Minor Threat Anyone

PDA

View Full Version : Minor Threat Anyone

minorthreat123
04-18-2006, 09:28 PM
One of my favortite bands, they kick ass.

somepunkkid
04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
I could have sworn there was another thread on them recently... im imagining things

Yeah they're good

</usless post>

opivy21
04-18-2006, 09:53 PM
No thanks.

I used to like them also, but I learned that Ian was a jerk and in it for the wrong reasons. He hurt the D.C. scene pretty bad. Also, he started straight edge, which didn't begin negatively, but some of the kids who heard about it became militant and closed-minded (definitely doesn't refer to all straight-edgers).

So, I haven't listened to them in a while.

somepunkkid
04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
^ i had never heard that, then again i dont know much about the band. Amazing how much you learn on UG (maybe thats why its so addicting). So by straight edge im assuming you mean like Anti Alcohol and drugs? Like what did he do to start that?

opivy21
04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
^ He wrote Straight Edge.

somepunkkid
04-18-2006, 10:12 PM
wait what? now im confused?

opivy21
04-18-2006, 10:30 PM
He wrote a song called Straight Edge. There's another song called Out of Step With the World (could be something else, I'm not sure) that says, "I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't ****," blah blah blah.

So you get the idea, and there's lots of stuff on the internet about it.

the glue man
04-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I use to like them, they got kinda boring. I stopped listening to them before I learned he was a dick and all that. But I still like Fugazi, Minor Threat is just pretty boring though.

Gomorrah
04-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Hardcore.

Amazing band.

hardrock1315
04-18-2006, 11:20 PM
They're pretty good. Not the greatest, but they're still fun to listen to.

bloodstained
04-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks to Nemo and Mach Baron we have half this forum re-wording everything they say.

Yay to ignorance.

Prince
04-18-2006, 11:43 PM
i love hardcore, but minor threat just doesn't do it for me.

i would rather listen to NOFX and thats saying a lot

somepunkkid
04-19-2006, 12:16 AM
He wrote a song called Straight Edge. There's another song called Out of Step With the World (could be something else, I'm not sure) that says, "I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't ****," blah blah blah.

So you get the idea, and there's lots of stuff on the internet about it.

hmm yeah where i live we know those kids as pussies. Not because they dont drink or smoke, we them pussies cuz they think they are cool because they dont drink or smoke. But anyways i had never heard that before thanks for the info

Leftover_Crack
04-19-2006, 12:37 AM
So basically you guys don't hate them for their music, you hate them for Ian Mackaye? Well unlike everyone else on this forum I don't follow whatever johnnynemo says like its the law. I like them and listen to them often.

China Groove
04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Aww dont even get me started, Ian Mackaye is a ****ing tight dude, ive met him a couple times in DC and down here in houston.. anyways quite possibly my favorite band..i even have a minor threat tattoo

if i can figure out how my sisters f*cking camera works ill try and post a picture of it or something

ScummerVacation
04-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Nay

LastCaress88
04-19-2006, 12:58 AM
good band,i like them.

I'm not straight-edge,but i respect the straight-edge thing they have.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
04-19-2006, 01:01 AM
I don't have anything against Minor Threat.
But there's something that get's me.
It's not Minor Threat's music (Some of the phrasing in the songs is great!).
It's not Ian Mackaye (Even though it's very easy, and fun to joke about him).

But it's what the lyrics in the songs have done to my friends, and other people.
I find that weak minded (usually adolescents) people who find Minor Threat follow the hypocritical bull**** in the lyrics and treat Minor Threat's music like it's some sort of god send, and defend the lifestyle choices that the lyrics promote with a close-minded approach. So it's nothing against the band, it's just... the fans.
(See also: Tool, a perfect circle, Metallica)
(But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's every fan, it's just the people who take these sorts of things too seriously, and forget that there's more out there, in life and in everything else.)

bloodstained
04-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Basically, so many people can argue Minor Threat's status, but they were a key band in the history of hardcore. You can argue...but you can't deny history.

