I dont know what to do with these guys

PDA

View Full Version : I dont know what to do with these guys

Rising
04-19-2006, 04:33 PM
hey, my band has been asked to play a show in school along with other bands

we said yes, so today we brought out gear to school just to practice songs eh ?
well my bassist says ''lets warm up with cowboys from hell'' and my bassist played it ok i guess but my rythm guy ****ed and didnt know half of it

then we play master of puppets, my bassist got it, but my rythm cant handle the mad down picking and doesnt know how to do the clean part of the song.
we searched around in what we know and had pretty much no songs COMPLETELY down, it was a **** practice jam.

what can you do when you have a show in 9 days, and your guys cant play songs properly ?

i was thinking about playing ''Surfing with the alien'' by Joe Satriani, it's an instrumental so it gives me a break from having to tackle guitar and vocals.

but do you think the rythm guitar for surfing is too hard for a guy who cant play all of master of puppets or cowboys from hell.

And is it too hard for the bass ? any bass players out there who can play it let me know.

P.S : it's not that theyre not good, but theyre just not as dedicated and just not tight together when playing.

cool#9
04-19-2006, 04:45 PM
well, one, you need a better person playing rhythem, two, yea, play surfing with the alien

TheNthDimension
04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe sort out some songs so you all know them before you go into practice? (As in, have looked at your part)

SG thrasher
me and my band had one day to get a song done, we did TNT by AC/DC, it was offtime and stuff but it was our first performance so we didnt care.

whatamidoinhere
sounds like your best option to not look like a fool is to back out of the gig...not an ideal opstion but it might save some face

splice
04-19-2006, 04:57 PM
surfing with the alien isnt hard on rythm at all....he could handle it im guessing....i dk about the bass either but it dont seem too tough either but im no bass player

good choice tho if you play the lead right and everything comes together right youll be treated like a king

Rising
04-19-2006, 04:57 PM
well, one, you need a better person playing rhythem, two, yea, play surfing with the alien
id rather not get rid of him, he's a good friend and we've both played guitar with each other for a long time, ive just been more into it and started playing earlier than him anyway

Rising
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM
surfing with the alien isnt hard on rythm at all....he could handle it im guessing....i dk about the bass either but it dont seem too tough either but im no bass player

good choice tho if you play the lead right and everything comes together right youll be treated like a king
yea, but im not too crazy about the first solo, where he's tapping ''22-( 19 to 12 )''

so ill try inventing some lead for it, but ill try playing the lead for the second solo which is a good one

Rising
04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
i dunno if theres a way i can get him to really practice his playing before the show which is in 9 days now

rathmusbass
04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
earache my eye - cheech and chong or KoRn's version
walk - pantera
seek and destroy - metallica

there, three songs that are fun to play that crowds love that are easy on rhythm and lead and bass and drums

=-p =-)

morgan
04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
My band learned The beggining of "A Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater (Crimson Sunrise) in one practice, played it a week later at a show. We even learned our parts that day at practice, no outside work had been done, but we know the song well.

So they should be able to tighten up the two songs you described in 9 days time, even if they work half-ass at it.

Its a little late to get together "Surfing with an Alien" when you already have most of the other two songs down.

Just finish those two songs.

Nyne
04-20-2006, 05:28 PM
You guys accepted a gig at school without even having a group of people who can play?