In Defense Of Billie Joe

PDA

View Full Version : In Defense Of Billie Joe

jamiecallaghan
04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not a huge Green Day fan, but I can sure recognise the talent that they have.

I have seen so many people slagging off Billie Joe for the following reasons:

- Crap guitar playing
- Basic songwriting
- Wearing make up
- ''Trying to be badass''

Okay, for the first one, for you all who think Billie Joe is just some powerchording buffoon, he may not be the best guitar player in the world, but his skills certainly aren't poor. Try to ignore the recent stuff, and go back to the early days of Time of your Life, and When I come Around, back when he didn't even use a second guitarist. Billie Joe doesn't go off on 5 minute long solos, this doesn't make him a bad guitar player. I don't hear anyone slagging off Noel Gallagher....He's pretty average lol. But people don't slag him off because of the song writing. Which brings me very nicely onto my second point....

Billie Joe writes catchy, upbeat songs using simple chord sequences, just like Oasis, but to a different effect. Green Day have so many songs which involve just powerchords, with a vocal melody. This is simply good song writing, nothing more, nothing less. It is certainly NOT because Billie Joe is not an advanced guitarist enough to pull off a more complicated song.

As for the other two, I'll let you make your own mind up.

What do you think: Agree/Disagree?

priest.fan.
04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I personally don't care at all. imo theres nothing very good or bad about billie joe, to me he's just your average MTV star.

Scourge441
04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm sick of the Green Day bashing. I don't listen to them, but I don't use that as an excuse to insult someone else's musical taste.

Unless a Green Day fan insults my musical taste. Then it's on.

ToolBass_dude
04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
the number of anti-billie threads is only matched by the number of "think about it, donnae hate him" threads.

seriously, there are so many of these around. I don't like him. his music bores me, i don't like what he's become/how he's changed to get there. I don't like the way they have to have the other guy on stage so billie can look like a rock start without having to concentrate too much.

but that is my opinion. don't bother flaming.

Alex

Blackbullet
04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
This was a bad idea- this thread will end up like the rest.

Smokey Amp
04-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, I do agree that Greenday write catchy music. Billie Joe isn't a total travesty on guitar, but comparing them to Oasis isn't such a good idea.

Greenday didn't write Wonderwall now, did they?

Afterall, everyone is entitlied to an opinion. Sure, alot of people just jump on the ever growing bandwagon, but if that's the way they want to be; let them.

Jaimz
Oasis suck teh ballz.

Harmonius
**** off you phallus, do something productive with your time here. No one gives a ****ing damn.

Get a clue.

master
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I agree. I'm not a fan of Green Day either. I think that all they are is a rock band who want to write catchy tunes, have some fun on stage, and bring fun to their fans. I don't think they want to be "good." They probably could be a lot better than they actually are if they actually tried. Some of their songs have great chord changes too.

jamiecallaghan
04-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, I do agree that Greenday write catchy music. Billie Joe isn't a total travesty on guitar, but comparing them to Oasis isn't such a good idea.

Greenday didn't write Wonderwall now, did they?

Afterall, everyone is entitlied to an opinion. Sure, alot of people just jump on the ever growing bandwagon, but if that's the way they want to be; let them.

Oasis didn't write Wonderwall, it was a cover

Smokey Amp
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Oasis didn't write Wonderwall, it was a cover

That's news to me. Are you sure? I'm pretty damn sure they wrote it.

Supersonic^
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Green Day AND Oasis suck.

Man, this thread sucks.

Jaimz
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Green Day AND Oasis suck.

Man, this thread sucks.

I concur. All in favour of this lads opinion, say I.

tommyt
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderwall_%28song%29

oasis did write wonderwall, it takes its name from wonderwall music by george harrison

glib homunculus
04-21-2006, 10:43 AM
I concur. All in favour of this lads opinion, say I.

Ne, I like Oasis.

Smokey Amp
04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderwall_%28song%29

oasis did write wonderwall, it takes its name from wonderwall music by george harrison

Yeah, I thought so.

The threadstarter was quite misinformed. Everyone knows Oasis wrote it.

Also, Jaimz. I would agree, except I actually like Oasis.

mamakin87
04-21-2006, 10:45 AM
As much as i dislike Greeenday now, i liked their older stuff when their egos were in the foetal stages. now they seem a bit pretentious. But theyre doin what they want, givin their fans waht they want, so it doesnt matter what non-fans think. But MAKEUP? Poofs.

rockinfreak386
04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Each band has their own style (unless they're sucky rip-offs), and therefore has it's own way of doing things. If simple chord progressions and make-up is Green Day's style, so be it. I'm not going to bash them because I don't agree with their style. Granted, I don't like where the hard-core punk band Green Day used to be is going, but hey, if that's what they want to be, not my problem. They obviously have a large enough fan base to do what ever the hell they want with their music, which has obviously gone to their heads. I don't listen to them very much anymore, except for their older albums, but if other people still like what they're doing, fine.

mulletman500
04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Someone's ruined both - www.nauticaltech.com/~josh/greenoasis/

Plus, if you're going to slag off wearing make-up, then your slagging off Bowie.

yawn
04-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Eh, this could have been a good thread. The four reasons you were about to counter were good ones. Unfortunately, you didn't do a very good job of supporting your position with convincing arguments. And thus...

