Hotel California

PDA

View Full Version : Hotel California

twistedsister
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
I heard somewhere that Hotel California was about the devil and worshipping satan and drugs. Is this true? If not, what is the song really about?

FadingRoots
04-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Nah, it's probably about nothing in particular, beyond what the lyrics say. I dont know for certain what it IS about, but I know it's no more about the devil than Take It Easy is.

thegreatindoors
04-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Henley has said that it is about excess, however it seems it is widely open to intetpretation

Vindicator
04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
try looking it up on wikipedia...quite a few interesting assumptions...

PatrickJR
04-20-2006, 10:24 AM
I never did think that. It's Just Hotel California, a great song, that probally doesn't mean shi*

Jesse Mrau
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Some say it was about cocaine addiction.

TimiHendrix33
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
^Some say :rolleyes:

I think it's just about what the lyrics say....

PatrickJR
04-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Agree. It's all in peoples minds that there is a secrete message and what not. I don't believe none of it unless the artists says so. I mean, you can say it about any song. Why can't the lyrics mean what they mean, no matter how weird that are. If ever Lyric that didn't make sense had a secrete message then the R.H.C.P. have more then anyone!

SpringingOff
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
The song's just about a hotel where this dude checks in, and then he can't escape. He tries to escape, but he realizes that's he's now a part of that hotel forever, and then he corporates with the devil.
One of the members said that in an early interview.

BTW, the drummer is singing that song, right? My brother says that one of the guitar players sings it, but I'm quite sure it's the drummer. Because first of all, I've read somewhere that the drummer sings that song, and secondly, I saw a music video on VH1 for that song and the drummer was singing. I'm just not like TOTTALLY sure?

Dæmönika
04-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought it was, not so much an attack, but it was impugning the music industry of that area at the time. Hence signing up to "Hotel California" and not being able to leave or get away.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah there are satanic messgaes if you play it backwards, apparently. I did it but didn't find anything- DON'T JUDGE ME.

Tenacious Me
04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Its all like the story about Stairway.

Shaman's Blues
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Hotel California is a real hotel, believe it or not.

CFlydn9
04-20-2006, 09:01 PM
I just thought it was aobut a gut who goes to a hotel and cant leave............

floppy_dan
04-20-2006, 09:10 PM
the meaning of every song is just in the mind of the listener. the writer might have some meaning to it for him but it might mean something completely different to someone else. it just depends on how you relate to the song

Bmm386
04-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I'd think it was about an addiction of some sort.

Dog Eat Dog
04-21-2006, 12:04 AM
BTW, the drummer is singing that song, right? My brother says that one of the guitar players sings it, but I'm quite sure it's the drummer. Because first of all, I've read somewhere that the drummer sings that song, and secondly, I saw a music video on VH1 for that song and the drummer was singing. I'm just not like TOTTALLY sure?

I think i was Don Henley (guitarist) who sung that song, The drummer probably does backing vocals, I know he sings backing on "Life in the fast line"

04-21-2006, 01:10 AM
don henley was the drummer, not the guitarist

and he did sing a lot of their songs

barfy2000
04-21-2006, 04:50 PM
don henley was the drummer, not the guitarist

and he did sing a lot of their songs

They all play the guitar.

GnRrelease_it
04-21-2006, 11:04 PM
A Theory I Once Heard:
a guy has a near-death experience and is stuck in a coma (Hotel California) that he cant "check" out of.

a stretch, i know, but interesting if you listen to the whole thing with that in mind.

04-22-2006, 02:29 AM

if they were all playing guitar, who was playing drums?

Jesse Mrau
04-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Every member of The Eagles could play any of the instruments to some extent. But Don Henley is primarily the drummer.

dionysus85
04-22-2006, 09:28 AM
curious; could a song ever be written, where what is said is what its about and nothing more,
IMO its just a story, and the words tell exactly that
"you can check out any time you like but can never leave", is probably just a cool phrase they came up with while writing it, a open-ending to leave the listener wanting more
read a book, they do the same thing at the end of many

rayIII
04-22-2006, 12:40 PM
the whole thing about hotel california being about satan was that when you play a part backwards, it says something like "satan had me believe"

EDIT: here it is: http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

barfy2000
04-22-2006, 01:44 PM
if they were all playing guitar, who was playing drums?

I didn't necessarily mean on that track. Henley did play guitar on some tracks though.

