Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to tour in June

PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to tour in June

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
well, since I am one of the only Petty and the Heartbreakers fans on this website, I'm interested to see how many responses I get...

Pearl Jam, Trey Anastasia, The Allman Brothers Band and Others Will Appear
on Selected Dates

Los Angeles, CA - Thursday, April 20, 2006 -- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
will embark on their 2006 North American "Highway Companions Tour" on June 9
in Charlotte, N.C. The band will be joined along the way by an exciting
list of friends and guests that will include a series of very special shows
with Pearl Jam, some shows with special guest Trey Anastasio, and others
with the Allman Brothers Band. Expect further announcements soon of
additional special guests and opening acts who will be on selected dates.

As part of their summer tour, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Petty/vocals,
guitars, Mike Campbell/guitars, Benmont Tench/keyboards, Ron Blair/bass,
Scott Thurston/guitars, harmonica, backing vocals, and Steve Ferrone/drums -
will headline the Bonnaroo Festival on Friday, June 16, and the Austin City
Limits Festival on Sunday, September 17.

Petty is putting the finishing touches on his third solo album, "Highway
Companion," which is produced by Jeff Lynne with Tom Petty and Mike
Campbell, and will be released this summer.

Academy Award-winning director/screenwriter Peter Bogdanovich ("The Last
Picture Show," "Paper Moon," "Mask") has started working on a comprehensive
feature film/documentary about the band's three-decades-long history. Given
unparalleled access to the band, Bogdanovich will intertwine vintage
interviews, videos and live performances with special footage that he began
shooting late last year. "We shot New Year's Eve at Mike Campbell's house,"
said Bogdanovich. "We've gone into the studio with Tom while he did
voice-overs for his 'King of The Hill' role, recorded his XM Satellite radio
show, we'll be there when he headlines Bonnaroo, and we've already started
to conduct new interviews with Tom, the band, with long-time associates,
journalists, and other people who have played a role during the past thirty
years.

"I want to tell this very American story about a small family of musicians
who jumped in a car, left Gainesville and drove cross-country to get into
the record business," explained Bogdanovich. "How they did it, what
happened to them as a result, how this affected their families and friends,
and the impact their music has had on the music industry and on millions of
people's lives. We'll take you through it all, the early Shelter Records
days, touring with Bob Dylan, the Grammys and other awards, the Rock and
Roll Hall of Fame induction, working with Johnny Cash in the recording
studio, and the Traveling Wilburys." No title or release information has
been set.

Last summer's Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' tour proved to be one of the
band's most successful in their long career. Without a new CD to promote,
they played to sell-out crowds totaling more than 750,000 fans; Rolling
Stone's glowing article on the success of the tour prompted the headline
"Tom Petty Rules the Road," and Joel Selvin of the San Francisco Chronicle
declared, "Tom Petty is rock aristocracy."

Over the past thirty years, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers have sold more
than 50-million records and been nominated for 16 Grammy Awards. The band
was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002, the first year
they were eligible, and this past December, Green Day's Billy Joe Armstrong
presented Petty with the Billboard Century Award at the Billboard Music
Awards saying, "If you're going to come up and thank god, thank god for Tom
Petty." In this 2006 season, Petty reprises his ongoing role as "Lucky" on
the long-running Fox animated TV series "King of the Hill," and he is in the
middle of the second season of his critically acclaimed XM Satellite Radio
Show, "Tom Petty's Buried Treasure."

The confirmed first leg is below; dates for leg two (July/August with the
Allman Brothers Band) and leg three (September/October) will be announced
shortly.

JUNE
9 Verizon Amphitheatre, Charlotte, N.C. (w/ Trey Anastasio)
10 Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, VA (w/ Trey Anastasio)
12 Harbor Center, Portsmouth, VA (w/ Trey Anastasio)
14 Polaris Amphitheatre, Columbus, OH (w/ Trey Anastasio)
16 Bonnaroo Festival, Manchester, TN
17 UMB Bank Pavilion, Louis, MO (w/ Trey Anastasio)
20 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY (w/ Trey Anastasio)
21 Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA (w/ Trey Anastasio)
23 Verizon Amphitheatre, Indianapolis, IN (w/ Trey Anastasio)
26-27 Xcel Center, St. Paul, MN (w/ Pearl Jam)
29-30 Marcus Amphitheatre, Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI (w/ Pearl Jam)

JULY
2-3 Pepsi Center, Denver, CO (with Pearl Jam)

so there you have it. Petty and the Heartbreakers are going to start their 2006 tour in June, and will play with Trey Anastasio, Pearl Jam, and the Allman Brothers Band (not all at once though :( ). After seeing Petty and the HBs w/the Black Crowes as the opening band, I will definately try to get tickets to the MSG show on June 20th and if they come back around with the ABB, I am going to try and go to that show as well.

This should be one hell of a tour :cheers:

*open discussion about the tour and/or Petty and the HBs in general*

anorexorcist4
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
who are tom petty and the heartbreakers.

