Great Virtually Unknown Songs by Hugely Popular Classic Rock Bands

PDA

View Full Version : Great Virtually Unknown Songs by Hugely Popular Classic Rock Bands

Maet
04-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Title says it all. What are some great songs from massively popular classic rock bands that almost no one seems to know?

For my obligatory Rush example, everyone knows YYZ, Fly By Night and Tom Sawyer, but how many people know about Show Don't Tell, Ceiling Unlimited, Where's My Thing (another great instrumental) or even Force Ten?

AICriff008
04-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Where's My Thing has to be one of my favorite rock instrumentals of all time, love the funkiness of it, nto to mention great bass by Lee (like usual)!

Some others that I can think of would be Mr. Banker by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Trans Am by Neil Young, Ventilator Blues by The Stones and Sail Away by the Allmans.

xSepulturax
04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
A lot of Who fans i know havent heard "The Seeker" which is the greatest.

"Demons Eye" is a great song by Deep Purple really all of "Fireball" kicks ass.People generally only have heard "Machine Head"

thats all i can think of

ź├Fire¤nside╗
04-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Moonlight Mile - Rolling Stones

Infinite-Reason
04-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Im Bad, Im Nationwide - ZZ Top
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Zeppelin

ZoSoII_13
04-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Cripple Creek Ferry- Neil Young
A Quick One While He's Away- an unknown to non Who fans
Holiday Inn- Elton John
Wishbone Ash in general
Bring It On Home- Led Zeppelin
Funk #48-not 49 Joe Walsh

ufossuck
04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Jesus Just Left Chicago - ZZ Top, it's one of their best too.

GeetarsAreRock
04-19-2006, 12:54 AM
I totally agree with "Jesus Just Left Chicago". I also love "Baker Street Muse" by Jethro Tull and pretty much anything by Frank Zappa. I guess Zappa's just too weird for much airplay.

Rhinosaur Bones
04-19-2006, 05:00 AM
Obscured By Clouds - Pink Floyd

Cptbeefheart
04-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Spirit in the Night- Bruce Springsteen.

I don't know if he is hugely popular, but absolutley nobody i know knows about this song. IMO, its one of his top 20 best.

Froddy
04-19-2006, 04:24 PM
There's this Led Zep song called Stairway to Heaven, it's pretty good but relatively unknown :confused:

Anywhooo, on a more serious note I agree with Ventilator Blues by the Stones, a pure classic IMO.

danocaster
04-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Pretty much the whole album Obscured by Clouds by Pink Floyd is incredibly unknown/excellent

Tenacious Me
04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Mama Kin-Aerosmith isnt to well known.

The Iron Man
04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Most black sabbath songs are great and unknown.

AICriff008
04-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Another one...Bob Dylan's Down in the Flood...great song, both on "The Basement Tapes" and the acoustic one off of "Greatest Hits II".

djjowr
04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Yer blues, performed by Lennon's "Dirty Mac"...clapton, richards, mitch mitchell, can't go wrong

Hanzi_G
04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
The Prophet's Song by Queen could have been a huge song if it was ever released...

FreddieMercury
04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
The Prophet's Song by Queen could have been a huge song if it was ever released...

100% agree amazing song

AustinPrince13
04-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Achilles Last Stand - - - Led Zeppelin
oh yeah and The Man who Sold The World by David Bowie all that indian stuff in their was cool

TimiHendrix33
04-20-2006, 05:21 PM
The album Meddle by Pink Floyd. Other than Echoes,most songs are relatively unknown.

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Pretty much the whole album Obscured by Clouds by Pink Floyd is incredibly unknown/excellent
1. I agree 160 %
2. where the hell have you been?

JackWhite1988
04-20-2006, 08:56 PM
there are so many hidden gem tracks to list, especially coming from my vast collection but I'd have to say the top 10 best "gems" would be:

1. "Bron Yr Aur Stomp" "The Rover" "No Quarter" - Led Zeppelin
The third album is the most underrated Zep album and this song here proves why. The guitar work and that backbeat with a great chorus is hard to go un-noticed. As for the other two...two colorful songs that again affirm and remind us how great this band is not just on the surface. Page was a master at his craft...I mean for christs sake we're talking about a band that will go down as one of the best.

2. "Pictures of Home" "Anyone's Daughter" "Mistreated"- Deep Purple
I have no idea why these never received much airplay in the States. It stinks of electric guitar. Deep Purple is probably the most underrated classic rock bands with only a handful of radio hits (that most people only know of). Ritchie Blackmore's playing opened doors for me in terms of guitar playing.

3. "Backstreets" "Murder Incorporated" "Racing in the Street" - Bruce Springsteen
Bruce probably has one of the most extensive back catalogs in rock history. He has a certain connection with his fans and his fans know all of this mans songs. But to the radio friendly only Bruce audience who know Born to Run, Born in the U.S.A., Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark aren't going to know these songs. These songs are great...simple.

4. "Sheep" "One of These Days" "Obscured By Clouds" - Pink Floyd
The bad thing with this band is the fact that they became so succesful in a short period of time, that all the work leading up to the breakthrough became irrelevant. The Syd Barrett era is totally worthy of mention.

5. "Midnight Rambler" "Far Away Eyes" "One Hit (to the body)" - The Rolling Stones
Here is a band that has had so much success and so many hits that you kind of wonder if there was anything that wasn't a hit...here are a few. These are 3 of many songs by this band that you could have easily substituted in for a "Miss You", "Paint it Black" or "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and still get the same draw. Brilliant band, not much more that needs to be re-established.

