Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow

PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow

Pages : [1] 2

Master Shake
04-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Deep Purple threads always pop up now and again, but to me this is Ritchies superior band. Don't get me wrong I like Deep Purple but comapered to Rainbow they just arn't that good. So I was wondering what you all thought of such an underrated band and of course such a skilled guitarist. I personally like the Dio years from the 70's; some great songs surfaced in that era like the almighty Satrgazer and Gates of Babylon. From such an unsteady line up these guys did some great things together. So what do you guys think :D

Long Live Rock n' Roll!

omega5
04-18-2006, 09:49 PM
i love Rainbow and I hope those DVDs that are set for release this year in Japan also get a USA release. The Dio years were the best along with some of Joe Lynn Turners songs and Ariel from the last Rainbow album.

«ÃFireÏnside»
04-18-2006, 09:55 PM
I know last time there was a Rainbow thread you, me and I think 2 others were basically the only ones that commented...it's a shame, unbelievable band. One of the most underrated bands ever.

Master Shake
04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I know last time there was a Rainbow thread you, me and I think 2 others were basically the only ones that commented...it's a shame, unbelievable band. One of the most underrated bands ever.

Yeah thats true, it is a shame. I can only try and spread them. The main problem is that most people have never heard of them.

JackWhite1988
04-19-2006, 09:19 AM

I was the other guy. haha.

Rainbow is a great hard rock band. Anything Blackmore is worth listening to. I feel proud to be one of the few to actually know alot about Blackmore.

thecool
04-19-2006, 03:54 PM
I've always had a special place for Rainbow. One of the best hard rock acts from the late 70's. I'm not sure i'd agree with you on the deep purple part though, I think I'd rank them about even. Amazing band!

distilledspirit
04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Rainbow is awesome. I have the cd with Man on Silver Mt, haven't picked it up in about a year and I regret it.

«ÃFireÏnside»
04-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I was the other guy. haha.

Rainbow is a great hard rock band. Anything Blackmore is worth listening to. I feel proud to be one of the few to actually know alot about Blackmore.

I thought so but I wasn't positive

I honestly think Rising is one of the best covers on any album in history.

Master Shake
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
^ I think Dane55 might of posted a bit as well.

I agree with you on the cover, it is very powerful and certainly captures the spirit of the album.

I'm reading 'Rainbow English Castle Magic' at the moment and Tony said 'it sucks' Dio didn't seem to impressed with it either, he didn't like his work on A Light in the Black (he prefers the first album) I think Tony got what he deserved anyway while recording LLRnR, LA Connection is written about him.

Danne55
04-23-2006, 12:57 PM
^^ Thank you very much Master Shake, I believe I did post a lot ;)
I guess it's gonna be me and uou and ÄFireInside which will be the only posters in this thread too.... SHAME ON YOU OTHERS :p:

The Rising cover is powerful indeed. And the greatest (probably...) album ever deserves a powerful cover

EDIT:
<--- nice pic ehh :p:

TheHeartbreaker
04-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Rainbow is an awesome band. I definetly haven't heard enough of their stuff, though, because I don't own any of their albums. What's I have heard has been stuff from the radio or that my friends have.

Blackmore is an awesome guitarist, but I'm a bigger fan of him in Deep Purple than I am in Rainbow.

«ÃFireÏnside»
04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
^^ Thank you very much Master Shake, I believe I did post a lot ;)
I guess it's gonna be me and uou and ÄFireInside which will be the only posters in this thread too.... SHAME ON YOU OTHERS :p:

The Rising cover is powerful indeed. And the greatest (probably...) album ever deserves a powerful cover

EDIT:
<--- nice pic ehh :p:

Too bad the avatar size is too small to really see it, but amazing cover it is.

JackWhite1988
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure my guitar playing as far as creativity would not have been as deep without Blackmore. I probably wouldn't even be playing guitar if it weren't for Ritchie Blackmore.

Favorite Rainbow album 70's: Rainbow Rising
Favorite Rainbow album 80's: Difficult to Cure or Straight Between the Eyes
Deep Purple Album: Fireball
Non-Mark II album: Burn or Book of Taliesyan

TwistedLogic
04-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Hey Guys;
Nice to chat with ya again. Love Rainbow. Ritchie Blackmore is one of the main reasons I picked up the guitar. A brilliant, beautiful and effortless player. Why is Rainbow underrated? Good guestion since Blackmore and songs like Stargazer have been sited as influences by people like Rhoads and Malmsteen. It might be related to the band member changes. The Dio years ( the best in my mind) only lasted like 3 maybe four years, after which the band shifted from being a heavy / prog rock band to trying to be more radio friendly. Personally ( a person who is 39 years old and lived these years in his teens) I was distressed by the change of musical direction and this change might have turned off other fans and failed to solidify the bands place in music history. It could be said that it takes the average band 3 albums to created and maintain an image. If so, Rainbow did not give itself time to become a solid outfit and solidify and expand its fan base. What a shame. Stargazer,Catch the Rainbow, Light in the Black, 16th century greensleeves, Gates of Babylon, Kill the King are just a few of the brilliant pieces put out by this band.

Not to dismiss hte work of the Joe Lynn Turner ear, of which there are some aweome tunes like Stonecold and Difficult to cure, but it was a different band that what Ritchie had originally created and the change in style is what might have led to Rainbow's lack of recognition for the quality work that the band produced. That was my two cents. Time to go listen to Long Live Rock and Roll.

Later

P.S: To danne55 I absolutely love your avatar. That is the best album cover ever in my mind. It seems to embody power and persiverance to me. Love it.

Master Shake
04-29-2006, 09:39 AM
^ I agree. Great to see a few replys :D and some fellow Ritchie Blackmore fans. DTE is probably my least favourite album of them all but I still like it. Just what a change in direction, Since youve been gone shocked me. I still like Eyes of the World and a few other tracks but you can't even compare it to the Dio years. Turner had some strong points I like quite a few but then I still wonder about a few tracks. He wasn't very good on the Live Between The Eyes concert but Blackmore was on fire! And I think poor Doogie is completely overlooked, as is the whole Stranger in us All album. Blackmore said himself that he got the band as big as he wanted it to be. I don't really mind that they wernt that big, I like them for what they did some people just dont understand this type of music. It's a band that you might have to be a musician yourself to fully appreicate. I cant wait for Rockpalast 77 to come out!! It's only a few months away :D :D I think Dio might even do the horns in this one (before Black Sabbath) during Kill the King. I might have to watch it again and double check. I personally feel the live versions of songs such a 16C Greensleeves and MOTSM and even Catch the Rainbow were better (they were a live band) but I really wish I got to see a concert with these guys :sad: especially the Dio years. Too bad he wont do a reunion concert.

Nice avatar danne55 :D

JackWhite1988
04-29-2006, 08:19 PM
For those who didn't already know, this is what old Blackmore has been doing since Rainbow/Deep Purple.....

http://www.getreadytorock.com/rock_stars/blackmores_night2.jpg

Good looking girl on the right is Blackmore's partner. They met in 1990, she did backup vocals for Rainbow in 95'. No wonder we won't be seeing a DP reunion. 60+ year old man with a woman half his age. He must be living right.

Master Shake
04-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Not to be pedantic but they actualy met in 89 at a soccer match between Blacker's and a local radio station Candice worked for :D Candice also shared some of the writing duties as well like on Hall of the Mountain King. And incase you were wondering Blacker's turned 61 just a few weeks ago on the 14th of April. I really wish he wouldn't were the tights though, even if they are authentic to ren music. I'm not sure if Blackmore's Night might be comming to an end anyway. Blacker's certainly looks like he is enjoying himself and smiles and actualy jokes on stage but there are a lot of covers on the new album (including Street of Dreams and Child in Time) and the Strat is turning up more often so I don't think there would be a reunion for Rainbow or Deep Purple as much as I would like to see one but I think he should do something else with 'Fresh Blood' he seems to have a talent for discovering undicovered talent and create a new band. I would really like to see an instrumental album by TMiB

I'm guessing I would be the only Blackmore's Night fan here :p: he does some excellent work on his accoustic, not so much a fan of the vocals though but Candice is getting much better.

TwistedLogic
04-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Blackmore and Candace Night (very attractive I might add) are married arent they? I have listened to Blackmore's Night a couple of times and appreciate what they are doing but it is just for me. MasterShake appears to be right on about Rainbow being an outfit bred for live work. The first album has poor production in my opinion but when you hear 16th century greensleeves or catch the Rainbow live from Rainbow on stage it just blows the original away. And hte Intro to Mistreated is awesome; the little classical intro followed by the wholloping opening intro riff is brilliant. What should hte man in black do now or does he want to do much as he gets on in years? Reforming rainbow might not work because if it were to be with previous members that could lead to controvery among former band members and the fans about who should be in the band; Tony Carey or Don Airey on keys, Bob Daisley or Roger Glover on Bass. Then who would actually want to rejoin if there is animosity over having been dismissed by Blackmore in the first place?

The idea of doing Purple again is not likely as the new unit with Steve Morse is stable, recording and appear very happy. No room for Blackmore in there anymore. Maybe he should try his hand at producing up and comers and writing so stuff with young bands, sort of like what Santana has done in the past few years only being done to aid in the development of fresh talent. Not sure if that would work knowing his temper.

Evil_Empire24-7
04-30-2006, 08:11 AM
rainbow is brilliant , i like their cover of Beethoven's 9th + ritchie is one of history's greatest rock guitarist since he invented neo-classical and being one of the 70's greatest guitarists.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Their self-titled album is my absolute favorite but Rising is also a tremendous album.

Now, I'm not too sure about their whole bio so could someone give me a very brief description? Just explaining how they got together and when they broke up or w/e. Thanks a lot.

ThePurpleRabbit
04-30-2006, 08:29 AM
4 words:

LONG LIVE ROCK n' ROLL!!

Master Shake
04-30-2006, 09:16 AM
To a previous post, no Candice and Ritchie are not married but have been engaged for a long time now.

A breif bio :D

Back to the Deep Purple days a band called Elf that featured Ronnie James Dio on vocals were the opening act for Deep Purple. Ritchie was not happy how the band was starting to change direction and really wanted to do a quartermass song called ironically enough "Black Sheep Of The Family" the purple guys didnt want to because it wasnt their song so Ritchie one day after many years together spoke to Ronnie about it and he also like the song so they did a recording of it and Ritchie really liked how it turned out. Soon they started piecing other tracks for a "B" side with the other guys from Elf and then the other tracks turned out even better and the result was Ritchie Blackmore"s Rainbow released in 1975. I might add Self Portrait is almost criminaly underrated.
Ritchie left Purple and then went solo on his new Rainbow project (named after the Rainbow Bar and Grill) replaced all the Elf guys for "more suited musicians" including Cozy Powell and then recorded Rainbow Rising (now with BLackmore chopped off the front) in 1976. Next a live album On Stage 77 was recorded and to many peoples upset didnt contain Stargazer but Ritchie felt it didnt work well without the orchestra. Next another few changes for the next album Long Live Rock "n" Roll and they had real problems finding a new bass player so Blackmore plays bass on a few tracks (I will let you guess which ones) and then also did all his seance stuff there to which is why "No Thanks to BAAL" appears on the back of the album.

Next came the unfortunate departure of Dio (it seemed more like a mutual desicion if you listen to bootlegs) and Graham Bonnet was the new vocalist and Glover came in to produce and play bass officaly. Down to Earth 1979 Very big change in direction and has a very commercial approach. Opened the first Monsters of Rock concert.

Bonnet was then kicked and Joe Lynn Turner was the new voclaist (still many other band members changed) with Difficult to Cure 1981 with the title track being the famous Beethoven tune and also contains Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal another lovely interpretation the andante movement of Beethovens Ninth Symphony with the slide guitar and an excellent impro section. Straight Between the Eyes 1982 just slight changes still very commercial orreientated compared to the Dio years stand out track IMO is Tearin' Out My Heart also cantains hits like Stone Cold etc. Then Bent Out of Shape was released in 1983 before Ritchie left to go back to Deep Purple (I wont go into why) for a break before 1995 when Rainbow was reformed with even more musicans and recorded Stranger In Us All with Doogie White on vocals and is the closest to the Dio years. Doogie did want to write mystical lyrics but Ritchie said that was Dio"s thing and wanted him to write lyrics that appealed to girls. The stand out tracks for me are Black Masquerade, Arieal and Hall of the Mountain King (that popular Greig theme)
So in all Ritchie was the only constant and had many changes in line ups which I didnt put because it wasnt really necissary. Obviously I could go into much more depth and already probably went to much into it already but feel free to ask questions on this awsome band.

I hope that makes sense and there arnt too many typos but you should get the picture. I hope I didnt leave anything out but someone can correct me if I did.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 10:12 AM
^^Hey thanks dude. I can't believe DP didn't like Black Sheep of the Family that song is awesome!

Prophet of Page
04-30-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm listening to Rainbow Eyes right now.

