Stevie Ray Vaughan Vs. Jimi Hendrix.

PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Ray Vaughan Vs. Jimi Hendrix.

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I just want to know why some many people think that Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time! HIS NOT! Just because he was the first to do what he did and had a huge influence on people, does NOT change his overall guitar playing ablity. In fact I bet that there would be a number of people on this site thats guitar playing ablity would probably be better than JIMI HENDRIX! Getting to the point Stevie Ray Vaughan was influenced by Jimi Hendrix and has done a number of covers of Jimi's songs, which include Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Third Stone From The Sun and Little Wing, and I think that he's done all these songs better than Hendrix. I think that Stevie is a far better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix, and I want to know on guitar playing ablitly ALONE! Who you think is the better guitarist. (I know I'm gonna slaged like hell for ditchin Hendrix.) :confused:

yawn
04-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Fuck you man :mad:

It's not about technicality, it's about the inspiration that a listener can draw from hearing someone's music. And sorry, but Jimi Hendrix just happens to inspire people more than SRV.

And sorry (again), but creating a masterpiece of a song from scratch is much harder than just making an already existing song better.

And since when is musicianship a contest anyways?

JkHalen
04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
1) No Vs threads
2) Learn how to spell

There is simply no point to this thread. Everyone knows that Hendrix wouldn't even be included in the top 500 guitarists in the world if it went down ONLY to ability. But he is defenetly one of the greatest guitarist of all time. He revolutionized music with his riffs etc. Sure, SRV is a better guitarist in ability but Hendrix is by far a greater guitarist in influential and revolutionizing terms.

curtis loew
04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
i hate you super slinky pj

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=yawn]Fuck you man :mad:

It's not about technicality, it's about the inspiration that a listener can draw from hearing someone's music. And sorry, but Jimi Hendrix just happens to inspire people more than SRV.

And since when is musicianship a contest anyways?[/Q

I watched a Jimi Hendrix DVD (forget what it was, cos it was so crap!) And during Voodoo Chile is guitar was way way way out of tune! An it took him ages tune it, his solo's are carp aswell! How can anyone be inspired by that rubbish! Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page SRV are way better than Hendrix!

Drdez
04-18-2006, 03:03 PM
so what ur saying is that just because someone can play really fast, or, like stevie ray vaughan, play with a lot more feeling and can add crazy stuff, he can play better?

study history.

seriously, not kiddding. just look at all guitar players of the 40s, 50, 60s, 70s, 80s 90s and today and you'll see some crazy stuff.

jimi caused a huge eruption for gutar players, yes he inspired millions and that's a good enough reason for his greatness. but he really did change the genre a lot.

besides all that crap, he has awesome technique, especially for his time. yes there were great guitar players before him (where'd u think he got HIS inspiration?). but he plays differently than u and I. he has a whole different setup of the guitar.

for example, jimi wouldn't play a chord like normal guitar players, he would subsitute a chord with a phrase, such as a lick or a series of small chords and slides etc. He'd play with his thumb, behind his back, behind his head, flipped toward him, and with his teeth. and at the same time, sound really great.

another thing you should notice (just watch/listen to him play johnny b. goode live) is that he is a natural. it's like he knows the strings like the back of his hand. it really is inspiring. he's done wonders for guitarists. without him, there truly would be no stevie ray vaughan, satch, vai, malmsteen, morse, gilbert, petrucci, batio, romeo etc.

you owe him an apology. right now.

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:03 PM
1) No Vs threads
2) Learn how to spell

There is simply no point to this thread. Everyone knows that Hendrix wouldn't even be included in the top 500 guitarists in the world if it went down ONLY to ability. But he is defenetly one of the greatest guitarist of all time. He revolutionized music with his riffs etc. Sure, SRV is a better guitarist in ability but Hendrix is by far a greater guitarist in influential and revolutionizing terms.

STOP SAYING HIS THE GREATEST GUITARIST HIS NOT! JUST SAY THAT HE'S THE GUTARIST WITH THE GREATEST INFLUENCE! HE'S A **** GUTARIST! HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE HIS CRAP!

imburningstar4
04-18-2006, 03:06 PM
hendrix=greatness
when you go write something like voodoo child from scratch then you can talk

tjdjr09
04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=yawn]**** you man

And since when is musicianship a contest anyways?[/Q

sweet html skills

GreenXX
04-18-2006, 03:08 PM
SRV, cuz hendrix is too choppy he dosnt have the flow like Stevie

Super Slinky PJ
for example, jimi wouldn't play a chord like normal guitar players, he would subsitute a chord with a phrase, such as a lick or a series of small chords and slides etc. He'd play with his thumb, behind his back, behind his head, flipped toward him, and with his teeth. and at the same time, sound really great.

