Whitesnake guitarist

PDA

View Full Version : Whitesnake guitarist

jhslw
04-24-2006, 07:04 AM
There's been a few. Just wondering who everyone liked? The obvious one would be Steve Vai. But what do you guy's think about Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach, Vivian Campbell(sp?), Adrian Vandenberg, John Sykes...

FadingRoots
04-24-2006, 07:41 AM
They all really kinda blend together in my eyes. Theyre all good, but theyre no Vai.

wil
04-24-2006, 08:03 AM
didnt Adrian Vandeberg try some strange picking technique which left him unable to play at all? if so, that kinda sucks...
Ive also Heard that Vai admitted to joining Whitesnake purely so his music could be heard!!

Reemster
04-24-2006, 08:07 AM
John Sykes' playing on the 1987 album is very tasteful imo. I like Slip of the Tongue with Vai: although it came nowhere near the 1987 album in terms of sales ( and music maybe) I still think it's a good album. These are the only two I have btw.

I recently bought the Live In The Still Of The Night DVD and I absolutely love it. Doug Aldrich's performance ( along with the rest of the band's ) is amazing, and I kinda felt that Reb Beach functioned as a second guitar player, rather than being equal to Aldrich. But that's just my opinion, anyone may disagree :)
All in all it's a great band, with many good guitar players.

Stratwizard
04-24-2006, 08:45 AM
John Sykes was the best.

Vai was completely out of place in Whitesnake. Just horrible. :puke:

flamencogod
04-24-2006, 09:43 AM
^^ the slip of the tounge album sounds perfect imo

mamakin87
04-24-2006, 11:57 AM
john sykes is the ultimate... i saw him play a while ago in thin lizzy and he was amazing!

Resiliance
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Reb.

Witch-king
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
^^ the slip of the tounge album sounds perfect imo

I agree, he fucking makes that album. The song 'Cheap an' Nasty' would be utter crap with any other guitarest but Vai make it my favourite WS song. I love that massive bend at the start of the solo..

PooKoo
04-24-2006, 05:11 PM
They all really kinda blend together in my eyes. Theyre all good, but theyre no Vai.

i thought vai kinda sucked in whitesnake, at least what i heard.

much better with dlr.

jhslw
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I just know Reb from his Winger day's. Ive never heard Aldrich. Can anyone recommend anything by him. I have to believe Steve joined the band to get to get his music heard and collect a paycheck. Which is what we all want right....

Reemster
04-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Aldrich has played with many artists, but I got to know him ( not personally of course) when he was in Dio's band. Saw him live back then and he was very impressive. Here's his discography:
http://www.dougaldrich.com/html/discography.html The Live In The Still Of The Night DVD with Whitesnake isn't on there yet. ( He's also on Dio's Killing The Dragon DVD, which also isn't mentioned there.

PooKoo
04-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Dio is awesome, i wonder why noone seems to talk about them much?

Jakeylee111
04-25-2006, 02:55 PM
John Sykes was the best.

I agree.

John Sykes in Blue Murder ruled. :cool:

Sweetbabyjezuz
04-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I recently watched a Reb Beach video and quite enjoyed it. If that counts for anything.

jackson_friedma
04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
john sykes is awesome
reb beach is also an amazing guitarist i dont know a lot of his WS stuff but some of the songs he did with winger were amazing

~1954~
04-27-2006, 06:07 AM
I dont know about the others apart from Vai, but Sykes is a great player, great influence of mine.

guywithaguitar1
04-27-2006, 02:49 PM

They're really more of a metal band, that could be one reason why.

Jakeleigh1986
04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I think Doug Aldrich is amazing. His sound, attitude, its great. Really enjoy watching them with him. Ok i'm too young to have any others to compare him too, but I can imagine that John Sykes was also totally amazing. Is usually unblievable when I see him with Thin Lizzy when they gig.

C.C. Deville
05-07-2006, 09:59 PM
yeah reb beach is from winger and is amazing doug aldrich is pretty good from wut ive heard by him, whitesnake has had a very unstable band lol

tombo32
05-08-2006, 04:03 AM
:headbang: John Sykes & Reb Beach :headbang:

I haven't really had time to listen to 'Slip of the Tongue' (bought it 2 days ago) so I wont comment on Vai, but knowing him (yes I know him, we are best friends) it will be good.