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
*sigh* :(

anorexorcist4
04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
ahaha
are they a old skool punk band?

punkrockdude2
04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Omg I Live Near Charlotte I'm So Going Tom Petty Rules!!!!!!!!!!

TimiHendrix33
04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm definetly telling my aunt about this,she a huge fan.I'm her "concert buddy" one could say.

PatrickJR
04-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Tommy Petty is awsome. Great music!

AICriff008
04-21-2006, 01:50 AM
:eek: Tom Petty...with the Allman Brothers Band...

If they dont come here to AZ I'm going to shoot myself. Twice. In the head.
That would be one kick-ass show...but seriously, some awesome openers, wish I could see them with Pearl Jam (or Trey Anastasio!). They better at least come to AZ with somebody!

04-21-2006, 02:03 AM
i was at the gorge last year to see pearl jam and tom petty was playing the night after

so eddie vedder kept on saying "helloooo tom come dooown tom"

and now theyre playing with pearl jam, how nice

punkrockdude2
04-21-2006, 07:20 AM
When do Charlotte Tickets go onsale??

sirpsycho85
04-21-2006, 07:28 AM
i was at the gorge last year to see pearl jam and tom petty was playing the night after

so eddie vedder kept on saying "helloooo tom come dooown tom"

and now theyre playing with pearl jam, how nice

i think eddie covered won't back down a few times in the little preshow song he sometimes did that tour. i saw petty w/black crowes at Jones Beach last year. It kicked ass. I'm not certain if i'm going to this, I'd like to see legs two and three revealed, because JB is such a fitting atmosphere for petty, moreso than MSG. Also, i'd rather see the allmans than trey (though pearl jam wouldve been the best). I also wonder who would be leg three...he was saying before he'd like to get the strokes to open some dates, and being a NY band, that would be a fitting group for leg three if it comes back to NY.

TheHeartbreaker
04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
who are tom petty and the heartbreakers.

*Kills anorexorcist4*

Awesome band. I'd like to see them if I get a chance... especially with the Allman Brothers. :down:

KingBrendan5149
04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
i'm going to try to see them in Milwaukee.

Tom Petty + Pearl Jam= :)

thembones16
04-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Are they going to be performing Dani California?

Tenacious Me
04-21-2006, 04:32 PM
ahaha
are they a old skool punk band?
You had better be joking we are in classic rock.

Keep us posted on the dates. them and the Allmans.......... They had better come to Ill.

thembones16
04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Well will they be performing Dani California or not?

Jesse Mrau
04-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I wish I could go, Tom Petty would be a hell of a show. And with Pearl Jam..... I can just hope they both will come to Canada on their tours. (Preferrably B.C :D)

BrainDamage
04-21-2006, 09:35 PM
i think eddie covered won't back down a few times in the little preshow song he sometimes did that tour. i saw petty w/black crowes at Jones Beach last year. It kicked ass. I'm not certain if i'm going to this, I'd like to see legs two and three revealed, because JB is such a fitting atmosphere for petty, moreso than MSG. Also, i'd rather see the allmans than trey (though pearl jam wouldve been the best). I also wonder who would be leg three...he was saying before he'd like to get the strokes to open some dates, and being a NY band, that would be a fitting group for leg three if it comes back to NY. I was at the PNC Bank Arts Center show, the day after Jones Beach. I've never been to Jones Beach, but if it's anything like PNC, then you are right in saying it's more of a fitting atmosphere than MSG. More...up close and personal I guess you can say, cause PNC seems like a small place compared to the Garden. I'm gonna try and be at the MSG show, and if they come around to PNC in the summer, I know someone who knows someone who got us 20th row seats last year...so yeah :p:

gtrfrk123
04-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Tom Petty and the heartbreakers r n awesome band. IMO one of the best rock bands ever

04-22-2006, 02:31 AM
i think eddie covered won't back down a few times in the little preshow song he sometimes did that tour. i saw petty w/black crowes at Jones Beach last year. It kicked ass. I'm not certain if i'm going to this, I'd like to see legs two and three revealed, because JB is such a fitting atmosphere for petty, moreso than MSG. Also, i'd rather see the allmans than trey (though pearl jam wouldve been the best). I also wonder who would be leg three...he was saying before he'd like to get the strokes to open some dates, and being a NY band, that would be a fitting group for leg three if it comes back to NY.

pj actually did wont back down when i saw them

Angus76
04-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Sweet Tom Petty is great. He married a girl form my town, Flushing, Michigan.

KingBrendan5149
04-22-2006, 02:32 PM
this doesn't really have to do with Tom Petty or anything but does anyone know if the Rolling Stones are going to do another tour in America? whenever i ask, people just say "they'll never stop" and things like that but is there any site or anything that says they're going to do another one? i couldn't go when they came to Milwaukee and i don't want to miss them again.

thembones16
05-28-2006, 06:10 PM
See i stated a month ago that Dani California was a cheap rip off petty.

Sherman901
05-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Tom Petty is awesome! I saw him in concert last year and it was amazing. I definately want to see him again.