Danne55
04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
The song's just about a hotel where this dude checks in, and then he can't escape. He tries to escape, but he realizes that's he's now a part of that hotel forever

Can there be a parallell between this and drug addiction... ;) Read the lyrics. It is mostly metaphors for drug addiction. I believe the "Hotel California" is the drug.

Dog Eat Dog
04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I think i was Don Henley (guitarist) who sung that song, The drummer probably does backing vocals, I know he sings backing on "Life in the fast line"

Whoops i ****ed that up. I believe Don Henley played guitar on hotel california aswell.

YlwThunder87
04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
This song is about drugs imo, probably acid. A few tidbits that suggest this "there were voices down the corridor", "some dance to forget", "and still those voices are calling from far away", "we are all just prisoners here of our own device", "they just can't kill the beast", "running to the door.... passage back to the place I was before.... you can check out any time you like but you can never leave".

Calum_Barrow
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I didn't necessarily mean on that track. Henley did play guitar on some tracks though.
He plays guitar with them now anyway, they have someone else on drums.

And Dog Eat Dog, The three guitarists playing on Hotel California are Don Felder (with the EDS-1275), Joe Walsh (with the Tele) and Glenn Frey (acoustic?) IIRC, with Randy Meisner on bass. Henly only plays drums on the track I'm sure.

I love that song though. One of my favourite songs of all time. I hope they play it when I go see them this year.

get-born
04-24-2006, 08:00 PM
i think its drug addiction, the lyrics really go more with that...

AC/zeppelin/DC
04-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Its about a drug addiction....if you read it closely, there are numerous references to drugs and the Hotel California is the drug addiction, "its such a lovely place" and you can never check out.

We went through the song for like 1 hour in english class one day, I love my english teacher!

Dog Eat Dog
04-25-2006, 01:15 AM
And Dog Eat Dog, The three guitarists playing on Hotel California are Don Felder (with the EDS-1275), Joe Walsh (with the Tele) and Glenn Frey (acoustic?) IIRC, with Randy Meisner on bass. Henly only plays drums on the track I'm sure.

OK thanks. also when are you going to see them (what date)?

Calum_Barrow
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
26th June at the MEN

Dog Eat Dog
04-26-2006, 03:29 AM
^That would be great. Have fun!

opera_jade
04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Okay, i've heard that the original group (without joe walsh) was apart of a satanic cult, but didn't know what it was for a long time, and when they finally found out, they got out of it REAL quick. But... that's just what i've heard.

Pharoah
04-26-2006, 05:12 PM
It's at www.snopes.com

Hotel California was the only thing I listened to last week O_o

TwistedLogic
04-26-2006, 06:30 PM
my guess is that the song is about infidelity in marriage or a serious relationship. NOt to hard to see it in that way if you take the lyrics literally. The whole devil thing is stupid.

it is not about drugs. Lets look at the lyrics;
Her mind is tiffany-twisted, she got the mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

The above could refer to a rich woman (mercedes) with lots of pretty boys who she plays with in her spare time making sweet summer sweat. Some dance to remember.... could refer those who wish to feel love (remember) or to forget about a troubled relationship ( to forget)

Next:
?we haven?t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine?
Sixty nine; as in the sexual position, of which I am a big fan

Next:
They livin? it up at the hotel california
What a nice surprise, bring your alibis

Alibis: as in needing a good story to tell your wife or girlfriend about where you have been lately.

Next:
Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said ?we are all just prisoners here, of our own device?

Mirrors in the ceiling is classic 70's sex reference and the part of being prisoners is the need to feel love. Prisoner of the desire to be needed.

Next:
?relax,? said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

This part ( you can never leave ) could refer to the issue of those who have been unfaithful in a relationship are tied to the lies that they have to tell their wives or girlfriend. Tell a lie, well you better remember it because you are going to have to repeat it for a long time, so get it right and stick to the first lie.

Ozp
04-26-2006, 07:14 PM
The drummer was singing when i saw them playing Hotel California on TOTP2. i'm not really sure what the lyrics mean, i just like listening to songs and get the feeling from the music as a whole rather than deciphering the lyrics.

guitarfreak79
04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
i think that its a great song and that when you are listening to a great song nothing else matters

IronMurph
04-26-2006, 09:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California_%28song%29
There you go.

TwistedLogic
04-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Neat, never saw that Wikepedia thing before. Although I do not trust the info on that site it is neat to see. I could see the drug references but am a little surprised that the song is only about rock and roll and drugs.