C.C. Deville
05-22-2006, 09:59 PM
wow i didnt know that reb beach was with whitesnake... i love reb beach from winger good guitarist... good guitarist, doug aldrich is pretty good and adrian vanderburg or wutever is pretty good... which guitarist were on whitesnakes album "whitesnake" i know on slip of the tounge it was vai and adrian

C.C. Deville
05-22-2006, 10:00 PM
u can tell which songs have vai in them by the pinches and just his style

Blackmore86
11-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Because Coverdale is very unstable!

Aldrich TOTALLY ROCKS, he plays with attitude and when its time to play fast, he totally shreds.

I heard 1987 and Sykes playing is amazing! I would like to hear his stuff in Thin Lizzy...

Rockwolf
11-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Reb Beach, i saw them a while ago and i felt he was the better guitar player

flyingVai
11-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm a huge fan of Vai's work. Does that mean I'll like his stuff with Whitesnake? Or is it not worth checking out for a Vai fan?

GraveSs
11-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Which guitar player had that awesome looking custom painted black guitar during there self titled album? Its on the "Still Of The Night" and "Is This Love" videos.

On the "Still Of The Night" video, the guitar player used a violin bow on it during the interlude.

Does anyone have a good picture of it?

Stratwizard
11-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm a huge fan of Vai's work. Does that mean I'll like his stuff with Whitesnake? Or is it not worth checking out for a Vai fan?

You love it or hate it. I hate it.

bucky_2300
11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Sykes is my immediate choice, although Vai would have to be up there too. I really like his playing with Alcatrazz, and it's pretty similar with WS.

lit1219
12-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Dio would be better if they still had Vivian Campbell instead of Goldy, well i at leased think that.

But all of Whitesnakes guitarists were great and still are in my opinion

Charley73
12-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Viv is still my fave though he didn't get much love on this forum

blues_guitarist
12-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Man, John Sykes is the reason Whitesnake made quality albums. Not only on the 87' album, but on earlier cuts like 'Slide It In' and 'Love Ain't No Stranger'.

Vai may be technically better (and of course, he is), but Sykes has the edge IMO when playing the hard stuff with gritty feeling. Aldrich burns as heard on songs like the 'Last in Line' from Dio's live CD, but unfortunately, Doug or Reb can't keep up with the other two.

FEDS-91
12-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Tough call. Vai even said all he was doing was being a hired gun. Sykes wrote most of the S/T (or 1987 across the pond) and that was a great disc. But, I like Reb and Doug's playing a hell of a lot. To me its a tossup between Aldrich, Sykes and Beach.

powerlord
12-28-2006, 01:41 AM
John Sykes' playing on the 1987 album is very tasteful imo. I like Slip of the Tongue with Vai: although it came nowhere near the 1987 album in terms of sales ( and music maybe) I still think it's a good album. These are the only two I have btw.

I recently bought the Live In The Still Of The Night DVD and I absolutely love it. Doug Aldrich's performance ( along with the rest of the band's ) is amazing, and I kinda felt that Reb Beach functioned as a second guitar player, rather than being equal to Aldrich. But that's just my opinion, anyone may disagree :)
All in all it's a great band, with many good guitar players.

Doug Aldrich put Reb in the shadows on that DVD for good reason,better player and you could tell who Coverdale was showing the most love to,ole Doug!Sykes was the pioneer of whitesnakes guitar sound,but alas he is still no Doug Alderich who is the most underrated guitarist alive!!!! Sykes is utterly amazing though!!!

Resiliance
12-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Well, no. Not because Aldrich is a better player, but because Reb has respect for the guy. Just like Paul Gilbert when he lays back a bit to let the people he jams with shine - so does Reb.

And for gods sake, one exclamation mark will do.

paddyo
12-28-2006, 08:29 AM
^Yeah I love that about Paul, great quality to have in any aspect of life. :)

Just reminds me of Let it Be with him and Shawn:
Paul's guitar part: Rhythm and 20 second pre-verse filler.
Shawn: 3 minute solo. :p:

powerlord
12-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Well, no. Not because Aldrich is a better player, but because Reb has respect for the guy. Just like Paul Gilbert when he lays back a bit to let the people he jams with shine - so does Reb.

And for gods sake, one exclamation mark will do.

Hey you must be one of those guys that practices mainly with Reb and Doug you flippin moron!Look another exclamation mark!!! How in the hell do you know what Reb at that moment was doing,did coverdale call you and tell you to tell everyone else so they wouldn't worry? Also are you blind? Have you watched Doug play,do you know technical ability and speed when you see it?Know it all!