Great band, I've always loved Blackmore's playing, and always loved Dio's voice, so Rainbow really works for me.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 12:22 PM
They work for me as well....Tom.

Prophet of Page
04-30-2006, 12:25 PM
You know I'm so glad that my sig actually works.

Master Shake
05-01-2006, 07:37 AM
No problem at all distilledspirit :D

And yay someone else posted cheers Tom

istandalone
05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
personally i dont know much about rainbow at all but dio, his solo career...wow he is amazing!

TwistedLogic
05-02-2006, 07:37 AM
I think that I am going to pick up live in germany today if the store I am going to has it. I am totally phyched. Supposed to be better than On Stage, which I already have on vynal; yes I am that old.

P.S; in my opinion the intro for rainbow eyes is arguably the most beautiful piece of music written in rock. My favorite piece of music bar none. I have had a hell of a time finding what I consider to be an adequate tab of the intro. Help, suggestions, and general comments on the intro and tune are welcome. Long Live Rock and Roll. :peace:

Master Shake
05-02-2006, 08:27 AM
I love Rainbow Eyes, I agree with you completely!!! it is beautiful and IMO the perfect closure to LLRn'R. Live in Germany is good, although I don't think I have ever seen it in a store here. I am more familar with On Stage though.

Try This Tab: (sorry I had to cut it all out because it was 28000 characters long and u can only have 10000)
If it is what you already have then there isn't much point posting it all anyway but if it's not I can send it to you another way.

|-------0--0-----------------------|
|-------5--3--0-(0)-(0)--(0)--(0)--|
|-------------4--2---0----2----4---|
|----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------|
|--0-------------------------------|

--------------2----------|-------0--0-----------------------|
--1-----1--------1--1----|-------5--3--0-(0)-(0)--(0)--(0)--|
-----2-----2-------------|-------------4--2---0----2----4---|
-------------------------|----------------------------------|
--0----------------------|----------------------------------|
-------------------------|--0-------------------------------|

--------------0------------|---------------------------|
-----------1--1------1-----|---------------------------|
-----------0--0------0--0--|-----------5-7-5-----------|
-----2--2---------2-----0--|-------5---5-7-5-----5--7--|
--3------------------------|--0----5-7--------7--5--7--|
---------------------------|---------------------------|

--------------0----------|---------2------------------|--------------3----2----|
--------5--7--8----7--5--|--3-5-3-----3-5-1-----3--5--|--3--------3------------|
--------4--6--7----4--0--|--2-4-2-----2-4-0-----0--0--|--2-----2---------------|
-------------------------|--0---L------------2--------|-----0------------------|
-----2-------------------|----------------3-----------|------------------------|
--0----------------------|----------------------------|--2---------------------|

She's been gone since-
----------------------------------------------|
-------------------------------0--------0-----|
-------------------------------------------0--|
--------2----------------------------0--------|
-----2----------------------------------------|
--0-------------------------------3-----------|

-yesterday Oh I didn't-
----------------2-----------0-----|------------------------------------|
-------------------3-----------0--|--------1---------------------3-----|
----------------------------------|---------------------0-----------2--|
-------------0-----------2--------|-----2---------------------0--------|
----------------------0-----------|--3---------------------------------|
--2-------------------------------|------------------------2-----------|

-care Never cared for-
-----------------0----------|----------------------------------------|
----------------------------|-------------------------------------0--|
--------------0-------0-----|-------------------------0--------------|
-----------2-------------2--|--------2-------------------------0-----|
--------2-------------------|-----2-------------------------2--------|
--0-------------------------|--0-------------------------3-----------|

-yesterdays Fancies in the-
-----------------2-----------0------|---------0------------------------------|
--------------------3---------------|----------------------------------3-----|
--------------------------------2---|----0--------------------0-----------2--|
--------------0-----------2-------2-|------2------------------------0--------|
-----------------------0------------|--3-------------------------------------|
--2---------------------------------|----------------------------2-----------|

-air No sighs or-
----------------0----------|---------------------------------|
---------------------------|--------1------------------3-----|
-------------0-------0-----|------------------------------2--|
----------2----------------|-----2------------------0--------|
-------2----------------2--|--3------------------------------|
--0------------------------|---------------------2-----------|

-mysteries She lay-
-------------------3--------------------|
----------------0-----0-----------------|
-------------------------0--------------|
-------------0--------------------------|
----------------------------------------|
--3-------------------------3--------2--|

-golden in the- -sun.
------------------------0--------------|--------------2--3--2--0-----|
---------------------------------2-----|-----------3--------------3--|
------------------------------2-----0--|--------2--------------------|
---------------------2-----------------|--0--------------------------|
------------------2--------0-----------|-----------------------------|
--0------------------------------------|-----------------------------|

No broken- -harmonies. But i-
-------------------------------|-----------------------3------------|
-------------------------3-----|--------------------0-----0---------|
--------0-------------2-----2--|-----------------0-----------0------|
-----2-------------0-----------|--------------0---------------------|
--3----------------------------|------------------------------------|
-------------------------------|--3---------------------------------|

-lost my way. She had rain- -bow-
-------------------------0--------|-------------------|-----------|
----------------------1-----------|--1----------------|--L--------|
-------------------0--------------|--2----------------|--L--------|
----------------2-----------------|--2----------------|--L--------|
--3-------------------------------|--0----------------|--L--------|
----------------------------------|-------------------|-----------|

-eyes. Rainbow-
------------------------------|-----------------------------0--|
------------------------------|--------3-----------------0-----|
---------------0-----------0--|-----2-----2--------------------|
------------2-----------0-----|--0--------------------2--------|
---------2-----------2--------|--------------0-----------------|
--0---------------3-----------|--------------------------------|

-eyes Rainbow-
----------------------------|-----------0-----------------0--|
--------------0----------0--|--------1-----------------1-----|
----------------------------|--------------------------------|
-----------2----------0-----|-----2-----------------2--------|
--------2-------------------|--3-----------0-----------------|
--0--------------3----------|--------------------------------|

-eyes.
---------------2--3--------|-----------2--3----2----|
------------3--------------|--------1-----3---------|
---------2-----------------|-----2--------2---------|
--0------------------------|--0-----------0---------|
---------------------------|------------------------|
---------------------------|------------------------|

Or the intro a bit easier if your a noob like me

Q E E S S E E E E E E E E E Q
E||-------0--0---------------|-------------------------|
B||-------5--3--0-0-0--0--0--|--------------7----------|
G||-------------4-2-0--2--4--|--5-----5--------5--5----|
D||--------------------------|-----7-----7-------------|
A||--------------------------|--0----------------------|
E||--0-----------------------|-------------------------|

|-3-|
Q E E S S E E E E E E E S S S E S S E
-------0--0---------------|--------------------------------|
-------5--3--0-0-0--0--0--|----------------5---------------|
-------------4-2-0--2--4--|----------0--5--5--------5------|
--------------------------|-----2----0--5--5-7-5----5-5----|
--------------------------|--3-----5g7-----------7----5-7--|
--0-----------------------|--------------------------------|

Q S S S S E E E E E E E E Q E E
---------------------------|--------0--0--0----0--0--|
---------------------------|--------5--7--8----7--5--|
-----------5-7-5-----------|-------------------------|
-------5---5-7-5-----5--7--|-------------------------|
--0----5-7--------7--5--7--|-----2-------------------|
---------------------------|--0----------------------|

S S E E S S E E E E E E E E Q Q
--0-0-0--2--0-0-0-----------|--------------3----2----|
--3-5-3-----3-5-1-----3--5--|--3--------3------------|
----------------------0--0--|--2-----2---------------|
-------------------2--------|-----0------------------|
----------------3-----------|------------------------|
----------------------------|--2---------------------|

Cheers
Shake

Danne55
05-02-2006, 10:03 AM
^^ Nice tab

personally i dont know much about rainbow at all but dio, his solo career...wow he is amazing!
Then you should really check out Rainbow with Dio. I think you're gonna like it

btw there are some posts here :D :p:

Kadaj
05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I've got an album that's the greatest of Deep Purple, Rainbow and all the offshoots, kinda like a greatest hits, and Rainbow have got some pretty good songs, I'd look into them more but I don't really have the money right now, and I hate borrowing albums. Any tips of what to get if I decide to buy anything?

Danne55
05-02-2006, 02:18 PM
^^ The album is "Purple Rainbows" right? Really good album

Anyway to try to answer your question:
The best albums are the Dio ones (listed in the years they were released):
1975 Ritche Blackmore's Rainbow
1976 Rising
1977 On Stage
1978 Long Live Rock n Roll

imo Rising is the best followed by LLRnR and finally the self-titled one.
On Stage is a live album and cant really be compared to the studio albums. One of the better live albums there are though

TwistedLogic
05-03-2006, 06:10 AM
MasterShake you are a god. Thanks for this tab. I think I know what I will be playing for the next few days.

in response to danne55: I agree about the Dio years. I have all of the releases. Of the post Dio years I only have Straigth Between The Eyes, although I would like to try out Stranger In Us All as I have heard good things about it and Doogie White ( is that the right singer?). I saw a video on the Rainbow fan clan site called Hunting Humans and thought it was pretty good. Anyone familiar with that album / cd? Is it worth picking up?

Again thanks MasterShake. :)

Danne55
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
^^ As you said Doogie White is the singer in "Stranger in us All". It is very underestimated. It is probably the most similar to the Dio albums. Just that Dio's voice is a bit more deeper or mystical (you get it I hope) compared to White's.

TwistedLogic
05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I had this weird thought. Bear with me as I try to explain. If you look at some people who have played in Rainbow, led by a man that many would call tempermental, they aslo have worked with others who likewise have reputations as being difficult sometimes. Joe Lynn Tunrner worked with Malmsteen for a while, Graham Bonnet was in Alctraz which Malmsteen was in at one point; I am not sure if they when together. I think that Doogie White also might have worked with Malmsteen. Weird coincidence if I am right.

And to danne55; as I have some cash lying around I figured taht it was a good time to expand my cd collection. I will give Stranger In Us All a look. Thanks for the imput.

Master Shake
05-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Hey no problem at all TwistedLogic I could send you the whole thing if you like (same goes to anyone else PM me if you want it) Yes Stranger In Us All is almost criminally underrated and wasn't released at the right time. 95 wasn't a good year as far as good Hard Rock is concerened.

Here's my brief two cents on the tracks:

Wolf to the Moon: great classic rocker, a great driving song! Candy's lyrics,

Cold Hearted Woman: another nice track reminds me more of the JLT era

Hunting Humans: I think you either love this song or you don't. A lot of people like it and find it the best on the CD however I don't. I'm not saying I hate it but I don't really like the lyrics and it's not really dynamic enough for my likeing. Blacker's still sounds go on it and I prefer it much more live. It is about a serial killer called Dennis Nilsen (he liked dead boys)

Stand and Fight: probably the weakest track IMO

Ariel: A great track with a nice heavy riff, my second favourite on the CD and a very
popular one as far as SIUA is concerned. Candice lyrics again

Too Late for Tear: A good song, doesnt really stand out much to me.

Black Masquerade: My favourite track, good riff, nice solo hints were he was going to go with Blackmore's Night with the accoustic in there.

Silence: alright

Hall of the Mountain King: The popular Greig theme put into a really great Rainbow tune.

Still I'm Sad: again :D

Emotional Crime (Japanese Bonus Track): Could have easily been included on the CD.

And yes your thought are right. All of the Rainbow guys have worked with Malmsteen including Dio and White also did work with him and I don't think he is far from that camp anyway.

bangoodcharlote
05-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't know a ton of Rainbow, but what I have heard is awesome.

Kill the King has a ridiculous solo.
Rainbow Eyes is one of the best ballads EVER.

Master Shake
05-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Kill the King is a great solo, I like arpeggios for some reason but I think the solo on Gates of Babylon is better as a whole

Danne55
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey guys about the singers also working with the Swedish (you recognised the nationality, right :p: ) Yngwie Malmsteen:
Yngwie's stuff is quite similar to Blackmore's and Rainbow's. (Probably since Blackmore was one of Yngwie's biggest inspirations). Since they are similar they maybe used the same singers :p:

....or maybe there are just a big replacement as there are in many bands.... :p:

King Wiberg
08-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Rainbow is probably my second favorite band. But like most when I say rainbow I mean the first three albums (and on stage). Dio is definatly my favorite singer though.

Sideshow Raheem
08-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Rainbow are one of my favorite classic rock bands.

They also sound better on vinyl.

Fuze
08-19-2006, 11:41 PM
ritchie blackmore is one of my favorite guitarists, but i never really tried listening to rainbow yet

S'gunS'man
08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Rainbow album for a while. I'm not sure, but I might get Catch A Rainbow: The Anthology, as I normally get a compilation album to start with when dealing with a new band, then start buying studio and live albums, but I've been told Rising is their best album. Any thoughts?

TwistedShredder
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I LOVED the song man on the silver mountain for 2 reasons, the music, and the fact that they got ronnie james dio to sing it, very cool mix, i dont really like the name tho, it makes them seem like a gay band...."RAINBOW"....ok..