Prince
04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Basically, so many people can argue Minor Threat's status, but they were a key band in the history of hardcore. You can argue...but you can't deny history.
that doesn't mean that their music doesnt suck..... a lot.

whyvern
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I like a couple of the songs... Fugazi, Embrace and the Evens (especially the Evens) are a million times more interesting than Minor Threat... of course I bet they kicked some **** live.

bloodstained
04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
that doesn't mean that their music doesnt suck..... a lot.

opinion anyone???

Prince
04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
opinion anyone???

exactly
stop complaining that people dont like them

Gomorrah
04-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I like a couple of the songs... Fugazi, Embrace and the Evens (especially the Evens) are a million times more interesting than Minor Threat... of course I bet they kicked some **** live.

What about Teen Idles?

JohnnyNapalm
04-20-2006, 12:06 AM
I used to like them a lot more than I do now.

bloodstained
04-20-2006, 12:46 AM
exactly
stop complaining that people dont like them

I'm not complaining, just everyone in here, basically will agree with Nemo and Baron on any matter including or referencing Ian Mackaye?s name in it, cause apparently they came from the same area and the same era. I don't care if you don't like Minor Threat, I don't like them either. They are a part of punk history, like it or not, you can't change the past, anyone trying to sway someone?s perception on the bands take in hardcore is arrogant. Many people will agree that Mackaye was an ass, many people won't.

capsfan17
04-20-2006, 12:50 AM
meh, Im not well enough learnt on Ian Mackaye to make any judgements. I used to be really into their music, but I kinda got burnt out on it, I find it repetitive a lot of the time. They do have a few decent songs though.

misfitsdisciple
04-20-2006, 08:28 PM
who the **** cares if he was an asshole, its music and if you like the music, you dont really have to like one person in the band...

thats like me saying, man ROBO from black flag was the biggest douche bag ever, now i hate black flag because of robo.

truth is, i love black flag, and i dont know if robo was a douche bag or not, its just an example. but Minor Threat is a quality band IMO.

glm
05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Just started listening to them, I orgasm everytime I listen to them.

Lexicon Devil
05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Minor Threat makes me want to break things...

captain_jack
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I just recently started listening to them and I like them a lot. I'm not straight edge or anything but I think the songs that are anti alcohol, drugs and one night stands do make some good points. and yeah, they make me want to break things too. :)

TheAdict310
05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Their lack of any melody makes me want to break things.

They have a few good songs though.

RizzoWashburn
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Minor Threat is awesome. It's kinda annoying how you get stereotyped for listening to them. I'll wear a Minor Threat shirt and people will come up to me and say "Are you sXe?" and I say "**** NO!" and they say "Then why do you listen to Minor Threat?" and then I say "Cause they're ****ing awesome!" and they say "Oh." and I say "Yeah."

Yeah.

ParticleManTMBG
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
They are sweet I have most of their songs.

asbestospie
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Minor Threat makes me want to break things...ahaha!! Are you me when I was 13 by any chance?

anyways...
There's so much silliness surronding minor threat and their fans. I guess I am a "fan", but... First off, if Ian Mackaye was a dick, well that's unfortunate but it's not going to stop me from listening to the music. Second, straight edge kids who think their way is the only way and impose their beliefs on others need a kick in the teeth. I think people take some of the lyrics WAY too literally. In my opinion, songs like straight edge and out of step have pretty good points, but that doesn't mean you have to worship every word. But those who aren't straight edge should just lay off and not call the kids who don't want to do drugs pussies. It's all about choice. People need to lighten up.

M3LL0NC0LL13
06-01-2007, 01:07 AM
I really like them, even though they're a little preachy on the whole straight edge thing.

Lexicon Devil
06-01-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but Minor Threat is just one of those bands that get you pumped, I don't even care about Ian MacKaye and his drama...

And I'm not 13 or straight-edge :peace:

johnnynemo
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
F*%$ing servers.
See below.

johnnynemo
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not complaining, just everyone in here, basically will agree with Nemo and Baron on any matter including or referencing Ian Mackaye?s name in it, cause apparently they came from the same area and the same era. I don't care if you don't like Minor Threat, I don't like them either. They are a part of punk history, like it or not, you can't change the past, anyone trying to sway someone?s perception on the bands take in hardcore is arrogant. Many people will agree that Mackaye was an ass, many people won't.

