Buddy Guy

PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Guy

UNIe
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
He's coming to our city and I'll probably go to his concert. Are here any fans of him? Maybe someone could say something about his live performances or recomend some albums to listen to?

RhoadsSRV8290
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Blues Singer is excellent. So is Damn Right I Got the Blues.

SuburbanCowboy
04-20-2006, 01:18 PM

X2

Blues Singer is all acoustic, but it's still a great album. The only other BG album I have is the Greatest Hits. Which, of course, I highly recommend.

UNIe
04-20-2006, 01:58 PM
X2

Blues Singer is all acoustic, but it's still a great album. The only other BG album I have is the Greatest Hits. Which, of course, I highly recommend.

Well, I personally hate All gratest hits albums. So, I'll probably listen to "Damn Right, I Got The Blues" then.

dr_john
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
'feels like rain' is another good album, also 'the real deal' (live album).

i saw him about 5 years ago here in the uk, i was a bit disappointed as he tended to clown around instead of playing some good blues. still, the man is a legend and not to be missed if you get the chance.

SuburbanCowboy
04-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, I personally hate All gratest hits albums. So, I'll probably listen to "Damn Right, I Got The Blues" then.

I kinda know what you mean. The songs on a Greatest Hits album just dont flow together properly like a norman album release does. But its still the best way to get an overall taste of a performer.

You should also check out his new album, Bring 'Em In. It will give you a taste of his modern, more mellowed-out sound. Which is what you're most likely going to hear when you see him live. It also has great guest spots by John Mayer, Keith Richards, and Carlos Santana. But anyway, you're lucky you get to see him live. Have fun :cheers:

smokeebunny
05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
'feels like rain' is another good album, also 'the real deal' (live album).

i saw him about 5 years ago here in the uk, i was a bit disappointed as he tended to clown around instead of playing some good blues. still, the man is a legend and not to be missed if you get the chance.
Yeah when he came to my town, in two hours, he managed to play like seven songs, and i wish he played more of his stuff, but i was still impressed.

ledhed68
05-03-2006, 08:07 AM
his performances are amazing, during one song, he broke a string during a solo and he ajusted to it lightning fast, one of the best shows ive gone to

tossom
05-03-2006, 08:47 AM
When I saw Buddy play he apologised if he wasn't on top form as he had the flu, he was still amazing!

I think Damn Right is my favourite album, liking Sweet Tea just now though.

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM

I love Damn Right I've Got the Blues.

king_harvest88
05-03-2006, 06:28 PM
heh, not only is buddy guy awesome, i also love to play stuff in the style of him, just 'cause my natural style is very similar, obviously im not as good, but thats only 'cause buddy is godly(and i rather suck)

anyway, as for buying a cd or something, go into a local cd shop or something and you can usually find cheapo compilations for like 3 pounds, best part about this is that it'll be mostly old stuff, which i just prefer, though all buddy guy is top.

The Master Plan
05-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I have a boot leg dvd of him playing 3 shows one with Clapton. On most of em you can say he's unpredictable during songs, he doesnt even know what he's gonna say until he says it and also he's unpredictable guitar wise. Id love to see him live.

AICriff008
05-06-2006, 12:12 AM
He puts on a good live show, yeah he does tend to joke around and talk, but it still makes for a fun night. When I saw him a few months ago, during a long blues jam he just walked alone into the crowd, sat in a seat next to some dude and did some soloing, then walked up to this kid in the audience. He asked him if he played guitar and would like to go on stage and play with him! the kid was like "yeah I play" but he was left-handed, and Buddy only had rights...sucks ass for that kid though!

...now THAT would have been a godly moment...jamming with Buddy Guy...

I'd say definately go see him, totally worth it.

TNfootballfan62
05-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I've had many people tell me that he is AMAZING live. You'll definitely enjoy yourself if you like the blues at all.

TheHeartbreaker
05-06-2006, 08:12 AM
He puts on a good live show, yeah he does tend to joke around and talk, but it still makes for a fun night. When I saw him a few months ago, during a long blues jam he just walked alone into the crowd, sat in a seat next to some dude and did some soloing, then walked up to this kid in the audience. He asked him if he played guitar and would like to go on stage and play with him! the kid was like "yeah I play" but he was left-handed, and Buddy only had rights...sucks ass for that kid though!

...now THAT would have been a godly moment...jamming with Buddy Guy...

I'd say definately go see him, totally worth it.

That's sweet.

I've always wanted to do something like that - go play onstage with somebuddy (no pun intended) and just jam.

I've also always wanted to go to a Green Day concert, boo the **** out of them, and then get sent on stage to battle that douche bag Billie Joe Armstrong, and own his pansy-emo ass.

UNIe
05-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Damn, now I Really want to go to that concert, but the problem is that my friend, who was supposed to go with me, won't go and my other friends just don't like blues at all :( It's so f*ckin' painstaking! and going alone isn't very fun :(

IrishBlues
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey TheHeartbreaker we have the same dream.

mike26
05-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Damn Right I've Got the Blues is just awesome, I love it. I've never had the chance to see him in concert but I'm praying that I do sometime.

dr_john
05-07-2006, 05:05 PM
i just saw today that buddy is touring the uk in july supporting jeff beck. might just have to check that out.

meanwhile eric clapton is playing nottingham next week which is about 20 miles down the road from where i live, but at 50 a seat (about $90 US) i would rather watch paint dry which would be much more interesting judging by his last album (back home).

:cheers:

TheHeartbreaker
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
^^Mind if I stay at your house over the summer?

...And I don't mean just for the music. ;)

Also, anyone have any more info on the rumor that Clapton might do something (along the lines of a "super-band") with the great Derek Trucks?

~AdNy
05-08-2006, 08:22 PM
yeah i love buddy guy. i have only his newest album though, Bring Em In, which i love. hes also on my Crossroads DVD, jamming with clapton, bb king, etc. hes a great perfermer. i missed him last time he came around, ive been kicking myself ever since.

Stinging_Acid
05-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Bring Em IN was pretty decent, so was Blues Singer, his all acoustic album.

ToBeAGooner
05-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Buddy Guy is a god. Be thankful you are getting the chance to see him live. Words cant describe his guitar playing.

jp141
05-14-2006, 10:09 AM
He's awesome... the album "sweet tea" is also worth getting