Master Shake
08-30-2006, 05:23 AM
I've been thinking about getting a Rainbow album for a while. I'm not sure, but I might get Catch A Rainbow: The Anthology, as I normally get a compilation album to start with when dealing with a new band, then start buying studio and live albums, but I've been told Rising is their best album. Any thoughts?

It depends what sort of music your into, I like Rising best but it is a bit on the short side with only 6 tracks but you really only need one (stargazer) :D . Catch the Rainbow the anthology isnt a bad buy the first disc anyway (which contains most of rising anyway) which is the Dio era a lot of people might not like the second disc though and I wouldnt say the second disc was a real 'best of' from those eras as the only stand out tracks to me are Eyes of the World, Weiss Heim, Spotlight Kid (only if you skip the lame keyboard solo) and Stone Cold. I normaly do what you do by buying the best of album first but I was intruduced to Rising first and I loved it so its really up to you.

Dæmönika
08-30-2006, 05:28 AM
I LOVED the song man on the silver mountain for 2 reasons, the music, and the fact that they got ronnie james dio to sing it, very cool mix, i dont really like the name tho, it makes them seem like a gay band...."RAINBOW"....ok..

Dio was there for 4-5 years and Rainbow is named after a Bar & Grill in Hollywood.

Danne55
08-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Rising is their best album and (as MasterShake said) most songs are included on Catch the Rainbow: the Anthology you could get that best of album.

I've been listening to the second disc of Catch the Rainbow: the Anthology (the non-Dio era) for a while now and acctually (you wont believe this :p: ) it isn't that bad acctually. I think the JLT-songs are better than the Bonnet-songs. For example I just cant stop listening to "Street of Dreams", probably the greatest non-Dio song.

What is sad with Catch the Rainbow: the Anthology is that no songs from Stranger in us All is included. That is the best non-Dio album. It is acctually really good

S'gunS'man
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Okay, thanks for the help!

Master Shake
09-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Ohh yeah how could I forget Street of Dreams! (I was thinking of the wrong CD there) also Tearin out my heart and Cant Let you go are ones to look out for

Danne55
09-03-2006, 07:07 AM
^^ yep you're right

As I said I got to admit once again that the JLT songs are pretty good.

Master Shake
09-03-2006, 07:48 AM
If I had to choose the second CD mine would probably look like:
Eyes of the World
Tearin out my heart
cant let you go
street of dreams
weiss heim
black masquerade
ariel
stone cold
snowman
Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal
difficult to cure
eyes of fire
spotlight kid
bring on the night
anybody there
Wolf to the moon
Hall of the Mountain King
Temple of the King (live 95)

Make a few of em live
I just cant believe tracks like Jealous Lover and Power made it on there and also the exclusion of Stranger In Us All, I think Black Masquerade is one of their best songs.

Danne55
09-04-2006, 03:29 PM
^^ You missed out All Night Long and (maybe, it's not neccesary) Since you've Been Gone.
All Night Long is good i think.

Jealous Lover is a medium good song... Power isn't so good tought. Niether can I believe how it came inte the Best Of-album on the cost of Stranger In Us All. Shame!
Black Masquerade is really good but I think Ariel is the best track from that album and I think it is one of their best songs :p:

WokCreations
09-05-2006, 05:46 AM
Rainbow was the bomb, but once Dio was dropped they went pop. Ritchie was always pushing Deep Purple to be more commercially successful, he got his wish post-Dio and look where they ended up....forgotten!

But in the Dio days they rivalled Deep Purple....Stargazer was just astounding....

Master Shake
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
^^ You missed out All Night Long and (maybe, it's not neccesary) Since you've Been Gone.
All Night Long is good i think.

Jealous Lover is a medium good song... Power isn't so good tought. Niether can I believe how it came inte the Best Of-album on the cost of Stranger In Us All. Shame!
Black Masquerade is really good but I think Ariel is the best track from that album and I think it is one of their best songs :p:

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of the Bonnett era the guy has huge range but I still think there is something lacking in his voice, hence I left out those tracks but they do deserve a spot still I guess or maybe even I Surrender should still be there because it was their biggest hit? A lot of people don't like Stranger in us all for some stupid reason and dont think of it as a Rainbow album (it was apparently meant to go under a different band name after Blackers got the money because of DP) but thats the only reason I can think of which is just palin stupid if you ask me because there are some great tracks on there ( like Ariel and Black Masquerade :p: ) I would have liked to see Blackmore to another CD with Doogie on vocals but he went with Blackmore's Night which I personally think is getting too commercial at the moment :(

Danne55
09-06-2006, 11:44 AM
^^ I cant believe there acctually are people not considering Stranger In Us All...
That's the non-dio album which is most "Rainbowish" (I refer to the Dio era)

distilledspirit
09-07-2006, 12:26 PM
^^ I cant believe there acctually are people not considering Stranger In Us All...
That's the non-dio album which is most "Rainbowish" (I refer to the Dio era)

Yeah I agree with you, that's the best non-Dio album. Though it doesn't match up with Rising or the debut, it has a lot of gerat songs.

EL Conquestidor
09-09-2006, 11:03 AM
I thought so but I wasn't positive

I honestly think Rising is one of the best covers on any album in history.
Count me in as a Rainbow fan. While I'm not much of a Blackmore fan,(He's one egostistical SOB) I thought DIO was bitchin. And the RISING album cover was awesome!

distilledspirit
09-09-2006, 12:11 PM
^You think Ritchie has an ego? I've never even heard the man talk.

WokCreations
09-10-2006, 01:03 AM
You don't need to :D He's a freak, but he can play guitar damned well so it's all good.

If he wasn't as described above, would Deep Purple: California Jam '74 have happened like it did?

distilledspirit
09-10-2006, 01:18 AM
^That was awesome, best of his live stuff.

Danne55
09-10-2006, 04:13 PM

:haha

But the man could really play guitar :D

(btw isn't this the longest Rainbow-thread ever? :p: )

Master Shake
09-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Well even if people think he does have an ego it doesnt make his playing any different and he can back himself up in most cases. I also read he has had issues with self confidence through out his career? (im not sure if thats still the case)

(btw isn't this the longest Rainbow-thread ever? :p: )

I feel so proud :D

Danne55
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
^^ Yeah but when I talked about the threads length the thread died....:p:

Master Shake
09-27-2006, 04:01 AM
^^ Yeah but when I talked about the threads length the thread died....:p:

yeah thats true ...... sadly :sad:

Damn I want live in Munich 77!! No one is selling it here :(

Tom S.
09-27-2006, 05:07 AM
So, turns out Ritchie and I share a birthday. I now hold that over all of you. Ha! :p:

Also, turns out JLT was an alright guitarist as well. He played lead and sang for his old band (name escapes me) and I've seen him playing rythym on Difficult to Cure live. :)

Danne55
09-27-2006, 09:31 AM
^^Cool!!

Damn I want live in Munich 77!! No one is selling it here :(

Have you tried to *cough*download*cough* it :p:

distilledspirit
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I just got Long Live Rock n Roll. Next to rising it's my favorite album. After that, it's the debut.

Master Shake
09-28-2006, 07:10 AM
So, turns out Ritchie and I share a birthday. I now hold that over all of you. Ha! :p:

Also, turns out JLT was an alright guitarist as well. He played lead and sang for his old band (name escapes me) and I've seen him playing rythym on Difficult to Cure live. :)

Yeah you win sharing the same birthday ;)
Are you talking about Fandango? He was in that before Rainbow and was vocals and lead guitar. If anyone is interested heres some samples (thanks to Ayreonozz):

http://www.nehrecords.com/shop/FandangoFandango.htm#WOU2306

http://www.nehrecords.com/shop/FandangoLast.htm#WOU2696

theres more on the site.

Have you tried to *cough*download*cough* it

yeah I do have a bootleg but i want a dvd quality one :sad: I have to wait a bit so it comes up on local stores import list because i abused my internet shopping rights :( also the japanese version comes with a Blackmore style pick but they are way to expensive here it costs $120 AU to import it :rolleyes:

Tom S.
09-28-2006, 07:26 AM
way to expensive here it costs $120 AU to import it

Yup, living in Australia sucks as far as buying anything cool is concerned, especially guitars. Damn overinflated extorsionists...

Here's a couple of videos for ye, first one is sort of vaguely Blackmore related, second one is Ritchie's sense of humor coming out, and is consequently hilarious.

Deep Purple (with Steve Morse :headbang: ) and various members of Black Sabbath (Dio, and Iommi playing a Strat!) doing Smoke on the Water with an orchestra. Coolest. ****. Ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9yXF6zPthU)

Random German guy with a none-too-good grasp of English interviewing, or rather, getting the piss taken out of by, Blackmore and Glover. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lyMUYpC9h4)

get-born
09-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, I really like Deep Purple, but I want to get into these guys too, what would be a good first album?

Dog Eat Dog
10-01-2006, 12:31 AM
^Rainbow Rising their best IMO

I was listening to Rainbows greatest hits when i saw this thread :D

JackWhite1988
10-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Honestly, if I was someone who liked Deep Purple pretty much, I'd start off with the greatest hits of Rainbow.

Listen to those, write down which ones you like the most, get on the internet and find out what album they came from, sample that album through asite like Amazon, read some customer reviews then come down to a conclusion. This is the way I built my arsenal of albums. Most of then anyway...

But if I HAD to choose an album, go with Rainbow Rising like Dog Eat Dog said OR the debut self titled record.

Sirlancelot42
10-01-2006, 01:16 AM
I can honestly say i dont have any rainbow songs or albums and i have been wondering about them for quite some time.

Which Dio, Blackmore era Rainbow cd would be best for me to get in your Rainbow loving experience

Danne55
10-01-2006, 07:02 AM
I also think you should get a best-of album preferably "Cath the Rainbow: The Anthology" to see what songs/era you like the most.

The best Dio/Blackmore albums i imo "Rising" folowed by "Long Live Rock n Roll" and then their selftitled debut album ("Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow")

Master Shake
10-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Yup, living in Australia sucks as far as buying anything cool is concerned, especially guitars. Damn overinflated extorsionists...

wow I didnt think it would be that bad over East as well, yeah I dont think I will be getting an ENGL anytime soon either :(

Random German guy with a none-too-good grasp of English interviewing, or rather, getting the piss taken out of by, Blackmore and Glover. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lyMUYpC9h4)
yeah I love that interview :D Blacker's has such a dry sense of humour.

I can honestly say i dont have any rainbow songs or albums and i have been wondering about them for quite some time.

Which Dio, Blackmore era Rainbow cd would be best for me to get in your Rainbow loving experience

Yeah I would have to agree with Dane55
Rainbow is also a really great live band so On Stage 77 or Live in Cologne 76 are some great live albums but I do prefer some of the boots.

Danne55
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
If you just want a few songs from the band I'll make a list:

Most Famous Songs
Dio era
Man on the Silver Mountain
Catch the Rainbow
Long Live Rock n Roll
Gates of Babylon
Kill the King

Bonnet era
All Night Long
Snince You've Been Gone

JLT era
I Surrender
Stone Cold
Spotlight Kid

Other good (maybe some of the best) songs
Dio era
16th Century Greensleaves
Stargazer
Tarot Woman
Light in Black
Mistreated (live version of a Deep Purple song)
Rainbow Eyes

Bonnet era
Eyes of the World

JLT era
Street of Dreams
Cant Let You Go

Then there is also a time with Dogie White on vocals and you could check out:
Ariel
Black Masquerade
Wolf to the Moon

Master Shake
10-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Then there is also a time with Dogie White on vocals and you could check out:
Ariel
Black Masquerade
Wolf to the Moon

I'm still waiting for the second CD with him :D
I'm also going to see him with Malmsteen next month, its their first time in Perth and most probably their last..... (I cant beleive they are playing at a nightclub :( .. I hate WA sometimes )

Dæmönika
11-23-2006, 07:17 PM
If you read the Tull thread, you'll see that I also bought a Rainbow album, in particular the Munich '77 release, one that was released this year, no less. So has anyone bought this yet, and if so, what do you think of it? I was pretty much blown away by Still I'm Sad. It's a monster of a song (25 minutes) and playing van Beethoven (I believe, I haven't checked, but it sounded like him) in the background at the end of the drum solo was a touch of class.

Master Shake
11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
^ I finally got the dvd of it a few weeks ago, I cant believe it was only $10! I have already watched 6 times :p: It is excellent and I guess its kinda cool with the whole story in the lead up to it but so sad how its the only whole filmed concert from that era. The Japanese version even comes with the Blackmore style plectrum which is cool (but expensive) I still have to wait for the cd and I also want the Deutschland Tournee

TheHeartbreaker
11-24-2006, 03:38 PM

I watched this one show recently (I'm not sure if it was posted on here or not) on YouTube, where he did a gig in Japan, and he somehow forgot Roger Glover's name.

He was like, "Yes, well, in Deep Purple I play with this bassist named... um...", and then you see Ronnie James Dio whisper, "Roger Glover," in his ear.

