The Next Shred Generation

PDA

View Full Version : The Next Shred Generation

mr_clapton
04-24-2006, 05:36 AM
I just got through watching the guitars suck clips and it got me thinking there were lots of younger people on there who were technically much more proficient than anyone 10-20 years ago, you have those people like cooly, guthrie and thal who are all relatively young. How good do you think the generation after these will be and this happens to be our generation so how far do you think it could possible by taken?

~1954~
04-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Well, theres no limit. back in the sixties people couldnt believe that Eric Clapton could play so many notes so quickly in the solo to crossroads by cream, and look how far guitar playing has moved on since then!
I think buckethead is possibly one of the new generation of shredders, i dont think hes all that old and his technique is practically perfect (although i still dont like his music). But really, im sure in 20 years people will be doing things with guitars we would never have thought possible today.

mr_clapton
04-24-2006, 06:26 AM
so you think it to be possible in 20 years time on a technical aspect of course that many people would be able to play 40 nps and the new MAB can play 80? its almost unreasonable

PooKoo
04-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I think we'lll all go back to playing violin. Or lutes. Music comes full circle youknow.

Matt_Malmsteen
04-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Personally I think the next generation of shredders looks good, I mean people like Buckethead and John 5 are what I see as the next generation of shred.

I don't really think people can anything in terms of speed is really going to come out and blow people's minds, the poster above said 40nps I don't personally think that's possible and if it ever was it'd just be a blur of notes, nothing really interesting.

But I think in terms of cool noises, accuracy erm just general good technique and inspiring people such as ourselves and younger then the next generation is going to be great.

Saying that with all the popularity of crappy pop punk guitarists and people such as that, in terms of mainstream appeal shred isn't going to suddenly over throw that and become immensly popular but it's never gonna stop being there. Also with the popularity of said crappy guitarist alot of the guitarist from our generation(by this I mean like teens) are gonna be ****....simply because their idols are people like Billie Joe and twats like that.

...And after watching vids of poeple on here, looks all good :p:

Stratwizard
04-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Mostly the new generation of shredders are wankers. (Excluding Guthrie and few others)

I think the techincal aspects won't develop very much anymore. It hasn't done that much in 20 years. Besides, just trying to reach a high nps is pointless.

TheI7ark
04-24-2006, 09:24 AM
I just got through watching the guitars suck clips and it got me thinking there were lots of younger people on there who were technically much more proficient than anyone 10-20 years ago, you have those people like cooly, guthrie and thal who are all relatively young. How good do you think the generation after these will be and this happens to be our generation so how far do you think it could possible by taken?

Vai, Satch, Yngwie, Becker, Friedman and Lane were all around 10 years ago. Half of them were around 20 years ago... Not much has changed really.

superioddity
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't think it's going to change all that much, I mean, surely our hands can only move so fast.
However, I believe that we'll see a huge change in style and technique, and hell, with the speed technology is currently advancing we might even see a new style of guitar, a sort of "neo-guitar" or something.
We'll always have a set of true legends from each generation, but I think the reason that theres a lot more talented than youngsters than before is due to the popularity increase of the guitar, I think more people are willing to learn, and they are also willing to experiment.

fleabass
04-24-2006, 02:01 PM
i think people will tire of speed eventually, and try and play more simply.then john frusciante willl be recognised as the true genious. :)

apocalypse13
04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
The only thing I can say could make anyone better is that the influences are different.

I mean most shredders were inspired by Deep Purple, Zeppelin, etc. We're inspired by shredders too, something Blackmore and whoever else couldn't have experienced. So maybe more influences and increased interest in music theory could make the new generation better, but like Burn said, nothing really has changed.

psychodelia
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Boundaries can always be pushed, however I don't know how far they can be pushed as far as speed.

Pure speed is a physical/coordination achievement. My dad works in probability, so he's told me that there are models for breaking a lot of physical records.

For example: home run records in baseball. With no outside tampering, on average the records will get broken quickly towards the start of baseball, then there will be longer and longer intervals between times when the record is broken, as it becomes harder and harder to break. (The reason this is an example is because steroids upset the model: records were able to be broken in unreasonable amounts because steroids weren't factored in originally and gave an unfair advantage).

So there will probably be some kind of ceiling where very few people can break the speed record, and it will take longer and longer for people to break speed records. Unless some kind of guitar steroid is developed.

pavan
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
There wont be another Vai or Satch, although there will be innovators.

apocalypse13
04-24-2006, 03:19 PM
We're gonna see some crazy mofo with a robot hand in the future who does like 230 nps.

mort1
04-24-2006, 03:21 PM
:haha :haha

Resiliance
04-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Let's just wait and see... How 'bout that.

