled telecaster for pretty much his entire career

IlikeTheSKA
04-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, it all depends on what YOU prefer.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
04-19-2006, 01:09 AM

Smells like Agent Orage... *ahem!*

I have both Single Coils & Humbuckers, and if you're going for a 77 sound, or an Operation Ivy kind of sound, and an OK ska sound I'd go with a Strat.
If you're looking for a '77 sound with a GREAT ska tone, along with blues,twang, and some jazz I'd go with a Tele.
But if you're looking for a darker sort of tone like Minor Threat, and other Hardcore bands, along with bands like the Misfits, go with HBers.
And if you're looking for an all-around good guitar, find some Jazz Open-Body Electrics.

BrianApocalypse
04-19-2006, 09:40 AM
A lot of the great punk bands don't even use distortion. Brian James used clean tones!

Fuzz, in my sage opinion, is the way to go.

And you get better fuzz using single coils.

Gabel
04-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Well Johnny Ramone used a Mosrite with a Single Coil. Iggy Pop's guitarists (inculding Stooges) has used Teles and Strats. Joe Strummer used a Telecaster.

hardrock1315
04-19-2006, 01:46 PM
I would get the Fat Strat. You can split the bridge pickup into a SC, and you can just have it regular as an HB. So basically you get most of the Strat stuff plus a HB sound.

FenderStrat1337
04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
You could always get a single coil strat and fit it with a humbucker if you change your mind.

Thats what i did

clashcityrqcker
04-20-2006, 04:12 PM
I thought P90's were single coils?

newyorkdolls138
04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
i use a kazoo to get a good punk sound.
Of course.
Nothing else really works.

hardrock1315
04-21-2006, 12:17 AM
I thought P90's were single coils?

They are, but they're different than regular ones, they're like in between the two.

pinheadslts75
04-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Well let's look at stat's:

If you want a fuzzy, trebley tone like Ramones and Dead Kennedys, or anything before 77, you'll want single coils.

If you like a bass or midrange heavy sound or a hardcore sound like Black flag and the Misfits go for HB.

I use a single coiled telecaster with lots of Treble and mids with most of the bass cut off and the gain at about 4. For my S-S-H Ibanez I use lots of mids with bass and treble set to half.

ss311
04-23-2006, 04:33 AM
I get a good sound for all things punk with humbuckers. It lies in the amp settings I think. I use humbuckers for the Dead kennedys all the time. Full tone on the guitar and 7 on the amp. Works fine for the Ramones too.

The Sex Pistols used a Les Paul so I assume humbuckers are fine for their style of punk. I don't think it is that hard to get a punk sound. You should concentrate on moving your fingers and wrist in such a way that even an acoustic sounds punk. ANything with aggression and energy on your behalf will sound punk.

Pick It Up123
04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
yeah

Chrome Fiction
04-23-2006, 09:54 PM
i use a guitar with two sc and a hb... i can't stand palm muting without a hb, and punk tends to use a bit of that... then again, of course, punk started out with whatever crap the dude's could get their hands on. but i'd say use some form of a hb guitar...

the glue man
04-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Single coils don't have a very good heavy tone, HBs are way better for that.

I do like both a lot though.

But for punk, I'd go for a triangle. Nobody plays it, so that's how I'm a non-conformist.

BrianApocalypse
04-25-2006, 11:46 AM
^ I think it'd be funny to have a retard punk orchestra, with triangles and tambourines, and those african percussion scraper things (they have dents in and you run a stick over it) that sounds like a cut purring.

descendent1
04-26-2006, 02:48 AM
no, single coil guitars are not punk. you obviously have not read the punk rock rule book. people like you are a disgrace to punk. also, i hope youve never eaten ice cream, because that isnt punk either. you just ruined my night.

descendent1
04-26-2006, 02:50 AM
o and i read somewhere that johnny ramone used a single coil strat when recording the first ramones album, not his signature mosrite... whatever.

nosedivekarma
04-26-2006, 08:44 AM
no, single coil guitars are not punk. you obviously have not read the punk rock rule book. people like you are a disgrace to punk.

What a silly person you are.
:no:

misfitsdisciple
04-26-2006, 09:06 PM
no, single coil guitars are not punk. you obviously have not read the punk rock rule book. people like you are a disgrace to punk. also, i hope youve never eaten ice cream, because that isnt punk either. you just ruined my night.

and furthermore nobody who eats tacos are punk either. and if you go to school, not punk! by the way, wearing clothing isnt very punk either (-10 points if you are caught wearing any).

whyvern
04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
^ I think it'd be funny to have a retard punk orchestra, with triangles and tambourines, and those african percussion scraper things (they have dents in and you run a stick over it) that sounds like a cut purring.

We actually had one... it was called the Rocket City Memorial Youth Orchestra and Choir.

We set out with one mission, to make the most beautiful music that ANYONE could be a part of. We played about 2 shows and fell apart due to people in the band not getting along. But in those two shows we encourage lots of audience participation with our own auxillary percussion and encouraging group vocals with easy to sing choral parts (mostly la's with different harmonies that could easily be assigned). I employed songleading techniques that are mostly used in Summer camps to teach large groups of people songs and it worked pretty damn well I might say.

If we had been able to last longer I would've love to get more people across the world to start doing the same thing and maybe even start up a network one person could just go on tour and playing with a different "orchestra" each night.

It'd be badass!

Punk Rocker
04-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I lik esingle coil, it gives it the trebely sound, humbuckers are more of a deeper sound, no treally deep but i dunno ho wto explain it like fuller.

caesar_salad
04-29-2006, 04:20 PM

I say combine them...Example: JFA

somepunkkid
04-29-2006, 04:31 PM
It is possible to have the best of both worlds, which a lot of strats give you the ability to do. Id say go with a Fat Strat (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511002)