Shred And Progressive?

PDA

View Full Version : Shred And Progressive?

MadMetalManiac
04-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not very Educated on these genre's so what bands or artists would you classify in having the ideal sound that makes you consider them calling shred or progressive?

If you would also please put the band and song. (So I can Check em out)

Thanx in advance

Malakian=God
04-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Trivium, the best metal band on earth at the moment. Really any of their songs. Steve Vai of course. Both those bands are shred by the way, not progressive.

Stop Messin'
04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Shredding is guys like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and NOT Eddie Van Halen. I have no clue what progressive is. I love Pink Floyd so i'm thinking it's crazy effects and whatnot.

Witch-king
04-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Dream Theater are shred and progressive. They're also crap.

What is and isn't shred can be subjective. I would consider some of Eddie Van Halen's songs shred.

SGRocker0791
04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Dream Theater are shred and progressive. They're also crap.

Oh, no you didn't! Dream Theater owns your soul! *cough* ...but yes, Dream Theater is combination of Prog and Shred.

Matt_Malmsteen
04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Trivium bet metal on earth atm, why did Megadeth suddenly die?

and for prog try:
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Rush
Mahavishnu Orchestra

for shred try:
Paul Gilbert
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Joe Satch
Symphony X
Ron Thal
Shawn Lane
Frank Gambale
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Cacophony(involes both the above)
Children Of Bodom(have some shreddy solos)
Nevermore(also have some shred moments)
Norther(have shred moments)
Megadeth(have shred moments)
Steve Morse
Rhapsody
Luca Turilli
Opeth shred sometimes
Arch Enemy shred sometimes

That's about all i can be assed to type, check the shred recommendations thred really.

MadMetalManiac
04-21-2006, 08:04 PM
If you would also please put the band and song. (So I can Check em out)

Matt_Malmsteen
04-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Whoops sorry....erm..by all them I mentioned, really dl anything, because imo they're all great :p:

metal_man12
04-21-2006, 09:14 PM
don't forget liguid tension expiriment(prog). literally dream theater without the vocalist and a different bassist. pwn dt imo

Erc
04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Ugh, I hate LTE. It is so extremely boring.

Anyways Andromeda is some good prog, DT as mentioned before. Opeth, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Ayreon, Adagio, Evergrey all prog.

For some good fusionesque shred (my favorite) try Shawn Lane, Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, and Al Di Meola. Also there are some good touch players (king of shreddy, it is hard ****) but I can't remember their names for the life of me, Antonio something..blah if I had one of his albums I'd remember!

EDIT --> Ooops I forgot Spastic Ink and Behold the Arctopus. Both kick ass.

SGRocker0791
04-22-2006, 01:02 AM
don't forget liguid tension expiriment(prog). literally dream theater without the vocalist and a different bassist. pwn dt imo

Haha, pretty much, just minus John Myung and add Tony Levin. Except they don't pwn Dream Theater IMO.

....man, first time I've seen so many DT/LTE haters. Ah well.