.[/QUOTE]

IT NEVER SOUNDED GREAT! AND HIS TUNING AND TIMING WAS CRAP ASWELL! He couldn't play fingerstlye properly, he couldn't play slide, he couldn't tune his guitar properly and used a lot of distortion to cover up the mistakes he made! HOW IS THAT GREAT!

ClaptonFan13
^(The Guy Who Said He Made a Gigantic Influence) you are a noob, he may have inspired five people to play guitar...but Dick Dale, who is a REAL GUITAR GOD was hendrix's main influence, that is why he played with an upside-down strat!

Eric Clapton is probably the biggest influence of that era, and no it's not because I'm a fanboy with my opinion, it's because HE WAS!!!

The Reason Hendrix didn't play chords is because he was soooo f**king high on acid he couldn't remeber his name!

I love hendrix, but he is not on the top 25 guitar players for musical skill.

And for the noob that said "WHEN IS MUSIC A COMPETITION?" Just because youre crappy green day cover band will never get signed because you have no skill or musical knowledge does not mean you have any say in this arguement.

I agree with the thread starter. Hendrix is one of my favorite guitarists, but he is THE SLOPPIEST GUITAR PLAYER OF THAT ERA!!!! Personally I think the best Guitar Players by skill and by musical knowledge are Leo Kottke, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eric Clapton

SWLABR
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey man, if you don't like his music, then just say that. But don't insult Jimi and the multitudes he's inspired by calling him a crap guitarist. That's just ignorant.

yawn
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Super_Slinky, you DO realize that music's inspiration is a subjective thing, right? Just because you don't find his music inspiring doesn't mean others don't.

SWLABR
04-18-2006, 03:14 PM
I was talking to Super Slinky PJ and if you've ever heard his album titled "Blues" you can't call him sloppy there.

marvelboy_04
reported.

R_H_C_P
It's all opinion, so starting a thread trying to prove your point won't work.

Super Slinky PJ
Super_Slinky, you DO realize that music's inspiration is a subjective thing, right? Just because you don't find his music inspiring doesn't mean others don't.

Look I just want to know how he inspired people! How did a guitarist that crap inspire people!

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:16 PM
I'll post it again...

^(The Guy Who Said He Made a Gigantic Influence) you are a noob, he may have inspired five people to play guitar...but Dick Dale, who is a REAL GUITAR GOD was hendrix's main influence, that is why he played with an upside-down strat!

Eric Clapton is probably the biggest influence of that era, and no it's not because I'm a fanboy with my opinion, it's because HE WAS!!!

The Reason Hendrix didn't play chords is because he was soooo f**king high on acid he couldn't remeber his name!

And for the noob that said "WHEN IS MUSIC A COMPETITION?" Just because youre crappy green day cover band will never get signed because you have no skill or musical knowledge does not mean you have any say in this arguement.

I agree with the thread starter. Hendrix is one of my favorite guitarists, but he is THE SLOPPIEST GUITAR PLAYER OF THAT ERA!!!! Personally I think the best Guitar Players by skill and by musical knowledge are Leo Kottke, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eric Clapton

SUPER SLINKY PJ, YOU ARE MY NEW HERO

Dr. No
04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Lol..without Jimi Hendrix, no SRV, your sir are an idiot.

flameheadfreak
04-18-2006, 03:19 PM
If SRV was still alive, he would find you and kick you in your face. I guess you don't understand that Jimi was SRV idol, and that should say a lot about him. I just think that if SRV heard people talking about the man he looked up to, he would force his feces in their mouth.

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Lol..without Jimi Hendrix, no SRV, your sir are an idiot.

No, I'm sorry you are retarded!

SRV was a BLUES player, a REAL BLUES player not a lets do acid and suck at blues player....

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I was talking to Super Slinky PJ and if you've ever heard his album titled "Blues" you can't call him sloppy there.