Buttstains is back and he's still a lil crybaby, who doesn't know sh*t.

First of all, plaenty of people here disagree with me about a multitude of things.
When I debate someone on a point, I am able to back up my points with actual facts.

You don't have those facts because YOU WEREN'T THERE and you're so dumb that you make the banjo boy in "Deliverance" look like Einstein.

Minor Threat is a band that I saw live (actually I stood outside whilre they played, because they suck live AND in the studio) and you read about in a book.
Why would anyone listen to you, when you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about?

Mach Baron was/is on Dischord Records, so what he said about Ian is from personal knowledge.
What you say is from mindless hero worship, which is what hardcore fans do, because they're stupid.

Mach was incredible in Government Issue and he should be the one people admire, not Ian MacCash.
Remember how GI were live?
Oh, that's right....you weren't even born when they were playing, loser.

And for the millionth f*cking time.......Minor Threat is NOT PUNK, they are Hardcore.
They went way out of their way to show the difference by screaming and making sh*tty metal.
There is a hardcore forum where you could post all about how you want to hump Ian MacKaye's leg, but instead you come here and cry, because you're a bedwetting little b*tch.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Minor Threat?
More like MAJOR SUCK

indestructible8
06-01-2007, 02:35 PM
owned

TheAdict310
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM

First of all, plaenty of people here disagree with me about a multitude of things.
When I debate someone on a point, I am able to back up my points with actual facts.

You don't have those facts because YOU WEREN'T THERE and you're so dumb that you make the banjo boy in "Deliverance" look like Einstein.

Minor Threat is a band that I saw live (actually I stood outside whilre they played, because they suck live AND in the studio) and you read about in a book.
Why would anyone listen to you, when you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about?

Mach Baron was/is on Dischord Records, so what he said about Ian is from personal knowledge.
What you say is from mindless hero worship, which is what hardcore fans do, because they're stupid.

Mach was incredible in Government Issue and he should be the one people admire, not Ian MacCash.

And for the millionth f*cking time.......Minor Threat is NOT PUNK, they are Hardcore.
They went way out of their way to show the difference by screaming and making sh*tty metal.
There is a hardcore forum where you could post all about how you want to hump Ian MacKaye's leg, but instead you come here and cry, because you're a bedwetting little b*tch.

What's Mach's real name?

hardrock1315
06-01-2007, 04:42 PM
What's Mach's real name?

John Stabb.

johnnynemo
06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I really miss ole Machie.

I keep wondering if Ian somehow found out about all the sh*t that Mach/Stabb was talking and threatened to withhold royalty checks if he didn't keep quiet about what he knew.

God knows Ian LOVES to powertrip.
He did it once to Jello, when DK played D.C.

Ian stopped Jello from getting too rowdy, and said, in his own words "This is MY town. You're not gonna start a riot here. You're not gonna ruin MY scene."

pinheadslts75
06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Woah, Nemo, are you actually defendeing Jello?

Anyway, Minor Threat makes ****ty music. /nuff said.

johnnynemo
06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
My only beef with Jello is the ripoff thang.

He really helped keep Hardcore from becoming totally right wing and fascist in the 80s.

MX4Life
06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Frankly, they were a great band for getting messages across, but damn, I have to say, they sounded like pure ****.

Teeth2483
06-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Minor Threat is awesome. It's kinda annoying how you get stereotyped for listening to them. I'll wear a Minor Threat shirt and people will come up to me and say "Are you sXe?" and I say "**** NO!" and they say "Then why do you listen to Minor Threat?" and then I say "Cause they're ****ing awesome!" and they say "Oh." and I say "Yeah."

Yeah.

Yeah man, I had some dude ask me if I was edge because I liked Minor Threat, then told me I had no right listening to them if I wasn't. Pretty hilarious really. Ian never meant for straight edge to go in this direction.

I love Minor Threat though, great band.

zekk
06-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Some of the stuff is okay, but I don't really like it. and Ian is a dick. Fugazi is pretty good though.

TN_BOOTBOY
06-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't have anything against Minor Threat.
But there's something that get's me.
It's not Minor Threat's music (Some of the phrasing in the songs is great!).
It's not Ian Mackaye (Even though it's very easy, and fun to joke about him).