After you play with a man for so many years, I'd find it hard to accidentally forget his name.

Encore_God
11-24-2006, 05:26 PM
There is no greater heavy metal band than one containing Ronnie James Dio, Ritchie Blackmore and Cozy Powell. Fact.

'Long Live Rock N Roll' is probably one of the best albums in the heavy metal genre.

Thrashard
11-24-2006, 10:29 PM
rainbow are so damn good. i could listen to blackmore play guitar for hours upon hours. the first album is a classic, the rest are all pretty good too.

TheHeartbreaker
11-24-2006, 10:33 PM
There is no greater heavy metal band than one containing Ronnie James Dio, Ritchie Blackmore and Cozy Powell. Fact.

'Long Live Rock N Roll' is probably one of the best albums in the heavy metal genre.

Yeah, that album awesome. :headbang:

Master Shake
11-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I watched this one show recently (I'm not sure if it was posted on here or not) on YouTube, where he did a gig in Japan, and he somehow forgot Roger Glover's name.

He was like, "Yes, well, in Deep Purple I play with this bassist named... um...", and then you see Ronnie James Dio whisper, "Roger Glover," in his ear.

After you play with a man for so many years, I'd find it hard to accidentally forget his name.

Thats just his sense of humour, its very dry.

TheHeartbreaker
11-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Really? Sense of humour?

Well, if you say so...

get-born
11-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Rainbow, huh?

You have a singer so great he was brought in to replace Ozzy, you have an incredibly talented guitarist who created the neo-classical genre on guitar, you have a drummer who was so great, he was the first choice to replace John Bonham, if Zeppelin wanted a replacement, and a bassist (Craig Gruber) who was equally great...

Now thats a band!

TheHeartbreaker
11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Well, those were only some of the members of Rainbow, but I'm fairly certain that Gruber was fired after the first Rainbow album, and Jimmy Bain became the next bassist?

Also, don't forget to mention Tony Carey for this particular line-up.

Rather than Blackmore-Dio-Gruber-Powell, it should have read Bain-Blackmore-Carey-Dio-Powell.

lexhibit
11-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Dare I say, on a good day, Rainbow was sometimes a better band than DP. Ritchie and Glover always have had a love hate relationship. Ritchie kicked RG out of DP in 73 then Gillian followed suit. It was only because when RG produced Rainbows Down to Earth in 79-80 that he was back playing with Ritchie, and Ritchie was reluctant. RB was always a funny dude, and very dry. I think a lot of people didn't like him, because he's too deep and they don't understand his humor and maybe they were a little jealous of Ritchies talent?

TwistedLogic
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I heard the story that Ritchie approached Dio about forming the new band and Dio was reluctant due to loyalties to his mates in Elf. Blackmore agreed to bring the other Elf members into the fold and recorded the first album, then fired all but Dio soon after. Do not know if this is true or not but it is consistent with Rainbows revolving door of band members.

get-born
11-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I heard the story that Ritchie approached Dio about forming the new band and Dio was reluctant due to loyalties to his mates in Elf. Blackmore agreed to bring the other Elf members into the fold and recorded the first album, then fired all but Dio soon after. Do not know if this is true or not but it is consistent with Rainbows revolving door of band members.

If its true, then that was lame...

TheHeartbreaker
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM

I don't belive so.

Ritchie did fire everyone on the Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow CD after it was recorded (except Dio), but I don't believe that anyone from that original band was in Elf.

It's possible I'm mistaken, however, as I do not listen to Elf.

Danne55
11-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh my god!! I've been away from UG for a couple of days and when I return the Rainbow thread is waken up again :D

Well, anyway, Blackmore took all the members from Elf (except the guitarist of course) to record the first selftitled album. Then all members where fired except Dio.

TwistedLogic
11-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I heard that there was a book out about the history of Rainbow. Does anyone else have any interesting stories about the man in black. For all his greatness as a player I have read that he is not the nicest person who is proned to tempor tamtrams. That could partly explain the many line up changes in the band.
On a side note; when Rainbow and the Scorpions were on tour in 1982 they had a habit of playing soccer matches before some shows, as was the case here in Montreal.

Danne55
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
^^ And may I ask how the games turned out?

TwistedLogic
11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
I do not recall any particular score just that they had played on a near by soccer field.

TheHeartbreaker
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Oh my god!! I've been away from UG for a couple of days and when I return the Rainbow thread is waken up again :D

Well, anyway, Blackmore took all the members from Elf (except the guitarist of course) to record the first selftitled album. Then all members where fired except Dio.

Okay, I was wrong.

Master Shake
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Actually all members from Elf werent fired Mickey Lee Soule actually quit (probably cause he knew he was about to get the boot)

I heard that there was a book out about the history of Rainbow. Does anyone else have any interesting stories about the man in black. For all his greatness as a player I have read that he is not the nicest person who is proned to tempor tamtrams. That could partly explain the many line up changes in the band.

I have Rainbow English Castle Magic if thats what you are talking about but its not so much a history it goes through the albums and songs and tells stories along the way. He always did lots of pranks :D It does go through why people apparently left and the break up of Rainbow to go back to Deep Purple?

kshelt76
11-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Well, in his defense, I've forgotten the names of some of my closest friends who I've been friends with for over ten years. There'll be times where I'm sitting right there, talking to them, and I'll say, "Hey(weird silence), bro, (insert rest of sentence) using man because I can't remember his name. So, I could probably easily forget the name of someone in my band if I was asked and couldn't bring it out.

TheHeartbreaker
11-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm sure you don't see your friends most of the day almost every day, though (I could be wrong, of course :p: ).

Ritchie was with his band members a lot - in the studio, but mostly in hotels, restuarants, on stage, and mostly in their tour bus or airplane or whatever they used.

In fact, these guys were with each other so they became sick of one another.

I'd find it hard to forget one another's names.

Danne55
11-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I do not recall any particular score just that they had played on a near by soccer field.

ok... for some reason I got an image in my head where there where shooting the ball across the stage :p:

kshelt76
11-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm sure you don't see your friends most of the day almost every day, though (I could be wrong, of course :p:).

Ritchie was with his band members a lot - in the studio, but mostly in hotels, restuarants, on stage, and mostly in their tour bus or airplane or whatever they used.

In fact, these guys were with each other so they became sick of one another.

I'd find it hard to forget one another's names.

Back when I played football in high school, I would occasionally forget the names of guys who I saw all day through school, then would spend two-three hours with out on a practice field. That's about 10+ hours together, five days a week(not including the time we spent together practicing in the summer)(not as much time as Ritchie spent with his band members, but still, a lot of time with them), and there would be times when I would look at one of them, and the name just wouldn't be there. I remember one time, a teacher asked me who would be starting at left guard(the position right next to me) and I just looked at the teacher but couldn't come up with the guys name. I'm not saying that he shouldn't remember their names, but sometimes your brain just doesn't want to work correctly and you have a "brainfart", and so, he may not be egotistical, it might have just slipped his mind at the time.

DieN
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
It probably just was a little blackout. Nothing special.
I think I'll buy Rising.

stringzzz
11-30-2006, 07:43 PM
wow! it's good to see alot of cool people into Blackmore and Rainbow.

the band Elf were actually from a small town about about 30 miles from where i live.
there was a small music store that had a room upstairs where suposedly Rainbow rehearsed before recording the first album. i can remember seeing Gary Driscoll and Craig Gruber playing in bands in local clubs after they split with Rainbow. unfortunately , Gary Driscoll was murdered several years ago , i believe in 1987. i think the Ronnie Dio , Blackmore combination was great because of the songwriting. definately a special time in music for me.

by the way i thought "Stranger in us all" was a really good CD , i don't think it got much attention here in the US.

Danne55
12-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I've acctually just heard one song by Elf - "Hoochie Koochie Lady" - and it sounds really differnet from what Dio has done afterwards.

On the name-forgetting-subject: I believe Blackmore just got a blackout, it happens most people all the time ;)

Dæmönika
12-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I've acctually just heard one song by Elf - "Hoochie Koochie Lady" - and it sounds really differnet from what Dio has done afterwards.

On the name-forgetting-subject: I believe Blackmore just got a blackout, it happens most people all the time ;)

Listen to Ronnie and the Rockets (I think) which were a band he started in 1959 (according to a website I can't remember.) It's like Buddy Holly.

Master Shake
12-01-2006, 08:36 PM
^Its Ronnie and the Red Caps (58) but there is also Ronnie and the Prophets (61) ??

There is a website called Dio: The early years where you can listen to all of his previous and well, early years

http://www.dimwhit.com/dio/

there some bootlegs on there too. (like war pigs, behind blue eyes and aqualung)

I think my favs are Amber Velvet and shes not the same.

DieN
12-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Wow..some of the cover-songs are awesome. Nice to see he has some good influences.

daytripper75
12-04-2006, 12:00 PM
i like Rainbow. Blackmore is great, and with Dio, you cant go wrong.

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
I recently got their debut album, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, for Christmas.

All I have to say is, "Wow... great music." Personally, my favorite song is the last on the album, entitled, "Still I'm Sad".

I understand that sales of this album weren't too great, and for that reason Ritchie fired everyone from the band except himself (obviously) and Ronnie James Dio.

Does anyone know exactly why this album didn't sell to well, or was there simply another reason why Ritchie fired everyone?

I mean, it's unknown now what other music this line-up could have produced, and I'm not entirely complaining about the fact that different musicians were brought in (because every Rainbow album I've listened to after this one has been amazing, too), but I'm just curious as to why Ritchie has these original members kicked out.

TwistedLogic
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Do not know about the album sales but from what I gather Ritchie intended on firing the other band members from the get go. He wanted Dio and had to agree to allow the other members of his band elf to make up the rest of Rainbow.

Why poor album sales. Maybe people did not get what they were doing musically. It was kind of a prog metal /rock thing possibly a little a head of its time. Maybe others said Ritchie without Purple would be garbage and did not buy it.

Still I am sad is an awesome song. Remake of a cream song I think, not sure. I love the live version from On Stage. It just blows me away, especially Dio's vocals; just brilliant.

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 10:05 PM
The Yardbirds had a song called Still I'm Sad, but the two aren't related.

Thanks for clearing up the reason for the band being fired. :)

lexhibit
01-04-2007, 10:55 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember Paul Samwell-Smith and Jim McCarthy of the Yardbirds on the Rainbow album jacket as the writers of Still I'm Sad.

Dog Eat Dog
01-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey im really getting into Ritchies Blackmores soloing style. Does anyone know what scales Ritchie used in his Deep Purple and Rainbow days?
Thanks

Dæmönika
01-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Thanks for clearing up the reason for the band being fired. :)

Rainbow released another version in '93 (or thereabouts.) It's not half bad.

Master Shake
01-05-2007, 05:41 AM
I recently got their debut album, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, for Christmas.

All I have to say is, "Wow... great music." Personally, my favorite song is the last on the album, entitled, "Still I'm Sad".

I understand that sales of this album weren't too great, and for that reason Ritchie fired everyone from the band except himself (obviously) and Ronnie James Dio.

Does anyone know exactly why this album didn't sell to well, or was there simply another reason why Ritchie fired everyone?

I mean, it's unknown now what other music this line-up could have produced, and I'm not entirely complaining about the fact that different musicians were brought in (because every Rainbow album I've listened to after this one has been amazing, too), but I'm just curious as to why Ritchie has these original members kicked out.

Ritchie didnt keep the original members plainly for the fact that he wanted people with a little more skill (he chose nicer words) then he brought in Cozy Powell and then struggled finding the perfect musicians but I guess by doing that the project was always kept fresh with out loosing it sound, all up I think there were over 20 different members with only 8 studio releases. Also no line up was kept for more than 1 release ;)
Sales werent the best but it got up pretty high in some charts, Blackmore was included in the band name for that release to try and boost the sales. I guess Blackmore has never been that popular either. Rising in the long run did a lot better though.

I like Still I'm Sad live best and yes it is credited to the Yardbirds (if you listen to it live it contains the lyrics)

Hey im really getting into Ritchies Blackmores soloing style. Does anyone know what scales Ritchie used in his Deep Purple and Rainbow days?
Thanks

He is a big fan of the minor scales but he also used oriental (like the Turkish scale on Gates of Babylon and half used on Stargazer) he also used Modes (there his most popular I guess)

Also a bit random but his guitar tech of those days is custom building me the MTC used in his guitar, I'm so excited I cant wait!!! :D :D :D

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought I remember Paul Samwell-Smith and Jim McCarthy of the Yardbirds on the Rainbow album jacket as the writers of Still I'm Sad.

Sorry, I'm wrong. They have the same lyrics, but musically, though it's been a long time since I've listened to The Yardbird's version, they are easy to tell apart.

I could be wrong with that, too, though, because, as I said, I haven't listened to The Yardbird's version for probably well over a year.