Fair enough maybe the album is good, but that's in a studio you can take as many takes as you want. Has anyone heard Jimi Hendrixs version of Come partII? The solos in that are terrible! There are completely messy and sloppy! SRV Does a version of that and its way way better! If you can listen to the two versions do and then compare them, then'll you see what I'm talking about.

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I'll post it again...

SUPER SLINKY PJ, YOU ARE MY NEW HERO

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:24 PM
If SRV was still alive, he would find you and kick you in your face. I guess you don't understand that Jimi was SRV idol, and that should say a lot about him. I just think that if SRV heard people talking about the man he looked up to, he would force his feces in their mouth.

SRV Vaughan had is own stlye (better than Hendrix), and I'm sure he doesn't look up to Hendrix they way some people on this site do! I think SRV would be freaked out by the people on this site who probaly druel over pictures of Hendrix!

Drdez
04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
you know, this may sound nerdy, but i study guitarists for fun. i read their bios and their influences.

one person who always turns up? jimi hendrix.

one person who barely turns up? clapton. (just saying lol)

and he played an upside down lefty strat because he couldn't afford a real one.

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
super Slinky Pj, You Are My New Hero

Drdez
04-18-2006, 03:27 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2312939338395045786&q=jimi+hendrix&pl=true

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
you know, this may sound nerdy, but i study guitarists for fun. i read their bios and their influences.

one person who always turns up? jimi hendrix.

one person who barely turns up? clapton. (just saying lol)

and he played an upside down lefty strat because he couldn't afford a real one.

F*CK YOU NOOB!

He played an upside down RIGHTY strat because Dick Dale did that but you and all your nerdy wisdom cannot see that and clapton is THE BEST GUITAR PLAYER ever and you and your "online research" can suck it a few hundred times

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2312939338395045786&q=jimi+hendrix&pl=true

Did he write that song retard? NO!

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
If I was to do top three list of the greatest guitarists of all time it would be as follows:

1: Jimmy Page
2: Eric Clapton
3: Stevie Ray Vaughan

yawn
04-18-2006, 03:31 PM
ClaptonFan13, you can stop kissing Super_Slinky's ass. What's with the need to call him your hero (three times, might I add) just because he thinks Hendrix was sloppy?

And no, for your information, I'm not in a Green Day cover band :rolleyes:

ClaptonFan13
Close...my list goes

1. Eric Clapton
2. Jimmy Page
3. SRV

SWLABR
And not to get off the subject, but from like '74 up to when he made "Tears in Heaven" Clapton's music was CRAP! I dig Clapton, especially his album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, that was amazing, but he kind of lost his bluesy edge after awhile. He left the Yardbirds because they were heading down a different road that was too "pop" and then he went off and recorded "I Shot ther Sheriff"! Just had to get that off my chest.

Go Jimi.

Drdez
04-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Did he write that song retard? NO!

hey i'm not i retard. and i'm jsut pointing out that he's playing clean, fresh, non-sloppy solos that sound fantastic. that'sall.

jessh leave me alone.

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm sure there other people on this site that think Jimi Hendrix was pure ****, but they don't have the balls to say! Eric Clapton13 is the only person yet whos had the balls to say Hendrix isn't that good! Eric Calpton13 ROCK ON!

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Im not kissin his ass, you are just the reson the world is going to end, so I might aswell make a strong agreement with someone with commmon sense

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Super Slinky, me and you are starting the Hendrix is Overrated Club, put it in your sig

Harmonius
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
I just want to know why some many people think that Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time! HIS NOT! Just because he was the first to do what he did and had a huge influence on people, does NOT change his overall guitar playing ablity. In fact I bet that there would be a number of people on this site thats guitar playing ablity would probably be better than JIMI HENDRIX! Getting to the point Stevie Ray Vaughan was influenced by Jimi Hendrix and has done a number of covers of Jimi's songs, which include Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Third Stone From The Sun and Little Wing, and I think that he's done all these songs better than Hendrix. I think that Stevie is a far better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix, and I want to know on guitar playing ablitly ALONE! Who you think is the better guitarist. (I know I'm gonna slaged like hell for ditchin Hendrix.) :confused:

On behalf of UG, shut up you phallis

(plural intended)

yawn
04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Im not kissin his ass, you are just the reson the world is going to end, so I might aswell make a strong agreement with someone with commmon sense
...I'm the reason the world is going to end...?

