How to fill a set list

PDA

View Full Version : How to fill a set list

Mr.Rodgers
04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey guys. I have a gig coming up soon, and I was wondering how I could fill out the set-list. We have an hour to play (quite long), and I'm wondering how to fill it up completely.

So far we have five originals written, each on average about 5 minutes long, and we're covering For Whom the Bell Tolls and Master of Puppets by Metallica and Raining Blood by Slayer.

Which leaves about 15 - 20 minutes left to fill. Any ideas of how to fill it?

Btw, if you haven't caught on, we're a metal band, and the gig is on the 29th of June.

Thanks.

quinny1089
04-20-2006, 07:17 PM
gotta do a pantera song

walk or cowboys

maybe a megadeth song like holy wars...

or if your into more metalcore stuff aswell some thing by trivium maybe

Dave2210
04-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Every metal band does For Whom The Bell Tolls and I don't get why. I think it's a crap Metallica song, there are so many better ones.

My rant is now over. How about like talking to the crowd, that could take up about 10 mins in between a couple of songs. And I agree with the other dude, do Cowboys From Hell!!! Best power groove song ever!

Drop-A
04-20-2006, 07:48 PM
gotta do a pantera song

yep, ^ hes write pantera covers always go over big, also step outside your style without straying to far from it. play a song from a different style and the fuse it with elements from your style. originals are great as well, just tell the audience there originals so that even if they dont like they'll still pretend to. good luck man :devil:

Gabuydachk
04-20-2006, 09:20 PM
5 min talking
10-15 min jam

Freunleven
04-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Allow for about 5 minutes of talking, then add (and not all at once):

2 minutes - Bass solo.

2 minutes - Guitar duel.

1 minute - Drum solo.

5 minutes - "Oh, crap! I found the suck pedal!" or a free-form jam.

:satan:

ChurchNSkate
04-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Run to the Hills?Iron Maiden=3:53
Into the Pit?Testament=2:46
Almost 7 minutes there...plus an extra solo on each=about 8 minutes.

Mr.Rodgers
04-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Every metal band does For Whom The Bell Tolls and I don't get why. I think it's a crap Metallica song, there are so many better ones.

I agree its not that great, we were gonna do it as a joke and piss around on it :p:

Anyway we've scrapped that in favour of Creeping Death

We ain't doing a jam either, because we all agree it looks unprofessional and that you aren't organised and prepared for the full hour.

thesumoftwo
04-23-2006, 02:48 PM
i disagree actually, if its a wel played jam and its actually pre-organised to a certain extent then it can make you look more professional. I mean look at the chilis, they jame all the time and its amazin, they take the song and just extend it. so maybe dont do a complete random jam but an extension on the start or the end of a song.

psychodelia
04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Jamming in general is not unprofressional, it only would be looked down on if you sucked at it.

However, since you're playing metal I don't know whether you would be interested in doing typical jams.

Many bands enjoy doing tongue-in-cheek covers of famous pop tunes, only making them more "metal" or "punk". This can be a good option, however, I would recommend that you actually find a pop tune you enjoy. If you hate the song, doing a crappy version for laughs won't get you far. Find a song you guys all can agree that you like, then get to work creating metal riffs or whatever you like for the song. It can be as metal as you like, just try to do the original justice.

Some White Guy
04-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Allow for about 5 minutes of talking, then add (and not all at once):

2 minutes - Bass solo.

2 minutes - Guitar duel.

1 minute - Drum solo.

5 minutes - "Oh, crap! I found the suck pedal!" or a free-form jam.

:satan:

Agreed, 'cept for the 5 minute part. Maybe for 5 minutes you could just screw around with your pedals and improv some song with the guitarist, bassist and drummer.

ShaggyDan
04-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Since you've got some time for the gig possibly write another song? Or 2 shorter songs?

And the rest easily done with solo's and talking.

Mr.Rodgers
04-24-2006, 11:19 AM
However, since you're playing metal I don't know whether you would be interested in doing typical jams.

This guy gets it. I think we'll try to write a few more songs (bearing in mind we have to do this around revision and GCSE exams :( ), but most of the time we can write a pretty good tune in a couple of days.

BrianApocalypse
04-24-2006, 02:15 PM
To be honest, jamming would suck major ass.

Solo battles would be good if they were quick, and kept to the point, with a quick shout voting from the audience.

You should probably throw more songs in there, and have quick breathers in between songs, but keep them well under 30 seconds.

deg0ey
05-06-2006, 06:18 PM
gotta do a pantera song
+1 - if it were me i'd go with ****ing hostile...but that obviously depends on the venue and audience :p:

What else could you play...I've found that Hallowed be thy name always goes down well...and if there's any other local bands, maybe you could cover one of their songs - as long as they're popular and you do it well, people will love it

Ippon
05-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Just curious, what is the composition of your audience?

FWIW, my band is composed of the small % in school who aren't into EMO or RAP ****. The few pieces that got some approval from the majority is Metallica's Enter Sandman of all things. Simple and catchy. Another one was Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar because it POed the teachers and almost brought to the surface the wannabe a stripper in some of the girls.

This thread is interesting because I'll get to play a real paying gig in a little over a month.