Resiliance
12-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey you must be one of those guys that practices mainly with Reb and Doug you flippin moron!Look another exclamation mark!!! How in the hell do you know what Reb at that moment was doing,did coverdale call you and tell you to tell everyone else so they wouldn't worry? Also are you blind? Have you watched Doug play,do you know technical ability and speed when you see it?Know it all!

Learn to spell and use proper punctuation, grow up, then come back and try to argue with me. Maybe then you'll merit a response.

powerlord
12-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't want to argue with you,I would like to meet you personally and talk in depth about this.

waylay00
12-30-2006, 01:40 AM
John Sykes was best.

Vai sounded great with them, but it ceased to be Whitesnake in my opinion.

blacklabelsdmf
01-01-2007, 11:44 PM
yeah, Vai with his hair metal look is so much diffrent then his modern version of Jimmy Page today with all the dragons and shit, but Vivian Campbell is pretty awesome. his work when he was working with Ronnie James Dio on Holy Diver is just kick ass.

Night_Lights
01-05-2007, 05:01 AM
all i know is Sykes can shred like hell!

Dave_Straw
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Im a firm believer that this year's Good To Be Bad album rivals any other the previous releases, and the twin guitar work from Doug and Reb is exemplary in every case, no duff tracks. Aldrich all the way.

Retro Rocker
07-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Doug and Reb did a dual guitar solo when I saw them a few weeks ago.
Reb's tapping was incredible.

tombo32
07-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Huge bump. Nice.

^ And Reb's tapping is indeed awesome.

MoleMania
07-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Reb is mah favourite.

NaivexLi
07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm only now getting into Whitesnake

mainly becasue when I first started listening to them I got tired of trying to see who all was in the band.

It is amaizng to me how unstable that band was through all the lineups.

but after reading through this thread I've been going through and giving each guitar player (and each line up overall) their shot.

and from what I'm seeing so far I'm about in love with Sykes.

I love Vai as a guitar player and musician, but Vai is at his best in his own solo world.

Put Vai in a hair metal setting and he seems too.... well, he seems too structured for his own playing.

Sykes however seems to fit Whitesnake's overall sound incredibly well.

Not to mention what I've seen from Doug so far is nothing short of amazing as well ^_^

Snake™
07-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Vai and Reb were the best.

Jlovesmetal
07-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Vai is awesome and one of my favourite guitarists but I'd have to say Sykes was better in Whitesnake.

Supernaut2k
07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Sykes, all the way, and also the early guitarists Mick Moody and Marsden.

Vai was "ok" in Whitesnake, i dont like any of his stuff to be honest, i think he ruined Alcatrazz too, Adrian Vandenburg is way more my type of player, i regret him being in Vai's Shadow.

Sykes and Vandenburg would be my dream duo for whitesnake, I like the thing they have with Reb and Adrian now though, they are both very proficient guitarists, but they dont have the same vibe as the more oldschool players i think. And none of them can riff like Sykes i bet, his alternate picking is some of the tightest ive ever seen.

Retro Rocker
07-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Warren DeMartini did a tour with Whitesnake at some point too, I think.
He's one of my favourite 80's guitarists.

ferretjoe
08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
John Sykes was the best.

Yep, Vai didn't fit there, Didn't fit in Alcatrazz, Didn't fit in PIL either, He sounds way too unusual for that kinda stuff, Can't weigh in on Aldrich or Beach, but they're both monsters. imo, Sykes and Vandenberg were the best in Coverdale,inc. Where are you lately Adje?????? haven't heard jack ****e since Blue Murder :peace:

Wasp
08-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Sykes, all the way, and also the early guitarists Mick Moody and Marsden.

Vai was "ok" in Whitesnake, i dont like any of his stuff to be honest, i think he ruined Alcatrazz too, Adrian Vandenburg is way more my type of player, i regret him being in Vai's Shadow.

Sykes and Vandenburg would be my dream duo for whitesnake, I like the thing they have with Reb and Adrian now though, they are both very proficient guitarists, but they dont have the same vibe as the more oldschool players i think. And none of them can riff like Sykes i bet, his alternate picking is some of the tightest ive ever seen.

Totally agreed on Sykes and Vandenburg :)

public property
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
The only alcatrazz song I actually like is desert diamond, the whole thing is really powerful to my ears.
I totally agree on whitesnake though, vais sound just didn't fit.

HairBandFreak98
08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I think that Reb Beach is a really good guitarist. He was in Winger, Dokken, and Night Ranger. He did awesome in Whitesnake'sGood to be Bad album.