Four-Sticks
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
The crazy thing that I think about is that 100's of years ago music was more about tradition than about originality. Then the 20th century hit and music's focus was almost entirely on originality. Now we've reached the point where you must be original to be well respected. All of the Billie Joe copy-cats are going nowhere, although they might have a few hits.

Now what about in shredding on guitar? How many different ways can there be to play the same guitar?

One learning technique that Steve Vai has is to perform a common technique over and over until it gets boring, and then, out of sheer boredom, you try to accomplish the same technique in new and innovative ways. This works for vibrato, trills, legato, staccato, harmonics, tapping, etc. The possibilities are huge.

I'm more excited about the future of guitar composition, rather than shredding. People like Ron Thal, Mattias Eklund, Justin King (acoustic guitar), aren't exactly NPS freaks, but they sure have amazing technique, and great songs.

slash_620
04-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't think any new technique will emerge that will acctually make a record sound better.

I mean, what Eddie Van Halen did sounded completely different from anything before, i just don't believe that there's anything else that will get anywhere close to the impact that tapping did.

SuburbanCowboy
04-24-2006, 03:48 PM
How about some of the really young kids on the net? Chris Feener and Carl Fernandes are two guys that come to mind. They arent doing anything revolutionary or anything, but they both have excellent technique. Look for Chris Feener on Youtube or Google Vid. You might be impressed... or maybe not. Worth checking out though

Harmonius
04-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Half of us here will probably be the next generation. I wouldn't be suprised, UG is a pretty wide network. Of course, not everyone goes on the internet and not everyone uses the forums a lot, but of this forum, i'd say 50-70% are serious about making it.

PooKoo
04-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Let's just wait and see... How 'bout that.

oh be fun for once. :p:

Matt_Malmsteen
04-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Half of us here will probably be the next generation. I wouldn't be suprised, UG is a pretty wide network. Of course, not everyone goes on the internet and not everyone uses the forums a lot, but of this forum, i'd say 50-70% are serious about making it.

:cheers:
True say there.
I also agree with people who said that there isn't going to be loads of ground breaking in the future simply because virtually everything that can be done on guitar has been done....unil they start thinking up new crazy effects or...even crazier guitars...then god knows.....

Scorzerci
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
At some point evry single note sequence will be played... And then some Japanese dude will somehow "make" a new note.

apocalypse13
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I can hope.

You shouldn't devote everything to it though, because what if you get 99% of the way there, then fall back down?

You need a backup career in case.

Harmonius
04-24-2006, 05:27 PM
^ I agree. I take more of the realistic approach first, i.e. an education-first attitude, but it seems to me that a lot of UGers are pushing through full steam ahead to make it. After witnesses many "any college leavers/dropouts" etc threads, i've got good reason to believe this is the case for a lot of UGers.

apocalypse13
04-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean.

Education first is the way to go though.

splice
04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
maybe shred will be popular again with our generation?

i listen to satch and malmsteen and vai and stuff at class and everyone seems to be blown away by it all.....

psychodelia
04-24-2006, 10:36 PM
As much as I think I would rather play music...

I am pretty young, and I change my judgement quickly. I have the oppurtunity to attend a great college, so why waste it? I'll get a degree, then decide what to do with my life.

If I want to play music, I can give it a shot, but if I'm on the road and realize that I really want a family and this just won't cut it, I'll have the oppurtunity for a job.

I know people say if you want something you have to go all-out for it, but that's what my uncle did. Smart guy, but blew his chances and he has to work five times as hard to make up for it now.

gtgram14
04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I say its our generation's responsibility to bring back good guitar playing..... and the hippie culture, AND the eighties.....The best would be a mid 80's/late 60's combo decade. Everyone drop out of school, grab a sheet of acid and an 8ball, wear a tiedye shirt with tight black leather pants, pick up your guitar of choice and get to it!!!!

But thats just my opinion...

HammerForce
04-25-2006, 06:15 AM
^ That would be fairly awesome.
On topic: I think it must only be possible for the human body to be able to play so fast/ so well. It's like with a 100m race, do you really think that anyone will ever be able to run the 100m in 4 seconds?
Also music does have it's limits (albeit very few of them). So I think that it's going to be hard to progress much further when seeing what guys like Cooley, and Fareri are capable of, I guess the closest anyone could get to bettering the way thiongs are is if there was a shredder with Rusty's technique, and the compositional skills of say Vai. I'll admit Shawn Lane almost was that.
I don't think shred will ever be 'popular' again as it mostly takes a certain type of person to want to listen to it and appreciate it. Ie my girlfriend likes for the love of God and I've gotten her into a bit of Satch, she isn't a guitarist but the problem is, nine out of ten other people that I've played shred to think its appalling guitar wankery.(Bloody MTV and stupid Rn'B n Hip-Hop)
Saying that listening to some of the people on UG and on guitar war. I don't think all is lost in terms of shred for the future I think there are still a lot of great young people out there with brilliant ideas so...We'll see.

pavan
04-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Music doesnt have any limits, only people have.