Dude, lay off the acid ;)

Drdez
oh and for the record i love clapton. "layla" was my second song i learned (the first riff lol).

and SRV too, my tutor got me into him and we studied his music and influences for about 3 weeks and learned some of his creative licks. awesome guitarist, may he r.i.p.

wil
For Gods sake-

-' He didnt play chords because he was too ****ed up?'
- You are half right, he didnt know all that much theory but the stuff he played is a HELL of a lot harder than straight chords--If you retards dont believe me, go away and learn Castles Made of Sand and his Woodtsock IMPROVISTAION(!) and see how 'bad' he was at playing chords.

-He copied Dick Dale with an upside down guitar?
-No you morons, Hendrix was left handed.

-Stevie Ray Vaughan took just a many drugs as Hendrix, so did Clapton and ive seen performances by SRV and Clapton where they are 'sloppy' as hell...

-Hendrix copied Dick Dale?
-Im sorry, I think Dick Dale is a genuis but i cannot seE ANY connection between them--Dick Dale plays traditional greek(?) folk tunes in the surf style at lightning speed--for the day anyway--tremelo picking---Whats that got to do with Hendrix??

--Listen to the Star Spangled Banner you noobs, thats twenty years before Satriani and Vai's locking tremed whamy bar stuff--NO-ONE can make noise that like, not even these days.

-SRV's covers of Hendrix tunes--despite the obvious technical superiority---are IMO, soulless.

--Eric Johnson owns SRV ten times over yet no-one seems to have a bad word to say about the 'legendary' bluesman.

And as for Hendrix being a 'carp gutarist'--as the threadstarter revealingly commented--- :no: :no:

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
hendrix=greatness
when you go write something like voodoo child from scratch then you can talk

Jimi Hendrix composed Voodoo Child from A JAM SESSION, IT'S PURE LUCK THAT HE CAME ABOUT THE RIFF! And lets face it the lyrics are rubbish!

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Seriously though, Hendrix's biography on a bunch of websites and books and TV talks about how Dick Dale inspired him to want to play guitar. and That is why he uses an upside down strat...because Dick Dale did, except dick Dale didn't restring his. Jimi loved the sound of Dale and so do I. EVH said his main influence was Eric Clapton, but he doesn't sound anything like him.

And the reson nobody has said anything bad about SRV is because there is nothing bad about him...noob

Harmonius
04-18-2006, 03:42 PM
btw, SRV's cover is called Voodoo Chile. You're not as big a fan of SRV as you try to be, which means you're just another pretentious twat.

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:45 PM
btw, SRV's cover is called Voodoo Chile. You're not as big a fan of SRV as you try to be, which means you're just another pretentious twat.

You are a noob, Voodoo Chile is a 10 minute blues song of of his blues album...have you acually listened to SRV's cover it is VOODOO CHILD!!!

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:46 PM

WHAT! I'm not a fan because I missplaced one letter? I don't listen to that song much anyway! And people who aren't complete retards would know what I was talking about!

ClaptonFan13
04-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Slinky I answered the noob^

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Well , I know I'm joining 'The Hendrix Is Overated Club'

sirpsycho85
04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Jimi Hendrix composed Voodoo Child from A JAM SESSION, IT'S PURE LUCK THAT HE CAME ABOUT THE RIFF! And lets face the lyrics are rubbish!

i thought i would respond to your previous ignorant comment but i'll instead respond to the most recent one. you are telling he that because his riff came out of a jam session that somehow takes away from it? what the hell are you talking about? if he can improvise something that is good enough to make a riff for a song, good for him. you are quite welcome to believe SRV is better than hendrix, in some regards like smoothness he is (i disagree that he is overall better) but to say hendrix is a bad guitarist is absurd. the bottom line is not what some people call emotion or what you call skill, but the music he made with the guitar. it's damn good. that's it, that means he's a good guitarist. go to some other forum and listen to some users' sloppy shred or lame blues and then take back your assanine comment about people here being better guitarists.

SWLABR
04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
A little clarification for this meaningless argument- "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" is the song with the wah intro that everyone knows so well that Jimi had on Electric Ladyland. It was covered by SRV as "Voodoo CHILE (Slight Return)" on Couldn't Stand the Weather. "Voodoo Chile" is a bluesier song by Jimi also done on Electric Ladyland AND his Blues album.