TwistedLogic
01-05-2007, 07:01 PM
The Yardbirds, knew I was off with thinking Still I'm said was cream. I have not heard the album version recorded by Rainbow in a long time but if I recall it was instrumental? Fav song from the debut is catch the Rainbow. I do not really like the album largely because I feel the production values and sound quality are lacking. Might also have something to do with the "skill" level of the other band members. Nice way of saying hacks. But most people are hacks compared to Blackmore. All jokes aside I really feel production was not up to par.

The use of minor scales makes sense and would be compatible with Blackmore's neoclassical style. His stuff with Purple and Dio era Rainbow was somewhat brooding (Child in Time, Stargazer, The Shed: Subtle, L.A. Connection), making minor scales sound good if that makes sense.

lexhibit
01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I'm wrong. They have the same lyrics, but musically, though it's been a long time since I've listened to The Yardbird's version, they are easy to tell apart.

I could be wrong with that, too, though, because, as I said, I haven't listened to The Yardbird's version for probably well over a year.

I like the Rainbow version way better. The ultimate version of Still I'm Sad is the live 11 minute version from "On Stage".

TheHeartbreaker
01-06-2007, 01:55 AM
The Yardbirds, knew I was off with thinking Still I'm said was cream. I have not heard the album version recorded by Rainbow in a long time but if I recall it was instrumental? Fav song from the debut is catch the Rainbow. I do not really like the album largely because I feel the production values and sound quality are lacking. Might also have something to do with the "skill" level of the other band members. Nice way of saying hacks. But most people are hacks compared to Blackmore. All jokes aside I really feel production was not up to par.

The use of minor scales makes sense and would be compatible with Blackmore's neoclassical style. His stuff with Purple and Dio era Rainbow was somewhat brooding (Child in Time, Stargazer, The Shed: Subtle, L.A. Connection), making minor scales sound good if that makes sense.

I believe that the lyrics are borrowed from the remake, because the version from Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow is instrumental.

I even looked up Rainbow lyrics for Still I'm Sad, because I knew it was an instrumental, and not only did I get lyrics, but they were also they same as the version by The Yardbirds.

So... basically I'm confused. :(

TwistedLogic
01-06-2007, 08:25 AM
They might have had lyrics listed from the original authors of the song Paul Samwell-Smith and Jim McCarthy as lexhibit mentioned. I understand the confusion. If the original had lyrics why did Rainbow reccord it as an instrumental? Who knows. MasterShake: any ideas on that one? Maybe it was a pet project of blackmore prior to the band being fully formed and hence lacking vocals and they decided the put it on anyway? NOt much of a guess but a guess nonetheless.

Danne55
01-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Sitll Im Sad is made by The Yardbirds. It is the same song made by rainbow. However on the musical version on Rainbows debut album it can be a bit hard to hear.

Listen to the live version or the remake on the album Stranger In Us All and you will hear that they are quite similar.

TheHeartbreaker
01-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Okay.

Master Shake
01-08-2007, 05:54 AM
They might have had lyrics listed from the original authors of the song Paul Samwell-Smith and Jim McCarthy as lexhibit mentioned. I understand the confusion. If the original had lyrics why did Rainbow reccord it as an instrumental? Who knows. MasterShake: any ideas on that one? Maybe it was a pet project of blackmore prior to the band being fully formed and hence lacking vocals and they decided the put it on anyway? NOt much of a guess but a guess nonetheless.

Well the first LP was all of Blackmore's ideas he gathered up from the DP days and he really liked Still I'm Sad. To my knowledge he thought about doing an instrumental release but he thought that would be boring aka not sell very well so he probably just wanted to include one. I get what your saying though, the fact that the vocals are on the live version. Who knows? Blackmore isnt exactly predictable.

Spinal Tap
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Dude I love Rainbow and Deep Purple.

TheHeartbreaker
01-10-2007, 07:51 PM
A Spinal Tap fan, eh?

Awesome. :p:

Lost_Rose
01-11-2007, 04:27 PM

thats true I think mainly the reason is that they dont get much exposure. I suspect that most people dont even know that Richie had another band other than DP. It is a shame as they are awesome

Made Of Metal
01-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Rainbow...what can i say that hasn't been said already. great band, great singers, and I also looooooooooove Blackmore's Night.

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 10:06 AM
I've only listened to very little of Blackmore's Night. The band doesn't sound too bad, but it is sad that Ritchie won't rejoin Deep Purple.

Many people enjoy Morse, who I am sure is great, based upon the few videos I've seen of him playing, but Deep Purple isn't Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore.

It'd also be really sweet if Rainbow reunited.

Master Shake
01-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Well I also like Blackmore's Night particulary the instrumentals like Mond Tanz, Minstrel Hall, Memmingen and Possum Goes to Prague but I dont really like Candice's voice.

I think Deep Purple suits a more bluesy sound to Morse, Morse is good still but I think he holding himself back as a guitarist being in there. He sounds a lot better 'outside'.
But also on the topic of DP what did Ritchie say to Gillan to annoy him that much??
Well it must have been something bad all the bad mouthing RB is getting and his face is of Machine Head merchandise. Its funny how he hates him so much but still plays most of his songs.

I think it would be great if Rainbow would reunite, but I would also like to hear a new project with new peoplw. As much as I like BM its just starting to lose it IMO its a bit, how should I say 'promote Candice'. Plus its his 10 year thing he seems to have going
I think Blackmore could also do a really good Instrumental CD.

Wishfull thinkking huh

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Maybe if we get Gillian and Blackmore together, we can get them really high, and then maybe they'll be too happy to be mad at each other.

TwistedLogic
01-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I would also like to hear and instrumental cd from Blackmore. With his classical training and penchant for great improvs on his solo's on live work like On Stage it would be a good mix. And since he is likely well off financially he would not have to worry to much about marketing and or finding an audience to promote an instrumental work to. He has enough of a fan base that it would sell a little and probably strike a chord with fans in other genres, like jazz or classical music. It might also be a fresh outlet musically for him.

Danne55
01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah an instrumental would be cool.

However I would really like to see some kind of reunion with Dio, which would be really interesting

lexhibit
01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Deep Purple isn't Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore.

finally someone agrees with me, I like Steve Morse's solo records and I like Tommy Bolin on DP's "Come Taste the Band", but the heart and soul and main songwriter in Purple is Ritchie. How many good classic rememberable songs are on the last 3 Deep Purple albums with Morse?

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I would also like to hear and instrumental cd from Blackmore. With his classical training and penchant for great improvs on his solo's on live work like On Stage it would be a good mix. And since he is likely well off financially he would not have to worry to much about marketing and or finding an audience to promote an instrumental work to. He has enough of a fan base that it would sell a little and probably strike a chord with fans in other genres, like jazz or classical music. It might also be a fresh outlet musically for him.

That'd be awesome. :headbang:

Danne55
01-15-2007, 08:33 AM
finally someone agrees with me, I like Steve Morse's solo records and I like Tommy Bolin on DP's "Come Taste the Band", but the heart and soul and main songwriter in Purple is Ritchie. How many good classic rememberable songs are on the last 3 Deep Purple albums with Morse?

There are very few who dont agree with you! :p:

Sloopy
01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
For everybody that likes Deep Purple, check out Vanilla Fudge. If enough people seem to like them I might start a thread about em.

TheHeartbreaker
01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
I've got an album of theirs, actually! Well, my dad does at least.

I've heard some good things about them, though, and I'll likely give them a listen myself soon.

marijaaa
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
they're really great.

blackmore used to say he left deep purple because of rainbow, and the others who are still in deep purple say they fired him. i believe they fired him, come on, deep purple's one of the most successful rock bands and he wouldn't leave them.
but however it was, i love rainbow... blackmore's a great guitarist!!! :cool:

TwistedLogic
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Based soley on opinion; no way was Blackmore fired. If you look at deep purples history they had a few line up changes, although not as many as Rainbow. One of the DP constants was Blackmore, along with Lord and Paice. He did have a famous fall out with Ian Gillan but Blackmore remained. He might have wanted to experiment with a new band and evironment not curtailed by expectations of what DP should sound like.

There is no doubt that the musical heart of DP resided in Blackmore and we can see similarities in both DP and Rainbow, although I feel Rainbow was more of a prog rock unit, whereas DP was more of a straight ahead rock band.

Bloody Headache
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
they're really great.

blackmore used to say he left deep purple because of rainbow, and the others who are still in deep purple say they fired him. i believe they fired him, come on, deep purple's one of the most successful rock bands and he wouldn't leave them.
but however it was, i love rainbow... blackmore's a great guitarist!!! :cool:

Blackmore, Paice and Jon Lord all felt the band had run its course by the mid 70's so Blackmore left and did Rainbow in an attempt to work with completely new people and the only reason Purple carried on was Coverdale and Hughes were thirsty for more success and Paice and Lord agreed to hang on.

That was the day Deep Purple really died.

TwistedLogic
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
/\ Sounds right to me. Ritchie's classical influences can be found in many DP songs and that could not be recreated by another guitarist/ songwriter. He was and still is a unique musician. Need to get a little more into Blackmore's night, if anything to expand my musical horizons.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Based soley on opinion; no way was Blackmore fired. If you look at deep purples history they had a few line up changes, although not as many as Rainbow. One of the DP constants was Blackmore, along with Lord and Paice. He did have a famous fall out with Ian Gillan but Blackmore remained. He might have wanted to experiment with a new band and evironment not curtailed by expectations of what DP should sound like.

And even with the fallout between Gillian and Blackmore, Blackmore was too big of a part of the band for the other members to want to fire him.

That's how I see it, at least.

Master Shake
01-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes he was also paid a large amount of money to STAY in the 90's. With that we got the Stranger in Us All album

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Man, I wish Ritchie would rejoin with Deep Purple so badly! Or Rainbow, at least! :cry:

Master Shake
01-20-2007, 04:08 AM
He definately needs to do something different, I like his so called Blackmore's Night fanbase, i'll quote some:

Apparently Ritchie used to be really big in the 70's
Blackmores Night formed in the late 80's when Evans left

Cant he see what he's doing to himself, sure I like HIS work (minstrell hall, possum goes to prague ect) but all these 'new' fans only care about Candice who really just sucks, a bit better through time but she sucks. Why is he surrounding himself with below average musicians?? Dont say anything like that on their english fanclub forum though, you'll get banned for having ears.

TheHeartbreaker
01-20-2007, 09:20 AM
I agree. I haven't listened to much of Blackmore's Night, but I was surprised to hear how poor Candice was of a vocalist.

I'm sure Ritchie just has her in the band so he can be with her constantly, and then bone her after jam sessions. ;)

Dæmönika
01-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, I do believe they are engaged, and have been for at least ten years, so I think he can bone her whenever he wishes.

TheHeartbreaker
01-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Lucky bastard. :sad:

RainSong
01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
i have some blackmores night albums and i think Candice has a very good voice for that style of music. But yes Ritchie should do something else now.

DieN
01-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I just heard "Gates of Babylon" for the first time. Awesome! I only have Rising.

sheumack111
01-21-2007, 06:27 AM
For those who didn't already know, this is what old Blackmore has been doing since Rainbow/Deep Purple.....

http://www.getreadytorock.com/rock_stars/blackmores_night2.jpg

Good looking girl on the right is Blackmore's partner. They met in 1990, she did backup vocals for Rainbow in 95'. No wonder we won't be seeing a DP reunion. 60+ year old man with a woman half his age. He must be living right.

God i love Blackmore.... And god Candince Night :P................ Ritchie is my favourite guitarist, even with the music that he plays now...... He does things that others dont do, hes never satisfied, something can allways be better, thats what makes him soo good, throughout playing for DP and Rainbow and now Blackmores Night he has always strived to take things to another level......

How good is Rainbow Live in Belgium when they play 16th century Greensleves...... OMG.... Blackmore is phenomenal

sheumack111
01-21-2007, 06:34 AM

Hey im with you!!! Bolin and Morse both great guitarists, but no-one can write riffs and solo's like Blackmore can.......

Master Shake
01-21-2007, 06:42 AM
I just heard "Gates of Babylon" for the first time. Awesome! I only have Rising.

Yup, thats one of his best solo's IMO, still like Rising over LLRNR though

I have also decided I'm going to paint Rainbow Rising on my strat copy :D

Danne55
01-21-2007, 08:58 AM
I have also decided I'm going to paint Rainbow Rising on my strat copy :D

Haha that's really cool!

Master Shake
01-21-2007, 09:51 AM
i hope so, I want it to look like this
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/MasterShake75/nanna151.jpg

I just did the first coat, but then this is more for the customizing thread :p:
I cant wait till its finished :D

TwistedLogic
01-21-2007, 10:26 AM
That is one awesome looking guitar there MasterShake.

On the topic of Blackmore's next venture. I have a question / hypothesis. Lets say for the sake of argument that there are two general type of musician. Those like Blackmore, who have classical training and have a wider musical base with Blackmore's nightbase then lets say, Angus Young, who learned about music theory after being in AC DC and has generally stick to one style of music. I know there are many variations in between but bear with me. Would an artist like Blackmore have a longer and more productive career then someone like Young because he would have more influences to tap into in creating new music and therefore keeping songwriting fresh for himself and the fans. Just a thought. Discuss if you wish.

