Solo Floyd

PDA

View Full Version : Solo Floyd

SomeEvilDude
04-19-2006, 03:07 PM
So, what with all recent hype about Gilmour's new album, I thought I'd make a thread dedicated to the rest of them you know? Obviously Gilmours count, but they're not exclusive. So, what solo albums by members of Pink Floyd have you guys got/heard, and what did you think?

I've got Madcap Laughs and Wouldn't You Miss Me?, by Syd, Broken China by Rick, all of Rogers', and On An Island and the self-titled, by Gilmour.
Broken China is pretty good. Definately worth listening to, and a few really good tracks on it. To be honest, I was very dissapointed with both Gilmour and Waters' solo albums until the most recent ones (On An Island and Amused To Death), which is quite surprising given what they're capable of.
Syd's are... well, Syd's. They're great, but certainly not for everyone.

thecool
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
I've always liked Syd's solo career the best, the rest of them fall kinda flat too me. The only exception is Gilmours new album which is great.

AICriff008
04-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Eh, one I would definately avoid is Roger Waters' Radio K.A.O.S...

*ugh*

Not much, but thats all I really had to add lol.

Owen_W
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I love Radio K.A.O.S. it's my favourite out of any of the Floyd-solo material.

AICriff008
04-19-2006, 08:16 PM
It's practically just a concept album of 80's "progressive" synth pop, weird sound-scape instrumentals and synth ballads mixed in with that weird radio-boy narrative...eh not my stuff.

AWA
04-19-2006, 09:31 PM
The pros and cons of hitch-hiking ftw

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Gilmour- I love all of his solo stuff. His guitar skills really show in all three of his albums.

Waters- I only have Amused to Death and a live Pros and Cons. Pros and Cons is ok, I need to give it a few more listens. Amused to Death didn't impress me too much, but I've only listened to it once or twice.

Wright- haven't heard anything.

Barrett- to be completely honest, I haven't heard anything.

Gin_Rummy
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Gilmour- I love all of his solo stuff. His guitar skills really show in all three of his albums.

I agree. I really liked Gilmour's self-titled album and his latest of course (I haven't heard About Face though).

prsfloyd
04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Gilmour on Leno last night was great!

Go to the tonight show website and you can watch him play Wish You Were Here too.

Sounded as good as ever.

MountainJam
04-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I love Syd's solo stuff and like David's (I havent heard On an Island yet) but I can't stand Roger Waters stuff its to preachy and depressing don't think his solo songs have lyrics that compare to his Pink Floyd material.