Best Songs to Close a Gig

PDA

View Full Version : Best Songs to Close a Gig

mccabe24
04-22-2006, 11:25 PM
What do you think are some good songs to close a gig?

Here's the list:
Knockin' on Heavan's Door-Guns N Roses
November Rain-Guns N Roses
Paridice City-Guns N Roses
You Shook Me All Night Long-AC/DC
Don't Cry-Guns N Roses
The Sprit of Radio-Rush
For Thouse About to Rock-AC/DC
Share the Land-The Guess Who
Summer of '69-Bryan Adams
Rockin' in the Free World-Neil Young
Bat out of Hell-Meat Loaf
Whiskey in the Jar-Metallica
Open Your Eyes-Alter Bridge
Train Kept A Rollin-Aerosmith
The Final Cut-Coheed and Cambria
The Trouper-Iron Maiden
Crazy Train-Ozzy Ozeborne
Fleash Into Gear-CKY
War Pigs-Black Sabbath
Cocaine-Eric Clapton
Paranoid-Black Sabbath
Enter Sandman-Metallica
Whole Lotta Rosie-AC/DC
Should I Stay or Should I Go-The Clash
Power of Equality- RHCP
Immigrant Song- Led Zeppelin
Caress Me Down- Sublime
Free Bird-Lehnyrd Skynyrd
We Are the Champions-Queen
Courage-Manowar
Fight For Freedom-Manowar
I Dare You-Shinedown

Note:I'll just copy everyone else's posts here so the songs are easier to find.

mccabe24
04-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC would be a great way to end a set.

SuperAnalytical
04-22-2006, 11:29 PM
I would have to say something that is up beat, that will leave the crowd a little rowdy after the show.

Right now, I can't think of any songs that come to mind really, but something slightly fast and loud. Hella loud if you want. ;)

Stop Messin'
04-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Paradise City and For Those About To Rock came to mind first.

Songs that end with big solos/bass/drums like the ones you mentioned are the best.

Train Kept A Rollin'-Aerosmith's version

imburningstar4
04-22-2006, 11:31 PM
The Final Cut-Coheed and Cambria
if u can nail the vocals and the solo's...its awesome

wingedgopher
blitzkrieg bop is the best song to close a gig with period. its high anergy and just over 2 minutes.

mccabe24
Has anyone here ever did a gig and got a great reaction from their closing song? If so, what song?

wingedgopher
04-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Has anyone here ever did a gig and got a great reaction from their closing song? If so, what song?

what i said earlier.

CraigKing
04-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Tbh, if you want a loud applause, do something fast.
Iron Maiden- The trooper?

epy
04-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Crazy Train

MetalHead_AP
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
"Flesh Into Gear" by CKY

mccabe24
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Crazy Train

I'd think that would be better to start the gig with. It's a very high energy song.
I guess it would work as a closer though...

Stop Messin'
04-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Fairies Wear Boots and War Pigs by Black Sabbath.

Dan Steinman
04-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I've seen this before, looked pretty cool: choose a song with a short verse progression. that way at the end of the song, you can vamp that progression and give everyone a quick solo. like, the vocalist would say, "give it up for so and so the bass player" and then the bass player does a quick solo, and then move on to the other instuments (drums too!) then finish with one last chorus or something. two chord vamps work nicely for this.

rockminister
04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
She don't lie Cocaine!

rockminister
04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
She don't lie cociane

Rhinosaur Bones
04-23-2006, 05:11 AM
I'd go with Rocking in the Free World. It's fast, it's catchy, it's well known, it's simple. People will sing along. Plus it's just a good way of saying, you know, thankyou and goodbye.

sheumack111
04-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Paraniod by Black Sabbath...... We do it after every gig, short sweet, and sure 2 go off!!!

~~cemetary~~
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
a dedication is good

theusedsk8er
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
you could always be like angus young and close 'donington' with 'for those about to rock' and at the end put your guitar thru the singers legs and go crazy like angus did :)

SomeEvilDude
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I'd go with Rocking in the Free World. It's fast, it's catchy, it's well known, it's simple. People will sing along. Plus it's just a good way of saying, you know, thankyou and goodbye.