6. "Let Me Go (Rock & Roll)" "Unholy" "Cold Gin" - KISS
To say that KISS was a band of musicians would be a bit of false information however I believe that their catalog has been highly overlooked and many of us know them for three songs. As much as KISS has profited from merchadise, I can see why people wouldn't even care to listen to their music. KISS has some good rock songs folks and they are in the top 10 because it needs to be made clear that their marketing pitch's aside...they are the hottest band on earth for a reason. Overrated legacy, Underrated gems

7. "Entre Nous" "Bastille Day" "Farewell to Kings" - Rush
Just an overall outstanding band. These need to be considered.

8. "Rats in the Cellar" "Toys in the Attic" "Sick as a Dog" - Aerosmith

9. "Civil War" "One in a Million" "It's So Easy" - Guns & Roses

10. "Sin City" "Beating Around the Bush" "Kissin' Dynamite" - AC/DC

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
8. "Rats in the Cellar" "Toys in the Attic" "Sick as a Dog" - Aerosmith Rats in the Cellar is without a doubt, one of the best live songs ever, not to mention a great song as it was in the studio. Anything from the Rocks album is amazing. Aerosmith's best IMO.

private
04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Obscured By Clouds - Pink Floyd

Yeah that's my favourite album that came out before Dark Side

wilty00
04-20-2006, 10:14 PM
High Hopes- Pink Floyd

Minkin
04-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Led Zeppelin - Your time is gonna come.

Not even my greatest Led Zeppelin friends have heard of this song..
Its got a great Organ solo thing at the beginning then moves into a really good riff...

Bob Dylan - The Hurricane...

Fairly unheard of... It has great violin work.

For some reason, a lot of people haven't heard of any of the songs on Animals by Pink Floyd.... which is odd, because Sheep is one of my favorite Floyd songs...

Emerson Lake and Palmer... the entire band is very unheard of....

That's about all I can think of.

04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
before my old computer fried i had a couple of songs that i cant find anymore

la villa strangiata-rush (instrumental)
i also had a demo done by led zeppelin, it was(technically) the demo version of bron-y-aur stomp but it was much more bluesy and only the main riff was really the same

another song people dont know is heart of the sunrise by yes

Stacked Actors
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Obscured By Clouds > Every other Pink Floyd Album

wangmaster
04-21-2006, 08:05 AM
what happens tommorrow- Duran Duran lol

bink2112
04-21-2006, 08:32 AM
The Fountain of Lamneth-Rush
The Necromancer-Rush
Rivendell-Rush
What You're Doing-Rush
Circumstances-Rush

Pretty much every thing by Rush in between Fly By Night and Moving pictures. Those guys really wrote some breakthrough prog stuff.

jon3782001
04-21-2006, 09:07 AM

i'll second that

Iruleeverything
04-21-2006, 01:44 PM
outside woman blues- cream
world of pain - cream
slip kid - the who
my wife - the who

I could think of tons more but I don't want to right now

danocaster
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
1. I agree 160 %
2. where the hell have you been?

Oh, you know, the real world. ;)

Hanzi_G
04-21-2006, 05:50 PM
i'll second that

Well, technically, you third it, because someone else has already agreed with me. :p:

zeldar
04-21-2006, 05:56 PM
anything by Angel Witch, great classic prog band that nobody has really ever heard of

ź├Fire¤nside╗
04-21-2006, 09:03 PM
there are so many hidden gem tracks to list, especially coming from my vast collection but I'd have to say the top 10 best "gems" would be:

9. "Civil War" - Guns & Roses

Unreal song, one of my favourites.

CornLord
04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
A lot of Who fans i know havent heard "The Seeker" which is the greatest.
I LOVE that song!

BrainDamage
04-21-2006, 09:41 PM
^^so do I. Freaking rocking.

Obscured By Clouds > Every other Pink Floyd Album well, it's a great album, but I wouldn't go that far...

Circumstances-Rush one of my favorite Rush songs.

Oh, you know, the real world. ;) :p:

ZoSoII_13
04-21-2006, 11:19 PM
The Seeker is amazing. Nice to see you again Danocaster

edit: it is amazing not isnt.

taxman27
04-22-2006, 02:20 AM
"I've Had Enough" and "Sea and Sand" by The Who are two that I think are excellent. Also, "Sway" by The Rolling Stones (not 1, but 2 awesome guitar solos), "Rocks Off" by The Rolling Stones" (How is this never mentioned when Keith's greatest riffs are discussed?), "Pillow of Winds" and "Fearless" by Pink Floyd, and lastly, "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" by The Beatles (Probably one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard)

dionysus85
04-22-2006, 06:34 AM
pink floyd - cymbaline
bob dylan - blind willie mctell
rolling stones - no expectations

distilledspirit
04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Starship Trooper - Yes

sinan90
04-22-2006, 11:32 AM
anything by cream pretty much aprt from their hits - sunshine of your love, white room etc

Angus76
04-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Not a lot of people talk about Back In the U.S.S.R. by the beatles, I love that song.

KingBrendan5149
04-22-2006, 02:34 PM
tons of stuff by The Velvet Underground is pretty unknown to people who aren't familiar with the group. most people haven't even heard of them...

paintITblack39
04-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Rain by the Beatles
Apeman by The Kinks
Come Dancing by The Kinks

EDIT:
tons of stuff by The Velvet Underground is pretty unknown to people who aren't familiar with the group. most people haven't even heard of them...

Yeah Velvet Underground is very unknown but very influential. Heroin and Venus Furs are great song by them as well as Who Loves the Sun.

kep189
04-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Tea for One- Led Zeppelin