3 wire humbucker??!??!

PDA

View Full Version : 3 wire humbucker??!??!

Inahrima
04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
This is in relation to my other thread Humbucking malibu (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348516) , but thats not important compared to the realisation that...

The humbucker i have has three wires :confused: all the wiring diagrams i found show humbuckers with four wires. how on earth do i connect this? :( someone please help
The three wires are red, white and an unshielded one if it helps

rdineen
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
im still a newbie at this but general electronics knowlege tells me that the unshielded is ground and red and white are positive and negative

Inahrima
04-21-2006, 12:03 PM
^ yeah...but what do i connect to the switch thing then? :confused:

rdineen
04-21-2006, 12:13 PM
what colors are on the guitar now? id say if theyre the same colors then just wire it up the same, if they're different get a multimeter and figure out which is pos and neg.

Preid
04-21-2006, 12:15 PM
My lace sensor has 3 wires, i just solidierd the 3rd to the metal of the input jack, the metal holding it not the actual jack wire.

Its a earth wire, kills the buzzing.

Dirk Gently
04-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Most factory humbuckers only have 3 wires. If you don't have a multimeter, hook up your red wire to the switch, the white to the ground, and the bare to the ground. If you get a thin sound, reverse the white and the red.

Inahrima
04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks alot. Now just to make sure, only one wire goes to the switch, and the rest to ground right?

Dirk Gently
04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Correct.

Inahrima
04-21-2006, 12:29 PM
:cheers: mate, :p: and everything all those other chaps said in your sig

Dirk Gently
04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Those are obviously enlightened and learned men. You'd be wise to pay heed to them. :cool:

Inahrima
04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I have one more silly noob question, how do i determine which sides north and south and when i do, which side should be toward the bridge? the pickup doesnt have any markings/adjustable pole pieces

EDIT: nevermind, found out myself :) using a compass hehe

Bulletbass man
04-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Those are obviously enlightened and learned men. You'd be wise to pay heed to them. :cool:

no boredretard is a moron. Trust me he is a moron.

Dirk Gently
04-22-2006, 02:58 AM
no boredretard is a moron. Trust me he is a moron.
We all can have our moments of brilliance, I guess. He obviously had one, at least ;)

Inahrima
04-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Just installed it :D
worked out great, thanks all :cheers:

Megatallica
04-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow......I had the exact same question about my humbucker a while ago and no one gave me that answer.

And since I've hooked it up it buzzes like a bitch when near my pc screen, lights, or anything electronic (should a humbucker do this??)

I have the red and white going to 1 terminal on the switch, and th bare to ground..........now you say only 1 wire goes to the switch?

Inahrima
04-22-2006, 09:58 AM
:eek: *rushes off to point guitar at all things electronic*

seriously, i need to check that :wtf:

EDIT : whew...works perfectly :p: maybe you connected the wires wrong? i connected the white to the switch and red and bare to ground :)

Megatallica
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Yours doesn't buzz AT ALL??? :eek:

Ok lets get this straight..........red and bare to ground, white to switch?

Btw...what pickup is it?

Inahrima
04-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Its the bridge pickup, and yeah thats what i did, if that doesnt work try, red to switch and white and bare to ground?
I really dont know :p: just what i was "enlightened" with in this thread :D

Megatallica
04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
I've tried both, and both times I still get hum....it picks up insane buzzing when I turn on my PC monitor and sit next to it.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help :(

Inahrima
04-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I really dont know :(
Maybe the pickups facing the wrong direction or something?

SOMEONE HELP THIS GUY!!! :mad:

Dirk Gently
04-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Humbucker won't eliminate ALL hum. Your computer screen is a ridiculous radiator of electromagnetic energy. Check your wiring. Make sure all your solder joints are solid. Make sure your grounds are well-grounded. Shield your cavity a bit more. If it's a four conductor, make sure your unused ends are spliced together well, taped, and not contacting any other part of your circuit.

dan2002
04-22-2006, 02:26 PM
My P-94 all of the sudden (well, within the last 2 weeks) has really been buzzing more than usual. I'm not liking it too much. When I first installed it there was no buzzing. Then I did the treble bleed mod with the cap, and it started. I tried re-soldering everything, I even shielded it, tried it in rooms without anything electronic, no go. I have the green and bare to the back of the volume pot, white to ground (other side of the switch), and the black to the switch. Would taking the white and grounding it to the back of the pot make a difference?