I concur. But on top of that, there's a lot of room to improvise and everyone to show off their skills. Which is always fun.

tard on tour
04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
any anthem like paradise city. i guess enter sandman would be good or whole lotta rosie

NotAJock2Day
04-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Should I Stay or Should I Go (The Clash)

Careful, you might get an encore if they take it literally.

Kram
04-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Rockin in the Free World!

My bands doin it next week in the school concert.

flamencogod
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
be original and write a song yourself... like true musicians do

SomeEvilDude
04-24-2006, 03:57 PM
be original and write a song yourself... like true musicians do

Piss off. Maybe they want to do a show full of originals, but they want to open and/or (in this case) close the show with a well known cover, so that they go down as more memorable.
Perhaps they want to play some covers to pay tribute to the artists that inspired them?
Maybe they just want to play covers because they enjoy playing their favourite artists' music?

Right, so you can shut the hell up with your 'true musicians' bullshit.

flamencogod
04-24-2006, 03:58 PM
^yeah

but basically if you really want you're band to be taken seriously don't do covers.

SomeEvilDude
04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
^yeah

but basically if you really want you're band to be taken seriously don't do covers.

Why not? Hey Joe and All Along The Watchtower are two of Hendrix's most famous songs, and they were both covers.
Plenty of the original rock bands - Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc. - started out playing famous R&B covers. Led Zeppelin covered blues songs. Hell, everyone seems to cover Ledbelly at some point.
Covers are fun, they're recognizable and they pay tribute to the artists who inspired you. There's no reason why people wouldn't take you seriously if you do two or three covers in amongst a set of originals.

If we're talking a whole set of covers however, then you do have a point. ;)

flamencogod
04-24-2006, 04:09 PM
all those artist you just mentioned played in the 60's and 70's and moved on from playing covers (well basically all led zep song are rip-off's in some way). What band that got famous in the last 5 years became famous because they played covers?... none!

If you really want to be in a band and get famous covers will learn you HOW to play of course, they are a great step towards being in a real band.

Of course covers bands can be great too, but they will never make it big

sylent
04-24-2006, 04:16 PM
flamencogod, is actually pretty right, you should right your own music. The most changelling part of a musicians life. And i guess composing?? Same thing? not? lol Well as a closing a cover can be nice though for a ending i think...

flamencogod
04-24-2006, 04:22 PM
well... my band has been a cover band for a long time and that period has been very important... we've been writing (well I write everything) our own songs for a years and suddenly we're much more famous... we are in a international bandcontest called emergenza which is really big... we're in the Dutch finals in one of the biggest venues holland has (called 013. this month golden earring, sadus, fear factory, chimaira, madball, unearth, Michael Schenker group etc will play on the same stage so it's really big).

If we'd play covers we wouldn't even be in the competition...

SomeEvilDude
04-24-2006, 04:27 PM
all those artist you just mentioned played in the 60's and 70's and moved on from playing covers (well basically all led zep song are rip-off's in some way). What band that got famous in the last 5 years became famous because they played covers?... none!

If you really want to be in a band and get famous covers will learn you HOW to play of course, they are a great step towards being in a real band.

Of course covers bands can be great too, but they will never make it big

Meh, the Aussie Floyd do pretty well. And they put on a damn good show too.

Erm, recent bands, I know Pearl Jam cover Rockin' In The Free World a lot at their gigs, and Tool do No Quarter quite a bit.

Like I said previously, covers are great to do, and there's nothing wrong with them if they're mixed in with a load of original songs.

EDIT: well... my band has been a cover band for a long time and that period has been very important... we've been writing (well I write everything) our own songs for a years and suddenly we're much more famous... we are in a international bandcontest called emergenza which is really big... we're in the Dutch finals in one of the biggest venues holland has (called 013. this month golden earring, sadus, fear factory, chimaira, madball, unearth, Michael Schenker group etc will play on the same stage so it's really big).

If we'd play covers we wouldn't even be in the competition...