TheHeartbreaker
01-21-2007, 10:29 AM
i hope so, I want it to look like this
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/MasterShake75/nanna151.jpg

I just did the first coat, but then this is more for the customizing thread :p:
I cant wait till its finished :D

Nice, man. :cool:

Danne55
01-22-2007, 10:24 AM

On the topic of Blackmore's next venture. I have a question / hypothesis. Lets say for the sake of argument that there are two general type of musician. Those like Blackmore, who have classical training and have a wider musical base with Blackmore's nightbase then lets say, Angus Young, who learned about music theory after being in AC DC and has generally stick to one style of music. I know there are many variations in between but bear with me. Would an artist like Blackmore have a longer and more productive career then someone like Young because he would have more influences to tap into in creating new music and therefore keeping songwriting fresh for himself and the fans. Just a thought. Discuss if you wish.

I believe that musicans like Blackmore has a greater oppurtunity to keep his carrer up. He can "switch" genres and by that getting new fans.

People like angus Young could stay really long if they are enough succesful since they will get fans that always stay with them no matter what, like in AC DC or maybe like Iron Maiden's huge amount of faithful fans.
However if they dont manage to produce to get themselves those fans they might easy become forgotten.

EDIT: Nice guitar btw, Master Shake

TheHeartbreaker
01-22-2007, 11:36 AM
I came up with a joke... sort of (I'm still trying to work it out, but here it is in a rough form)...

So after a night of amazing music, the band Rainbow leaves the stage amidst the pleasing roar and applause of the crowd.

When the band gets to their bus, everyone stops as they notice a horrid stench. Fingers point accusingly, before finally pointing out the sweaty armpits of the band's frontman.

Pinching his nose shut, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore is able to muffle out a few words, "**** Ronnie, you need some Dioderant!"

:D

Master Shake
01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
^
Tee hee thats actually quite fenneh :D

Well thats quite an interesting topic in itself. I think I agree with you about Blackmore with genre crossing and being able to broaden himself to different groups of fans. I think particulary in Rainbow with the constant change in line-ups the sounds was always kept fresh and sounded different enough without ever loosing its sound. He also seems to change bands every 10 years. So I can say Blackmore has probably lasted longer and it has been quite productive, he was quite inovative. Young has ACDC behind him which makes him more popular

If you are talking in terms of training well I guess thats a tuffy. Blackmore was/is always a nerd when it came to theory which may or may not have led him to use the theory of classical/medieval music to come up with riffs like Smoke on the Water (uses 4th & 5ths) he seems like a natural improvisor, what sounds good. He always said song writing bores him. I suppose Blackmore is quite technical (yet not clinical) so once again I think its down to persnal taste, I also find him quite expressive.
I think it could also depend on what type of person you are, I find Blackmore a very I guess, artistic person (moody, creative, expressive ect) not to say that someone like Angus isnt but they are very different and have different ways of showing it. (I find I relate to Blackmore's playing a lot more than most guitarists. a lot of it also sounds timeless to me)

Sorry if that makes no sense its 2 in the morining and i havent slept much for the past two days. I might have gone off on a tangent there

BTW thanks to all that said my guitar is gonna look good, I cant wait till its finished!

TwistedLogic
01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
That is the thing that allows Blackmore to be so great. He can tap into all that nerdy theory, by designn or accident, and create something interesting and fresh. The timeless comment is very appropriate as good music does last for a reason.

I wonder what it would be like for Blackmore to team up with some celebrated jazz players like Pat Metheny or maybe with someone who is very eclectic like Andy Sumner of the police. That would bring him back to more mainstream music while allowing his experimental desires to be satisfied. I wonder if he wants to be back in the rock and roll game. He's seen it all and knows how hard and ruthless it can be. Maybe his is still doing Blackmore's night to escape all the politics of the music pop music industry. Just a little rant from a little guy.

And as a note, I as well like the Joke, nice work Heartbreaker. I just what brand of dioderant Ronnie would use? Silver Mountain musk? :confused: Cannot think of a funny brand to pose as a tag to the joke. Anyone else have any ideas.

TheHeartbreaker
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
It's Andy Summers. :)

Hm... as for the joke... I'll work on it. ;)

Master Shake
01-24-2007, 03:01 AM
That is the thing that allows Blackmore to be so great. He can tap into all that nerdy theory, by designn or accident, and create something interesting and fresh. The timeless comment is very appropriate as good music does last for a reason.

I wonder what it would be like for Blackmore to team up with some celebrated jazz players like Pat Metheny or maybe with someone who is very eclectic like Andy Sumner of the police. That would bring him back to more mainstream music while allowing his experimental desires to be satisfied. I wonder if he wants to be back in the rock and roll game. He's seen it all and knows how hard and ruthless it can be. Maybe his is still doing Blackmore's night to escape all the politics of the music pop music industry. Just a little rant from a little guy.

And as a note, I as well like the Joke, nice work Heartbreaker. I just what brand of dioderant Ronnie would use? Silver Mountain musk? :confused: Cannot think of a funny brand to pose as a tag to the joke. Anyone else have any ideas.

Well I read in a recent interview that he did want to go back into rock again ... .. .. only he wants to do it in Blackmore's Night :( not that i have a huge problem with that but Candice is not a rock vocalist :no:
He said when asked about why he started BN he was sick of rock and roll, not so much playing it but as you say all the politics that follow it ('after you learn your first chord, get a lawyer')
I mean winter carols was obviously a try to get into the charts so was the village lanterne in some places IMO it just looks like Candice and her Mother (also Blacker's manager) are making all the decisions to help Candice. In reality she is nothing with out him, yet she is the focus these days :rolleyes: Its not like Blackmore at all, maybe there is something more to it than that?

TwistedLogic
01-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Well I read in a recent interview that he did want to go back into rock again ... .. .. only he wants to do it in Blackmore's Night :( not that i have a huge problem with that but Candice is not a rock vocalist :no:
He said when asked about why he started BN he was sick of rock and roll, not so much playing it but as you say all the politics that follow it ('after you learn your first chord, get a lawyer')I mean winter carols was obviously a try to get into the charts so was the village lanterne in some places IMO it just looks like Candice and her Mother (also Blacker's manager) are making all the decisions to help Candice. In reality she is nothing with out him, yet she is the focus these days :rolleyes: Its not like Blackmore at all, maybe there is something more to it than that?

The quote in bold is priceless. Similar to what Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P has said in that the music bizz if a sea full of sharks and most artists are simply guppies. He said if he knew what the bizz was really like he would have never been in a pro band.

As for the comments about Candice and her mothers influence, could there be some Yokoing going on. I mean seriously, Ritchie for all his musical greatness, is not the most handsome of chaps and is not the most socially graced person from what I have read. Maybe he really loves Candice and will allow things to flow to help her out due to love and or fear of losing her. If that is the case then who really needs who? Candice for Ritchies connections or Ritchie for Candice's love and companionship? Ah...the things we do for love eh. You are likely right that Candice is not suited to singing rock material. Instead of making Ritchie blind, maybe love has made him deaf. ;)

But in Candice's defence the music business is superficial and she is an attractive women, so I do not blame BN managment team for playing that up to get more media and fan attention.

TheHeartbreaker
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Well I read in a recent interview that he did want to go back into rock again ...

:cry:

TwistedLogic
01-25-2007, 08:22 AM
/\ABout Ritchie wanting to get back into rock; maybe he is just waiting for the right time. Like when grunge exploded in the early 1990's as a reaction to all the horrible pop music being made. Maybe he is waiting for rock to retake center stage in the public. That might give hiim confidencee that his work will not be in vain. The popularity of new bands like Wolfmother might be an idciation that people are looking for more classic rock and if so maybe Ritchie will see his opportunity to make and release.......a Rainbow album. And with Ronnie James Dio working with Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) that might increase his desire to get to gether when Dio when he is finished those commitments. *crosses fingers*

Master Shake
01-25-2007, 10:58 AM
The quote in bold is priceless. Similar to what Blackie Lawless of

As for the comments about Candice and her mothers influence, could there be some Yokoing going on. I mean seriously, Ritchie for all his musical greatness, is not the most handsome of chaps and is not the most socially graced person from what I have read. Maybe he really loves Candice and will allow things to flow to help her out due to love and or fear of losing her. If that is the case then who really needs who? Candice for Ritchies connections or Ritchie for Candice's love and companionship? Ah...the things we do for love eh. You are likely right that Candice is not suited to singing rock material. Instead of making Ritchie blind, maybe love has made him deaf. ;) lol I had to laugh at that one :haha

But in Candice's defence the music business is superficial and she is an attractive women, so I do not blame BN managment team for playing that up to get more media and fan attention.

Yeah there is some truth in that, I just find it a little strange on how long they have been engaged, I guess he doesnt want another failed marrage.

That last comment is too true for my liking, its something I really hate about the business :(. Most of her fans do seem to be female though surprisingly

Rock will always be a safe platform for him I guess, and there is every chance that might happen as rock very slowly creeps back (well its not moving a lot but as you say bands like Wolfmother are at least helping the genre as far as popularty)

Well he did say 'when the time is right' (in regards to an instrumental album) just when is the next question

TheHeartbreaker
01-25-2007, 04:35 PM
/\ABout Ritchie wanting to get back into rock; maybe he is just waiting for the right time. Like when grunge exploded in the early 1990's as a reaction to all the horrible pop music being made. Maybe he is waiting for rock to retake center stage in the public. That might give hiim confidencee that his work will not be in vain. The popularity of new bands like Wolfmother might be an idciation that people are looking for more classic rock and if so maybe Ritchie will see his opportunity to make and release.......a Rainbow album. And with Ronnie James Dio working with Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) that might increase his desire to get to gether when Dio when he is finished those commitments. *crosses fingers*

Perhaps. Hopefully, though, if Rock does regain a large hold in popular music, he won't sell out.

TwistedLogic
01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I do not think that Ritchie would sell out. He did a bit of damage to Rainbow's image among its fanbase with Down to Earth and Difficult to Cure. It was to soft for some older fans but the release of Stranger in Us All showed Blackmore making music for him and his band and damn the world. It is a good and under appriciated piece of work; underappricated maybe because not enough people knew it was out there. Ritchie showed a lot of balls and conviction in doing BN and SIUA so he is probably at a stage in his career where he has nothing to prove. He's done it better than most ever will. Now he can just focus on writing music and expressing himself. Hopefully I am right.

TheHeartbreaker
01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Hopefully... I would prefer Blackmore with Blackmore's Night over him selling out.

distilledspirit
01-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm listening to Tarot Woman right now...the intro is awesome, followed up by awesome guitar work.

Master Shake
01-27-2007, 01:23 AM
I do not think that Ritchie would sell out. He did a bit of damage to Rainbow's image among its fanbase with Down to Earth and Difficult to Cure. It was to soft for some older fans but the release of Stranger in Us All showed Blackmore making music for him and his band and damn the world. It is a good and under appriciated piece of work; underappricated maybe because not enough people knew it was out there. Ritchie showed a lot of balls and conviction in doing BN and SIUA so he is probably at a stage in his career where he has nothing to prove. He's done it better than most ever will. Now he can just focus on writing music and expressing himself. Hopefully I am right.

Well thats an interesting suggestion
I think he is probably a little annoyed at never getting 'truley' reconised. He has never thought of himself as being a brilliant player to my knowledge (he always had low self esteem) so I can see why he gets annoyed and say things like 'Eric Clapton cant play guitar' he just hasnt seem to be around at the right time or pissed off the media one too many times. He spent so long trying to crack the market (look at the Bonnett and JLT albums) then release SIUA at a really bad time in the middle of Grunge so he has probably just gave up and is doing exactly what he wants by still making money. I guess that is why he could have Candice there too, he just wants to enjoy himself and would probably want to be around people he likes rather than a front man he will constatly argue with like Gillan. He still gets pissed off though but maybe not as much and not by the members of his band.
I mean lets face it Rainbow was never truley popular, Dio said he came out of it with no money at all which I think is pure BS but anyway, he might not have had millions like he does now. Most people are only going to know him as the 'Smoke on the Water' guy or at least Deep Purple's guitarist.

TheHeartbreaker
01-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I think he is probably a little annoyed at never getting 'truley' reconised. He has never thought of himself as being a brilliant player to my knowledge (he always had low self esteem)

Really?

Wow, I find that shocking. I thought that his asshole personality was based more upon the Yngwie arrogantness of being, "The best guitarist ever,".

TwistedLogic
01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
/\ the idea of having the feeling of not being recognized with go along with his having low self esteem as MasterShake mentioned. People like are that are filled with self doubt that no amount of praise can fix. If you ask the majority of present days greats like Fruciante. Morello, Laiho, Mayer adn others who Blackmore is they would likely give answers similar to what we do; he is a rock genius.

Master Shake
01-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Really?