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Seriously. Whatever about Stevie Ray Vaughan, you cannot say Hendrix was better than Page and Clapton.

rocknroll blues
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
My favorite part about this thread is how these two honkies are just choosing to ignore Wil's complete pwnage.

ClaptonFan13, stop calling everyone a noob.

Super Slinky PJ, learn to spell and then we might take you seriously.

Oh yea, and --reported--.

Guitar_Joe
04-18-2006, 04:03 PM
righto erm, firstly super slinky fine if you dont like hendrix good for you but why you going on some 3 page long rant about it, all i know is that he inspired me greatly, and he is revered as great by many of those you put above him, he played the guitar upside down cos he was left handed, and super slinky and clapton 13 get a room bloody hell honestly

sirpsycho85
04-18-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7504172/the_legend_of_jimi_hendrix

claptons reaction to hendrix.

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
righto erm, firstly super slinky fine if you dont like hendrix good for you but why you going on some 3 page long rant about it, all i know is that he inspired me greatly, and he is revered as great by many of those you put above him, he played the guitar upside down cos he was left handed, and super slinky and clapton 13 get a room bloody hell honestly

The only reason I've gone on a three page rant about why I think Hendrix is a middle of the road guitarist, is because some many people have gone on a three page rant on how good he is! When he's not that good at all!

marvelboy_04
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
hello, reported

Super Slinky PJ
04-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Right I'm logging out I'm never gonna get my message through to these Jimi Hendrix AIRHEADS!

"Peace, Love, Happiness and all that ****"-Jimi Hendrix
Drops the guitar and walks off-stage.

One final note:
If Jimi Hendrix were alive now would he himself think he was the greatest guitarists ever?

Rock On!

will1990
04-18-2006, 04:17 PM
fuc k you man lets so you go into some sort of orgasmic trance while playing guitar

will1990
04-18-2006, 04:25 PM
on a final note-he would ****in schooled ur panzie ass n e day YEAH FAGGET

TheHeartbreaker
04-18-2006, 04:31 PM
I find that Super SlinkyPJ and ClaptonFan13 are possibly the stupidest dumb****s I've seen in this forum.

You guys have been saying this practically the WHOLE ****ing time...

Stevie Ray Vaughan = Blues

Jimi Hendrix = Rock and Roll

Even though Jimi did some blues and SRV did some Hendrix rock and roll covers, the two pretty much play two COMPLETELY different genres. HOW THE **** can you compare the two directly? Though they do sound, in some regards, similar, and SRV took a lot of inspiration from Hendrix (another thing you've been told, yet refuse to note), yet they are not the same player in any way.

That's another thing that should be taken into consideration: They are different people. Both of them gave us great music, and that's all that should matter. This competition you have going between them is utter bull****.

FadingRoots
04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Hendrix DOESN'T deserve the reputation he has as the BEST guitarist... but that doesn't mean he isn't good. He DOES deserve a reputation as the most INFLUENTIAL guitarist, however. Any other argument, really, would be biased and untrue, as far as I can see.

TheHeartbreaker
04-18-2006, 05:28 PM
EVERYONE whose said he "DOESN'T deserve the reputation he has as the BEST guitarist" is being biased because, obviously, they like someone else better.

However, more than likely, someone is going to say the person you think is the best guitarist doesn't deserve that reputation either. NO ONE is the greatest guitarist, because everyone has different opinions. No one's opinion is wrong in any way, and so if somebody thinks Hendrix is better than Stevie, okay. If someone thinks Steive is better than Hendrix, okay. If someone thinks Billie Joe Armstrong is better than Stevie and Hendrix, they're wrong ( ;) ).

But do you guys get what I'm saying? This is why there's no "VS" threads. I'm surprised this hasn't been closed yet. Still, I'm glad to get my points in.

Antroid
04-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Jimi Hendrix BIG FAT FULL SSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

I hate SRV everyone i meat says he's a better guitarist but the thing they dont think about is that SRV didnt write the songs, he probably couldnt come up with such classics....could he? lol

rayIII
04-18-2006, 06:20 PM
they both pwn

so I vote:

- hendrix better song writer
- SRV better guitar player

neither i vote as the best in their category