Nothing else matters

PDA

View Full Version : Nothing else matters

Jono45
04-23-2006, 01:55 AM
:liplick: This is a great song,

and ive just begun learning it to improve fingerpicking. i know the tab etc and very familiar with the song, but does anyone know how to improve barre chords, im having big trouble.

thanks alot for your help,
and if anyones interseted post some good intermediate songs.

BrokenKaraoke
04-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Im also learning barre cords and most of the advice I get is practice, practice, and practice. It takes alot of hand strenght to master it, so all you can really do is just practice and build up the strength/endurance in your hands to do it. Try to go out and get some finger strengtheners (i dont know exactly what theyre called). You can find them at just about any guitar store. I know guitar center has them.

Jono45
04-23-2006, 03:04 AM
thanks alot, great advice man. i think i knwo what you mean ive seen them around

psytox
04-23-2006, 04:08 AM
The title shouldnt be nothing else matters... anyway, for me i usually bar my index a little to the left instead of just goin straight to parallel to the string, roll ur index finger a little to the left...

abnormel
04-23-2006, 05:48 AM
nothing else matters the second best song for learning finger picking IMO
stairway to heaven is the best ;)
I learnt Stairway to Heaven then improved my finger picking by learning Nothing Else Matters

As for the barre chord thing, its a bit like finger picking, after a while you get used to doing it. ;) So keep practicing

Akyo
04-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Am I the only one playing it with a pick?
As for bar chords, they don't require all that much handstrength imo, just a little "endurance" but that comes quickly if you practice. And rotating your index slightly also makes it easier becaus you bar more with your bone that way

clarkson456
04-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I think the best song for improving your barre chord technique is Jack Johnson's Inaudible Melodies. It's basically all barre chords, and it's a really cool sounding song to boot.

ask_withnail
04-23-2006, 09:14 AM
The title shouldnt be nothing else matters... anyway, for me i usually bar my index a little to the left instead of just goin straight to parallel to the string, roll ur index finger a little to the left...

yep, that's what I do, it takes a little pressure of the thumb.

Blood0NyourLips
04-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Just a question : I think that songs like NEM and Stairway SHOULD be played fingerstyle, but I am having troubles with the sound of the strings,it's really muffled.I dont want to grow long nails,should I just give up fingerpicking ? Cause I really like it,but,I repeat,the sound is not
appealing.Plus I do all my strumming with a pick.

ace_lester
04-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Am I the only one playing it with a pick?
As for bar chords, they don't require all that much handstrength imo, just a little "endurance" but that comes quickly if you practice. And rotating your index slightly also makes it easier becaus you bar more with your bone that way

no your not the only one..i play stairway to heaven using a pick..
and i really think using a pick is easier than finger picking..

thread starter..i dont know if this tip is helpful..
just try to use and F chord all around your guitar..
random frets..so that your index finger will gain strength and
your other fingers will be more precise when positioned..

that helped me a lot..hope it does for you..

ace_lester
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Just a question : I think that songs like NEM and Stairway SHOULD be played fingerstyle, but I am having troubles with the sound of the strings,it's really muffled.I dont want to grow long nails,should I just give up fingerpicking ? Cause I really like it,but,I repeat,the sound is not
appealing.Plus I do all my strumming with a pick.

my pick is my bestfriend.. =)

axe_grinder247
04-30-2006, 03:19 PM
i actually flatpick nothing else matters so that when you strum the barre chords you can add a little more power into them...plus, i can switch right into the solo afterward

SfactionBand
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
here's how we played it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruOHsRT1DqU

AWACS
03-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Can a mod lock this thread? The guy just necro-bumped a 6 year old thread.