Wow, I find that shocking. I thought that his asshole personality was based more upon the Yngwie arrogantness of being, "The best guitarist ever,".

I actually dont think he's an asshole at all. Its his image yes, but the more I read about him and speak to those that know him well I can tell its not true. But I think he likes that, he wants to be the baddy or the Prince of Darkeness. He is moody though, but I think people get these two things confused. He is artistic and he wouldnt be easy to work with sometimes, but hes not a bad person overall me thinks.

TheHeartbreaker
01-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think he's a bad person, just that maybe he can be an ass without really realizing it.

Master Shake
01-28-2007, 08:48 AM
^ yes but cant we all from time to time? we just dont have the media following us around trying to destroy our lives

Hey, I have a question for anyone really.
Suppose Blackmore did do an instrumental album (other than creating the obvious new tracks) What do you guys think would be some good covers? Could be anything really, classical pieces like Difficult to Cure, some of his other songs or something completely unrelated.

I do ask for a reason so please respond, doesnt matter how stupid it might sound.

TheHeartbreaker
01-28-2007, 10:46 AM
An instrumental album would be awesome.

I already love the instrumental Still I'm Sad from Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.

TheHeartbreaker
02-10-2007, 09:51 PM
*BUMP*

Well, I now own Rainbow's first three studio albums, and I love them all.

I was wondering exactly why Dio left Rainbow, and if it has nothing to do with bad relations between the members, if a reunion tour looks possible anytime?

I know we've discussed how it's unlikely because of Blackmore's Night, but say that the band, for any circumstances, broke up, or Ritchie was compelled to play Rock again.

Master Shake
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Well in regards to why Dio left Rainbow, nobody really knows.

If you listen to bootlegs it seems as if it was a mutual dession. I think Dio was nervous about getting fired and even approched other members saying that it was going to break up, or he knew he was getting the boot and asked if the wanted to do a solo album with him. But then Dio joined Sabbath and that didnt happen anyway.

Dio makes it no secret that Blackmore is his hero and he says no chance for a reunion that he is more interested in his solo project (that isnt travelling to well these days) but I think given the chance he would jump for it. Why else would he always sing about Rainbows :D
(He also said that about sabbath too :rolleyes: )

I think all band members have tried to get Blackmore to play with them and rejoin Rainbow but he's just not interested, he's doing his dream. They even said they cant get past his manager (Candy's Mother)
There was meant to be a reunion a few years back but then poor Cozy had that little accident in the middle of discusions and well... :sad:
There would probably be a greater chance if Cozy was still alive but I dont think Blacker's is interested. :(

Danne55
02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Another reason Dio left/got kicked out of Rainbow was probably that Blackmore wanted to do more comersialized music. Dio's music and lyrics about dragons and kings etc (you get the point) simply didn't fit in there.

A Rainbow-reunion would be really nice but it cant be the same without Cozy...

TheHeartbreaker
02-11-2007, 10:05 AM
There was meant to be a reunion a few years back but then poor Cozy had that little accident in the middle of discusions and well... :sad:
There would probably be a greater chance if Cozy was still alive but I dont think Blacker's is interested. :(

I forgot about Cozy's death. :sad:

Danne55
03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Ok I just have to bring this thread back to life now...

I have now bothered to really get into Blackmore's Night and I must say i am really surprised. I had no idea that it would be this good and holding such high class as it acctually does.

I had the idea that it was really hardcore medieval/renaissance music but I've found out that many songs actually feels fresh and modern.

DieN
03-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I just bought Long Live RocknRoll (for Kill the king and Gates of Babylon). Really nice album.

TwistedLogic
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Question. First off this is about Blackmore's settings. My current set up is an epiphone dot and a roland micro cube; not much but what I have. I was playing Stonecold last night with the amp on the brit combo setting, tone at about 2 and a half, and gain at like 3. The guitar was set at the middle position with no bridge tone and neck tone at about 4. Actually sounded pretty nice . How has Blackmore's sound setting changed over the years and what settings are recommended for his different eras; Dio, Bonnet/Turner, White. I would like to recreate the sound he has on the Shed from LLRR. Any suggestions?

Master Shake
03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Nice one Danne, I was thinking the same thing. Im trying to learn Possum Goes to Prague lately, thats a pretty hard song quite fast finger picking.

Im way to tired to ramble on about Blackmore's tone so I will 'try and make this somewhat quick

Blackmore actually doesnt use the middle pick up, its wired Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Neck. I actually prefer it this way myself rather than 5 options once you find out how to do it :p:
I suppose Blackmore's tone is lots of little things that make up what it is and unfortunately it doesnt come cheap. I realise you might infact be asking more about amp/guitar settings but I can explain what I know from the seperate eras:

I mentioned the way the pups were set up before and he used 'Bill Lawrence' pickups during the Dio era mainly because they needed something with high out put because the giant rainbow was interfiring a bit with his gear. He also has a little secret in his guitar called the MTC which you can buy from Dawk (not cheaply I might add) that also changes the sound. I have one myself and I could rave on how awsome it is but I will leave that for another time. He also put his guitar through an old tape deck which you can see him use live (this provides extra drive along with natural compression but is also moded as a delay unit). A treble booster in which BSM make great replicas, the HS model is a clone from the Hornby Skewes one Ritchie used to use and they claim to use all the same vintage parts but once again..... at a price. In the 80's Ritchie tried the first Lace Sensors and has pretty much stuck with them since. He moved from the Marshalls to Engl mostly the soverign and the Savage (I can give you a pic on his setting of the sov if you want) Tortoise shell picks customly shaped help with not being able to hear the 'click' of the pick. Also Piccato RB77 strings, to do with the gauge and the metal. He also used a Roland synth in the 90's which is the black box on his guitar from that time.

Also here is a link to one of the best forums ever, his ex-guitar tech of the time John 'Dawk' Stillwell. A helpfull friendly guy but he is currently away on tour with Manowar. Its a great forum and he is very open. 'Dawks fan' also knows a lot. I would try reading a few of the threads before asking the question though because you are likely to get the respose 'its been said before' but take a look anyway.

http://dawkmods.proboards34.com/

TwistedLogic
03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
/\ well, it looks like someone has done thier homework. Great stuff MasterShake. I will have to wait until I win the lottery before I can emulate Blackmore's sound eh. So I figure that I wil ahve to experiment with effects to compliment my use of humbuckers for now.

TheHeartbreaker
03-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I just bought Long Live RocknRoll (for Kill the king and Gates of Babylon). Really nice album.

That was the first Rainbow album I owned. My favorite songs are the title song, as well as L.A. Connection and Lady of the Lake (which is one song on mine, but I've seen it as seperate songs as well).

Danne55
03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
That was the first Rainbow album I owned. My favorite songs are the title song, as well as L.A. Connection and Lady of the Lake (which is one song on mine, but I've seen it as seperate songs as well).
LA Connection is really good. Acctually no song on that album is that bad.The title track however gets worse and worse and you feel how tedious it acctually is.

Although no song is bad there isn't a really great song like "Stargazer" there. Though I really like Rainbow Eyes.

TwistedLogic
03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Rainbow eyes is brilliant. No other way to discribe it. MasterShake provided me the intro in tab. Learn it; its one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written imo. LLRR was the second album I ever bought, after Back In Black by AC DC, and it is still one of my favorites. I love the way the solo for Kill the King just rips right into high gear from the start. I also like hte outro for L.A.Connection with the funky piano and Dio ad libbing vocals, and the thumping macho bass lines for the Shed. Great album. The Rainbow fanclan legacy site had and hopefully still has a live clip of kill the king live with Dio on vocals. It ain't mastercard but its damn priceless. Give it a look if you have hte chance.

TheHeartbreaker
03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
there isn't a really great song like "Stargazer" there. Though I really like Rainbow Eyes.

Shit! I totally forgot about Rainbow Eyes! :eek:

That is my favorite song from the album.

DieN
03-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Funny that you don't mention my favourite two songs (Gates of Babylon and Kill the King). Gates of Babylon is the "Stargazer" on the album, and their 2nd best song IMO.^^ The solo is just amazing.

TwistedLogic
03-20-2007, 07:50 AM
/\ What stargazer album. Stargazer is on Rising and Gates of Babylon is on Long Live Rock and roll. On the subject of GOB what effect is Blackmore using in the guitar interlude before the last chorus; is is a flanger. Sounds neat and really complements the middle eastern vibe of the song.

Master Shake
03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
/\ well, it looks like someone has done thier homework. Great stuff MasterShake. I will have to wait until I win the lottery before I can emulate Blackmore's sound eh. So I figure that I wil ahve to experiment with effects to compliment my use of humbuckers for now.

Hehe, yes I need to put in a ticket myself. I really need to save for a good amp, Im pretty happy with my giutar at the moment and perhaps save for a tape deck too but I dont want to copy Blackmore, I am a firm beleiver in 'do your own thing' but his tone is just so good!

also here is the link to the fanclan http://www.rainbowfanclan.com/ go under the videos section and they have three from the Rockpalast DVD Live in Munich 77 (which is only $10 or so if you wanted to buy it)

I think the solo off Gates of Babylon is Blackmore's best. But I still like Stargazer better overall because unfortunatley guitar solos just arent everything :p: As for the effect.... I actually have no idea, I never even thought about it until you mentioned it and it is a pretty cool effect. I would say a flange or phaser though. I just tried the flange quickly and it sounded kinda close but its just a crappy inbuilt one so I would use the phaser if it had batterys :p: . It certainly behaves more like my phaser so it would be interesting to try with a 'real' flange but I only own a phaser and TB. Maybe an octaver aswell :confused:

Danne55
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Gates of Babylon is a "Stargazer Light" if you get it. Blackmore was experimenting with orental music a bit there (porbably influenced by Led Zeppelin's Kashmir) and got two great songs. Totally forgot Gates of Babylon before - that song is great although there are a few better songs by Rainbow even on that album.

I also like the outro on LA Connection. A bit funky (wasn't that what Blackmore wanted to get away from in Coverdale/Hughes-Deep Purple? :p: )

TheHeartbreaker
03-20-2007, 03:46 PM
their 2nd best song IMO.^^

Second best song overall?

I enjoy the song, but I wouldn't rank it among my favorites.

TwistedLogic
03-20-2007, 03:57 PM
I will experiment with my amp which comes equipped with flanger and phaser options, although my little cube has nothing on the amps used by Blackmore. The curse of being fans of famous musicians; lacking the finances to buy equipment to sound like your idols.

I agree with MasterShake about creating your own sound but I tend to use others sound as a template for what I am looking for. Rainbow Rising, Long Live Rock and Roll, Led Zep II, Bad Company's debut, iron maiden killers are all albums that I love partly because they are somewhat under produced, allowing for a grittier / edgier rock sound. That is what floats my boat. Roger Glover is very talented but his productoin work is just not for me. Martin Burch ftw.

DieN
03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Second best song overall?

I enjoy the song, but I wouldn't rank it among my favorites.
I do :D
It's just music. I think it's about enjoying and nothing else. If I really like a song (and want to listen to it again and again) it goes to my favourites. ;)

Supreme WarHawk
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Blackmore's great. has anyone heard any Blackmore's Knight? is it any good?

TwistedLogic
03-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Playing guestion / help. I am listening the Rainbow eyes and have the tab provided by MasterShake * mad props to the Master* and cannot help but feel the song is being playing in arpeggio. I intially thoughts it was a staight 1-2-3-4 type picking pattern but upon futher review thing arpeggiated playing in occuring with a quarter note followed by triplet / sort of waltz pattern. Opinions and help are welcome.

BTW Blackmore's night is alright. It can be something of an acquired taste depending on how varied your musical tastes are. If you are cool with classical you should be able to get into some of what Blackmore's night is up to. Slow / dedium paced lilting music is how I might describe it.

Danne55
03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Blackmore's great. has anyone heard any Blackmore's Knight? is it any good?
If you mean Blackmore's Night you should try it out. If you like Blackmore's playing style based upon medieval tones this is absolutely worth looking up. However the others are (probably) a bit more into it and recomend some albums (or why dont start with the best-of album)

Master Shake
03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Playing guestion / help. I am listening the Rainbow eyes and have the tab provided by MasterShake * mad props to the Master* and cannot help but feel the song is being playing in arpeggio. I intially thoughts it was a staight 1-2-3-4 type picking pattern but upon futher review thing arpeggiated playing in occuring with a quarter note followed by triplet / sort of waltz pattern. Opinions and help are welcome.

hehe Im such a nerd :D :D
What section do you mean, the intro or in the verse where the line is around 'yesterdays' or 'defend'. its mostly arpeggiated quavers but I think I know what your saying and there are obviously mistakes on that tab. I think its the same pattern from the lines I mentioned that are on the tab that might go two semi quavers at the end of one bar and another two at the start of the next bar. Meaning a few bars need a few more notes :p: Well spotted and thanks for pointing that out, it wont be hard to re-write but unfortunately I dont have the time.