Just give it up. The less UG hears about BJ or GD, the less they'll hate them ;)

GuitarJunkie
04-21-2006, 11:08 AM
In defense of Billie Joe:

He's musicall incompetant...there...thats why he's so bad.

Inahrima
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh just shut up, i love greenday, i hate all the "greenday sucks" > "they dont suck you band wagon jumpers" > "we dont care what you think either of you" > "i love green day but i hate all the" > "greenday sucks" > "they dont suck you...

just listen to whatever the F^CK you want eejits, whether that be britney spears or pantera or elvis or i dont know, what you listen to is up to you, what you believe in is up to you, so go and headbang or dance or whatever, its your right to believe, it isnt your right to
take offence when other people dont believe the same things as you

SG thrasher
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
At the end of the day, Nobody cares. Oh how i wish people would stop making threads trying to change another persons opinion,as i always say...

"Opinions are like buttholes,everyone has them, but other peoples stink."

So just let people have opinions and get on with your life, fag.

DisgruntledDuck
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
the number of anti-billie threads is only matched by the number of "think about it, donnae hate him" threads.

seriously, there are so many of these around. I don't like him. his music bores me, i don't like what he's become/how he's changed to get there. I don't like the way they have to have the other guy on stage so billie can look like a rock start without having to concentrate too much.

but that is my opinion. don't bother flaming.
Alex

I've put in bold the stuff I generally agree with. ToolBass_dude knows the score on this one. Especially with the last part.

IndieLee
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Just leave the god damn guy alone. I (I hope) stand by most of the world in saying: "We don't give a flying ****in' monkey's ass"

boredretard
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
i hate billies voice and his make up and the way that he sold out. other than that hes ok

victoryaloy
04-21-2006, 11:37 AM
^^^^^^
that, and the fact thats hes like 40 and washed up. i just think he sucks in general!!!

FakePlsticTrees
04-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh just shut up, i love greenday, i hate all the "greenday sucks" > "they dont suck you band wagon jumpers" > "we dont care what you think either of you" > "i love green day but i hate all the" > "greenday sucks" > "they dont suck you...

just listen to whatever the F^CK you want eejits, whether that be britney spears or pantera or elvis or i dont know, what you listen to is up to you, what you believe in is up to you, so go and headbang or dance or whatever, its your right to believe, it isnt your right to
take offence when other people dont believe the same things as you

Word.

HangmaN47
04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm sick of the Green Day bashing. I don't listen to them, but I don't use that as an excuse to insult someone else's musical taste.

Unless a Green Day fan insults my musical taste. Then it's on.

**pretends to be greenday fan**
Your musical taste sucks!

HangmaN47
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
billy joe is like 40?

gunsnspaghetti
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I think Billie bashing's stupid. it's thanks to him that I discovered rock and metal and actualy picked up a guitar (after hearing trime of your life)
they may not write the most complex or whatever, but the songs are catchy (and they beat oasis any day)

KingForADay22
04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
billy joe is like 40?

He's 34.

My view is, you like what you like. I hate Green Day's new image, but i still listen to American Idiot. There are only 3 songs that seriously stand out as "Anti-Bush", the rest is as normal as the albums before AI.

Im with Inahrima.

suicideangel_2
05-06-2006, 05:54 PM
As much as i dislike Greeenday now, i liked their older stuff when their egos were in the foetal stages. now they seem a bit pretentious. But theyre doin what they want, givin their fans waht they want, so it doesnt matter what non-fans think. But MAKEUP? Poofs.

i do agree there older stuff was much better but there is no need to bash the fact they wear make up now remember when metallica went throught that akward phase of short hair and make up :o

tpen892004
05-06-2006, 06:37 PM
green day thread

azza6
05-06-2006, 06:47 PM
greenday is a great band
billie is a great guitarist
did anyone else besides me see that his singing got much better once they got asecond guitarist?
because he doesnt have to concentrate on playing as much!! der..
does it really matter if he wears make up?? it doesnt matter what he looks like
as long as he can play it, thats the main thing
and as for basic songwriting, time of your life?? is that basic?
what about the start of minority??
yes he uses a lot of basic powerchords, but doesnt everyone?

so i say greenday lives on!

sadistic_monkey
05-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Who revived this thread? Let it fucking die.

Draken
05-07-2006, 04:35 AM
This thread needs to die as i say on most threads like this. It's different strokes for different Folks.

galapogo
05-07-2006, 09:18 AM
and as for basic songwriting, time of your life?? is that basic?

Yeah...

y2james2005
05-19-2006, 01:16 PM
i ****ing love green day, oasis, and noel galleghers guitar playing! (his solos are so memorable and legendary)

also, i went to milton keynes when green day played and in the knowledge cover he did a pretty sweet solo with his guitar behind his head. also check out song from the first 2 albums-some great solos there, and im glad he knew hwne to tone it down from dookie onwards.

billie joe is great as a songwriter because he has written so much classics. it does take alot of skill to write songs like his, not necesarily to play it though. but to churn out so many classic songs and classics albums takes a LOT of talent.

i dont see why target bille joe when you could do ALOT worse!