Scorzerci
04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
As much as I think I would rather play music...

I am pretty young, and I change my judgement quickly. I have the oppurtunity to attend a great college, so why waste it? I'll get a degree, then decide what to do with my life.

If I want to play music, I can give it a shot, but if I'm on the road and realize that I really want a family and this just won't cut it, I'll have the oppurtunity for a job.

I know people say if you want something you have to go all-out for it, but that's what my uncle did. Smart guy, but blew his chances and he has to work five times as hard to make up for it now.
:cheers:

gtgram14
04-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I dont think fransesco fareri is pushing the limits of music....Maybe the limits of listenable music...but thats just me. Music will never stop evolving, it is just a means of expression, and the guitar is just a tool. There are no limits to what someone can write, or say, or paint in a picture to express their creativity and emotions, and nor is there to the music someone can make. There may be limits to what a human can physically do with a guitar, but human expression is a forever changing, and if we can be creative enough with our guitars we can certainly say something noone has ever heard before... and if we make a statement powerful enough it might just bring great guitar playing back into popularity. Thats the only way I see shred becoming mainstream again, because I don't think people are magically going to start liking something they have heard before......and screw society and getting a job. Our culture is based on materialistic success.... we should all be hippies!!! .....I say this as I finish up some college apps and get my math homework done ;) Start the revolution!!!!!!!!

greensand
04-25-2006, 10:36 PM
At some point evry single note sequence will be played... And then some Japanese dude will somehow "make" a new note.

lol

I'm calling it now..
THE NEXT SHRED GENERATION == CHICKS

Csquared1001
04-25-2006, 10:55 PM
How about some of the really young kids on the net? Chris Feener and Carl Fernandes are two guys that come to mind. They arent doing anything revolutionary or anything, but they both have excellent technique. Look for Chris Feener on Youtube or Google Vid. You might be impressed... or maybe not. Worth checking out though
what's wrong with that kid's face? (chris feener) he looks like he's about to poop

Freepower
04-26-2006, 03:35 AM

Dont be silly. Muso-freaks have been doing that since forever!

I recently heard some music with a 52 tet (octave divisions) tuning system. IMAGINE.

And you forget the power of rhythm. If i remember right, theres over 16 million possible phrases using just DIATONIC notes and only going to 16th notes...

Let alone the fact that those notes could be articulated incredibly differently - slides, whammy, vibrato, dynamics.... - and at different tempos.

And thats not doing crazy things like not playing in 4/4, or having 52 notes to choose from.

With music the limit is your imagination.

mr_clapton
04-26-2006, 03:51 AM
and also in some eastern music you have quarter tones not just semi tones giving even more variation

Stratwizard
04-26-2006, 06:15 AM
^Arabic music is a good example of that.

wongacaster
04-26-2006, 06:33 AM
yeah humans can only go so far but i agree with the robotic hand thing i rekcon itll happen and ruin it all.

Matt_Malmsteen
04-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Yeah there's always all that microtonal stuff and crazy weird music that seems to have no real time signature or anything but is just...good and insane....like all that crazy eastern and weird ass folk muic from random countries.

SuburbanCowboy
04-26-2006, 01:22 PM
what's wrong with that kid's face? (chris feener) he looks like he's about to poop

Haha. He's weird like that. There was one video of him shredding for a few minutes and his mouth was open the entire time. It looked like he was gonna start drooling. But the kid does have chops..

And speaking of the "new generation".. anyone pick up the new Guitar World and hear that Atreyu song that came on the cd-rom? I wasnt interested in listening at first, but in the article about them it said that their guitarist is a "self-proclaimed shredder and tap-master" :rolleyes:. So I gave it a listen.. and HOLY CRAP it was terrible. Honestly one of the worst solos I've ever heard in a song. It reminds me of the BAD, whammy-bar abusive soloing from the 80's. Doesn't fit the song and doesnt even sound musical really. It kinda bugs me that these guys are calling themselves the new generation of metal and shredding.

Stratwizard
04-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Lol :haha Atreyu is not metal and definitely not shred!

PooKoo
04-26-2006, 02:32 PM
anyone got a link to feeners site? I used to go there when i had just started and think he was god, love to see how it holds up.

SuburbanCowboy
04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
I dont think that site exists anymore. I remember it though.. some of those metal instrumentals were killer. Especially considering he was 16 at the time.

Google video has a few good ones of him. But I kinda wish he still had that page, cause I would like to hear some of his full songs. They really were good.

PooKoo
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
yeah, same dude.

slash_620
04-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I predict eventually players will go so fast you won't acctually hear anything, and we'll all go listen to blues..

Godly Moose
04-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Haha. He's weird like that. There was one video of him shredding for a few minutes and his mouth was open the entire time. It looked like he was gonna start drooling. But the kid does have chops..

And speaking of the "new generation".. anyone pick up the new Guitar World and hear that Atreyu song that came on the cd-rom? I wasnt interested in listening at first, but in the article about them it said that their guitarist is a "self-proclaimed shredder and tap-master" :rolleyes:. So I gave it a listen.. and HOLY CRAP it was terrible. Honestly one of the worst solos I've ever heard in a song. It reminds me of the BAD, whammy-bar abusive soloing from the 80's. Doesn't fit the song and doesnt even sound musical really. It kinda bugs me that these guys are calling themselves the new generation of metal and shredding.

lol, I have that issue the Dime Bag Darrel special edition issue, I didn'y even listen to the song or read that article because I had no need to hear about them. :haha

Evil_Empire24-7
04-27-2006, 04:39 AM
if jimi hendrix made it , u can make it

SuburbanCowboy
04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
if jimi hendrix made it , u can make it

True. But Hendrix's rise to fame was all about timing. It was the late 60's and people were ready for something different and unique. Maybe one day soon the world will be ready for a new guitar hero to turn them onto true rock music again. But as for now, it seems most people prefer their music spoon-fed to them, with sing-along hooks and minimal musicianship. :(

slash_620
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM
True. But Hendrix's rise to fame was all about timing. It was the late 60's and people were ready for something different and unique. Maybe one day soon the world will be ready for a new guitar hero to turn them onto true rock music again. But as for now, it seems most people prefer their music spoon-fed to them, with sing-along hooks and minimal musicianship. :(

But think about it, all mainstream stuff sucks, so isn't real music better to be left to the people who can appreciate it on internet forums?

And anyway, one of my favourite past times is complaining about mainstream music being crap, if it was mainstream I couldn't do that anymore.

Resiliance
04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
^You're talking crap.

There's good mainstream stuff out there, and don't ask me to name it, because you're just going to shoot it down anyway.

Crap music is crap, mainstream stuff is stuff that's mainstream, not necessarily crap.

slash_620
04-27-2006, 01:35 PM
^You're talking crap.

There's good mainstream stuff out there, and don't ask me to name it, because you're just going to shoot it down anyway.

Crap music is crap, mainstream stuff is stuff that's mainstream, not necessarily crap.

I was joking, speaking from the point of view from a stereo typical Uger.

I'm not THAT ignorant to say hands down that all mainstream music sucks, just most of it.

SuburbanCowboy
04-27-2006, 01:42 PM
^You're talking crap.

Exactly. We just live in an age where most mainstream just happens to be crap.

slash_620, doesnt it bother you that if you flipped through a radio station all day you would hear Fall-Out Boy until your ears bled. But artists who have dedicated their lives to mastering musicial instruments can't even get ONE song played on the radio? (Vai and Satch never get radio play and they've put out more albums than most bands). They deserve better. They deserve the fame that is being handed to these kids who can't even play their f*cking guitars.

Sure, I love the fact that we are a forum community that can come here and talk about all this great music together. But I dont think it's fair to the artists we listen to. They really do deserve better.

slash_620
04-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Exactly. We just live in an age where most mainstream just happens to be crap.

slash_620, doesnt it bother you that if you flipped through a radio station all day you would hear Fall-Out Boy until your ears bled. But artists who have dedicated their lives to mastering musicial instruments can't even get ONE song played on the radio? (Vai and Satch never get radio play and they've put out more albums than most bands). They deserve better. They deserve the fame that is being handed to these kids who can't even play their f*cking guitars.

Sure, I love the fact that we are a forum community that can come here and talk about all this great music together. But I dont think it's fair to the artists we listen to. They really do deserve better.

Erm...not really no. People can listen to whatever they want, sure i'll complain about how much crap they listen to but only because i have little else to do.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are extremely succesfull, the latter has produced 18 album s and some DVDs, he is a professional guitarist, he gets to do what he loves for a living, i'm pretty sure that lack of radio play isn't going to bother him much.

This is the way the world works, seemingly the people who deserve money the least seem to get the richest and most famous. It's futile to get worked up over what the radio plays.

guywithaguitar1
04-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Steve Vai is smart enough to know what music would get him on the radio and he chose a different path, at least thats what he said in the last guitar player interview he did. Of course one thing about never being in style or a fad is you never go out of style.

SuburbanCowboy
04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
It's more than radioplay. What the majority of the population listens to really says a lot about society. Dumb people like dumbed-down music. And right now they're eating it up. There was a time when musicianship was celebrated... for hundreds of years infact. It was only until recent years (I'd say the last 20-30 years) that musicianship no longer played a factor in what people listen to. It says a lot about the direction of the human race, considering that ALL forms of art are being simplified today (music, film, literature)

As you can tell, my gripes with our world extend far beyond the realms of music. But that is a discussion for another forum and another time...

guywithaguitar1
04-27-2006, 03:08 PM
True, its gotten to the point where dumbasses discouraged good muscianship. Of course there is still hope. Bands that are somewhat technically are becoming increaingly popular. I think people are starting to get sick of the Kurt Cobain aera of music.

slash_620
04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
What's the point in complaining about what other people listen to?

I agree with you, society is dumb, but that doesn't affect me listening to music, so i don't mind.

SuburbanCowboy
04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
What's the point in complaining about what other people listen to?

I agree with you, society is dumb, but that doesn't affect me listening to music, so i don't mind.

You missed the entire point. I'm not even talking about music right now. The simpliciation of ART has a direct effect on the quality of life and the shape of society. But you dont live in America, so perhaps you cannot understand.

slash_620
04-27-2006, 03:18 PM
You missed the entire point. I'm not even talking about music right now. The simpliciation of ART has a direct effect on the quality of life and the shape of society. But you dont live in America, so perhaps you cannot understand.

Maybe, Liverpool is a pretty dumb place aswell, but it doesn't really affect me much.

apocalypse13
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
True, its gotten to the point where dumbasses discouraged good muscianship. Of course there is still hope. Bands that are somewhat technically are becoming increaingly popular. I think people are starting to get sick of the Kurt Cobain aera of music.
Yeah, hopefully.

Metal is becoming more popular now, as well as some older bands coming back into popularity. Hopefully it continues.

guywithaguitar1
04-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Mick Thompson and Synester Gates aren't some of greatest musicians but it certainly is a start.

SuburbanCowboy
04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Maybe, Liverpool is a pretty dumb place aswell, but it doesn't really affect me much.

Good to hear. I wish I wouldnt let it affect me so much. But here in America, it's pretty much shoved in your face everywhere you go. I plan on moving out of the country within the next year. I was thinking maybe Canada (insert your pointless and unwarranted canadian joke here)

PooKoo
04-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Mick Thompson and Synester Gates aren't some of greatest musicians but it certainly is a start.

synester gates = ****

canadianshred
04-27-2006, 03:48 PM
ya, synester gates wouldn't be much of a start

apocalypse13
04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, but a step above Billie Joe and Kurt Cobain without question.

TheI7ark
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah, but a step above Billie Joe and Kurt Cobain without question.

Hardly, at least they write/wrote (subjectively) decent songs. Not only is A7X crumby, but their songs are crumby too.

apocalypse13
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
<_<

I guess, I haven't heard much of anything by A7X.

However!!!

Walk by Pantera has been getting airplay recently, at least where I live. That's definitely a good sign.

TheI7ark
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Walk by Pantera has been getting airplay recently, at least where I live. That's definitely a good sign.

Heh... Sadly we live in the state damned to be the place where Dimebag was killed :(

I still hold out hope as I once heard Surfing with the Alien on the radio :)

apocalypse13
04-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Well, there's always hope!

Surfing With The Alien is a rare radio find fo sho.

PooKoo
04-27-2006, 10:03 PM
ive heardddd, dokken on the radio here, and some other obscure 80s bands, even accept once, or so i think, not sure.

Anyways.... I forget whati was going to say

psychodelia
04-27-2006, 10:12 PM
There is no shred on the radio around here... the only exception was a pretty long live Eric Johnson song I heard a few months ago.

The best non-mainstream stuff on the radio where I live is some stations will play obscure blues-rock and a few will play metal very late at night. I usually stick with my cds.

~1954~
04-28-2006, 06:08 AM
^ Yeah well, Neo-classical shred or Metal Fusion isnt exactly easy listening music is it? I mean to get the most out of it you have to really focus in on it and not be distracted, like you might be if you were driving with the radio on.

Matt_Malmsteen
04-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Where I live there's several radio stations but realistically the only rock song you'll ever hear on there are By The Way - RHCP and Bring Me To life - Evanescence, not exactly shred.

slash_620
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Good to hear. I wish I wouldnt let it affect me so much. But here in America, it's pretty much shoved in your face everywhere you go. I plan on moving out of the country within the next year. I was thinking maybe Canada (insert your pointless and unwarranted canadian joke here)

Canada seemed like a really amazing country when i went for a two week holiday last year.

guywithaguitar1
04-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm from the place where Kurt Cobain was born and raised so as you can imagine everyone loves punk.

apocalypse13
04-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Errr...

grunge would seem more logical.

guywithaguitar1
04-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Grunge is really a mutated form of punk and plus it seems like punk is gaining in popularity whereis grunge died out not too long ago.

apocalypse13
04-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just that grunge would be my first guess for an area like that.

guywithaguitar1
04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. When it was popular people over enthasised it to the point where most alt bands were NIrvana clones. Luckily people got tiered of it.

apocalypse13
04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah.

rsoxfan1123
04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah.
I played shred all through the 80's and I do like some of the Seattle stuff (Alice in Chains, STP, etc.) but it did kill the guitar solo. The only Seattle band to keep it was Soundgarden to some extent and Candlebox (really a California transplant)

apocalypse13
04-28-2006, 03:41 PM
I like AIC

Baroque_and_Rol
04-28-2006, 09:11 PM
maybe shred will be popular again with our generation?

i listen to satch and malmsteen and vai and stuff at class and everyone seems to be blown away by it all.....
Yeah, i've converted a lot of people at school this year.

scheck006
04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
well just because they're blown away by it doesn't mean they like to listen to it. They'll take dashboard over shred any day.

everyone's like that to an extent. I'd much rather listen to AC/DC than rusty cooley or shawn lane. Its just more listenable

mr_clapton
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
gah i hate AC/DC it all sounds the same and its so generic. I would MUCH rather listen to shawn lane over them by far and FTW shawn has good music......cant say much for rusty though

PooKoo
04-28-2006, 09:51 PM
i think rusty has great music, but thats just me. Hes no lane, for sure.

gtgram14
04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I dont think I've even heard any actual songs by cooley, any recommendations? And i think lane's music is nasty, just listening to him improv kicks ass. Then again id still rather listen to a good floyd or dead song....

Erc
04-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I love shawn, and rusty both.

The best rusty piece to "check out" is Under the Influence IMO. It kick ass, very catchy and memorable and just downright awesome.

EDIT --> I hate AC/DC.

scheck006
04-29-2006, 12:33 AM
no wonder you guys argue about speed and emotion

Resiliance
04-29-2006, 03:19 AM
^We don't actually.

We just take the piss out of people who do.

*stares*

PooKoo
04-29-2006, 07:51 AM
As far as rusty, check out under the influence, jazzmines song, or war of the angels.
Lanes music = nasty. Nasty = good or bad?

Speed AND emotion are ovverated. I prefer to play techno.

Archaon
04-29-2006, 09:06 AM
"The Next Generation of Shredders"...Meh, I've seen a lot of kids in my school wanking at an extremely sloppy 10nps and then thinking they're shredders. Is that what you mean by next gen, or do you mean real shredders?
The kids who take it seriously are going to take shred further than it is now, that's what I believe. But most guitarists will just be sloppy half-assed shredders that practice 30 minutes to an hour a day.

apocalypse13
04-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Ummmmm, AC/DC are overrated, while Rusty and Shawn are underrated. They both have good music, and AC/DC gets real old, real quick.

Erc
04-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Ugh, no kidding. And all what is it...3 vocalists? sound like ****. Can't stand it

apocalypse13
04-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't know, the vocals are just annoying, and everyone in the band is waaaay overrated.

flamencogod
04-29-2006, 11:26 AM
how the **** can you state AC/DC is too generetic... You really don't get rock music. AC/DC is the perfect example (next to motorhead) of a band that really rocks... no bull****! ROCK N ROLL! All the generetic things they do are INVENTED BY THEMSELVES... That gives them the right to do so.

Stratwizard
04-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Motörhead > AC/DC

Cause Motörhead is the most badass band ever. Lemmy has drunk more booze than the whole AC/DC together. Not to mention that Phil Campbell owns Angus Young anytime.

Archaon
04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
drinked

:haha

Although I agree with you that Motorhead kicks ass.

Stratwizard
04-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Whoops, drunk that should be.

Godly Moose
04-29-2006, 01:47 PM
well just because they're blown away by it doesn't mean they like to listen to it. They'll take dashboard over shred any day.

everyone's like that to an extent. I'd much rather listen to AC/DC than rusty cooley or shawn lane. Its just more listenable

I would rather listen to some Lane or Cooley over AC/DC anyday. And what you consider listenable could be considered intolerable by others.

Archaon
04-29-2006, 01:50 PM
*realizes he's wearing his AC/DC shirt*

Oh.

I love 'em both.

PooKoo
04-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Motörhead > AC/DC

Cause Motörhead is the most badass band ever. Lemmy has drunk more booze than the whole AC/DC together. Not to mention that Phil Campbell owns Angus Young anytime.

amen.

scheck006
04-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I would rather listen to some Lane or Cooley over AC/DC anyday. And what you consider listenable could be considered intolerable by others.

not really, just because you like a band doesn't mean they are very listenable.

if you ever want a music career at all, you have to play things that other people like to listen to. period

95% of the world, will not listen to rusty cooley if they had the choice of ac/dc

PooKoo
04-29-2006, 04:25 PM
but we are the 5 percent.

Freepower
04-29-2006, 04:57 PM

if you ever want a music career at all, you have to play things that other people like to listen to. period

Well, yes, but who ARE those people? Theres the rub.

There are people who would pay to listen to this (http://www.misterjoker.com) y'know, Rusty doesnt exactly compare.

Stratwizard, you might wanna look at it, seeing as your a fellow berzerkerer fan.

NevermorePsalm
04-29-2006, 06:30 PM
*realizes he's wearing his AC/DC shirt*

Oh.

I love 'em both.

:p: That reminds me that I barely ever listen to AC/DC any more, but I still wear the shirt. Maybe cause trying to buy a Lane shirt is hard as heck.

psychodelia
04-30-2006, 12:04 AM

95% of the world, will not listen to rusty cooley if they had the choice of ac/dc

I would agree 95% of the U.S. (or some significant majority). Other countries sometimes appreciate different things, however. I believe Yngwie makes a ton of his money from Japan and other countries.

Erc
04-30-2006, 12:18 AM

How the hell do you define whether something is "listenable" or not?

No matter what you play, there will always be an audiance. You can have a music career playing virtually anything. You also forget session and studio music. And what about producing and engineering? There are a lot of different "music careers" out there, it certainly isn't limited to playing in a pop band.

Godly Moose
04-30-2006, 01:35 AM

That's retarded that's saying I'm going to have to keep playing what's popular in that time period. If it was like this there would be no interesting music because everyone would be doing the same.

SnowballofDoom
04-30-2006, 01:57 AM

Erm, not really.

If you want to be well known, well yeah, you have to play what the majority of people want to hear. But just having a career in music, and making a living from it? You don't have to compromise your style for that, because for every artist, there is a fanbase. Of course the size of the fanbase is debateable, and whether or not there will be enough support to make a living from selling albums, but a career in music doesn't just mean selling out arenas.

Even if you slap a pot with a polish sausage and scream 'beaver scratches' as you dance in a suggestive manner, someone, somewhere will enjoy it. What's listenable is highly subjective, because for every genre, there is a fanbase (no matter the size). And while I don't consider it a genre, shred has an established fanbase, thus is listenable.

If you want to make it as a popular musician, you have to play what people want to hear. If the the kind of music you want to make is the kind of music the masses want to hear, well yeehaw, you're in luck! But if you love writing 15 minute prog epics, your fanbase will be a quite bit smaller.

You can still have a musical career nonetheless.

Stratwizard
04-30-2006, 03:46 AM
Stratwizard, you might wanna look at it, seeing as your a fellow berzerkerer fan.

Definitely interesting! I'll have to listen more... :)

slash_620
04-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Even if you slap a pot with a polish sausage and scream 'beaver scratches' as you dance in a suggestive manner, someone, somewhere will enjoy it. What's listenable is highly subjective, because for every genre, there is a fanbase (no matter the size). And while I don't consider it a genre, shred has an established fanbase, thus is listenable.

Is anyone else thinking what i'm thinking?

mr_clapton
04-30-2006, 07:06 PM
that hes right?......

anything is listenable if your not death, how can something not be listenable unless its super high pitched but even then dogs can LISTEN to the sound. the whole listenable idea is stupid.

Stratwizard
05-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Everything is listenable unless you're deaf.

metalmaster362
05-02-2006, 06:22 PM
i am a prophet

i can see the future

hahahahahahaha mortals....

gapster
05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Erm, not really.

If you want to be well known, well yeah, you have to play what the majority of people want to hear. But just having a career in music, and making a living from it? You don't have to compromise your style for that, because for every artist, there is a fanbase. Of course the size of the fanbase is debateable, and whether or not there will be enough support to make a living from selling albums, but a career in music doesn't just mean selling out arenas.

If you want to make it as a popular musician, you have to play what people want to hear. If the the kind of music you want to make is the kind of music the masses want to hear, well yeehaw, you're in luck! But if you love writing 15 minute prog epics, your fanbase will be a quite bit smaller.