But it's what the lyrics in the songs have done to my friends, and other people.
I find that weak minded (usually adolescents) people who find Minor Threat follow the hypocritical bull**** in the lyrics and treat Minor Threat's music like it's some sort of god send, and defend the lifestyle choices that the lyrics promote with a close-minded approach. So it's nothing against the band, it's just... the fans.
(See also: Tool, a perfect circle, Metallica)
(But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's every fan, it's just the people who take these sorts of things too seriously, and forget that there's more out there, in life and in everything else.)
This could be said about any band's music and lyrics though. whether it be HC, Punk Rap, Metal, whatever. The problem with the extreme straight edge fans of Minor Threat, is that they forget one important thing. Respect for other people's thoughts and beliefs.

Me personally, I love the band. Have met Ian twice, and once he was a dick, and the second, he was pretty cool. But I can see where he could get frustrated and jaded when you see the scene you are a part of slowly changing into something different than what it started out being. People get older and their outlooks on things change sometimes. Sometimes they just get burnt out and bored with what they are doing, so they change. But I doubt that Ian single handedly killed the DC scene. He just did something different. The death of Minor Threat definately didn't kill the DC scene any more than the death of old bands here in Nashville didn't kill the Nashville scene. It just evolved as people grew older and a younger crowd came in every three or four yrs.

johnnynemo
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
QUOTE=TN_BOOTBOY But I doubt that Ian single handedly killed the DC scene. He just did something different.

Nice theory.
Too bad you weren't in D.C., so you don't know what you're talking about.

Ian did have alot of his rich a$$hole friends that helped him kill the DC scene.
Here's how he did it.

First there's this flyer.

The Slickee Boys had a huge following, because they were on the 30 Seconds Over DC comp. They were nice enough to allow Ian and Hank's bands to open for them.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9306/slickeeit2.jpg

Ian repaid that kidness by NEVER PLAYING ANOTHER SHOW WITH THEM.
Ya see....Ian TOOK OVER DOING ALL THE BOOKINGS at the Sunday all-ages shows at the 930 club (which was THE punk club in DC). His lil buddies booked other places, like The Embassy, so pretty soon.....if you weren't on Ian's label, or weren't his friend, you didn't get a show in DC.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/794/noslickeeqf0.jpg

So, Ian becomes "Lord Of The Flies" (or "Queen of the Scene") and starts a Stalinistic purge of anyone he doesn't like.

http://www.30underdc.com/bands/minorthreat/minort_tg15.html

TV: Compare the DC scene now with a year ago...

IAN: OK July, 1980 right...You had TEEN IDLES, THE UNTOUCHABLES, and THE BAD BRAINS--BLACK MARKET BABY were just starting to make it at that point. A few young punks who we'd see once in a while--the Georgetown punk thing was in full swing--you had shows in bars in GT--places that would do it once and then shut down--with maybe 25 or 30 punks and maybe 30 or 40 other people at the most--We(Teen Idles)played fast as ****-totally noise--not like bullsh*t noise--but songs with a really rough edge...THE UNTOUCHABLES...like Alec was just crazy--he did the wildest **** you could imagine--he was doing stage dives and ****ing himself up--All of this was happening like before we'd heard any of the LA stuff--both bands were playing that way--like the first band we heard from LA was BLACK FLAG and I thought this is really great--a little slow but really great--The CIRCLE JERKS we saw when we were out west--they were too polished and they were assholes--they weren't willing to go the route like getting their hair cut--you know people say like cutting your hair is like posing--well bull****, that's conviction--you shave your head and there's no room for vanity.

TV: Your vocal style is like--

IAN: I don't copy anyone--the ADOLESCENTS and all of that sound like Darby Crash--all the LA bands sound the same to me now with the exception of BLACK FLAG--certainly the best band out there...seems like people would copy them...We don't sound like anybody--thank god for that--we're just MINOR THREAT...

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~cch223/usa/info/minorthreat_WGPinter.html

WGP: Is there a difference between punk and hardcore?

Ian: "Punk" became a really broad label, like "rock n roll". When we first started out, we wanted to be different.

Jeff: Different from Richard Hell, The Exploited. **** like that.

