The Great Debate! (aka:Organized Classic Rock Bickering Thread)

PDA

View Full Version : The Great Debate! (aka:Organized Classic Rock Bickering Thread)

Maet
04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Two threads in two days (sue me).

Anyway, as far as I know (and I'm fairly sure most people would agree with me on this), your average discussion in the classic rock forum consists of:

n00b1 - _______ r0xorzz!!1 _______ sux!1
n00b2 - n0, _______ sux!!21 _______ r0x12

(So on and so forth in this manner for a few posts)

Mod - (witty comment) *closed* (or in rare cases, the thread gets back on track)

That's an exaggeration of course, but you get the idea.

What I would **like** to try to do is give this forum a booster of intelligence by actually attempting to set up a designated thread (like oh... say... This One!!) for educated debates and arguements.

And having said that, I present to you, the fine CRF (classic rock forum) Goers...

The Great Debate!(aka: The Organized Classic Rock Bickering Thread)

Your basic debate would have a topic, two sides discussing that topic (affirmative and negative), a mediator/moderator, a limit, judges and rebuttle. Of course this would be bloody hard, so I'm thinking of setting it up like so...

Sample
Topic: Is Jimmy Page a "Great" Guitarist?

Affirmative: UGer#1, UGer#2, UGer#3

Negative: UGerA. UGerB. UGerC

Panel/Judges/Jury: CRexpert#1, CRexpert#2, CRexpert#3

**Designated Mediator/Moderator to step in when necessary **

Limit: 35 Posts in which the teams will present and cross examine arguments before the Panel/Judges/Jury decide which team wins.

A new topic.

I know this may seem a bit weird and people may not like it, but for the time being, I would like to leave this thread for comments, suggestions, support and tweaking. And hopefully if this seems like a good idea in the eyes of the powers that be (*cough*MODS*cough*), I would like to know if I have the go ahead to make this wild crazy e-dream of mine a reality from one of you fine gents with actual power.

Thanks. :cheers:

~Maet

EDIT -- Does anyone else think it's cool how italics actually correct the natural slant of the pound sign? :p:

phoenix_88
04-19-2006, 07:09 PM
for a minute I was excited thinking this thread was about Dream Theater.

now im dissapointed.

Maet
04-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You're in the wrong forum for Dream Theater anyway.

Stop Messin'
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Classic Rock is King in my eyes. Period. I couldn't give 2 ****s if some emo kids likes Zeppelin or not. What matters is what YOU like.

phoenix_88
04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
still.

Nirvana_RATM2
04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Its far too organized for the UG community besides stuff like that is never decided man.

Tenacious Me
04-19-2006, 07:14 PM
OK what is first

TimiHendrix33
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Tim will start it off (why do I talk in third person?)

Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band ever like VH1 says?

Tenacious Me
04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
No.

Maet
04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this takes anywhere from a few days to a week or two before this is set up in a desirable way.

Like I said, for now I just want this thread to be used for comments and suggestions before people start initiating there own debates and this thread becomes a big mess, so please offer some sort of constructive criticism and/or suggestions, or just don't post at all.

imburningstar4
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
no definitely not

KingBrendan5149
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Tim will start it off (why do I talk in third person?)

Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band ever like VH1 says?

i'll be a negative on this debate.

Andrewbiles
04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I like the idea, just don't think it'll work because of the amount of people who seem to sit on the main page looking for threads and inputting utter bollocks.
You can give it a shot, there's no harm in that, just pick decent people that you know will have the time to read the posts to be the judges.

Maet
04-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I like the idea, just don't think it'll work because of the amount of people who seem to sit on the main page looking for threads and inputting utter bollocks.
You can give it a shot, there's no harm in that, just pick decent people that you know will have the time to read the posts to be the judges.

Thanks for the support. I was actually just mulling it over the shower, and came to some conclusions...

1. People who want to suggest topics can do so as they see fit in this thread.
2. People who want to debate can also volunteer in this thread as well.
3. People who want to mediate and judge/evaluate arguements will PM me if they want to be taken seriously, and consequently will not volunteer in this thread.
4. The time limit in which to arguement and debate will be subject to tweaking, but I'm thinking an official start and stop time of about a week, and a two day span in which the jury/panel will read over the arguemnts before posting a final verdict.
5. The judges and mediator will not be able to post/comment/join in on debates at all ever!
6. The mediator is only there to supervise and as with the judges, will not be able to post/comment/join in on the debate.
7. Myself and the mods and mediator are the only people who decide when debates start and stop.
8. To simplify the evaluation process, as soon as the debate officially ends, I'll take every post made concerning the argument, and compress it into a few posts (not alter the posts, just sticking them in one easy to read, albeit 'large', post)

EDIT -- As it stands, we'll use Tim's topic he suggested for the first debate.

Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band ever?

KingBrendan5149 has volunteered to be on the negative side, and so far no ones yet on the affirmative side. Post if you want to volunteer to debate, and send me a PM if you want to judge/mediate!

I'll be updating this post with new information as it comes.

Topic: Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band ever?

Affirmative:

Negative:
1. KingBrendan5149

Mediator: deadhead313313

Judges: PM if you're interested!

Edit -- deadhead313313 just signed up to mediate. Still looking for affirmative teamsters and a judge or two.

rocknroll blues
04-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd like to take the negative side on this one, but if weeks and weeks pass and you really need someone to be positive then I suppose for the sake of promoting this I could jump to the affirmative side.

Cirrus Minor
04-19-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't think they were that great. Technical skill, maybe, but creativity and just producing good and interesting music in general, there are plenty of better bands. Ten Years Gone, Stairway, Over the Hills, Since I Been Lovin You are all great songs though. Their lyrics are pretty sub-par, and many of their songs just lack meaning. (Unlike the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground)

That is completely my opinion, so whatever, I still respect them.

xSepulturax
04-19-2006, 11:50 PM
naaa

thecool
04-20-2006, 12:15 AM
They are without a doubt the greatest band ever. Theyre the closest thing ever, to a perfect rock group.

jono034
04-20-2006, 04:16 AM
alright. . . PM me with your ideas and we will discuss what happens. I dont like the idea of "debates" about music because they usually go to absolute ****. But if you PM me and talk me into it, we will see.

:peace: