Jeff buckley

PDA

View Full Version : Jeff buckley

punkyallahphont
04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
i am a major major major major jeff buckley fan! i really love his music! he was so talented at everything in a musical sense, and he's a true inspiration to me aswel and i was just wondering if anyone felt the same, oh and does anyone else get a chill down their spine when he's scream near the end of "so real"?

LKW
04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
The amount of dead musicians is staggering. But if i could revive one dead musician, it's Jeff Buckley. Not only was he amazingly talented, but he just went so early in his carreer. It feels like he had so much more to offer musically.

It's a well known fact that dying on the peak or sudden rise of your fame grants you the title of "legend" pretty much automatically. But with Jeff, i'm positive that he would have grown out to be a legend anyway. You can tell by listening to Grace and Sketches that he was no one-trick pony. Not everything on Sketches is good, which makes sense because it's unfinished and unselected. But the highlights make me believe that he could have made another record just as good as Grace - without repeating himself. Opened Once is hauntingly beautiful, Morning Theft is great songwriting stripped down to perfection and Everybody Here Wants You is industrial strength sex fudge with mojo sprinkles on top.

punkyallahphont
04-25-2006, 01:55 PM
so true :p: the stuff he did was crazy and if he were still around my god the world would be a better place

jallas
04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
does anyone else get a chill down their spine when he's scream near the end of "so real"?
i get a chill down my spine to any of his songs.

i do.

i absolutely love the guy and if he weren't dead he'd have me camping outside his house like the crazy fan that i am.

Dirk Gently
04-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Instead, you have to deal with just rolling out a sleeping bag and sleeping on his grave? I'm completely gay for Jeff Buckley.

punkyallahphont
04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
lol, nicely said ! i would have loved to have heard a propper studio version of demon john or anythin on sketches, tis a kick ass album!

Dirk Gently
04-25-2006, 02:20 PM
My favorite album of his is Live at Sin-e, the deluxe edition. I think it really shows off his guitar skills and musical vocabulary. Have you ever heard someone cover a Pakistani guru, Bob Dylan, Edith Piaf, and Led Zeppelin all in the same set? Absolutely astonishing music.

punkyallahphont
04-25-2006, 02:26 PM
My favorite album of his is Live at Sin-e, the deluxe edition. I think it really shows off his guitar skills and musical vocabulary. Have you ever heard someone cover a Pakistani guru, Bob Dylan, Edith Piaf, and Led Zeppelin all in the same set? Absolutely astonishing music.

same here tis my favourite, you forgot van morisson, nina simone and duane eddy (well the monologue), lewis allan and Mr. Cohen

jallas
04-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Instead, you have to deal with just rolling out a sleeping bag and sleeping on his grave?
gets me some funny looks, i tell ya.

oblique
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Ha, his sped up cover of Kashmir is awesome. He's a great musician, I'd give pretty much anything to be able to sing like him.

punkyallahphont
04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Ha, his sped up cover of Kashmir is awesome. He's a great musician, I'd give pretty much anything to be able to sing like him.

yeah i know what you mean, i hit most and lowish notes but the only problem is switching from on to another, he was so lucky imagine is voice went barry white style
when he hit puberty

bluewilliams
04-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Live at Sin-e's my fave album too, legal eagle. its got some fantastic covers and the early versions of the original stuff are great too. mystery white boys a great live album as well.

punkyallahphont
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Live at Sin-e's my fave album too, legal eagle. its got some fantastic covers and the early versions of the original stuff are great too. mystery white boys a great live album as well.

i love the version of grace on mystery white boy aswel as everything else

concentus=music
04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
i am a major major major major jeff buckley fan! i really love his music! he was so talented at everything in a musical sense, and he's a true inspiration to me aswel and i was just wondering if anyone felt the same, oh and does anyone else get a chill down their spine when he's scream near the end of "so real"?

i get those exact same chills that little moments is soo awesomely brilliant

its a shame he died so soon...i also thinks its a shame that his most famous song is a cover when he was such a brilliant song writer (although hallelujah is still an awesome song)

ź├Fire¤nside╗
04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Sketches is impossible to find around here. Nothing live either...I had to search just to find Grace, thank God I found it. Unreal record, one of my favourites of all the albums I own.

punkyallahphont
04-26-2006, 06:39 AM
even though theres only one propper album there is tone of jeff cds, i have the following:

grace :legacy edition
live at sin-Ŕ :legacy edition
sketches for my sweetheart the drunk
the mystery white boy tour
live at the O'Lympia

theres still a few more i wanna get there are 2 more live cds (that i know of) the eps and the live in chicago dvd

oh and i have one tim buckley album aswel timbuckley/hello and goodbye

Dirk Gently
04-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Live at L'Olympia is impossible to get in the US for under $40. Damn you Europeans!!! But I've got the same CDs, otherwise, along with a couple tracks from the EPs and the Live at Chicago DVD, which is great. It's interesting comparing how he does the tracks on Live at Chicago v. how they're done on Mystery White Boy, since they were both taken from the same tour. "What Would You Say?" on Mystery White Boy pwns.

punkyallahphont
04-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Live at L'Olympia is impossible to get in the US for under $40. Damn you Europeans!!! But I've got the same CDs, otherwise, along with a couple tracks from the EPs and the Live at Chicago DVD, which is great. It's interesting comparing how he does the tracks on Live at Chicago v. how they're done on Mystery White Boy, since they were both taken from the same tour. "What Would You Say?" on Mystery White Boy pwns.

forty ****ing dollars! i got its for ?7 in a cd shop n thats like $5! holy ****! and regards the dvd coment he never played the same song the same way twice! ..........holy **** $40..............

Dirk Gently
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah, it was never officially released in the US and must be purchased as an import. :(

punkyallahphont
04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
well if i see another one for ?7 i get it and send it over to ya

Dirk Gently
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
You're my personal hero. :down:

dominusdominus
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
You're my personal hero. :down:

why thank you! (this is punky here my account wouldnt work so i made a new one)

doc bonez
09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
wow, I just got turned on to Jeff Buckley's music recently. my gf kept trying to get me to listen to it, and I'd heard a few songs and though it was just good music and nothing too special...boy was I wrong

the guy had a talent like only a few others in history in that he transcends his own music with the soul he puts into it...technically it is music, but it feels like something else entirely...like it was created in a whole separate universe

I just felt the uncontrollable urge to rant about the man, he's changed not only the way I look at music, but the way I look at a great many things

Dirk Gently
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
the guy had a talent like only a few others in history in that he transcends his own music with the soul he puts into it...technically it is music, but it feels like something else entirely...like it was created in a whole separate universe

I just felt the uncontrollable urge to rant about the man, he's changed not only the way I look at music, but the way I look at a great many things
That's exactly how I felt about it when I first started to seriously listen to Grace. His music vocabulary and ability was supernatural.

daft
09-14-2006, 02:56 PM
wow, I just got turned on to Jeff Buckley's music recently. my gf kept trying to get me to listen to it, and I'd heard a few songs and though it was just good music and nothing too special...boy was I wrong

:cheers:

Buckley is incredible. I only really got into his music this year but I am very glad I did as I find that his music can really hit some emotions in my brain that very few (if any) artists can. His beautiful voice, his excellent guitar playing and just the fact that he could sing practically anything.
Lately, his music and more specifically his singing has made me want to get singing lessons - but don't get me wrong, I don't believe that I will get in a million years as good as his voice :p: Rather that I just want to improve my own.

jagstang270
09-14-2006, 05:57 PM
I really really hope his movie wont suck, I want them to cast someone big, who has a sense of his work.

Child In Time
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm going through another obsessive Jeff Buckley phase. Absolutely fantastic.

Dirk Gently
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
^ I agree. I'm listening to Live at L'Olympia right now :D

When he goes "She's a tear that hangs inside my soul forever," it sent a chill up my spine. Sometimes his vocalizing can get annoying, but there are so many moments of absolute perfection that it's easily forgivable.

Rodders
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
One word for his music: Beautiful

Child In Time
12-06-2006, 01:29 PM
It's all just absolutely unreal. I've been listening to Mystery White Boy for about two weeks straight, with no other bands. I'm not going to linger on any 'what ifs', because that's pointless. But...

jagstang270
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
yeah, you can't help but to suck on his music for years...

Andrewbiles
12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm going through another obsessive Jeff Buckley phase. Absolutely fantastic.

Same here. I managed to (finally) find his St. Ann's performance last week and a rare radio show where he performs a bunch of covers, both absolutely amazing. His cover of Van Morrison's 'The way young lovers do' is one of the best covers I've ever heard.

fronkpies
12-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Is it just me who saves Grace for special occasions?

For me its one of those albums that has such an amazing mood/feeling attached to it I dont dare play it everyday incase it starts wearing off.