Do you see what he's (they're) saying?!?
Punk is dead and you're only cool, if you're a skinhead playing crappy thrashy hardcore.

TN_BOOTBOY
06-05-2007, 05:04 AM
I would agree that punk became a broad label like Rock N Roll. There were alot of different sounds by the time he said that. And as far as his shave your head statement, He says that by doing that, you have no vanity. Not that your a skinhead. AS far as the booking shows, ect, all anyone has to do is get off their ass and do it themselves. Not sit around and cry that Ian won't let us play on his shows. Sounds like the DC scene let Ian herd them around like the sheep he talks about. I know the guy isn't perfect. No one is. And my main complaint about him is that he was always really self righteous(spl?). But For me growin up when I did, Minor Threat was a breath of fresh air. Just like alot of other bands out there. When it boils down to it, almost everyone who was in the middle of American Punk and HC in the early 80's complained about things not bein what it was and that it was all dead and that the bands should just quit. But you still see most of those bands still touring, still tryin to pay the bills playing the songs that they were doing 20 yrs ago.

I give props to people like Ian and Henry Rollins for moving on and doing something different. And anyone else that did the exact same thing. You're on a crusade Johnny, so I can't change your mind on it. But when it boils down to it, he's a man doin what he loves to do and voicing his opinions and beliefs like everyone has the right to do. Just like you have the right to voice your opinions about the man. And anyone else has the right to voice anything the fell is positive about him.

radio_schizo
06-05-2007, 06:11 AM
I think Minor Threat are alright. Apart from the awful lyrics they are a decent hardcore band.

But compared to other HC bands from the same era like Void, Bad Brains, Black Flag, early-Meat Puppets, early-Husker Du, Circle Jerks etc. they are pretty sub-par.

I like the Salad Days EP alot, but I find most of their music gets old after a while and Ian seems to take himself and the whole sXe malarkey way too seriously. I hate it when bands get so so full on and preachy.
That's the main downfall of hardcore as a genre, especially nowdays, hxc bands focus so much on being tough and macho that they can't seem to laugh at themselves.

I must admit from the interviews I have read/watched Ian seems like a bit of a twat, but to be honest that's not a reason to never listen to them. Most bands have at least one arsehole anyway...(usually the singer!) :peace:

CowsWithGuns
06-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I enjoy Minor Threat. I only listen to them once in a while. I've got no love for Ian Mackaye though.

It seems that whenever I wear my Minor Threat t-shirt on my campus someone I don't know will do something to get my attention to point out that they also like Minor Threat or are also wearing a Minor Threat shirt and then continue on their merry way. One person went so far as to jump up and down...while saying "Minor Threat! Hey! Minor Threat!" loudly...in a library. It's annoying.

TN_BOOTBOY
06-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Same thing with Black Flag t shirts. I saw some guy that looked like they were the only punk band he had ever heard and the shirt looked like it'd been worn maybe twice in Taco Bell the other day. Cool that he likes them if he genuinely does, but I used to get metal heads stop me walkin down the street talkin about how badass they were. So some metal heads have taste.

mike2
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
god....i loathe taco bell

StreetLight3989
06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Minor Threat are ok, but I like Fugazi better.

ss311
06-06-2007, 12:17 AM

But it must be said that mach baron said on here that Minor Threat were intense live. He had seemed to like their live performance, or at least respect it.

captain_jack
06-06-2007, 12:32 AM
I give props to people like Ian and Henry Rollins for moving on and doing something different. And anyone else that did the exact same thing. You're on a crusade Johnny, so I can't change your mind on it. But when it boils down to it, he's a man doin what he loves to do and voicing his opinions and beliefs like everyone has the right to do. Just like you have the right to voice your opinions about the man. And anyone else has the right to voice anything the fell is positive about him.

+548461513568496841513516354846958465

rush4life
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I like Minor Threat, but it gets a tad repetitive after awhile. Also, for a guy who is so adamant about Ian being an asshole, johnnynemo sure comes off as an even bigger one for being so caught up about somebody else's actions and life. Who cares what he's like, are you trying to convert people or something? Just let it be man. If you think someone is wrong or an idiot, who cares. Just let them think that and move on with your life. It's only music you know.