Blackmore's Night has some great medieval, Renaissance themed pieces and Blackmore does some great instrumental work on pieces like Mond Tanz, Minstrel Hall, Possum Goes to Prague, that sort of stuff. Its really acoustic based but you hear the strat a bit still (more these days) a bit different from Rainbow but similar in ways. But having said that I really question the bands future (Winter Carols??). I know I have said this before but I would really like him to do something new. I might see them next year if I skip off to Europe, they dont come here :sad:

EDIT: Over 200 posts :D :cool:

TwistedLogic
03-22-2007, 07:20 AM
/\ 204 cool. I was thinking the chorus'were arpeggiated. Its all good. I like the tab so no need to any rewriting of it. I have to look up semi quaver in theory and make a new run of it. :peace:

I meant the verses, talk about nerds :D

TheHeartbreaker
03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
This may sound off-topic, but I'm curious if any of you guys are fans of Grand Funk Railroad?

I'm a fan of theirs, and I was listening to one of their albums today, when suddenly I thought, "These guys sound similar to Rainbow, but less guitar dominated."

So... since we're all Rainbow fans here, I thought I'd recommend this band to you. :)

DieN
03-24-2007, 05:07 AM
I always thought GFR sound like Led Zeppelin.^^

Master Shake
03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
This may sound off-topic, but I'm curious if any of you guys are fans of Grand Funk Railroad?

I'm a fan of theirs, and I was listening to one of their albums today, when suddenly I thought, "These guys sound similar to Rainbow, but less guitar dominated."

So... since we're all Rainbow fans here, I thought I'd recommend this band to you. :)

Ive never even heard of them so i'll have a listen.

EDIT: Im watching a few vids off youtube and they dont sound too bad. I actually new one song :p:
Heartbreaker reminds me a bit more of Uriah Heep though which arent that different anyway.
Thanks for the recommondation anyways ;)
i'll keep on watching

TwistedLogic
03-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I like Grand Funk and do not really see the resemblance; but hey, to each thier own. I never really got into uriah heep so will have to you tube them and check thier site to see the resemblance.

I also might add that I tried Rainbow Eyes in playing arpeggio in the verses and it sounded pretty good, except for my craptastic playing skills. I also took the liberty of setting my amp with some chorus and some reverb and it had a nice atmohpheric sound to it. Anyone else ever play around with settings and gotten something they liked?

Master Shake
03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
I always add reverb to my playing :p: but I unfortunately cant use chorus at the same time. What I have done recently is actually set a real small delay on my acoustic simulator which i think sounds quite nice (it doesnt sound like an acoustic guitar but a nice tone non the less, my distortion really sucks tho) Also A little bit of phase sounds nice on clean to. You get a live based Catch the Rainbow sound :cool:

TwistedLogic
03-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the phaser; that is something I will try.

TheHeartbreaker
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Yesterday, my friends dad informed us that his band played a few shows with Rainbow and REO Speedwagon.

Imagine what it must have been like...

Master Shake
03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Yesterday, my friends dad informed us that his band played a few shows with Rainbow and REO Speedwagon.

Imagine what it must have been like...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

How cools that! :cool:

What was his band called did you know??

TheHeartbreaker
03-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Nantucket.

Danne55
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
TheHeartbreaker: your dad is my idol :p:

A question: Is Grand Funk the same band as Grand Funk Railroad?

TwistedLogic
03-27-2007, 03:49 PM
/\ I think so, they went through a change of style and personal but might have been the same core band.

TheHeartbreaker
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
TheHeartbreaker: your dad is my idol :p:

A question: Is Grand Funk the same band as Grand Funk Railroad?

Friend's dad.

And yes. :)

Danne55
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Friend's dad ;)

Must say that "The Ocean" by Blackmore's Night is truly fantastic. It could almost have been done by Rainbow, only the distortion missing.

Also "Ghost of a Rose" is really good.

(Acctully most things are good!)

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 01:08 PM
I still haven't listened to much of Blackmore's Night, but I've been wanting to more and more.

All I have been able to see are a few videos.

Master Shake
03-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I still haven't listened to much of Blackmore's Night, but I've been wanting to more and more.

All I have been able to see are a few videos.

Man those videos are just awful arent they.... *shivers* (unless your talking about the cover i did hehe)
But cool stuff anyway. I really like the instrumental tracks and they are so fun to play, I find that I am starting to play them over the more ermmm distorted guitar.
Still havent finished learning Possum Goes to Prague though. I broke two nails last week so NOT HAPPY! :peace:

I wish I still had time for guitar :(

TheHeartbreaker
04-01-2007, 09:17 AM
You did a cover, did you? Would you mind linking me?

Master Shake
04-01-2007, 09:51 AM
hehe I shouldnt have said that should I :( :D :p: :rolleyes:

Well I will give you the link (and to anyone else for that matter but it will be gone in a few days)

Gone :D

Its a simple piece called () so nothing flashy and the sound isnt the best but it was only for a Christmas pressie. But I finally bought myself an SM57 so no more vids :D

TheHeartbreaker
04-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Not bad.

I enjoyed it, at least, but I haven't heard the "real" song, so I can't really compare. The sound quality was decent enough where I knew what it was supposed to sound like, and it seems to be a nice composition.

The look you give the camera at around the 20 second mark is priceless! :haha

Danne55
04-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I really like that Master Shake! So THAT is you :p:

(Haven't heard the original thogh)

TheHeartbreaker
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Master Shake, are you a girl?

The lighting made it hard for me to tell because it was dark, but it appeared as though you were wearing something on your head with hearts and stars...

Master Shake
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Master Shake, are you a girl?

The lighting made it hard for me to tell because it was dark, but it appeared as though you were wearing something on your head with hearts and stars...

Yes Im a girl ;)
Im surprised it came out so dark though, it was at night but I had the light on. I even lightened? it up.

But cheers guys :cool:

EDIT: :haha the look at 20secs; thats almost Blackmore worthy :D
I must have been really tired

TheHeartbreaker
04-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Sweet.

You're one of the few girls that I know who enjoy bands like Deep Purple and Rainbow, so cheers to you. :cheers:

Danne55
04-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Master Shake's a girl. Now THAT was unexpected. As The Heartbreaker says there is quite unusual to hear a girl like bands like Rainbow and Deep Purple. It's quite rare to see girls acctually play guitar.

Keep it up Master Shake! Cheers! :D

ECistheBest
04-02-2007, 03:58 PM
anybody's cool if they dig materials by Ritchie Blackmore.
He is one of the most aspiring artists out there.
i love his sound. very nice user of a stratocaster.
he took strats to a different world.

Master Shake
04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Master Shake's a girl. Now THAT was unexpected. As The Heartbreaker says there is quite unusual to hear a girl like bands like Rainbow and Deep Purple. It's quite rare to see girls acctually play guitar.

Keep it up Master Shake! Cheers! :D

Hehe cheers and dont I know it :p:
Although I was recording a lady last week and she was pretty good and also liked Rainbow so im not alone!!!!

TheHeartbreaker
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Sexy lady! :D

Danne55
04-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Hehe cheers and dont I know it :p:
Although I was recording a lady last week and she was pretty good and also liked Rainbow so im not alone!!!!
I'm looking forward to your future band and when you tour over the world I'll be standing in the front :D

Master Shake
04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm looking forward to your future band and when you tour over the world I'll be standing in the front :D

haha cheers Danne! I will remember to look out for you in Sweden and I'll even get you a backstage pass so we can chill to Rainbow and pretend its 1976 :p:

Danne55
04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
haha cheers Danne! I will remember to look out for you in Sweden and I'll even get you a backstage pass so we can chill to Rainbow and pretend its 1976 :p:
:D That would be perfect!

And then we could invite a few other Rainbow-fans from UG :p:

TheHeartbreaker
04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Like me! :D

Master Shake
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Big(ish) Rainbow party!! yay! lol and sure you can come too TheHearbreaker ;) :D :haha
I can just see you having a theme riff like in the movies with that nick :p: :cool:

Well we have three at least

Hey I just noticed this thread is almost a year old.... how about that eh? I never thought it would last that long not being the most popular band :)

Cheers to you all

hamett91
04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
What albums would you guys suggest?

Master Shake
04-11-2007, 12:33 AM
What albums would you guys suggest?

Well you cant go wrong with Rising IMO. But every album contains little gems.
The first (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow) lacks somewhat in direction but still has some good tracks but they do a lot more justice live. Long Live Rock N Roll was a slow down in pace from Rising and contains some great guitar work with Gates of Babylon being one of Ritchie's best solos. Down to Earth is somewhat commercial and contains the single (Russ Balard song) Since Youve been gone. The JLT ones (Difficult to Cure, Straight Between the Eyes & Bent out of Shape) are more 'pop rock' AOR sort of stuff but still good as is Stranger in us All which was a ten year break and released at so the wrong time (in the middle of grunge) probably most comparable to the Dio era (Doog's even wanted the mystical lyrics but Blackmore told him to write lyrics that would apeal to girls :p: )

They were very much a live band so Live albums are also good to check out so maybe On Stage would be first to start there (a few have been relased)

But also this is a Ritchie Blackmore solo project pretty much and varys a lot with both personel and style but the sound is always there. There was no less than 20 members and no same line up did more than one CD.

Tom S.
04-11-2007, 05:55 AM
3 days until Ritchie's birthday (and mine). :p:

Danne55
04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Well you cant go wrong with Rising IMO. But every album contains little gems.
The first (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow) lacks somewhat in direction but still has some good tracks but they do a lot more justice live. Long Live Rock N Roll was a slow down in pace from Rising and contains some great guitar work with Gates of Babylon being one of Ritchie's best solos. Down to Earth is somewhat commercial and contains the single (Russ Balard song) Since Youve been gone. The JLT ones (Difficult to Cure, Straight Between the Eyes & Bent out of Shape) are more 'pop rock' AOR sort of stuff but still good as is Stranger in us All which was a ten year break and released at so the wrong time (in the middle of grunge) probably most comparable to the Dio era (Doog's even wanted the mystical lyrics but Blackmore told him to write lyrics that would apeal to girls :p: )

They were very much a live band so Live albums are also good to check out so maybe On Stage would be first to start there (a few have been relased)

But also this is a Ritchie Blackmore solo project pretty much and varys a lot with both personel and style but the sound is always there. There was no less than 20 members and no same line up did more than one CD.

There you go.

All albums are decent however they vary a bit in direction. If you like the Dio songs then it's Rising. Anyway Master Shake covered it.

Master Shake
04-13-2007, 08:24 PM
3 days until Ritchie's birthday (and mine). :p:

Happy Birthday Tom S. :D (really good to see some fellow Aussies here :p: )
And also to Ritchie, 62 today. Also the 10th Aniversary of BN, hopefully we can can see something good this year :)

TheHeartbreaker
04-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Happy Birthday Ritchie! :)

Danne55
04-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Habby birthday Ritchie (and Tom S :p: )

Grimble_Grumble
04-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Geezles i love the intro to Tarot Woman...and Stargazer kicks ass...the first song i ever heard from them was Stargazer i heard it from my friend Matt.....

Happy...birthday..Ritchie!

Master Shake
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
^ Stargazer does indeed kick ass. I heard the whole Rising album together and it was sorta in the background but when I heard Stargazer I was completely blown away. I had sorta lost interest at music at the time so it was kinda a big deal and I remember weeks later still thinking of the riff running through the chorus but i couldnt remember how it went or who even whos song it was :p:

Danne55
04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Stargazer is truly brilliant. Everything in it is great: The tunes, structure, lyrics.

Sadly I have almost overplayed it ... :(

Master Shake
04-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Stargazer is truly brilliant. Everything in it is great: The tunes, structure, lyrics.

Sadly I have almost overplayed it ... :(

yeah, i know the feeling :sad: ive really cut back to listening to it though and still thoroughly enjoy it but it just doesnt have the same impact these days.

Happy Birthday thread :D :D

Danne55
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
366 days long today. Over a year!!! Can't believe this is true. I'd never thought this thread could have lasted this long!

Don't kill it now :p: Keep it up everybody :D

TheHeartbreaker
04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Geezles i love the intro to Tarot Woman...and Stargazer kicks ass...the first song i ever heard from them was Stargazer i heard it from my friend Matt.....

That was my first song by them too (besides Man on the Silver Mountain, but that was before I knew who Rainbow was).

My friend Raoul showed it to me. :)

I recently showed it to this girl I know and she thought it was the most amazing thing she's ever heard.

TheHeartbreaker
08-07-2007, 10:08 AM
*BUMP*

Well, it appears as though the few people who keep this thread alive haven't been around lately.

:(

So, I was at the store yesterday and came across Rainbow Live in Munich 1977, and simply based upon the setlist and length of the songs I thought that it'd be something I should pcik up soon.

Does anyone own this album, and if so, recommend it?

Mellow Gold
08-08-2007, 04:37 AM
The live in Munich this is just ok. When the band is playing together it's really amazing, but they went way over board with the solos. Right before every song Ritchie plays a five minute. Later you get a obnoxus moog solo and after that is an even more obnoxus drum solo.