You can still have a musical career nonetheless.

depends on your country too.if you are in north korea or something i would say your market is close to 0%

Scorzerci
05-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Is anyone else thinking what i'm thinking?
LETS DO IT!

ShredDemon
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Memo to the Slash fanboy who defended ACDC:
ACDC and all 60s and 70s rock artist stole their stuff from blues musicians! I like ACDC but they didnt event their stuff.

scheck006
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM
please don't get into the original arguement.

PooKoo
05-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Memo to the Slash fanboy who defended ACDC:
ACDC and all 60s and 70s rock artist stole their stuff from blues musicians! I like ACDC but they didnt event their stuff.

please just go away.

Skrewdriver
05-06-2006, 09:18 AM
I reckon there will be another amazing shredder, like an Einstein of shredding. Like Jesus or something. He shall beith the shredder to end all shredders.

On a more serious note...

I think that shredding will die out.

trollblod
05-06-2006, 09:53 AM
^Music doesn't die out, I repeats itself.

Edit: Yeah, Reinvents is a better word.

greensand
05-06-2006, 11:43 AM
^it reinvents itself.

scheck006
05-06-2006, 02:57 PM
mark tremonti is a new shredder. I wouldn't say he's as big as vai or satch, but he's definitely getting up there.

Resiliance
05-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Mark Tremonti hasn't got the chops.

Stratwizard
05-07-2006, 10:38 AM
He's mediocre guitarist, but nowhere near a shredder.

Freepower
05-07-2006, 05:52 PM
He's a bit ballox, lets face it.

mr_clapton
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
haha mark tremonti = pwned

scheck006
05-07-2006, 06:33 PM
ahavo rabo taco salad?

SuburbanCowboy
05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Allthough I've never really liked any of his bands (creed, alter bridge), I recognize that Mark Tremonti is about as good of a rock guitarist as they come. I mean, you gotta at least give the guy some credit. He throws sweep-picking runs into his solos these days. But like I said, he's a rock guitarist. Not fluent or technically proficient enough to be considered a shredder, in my opinion

scheck006
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
not techincally proficient enough? he does petrucci and gilbert stuff for 8 hours a day when he's on tour.

SuburbanCowboy
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
not techincally proficient enough? he does petrucci and gilbert stuff for 8 hours a day when he's on tour.

I've seen his chop workouts on the Guitar World Cd-roms and such. I know he practices like a monster and he can do fast scale runs all day. Which is fine is you're trying to impress the crowd during your 3-minute solo spot at a show. But I still havent heard any actual musical piece from him that incorporated melody and speed.

Of course, I know could be wrong too. If theres any soundclips or vids of him shredding melodically and not just running through scales, then please post them. I would actually like to see that.

Stratwizard
05-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I've seen his chop workouts on the Guitar World Cd-roms and such. I know he practices like a monster and he can do fast scale runs all day. Which is fine is you're trying to impress the crowd during your 3-minute solo spot at a show. But I still havent heard any actual musical piece from him that incorporated melody and speed.

Of course, I know could be wrong too. If theres any soundclips or vids of him shredding melodically and not just running through scales, then please post them. I would actually like to see that.

Sometimes it's harder to put everything you want play into just 3 minute solo instead of a long piece.

Besides, any music - unless it's purely rhytmical - incorporates melody.

Not defending Tremonti though. I hate his style.

scheck006
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
alter bridge - open your eyes

I think. that was their big hit.

Godly Moose
05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
^Music doesn't die out, I repeats itself.

Edit: Yeah, Reinvents is a better word.

Except in 1,000 years when we lose our pinky to evolution, and we will have songs that we'll never be able to be played again.

mr_clapton
05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
but the guitar players still use the pinky finger therefore by evolution our fingers will grow to sizes never seen before!

...maybe

Godly Moose
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Or we could create a whole new race... the guitar playing race. Fingers of Buckethead, Technique of Cooley, and compostion like Vai... damn that would be totaly freakin awesome.

scheck006
05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
except fingers are the only trait that's genetic

Godly Moose
05-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Not If You're The Furhur And Everything Else Is Unacceptable.

Rox0r713
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
We haven't come far enough from the "old" music to go back to it yet. We won't go back into a huge opera/classical craze until 2100 I figure. Until then? Couldn't say for sure. My best guess is guitar will lose its fame, and we'll see a new generation of superbassists over the next 40 years.

Shred + Bass = :eek:

Resiliance
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Not If You're The Furhur And Everything Else Is Unacceptable.

Furhur?

Führer? :p:

trollblod
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
^ Just what I was thinking

nomadic_sinner
05-13-2006, 06:16 PM
i really think guys like chris broderick and jeff loomis and michael amott will be leading the new shred generation. but god forbid the current one dies