Rhinosaur Bones
05-29-2006, 03:07 AM
If only I was a North American...

BrainDamage
05-29-2006, 02:50 PM
this doesn't really have to do with Tom Petty or anything but does anyone know if the Rolling Stones are going to do another tour in America? whenever i ask, people just say "they'll never stop" and things like that but is there any site or anything that says they're going to do another one? i couldn't go when they came to Milwaukee and i don't want to miss them again. most people ar joking around when they say that, but I honestly think that the Rolling Stones will continue to play until someone in the band dies.

kmaster 1337
05-29-2006, 07:47 PM
I can't believe how many people are blind to them. Tom is such a good songwriter, I'd go if I could, but too bad.

BrainDamage
05-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I really want to see Petty again. I had a lot of fun at the show I saw last year. It's a hard ticket to get though, I don't have any yet :(

catempire
05-29-2006, 11:05 PM
See i stated a month ago that Dani California was a cheap rip off petty.
Okay, okay, we get the point. No need to make 3 seperate "...DANI CALIFORNIA..." posts. This is about Petty, and not whether or not he was plagiarised.

metal_til_im_60
08-02-2006, 03:59 PM
What character on King of The Hill does Tom Petty do the voice for?

BlueOyster23
08-02-2006, 04:37 PM
^Lucky, the hick type guy who Luann is going out with.

It's pretty obvious once you realize it.

metal_til_im_60
08-02-2006, 06:09 PM
That's what I was thinking. I don't really watch the new episodes that much. Mostly just watch the ones on FX.

Oh yea, just listened to Highway Companion, and it's awesome. Not as good as Last DJ, but still good.

VR05
08-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I tried to go to the one in VA, but tix were sold out, especially since Trey was playing! My uncle is going up to New York next week to see him, I wish I could go, but i'll be at the ocean :(

fattypumbaa
08-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Im goin in september in la i cant wait Tom Petty is like one of my favorites and im like 14 and i have to go with my parents because none of my friends like or even know who Tom Petty is :'(

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 09:22 AM
They're going to be coming closer to me, now, after releasing a date.

My dad was mentioning him a lot after he heard about it, so maybe I'll get to see him. :D

BrainDamage
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Im goin in september in la i cant wait Tom Petty is like one of my favorites and im like 14 and i have to go with my parents because none of my friends like or even know who Tom Petty is :'( is there a problem going with your parents? All these shows I go to I go with my dad. I saw McCartney and one Aerosmith show with my mom.

Sucks, I would see Petty again, and I reaaally want to, but the only time he is in NJ is the day I'm seeing the James Gang at the Beacon Theater.

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 09:30 AM
fattypumbaa is probably one of the people who are like, "I'm a teenager so my parents are uncool."

That sucks, though, that you are missing Petty, but it appears as though you've seen him before anyways, so it's not too big of a deal.

Besides, The James Gang is sick. :p:

How far are you from the city?

BrainDamage
08-03-2006, 09:34 AM
fattypumbaa is probably one of the people who are like, "I'm a teenager so my parents are uncool." that's what it looks like :p:

That sucks, though, that you are missing Petty, but it appears as though you've seen him before anyways, so it's not too big of a deal.

Besides, The James Gang is sick. :p:

How far are you from the city? About 45 minutes. With traffic, closer to an hour. Petty was great, I would love to see him again, especially with the Allman Bros. as an opening band. What a show that would be. Oh well, I've got my 9th row James Gang seats, so I'm happy :) Petty should be coming back to Jersey anyway, during the concert last year, he said he would return to PNC on their next tour. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does I'll go to that.

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 09:42 AM
That's cool.

I used to live about 45 minutes away too, but now it's like, ten hours. :(

fattypumbaa
08-15-2006, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=TheHeartbreaker]fattypumbaa is probably one of the people who are like, "I'm a teenager so my parents are uncool."

uhhhh no its not like that at all its just i wanted to go with some friends but they either dont like Tom Petty or i didnt know they did when i bought the tickets so now i dont hve enough tickets so i have to go with my parents

bodyheatseeker
08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
screwed by my location once again I'll never get to see Tom Petty!

TheHeartbreaker
08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
uhhhh no its not like that at all its just i wanted to go with some friends but they either dont like Tom Petty or i didnt know they did when i bought the tickets so now i dont hve enough tickets so i have to go with my parents

Whatever you say... :p:

BrainDamage
08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=TheHeartbreaker]fattypumbaa is probably one of the people who are like, "I'm a teenager so my parents are uncool."

uhhhh no its not like that at all its just i wanted to go with some friends but they either dont like Tom Petty or i didnt know they did when i bought the tickets so now i dont hve enough tickets so i have to go with my parents but you make it seem like it's a chore to go to a concert with your parents. You say you have to go with them, like it's a bad thing. I enjoy going with my parents. I get to talk music with my dad :)

TheHeartbreaker
08-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Same. It's great, because my dad loves music so much.

Even though he enjoys Jazz more than Classic Rock, he is still a huge Classic Rock fan and knows a lot about the bands of the era.