Yup, that's right. But a lot of the time, while most people love to hear a band playing a whole load of decent music they wrote themselves, it's great to hear a decent cover every now and then too.
I don't argue that cover bands will do particularly well, or will they get much recognition, but a few covers here and there generally go down well, and most people appreciate them.

eckmann88
04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
my band always covers rockin in the free world

VoodooChild15
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
How hasn't anyone said WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN?!?!?!

EDIT:

all those artist you just mentioned played in the 60's and 70's and moved on from playing covers (well basically all led zep song are rip-of's in some way).

Shut the hell up. If you had any idea what you were talking about, you'd realize how rediculous your statement here is. What do you think Kashmir is a copy of? Or The Rain Song? Or Ten Years Gone, or Over the Hills and Far Away? If you're going to rip on Zeppelin, do it intelligently. Otherwise you're just another dumbass who thinks he's being cool by accusing a band who's success you yourself can never hope to achieve even a fraction of.

RadioMuse
04-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Really saying that no band has gotten big in the last 5 years playing covers is beyond obvious, but then you go on to somehow shoot down the best bands of the 60s and 70s... I can barely think of 5 bands that are around anymore (playing shows, making albums, most of their original members) let alone made major label debutes in the last in last 5 years that can come close to Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix or the early 70s Stones'. Actually if it comes to major label success since 2001 I can't think of one... Ha!

A gig closer should always be memorible and it either needs to be touching or energetic, take a pick. Personally I don't have a band yet but I want to close our sets with an original hevey piece a buddy and I have been working on now and again... For the encore it should be a cover though... I think Street Spirit from Radiohead would be my choice, but I'm nuts apparently.

WrathofKahn
04-24-2006, 09:51 PM
To close a gig, the song has to be epic and memorable... well maybe not epic (certainly not long), but it needs to be memorable and fun. I like to close with:

Power of Equality- RHCP
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World- Neil Young
Immigrant Song- Led Zep
Caress Me Down- Sublime

Not very technical songs, but I'm (and my band) not about that.

psychodelia
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
FREEBIRD!!!!

hahahha. sorry. I'm used to getting heckled by drunk friends.

I guess it's not a bad idea to start ending with covers, but if you have an original or two that people sing along with, try going with one of those. Nothing against covers, just do it for yourself: it's much more satisfying for the crowd to sing along to something YOU made.

WrathofKahn
04-24-2006, 11:41 PM
There's a speech/essay writing trick that states that people (ie: the audience) will remember the first and last things you say in the speech. The same applies to a concert. To me, a band that isnt very well established can get off to a good start... but if you dont have a large fanbase it can be hard to keep your momentum going. Ending with a cover song gives the audience something recognizable to memorize.

Thats why upstart bands can get away with ending with covers.

eltravo
04-25-2006, 12:38 AM
paraniod, thats what my band usually does, or i wanna rock

NewYorkYankee
04-25-2006, 02:02 AM
My friend was at my house while reading this, and I asked him, and he said, "Good riddance" by Green Day. I almost hit him.

scheck006
04-25-2006, 02:38 AM
walk this way

flamencogod
04-25-2006, 02:40 AM
I never said doing a cover every once in a while can be a good thing

and yup a lot of led zep songs are based on songs that already excisted, I'm not bashing led zep 'cause they are one of my favourite bands but a lot of their songs are old blues songs. Even stairway to heaven is based on another song... Still I have all the respect for those bands.

but still, If you want your band to make it big you be abble to do a full set of originals. A cover every now and then can be great to but it isn't the real stuff.

ferox
04-25-2006, 06:02 PM

yeah.. We closed with Guns n' Roses - Paradise City.. got some great reactions from the public about choosing that one as last song

hondavirginia
11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
To the Guy who asked about a great reaction from a crowd for a closing song. We do purple rain by prince and always have a chill close with no crazyness but the crowd goes crazy everynight when hear the song

thePTOD
11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Shoot To Thrill.

Papabear505
11-11-2011, 11:05 PM
AC-DC Sin City

or

Fog Hat's I Just Wanna Make Love to You..

Oh, and we're a cover band.. don't need to do originals.... LOL.... My dreams of making it big died before a lot of you guys were born... LOL.. the baby in our group is 44... LMAO

:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:

AlanHB
11-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Thread is 5 years old.