EDIT:

Just looking at the track listing for that, whats his cover of "I shall be released" like?

I have the bob Dylan version, not sure what album its from, Its just under essential Bob dylan on my playlist, but his voice is on top form.

Dirk Gently
12-06-2006, 04:36 PM
^ I've never heard the Dylan version, but the cover is standard Buckley fare - i.e., good.

Strat_Monkey
12-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Buckley rules. There was this Greek mythological dude called Orpheus who was meant to be able to move rocks and trees 'coz his singing was amazing. Buckley is, I think we can all agree, his re-incarnation.

Diversity
12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I really really hope his movie wont suck, I want them to cast someone big, who has a sense of his work.

i heard Brad Pitt is a fan. haha but seriously Jeff Buckley is amazing.

daft
12-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Just looking at the track listing for that, whats his cover of "I shall be released" like?

I have the bob Dylan version, not sure what album its from, Its just under essential Bob dylan on my playlist, but his voice is on top form.

It is one of my favourites of Live at Sin-e......he nails it prefectly and he makes the song into this cry of freedom while he is just singing in a cafe....outstanding stuff.

dwnbowden
12-21-2006, 01:56 PM
If you like Jeff Buckley then you should like Jack Penate (www.myspace.com/jackpenate) , I'm not saying he is anywhere near as good but he is influenced by Jeff.

Anyway back on topic Jeff Buckley is by far my favourite singer/songwriter. He was incredible at everythiong he turned his hand to. My favourite song is Last Goodbye, I love the melodies in that song and the unusual song structure.

nigelthronberry
12-21-2006, 04:03 PM
As great as Buckley is, does anyone else agree that Lilac Wine is an awful song?

Dirk Gently
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
^ Lilac Wine is a cover of a song by female jazz vocalist Nina Simone and is better than the original, IMO.

Andrewbiles
12-21-2006, 05:50 PM
^ Nina Simone covered it. It was by James Shelton or something.

(but yeah, not one of his best)

Satch_Boogie
12-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Jeff is a legend. I mean Grace is one of the greatest albums ever. I love Forget Here (bonus track I think...)

The man can send chills down your spine with his haunting voice.

caz_guitar_dude
01-02-2007, 06:29 PM
I've said it once and i'll say it again: You'll never ever hear a voice like his again. His death is a true tradjedy

Abe
01-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah, Jeff Buckley was amazing. Grace was near perfect, Sketches had some brilliant moments, and Live at Sin-e had higlights too. It seems that no-one else feels that some of his covers were overly long, indulgent, and not as good as they could have been like I do, or they're afraid of saying it.

Dirk Gently
01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
^ All of his live stuff is overly long and self-indulgent. A 9 minute version of "Lover, You Should've Come Over?" Of course it's masturbatory. But Jeff was an "artiste;" it's par for the course. Complaining his stuff is overly long and indulgent is like making the same complaint about The Grateful Dead or Phish.

Andrewbiles
01-03-2007, 11:37 AM
It seems that no-one else feels that some of his covers were overly long, indulgent, and not as good as they could have been like I do, or they're afraid of saying it.

I'm putting up the greatest cover he did (in my opinion) for you after that comment. Its a bit of a big file as its a .wav, but it really deserves the quality and worth downloading.
Some of his covers were a bit long, I completely agree, especially 'kangaroo' - although I don't know how long Big Star's version was, I doubt it was 22 minutes...

EDIT: Really, check this (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=401IZMR9) out if you can. 52mb, but its the greatest 'the way young lovers do' cover you'll ever hear.

Abe
01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
^ All of his live stuff is overly long and self-indulgent. A 9 minute version of "Lover, You Should've Come Over?" Of course it's masturbatory. But Jeff was an "artiste;" it's par for the course. Complaining his stuff is overly long and indulgent is like making the same complaint about The Grateful Dead or Phish.

I get what you're saying, and the truth is that I like a lot of his live stuff, even most of his covers, it's just some of it is just a little too far over the top for my liking. I'm mainly thinking his version of Dink's Song, and though it's not the longest, I get lost in the middle of his 'If You See Her...' cover. It's usually a good thing if theres a full band (like say a Greatful Dead track, or Electric Ladyland era or live Hendrix); but one man and a guitar, not even Buckley could hold me through that. I'd listen to Dylans version of that song first anyday. Course it's all just opinion though.

^Wheres this version from. I know the 10:05 version on Sin-e, which, to be fair and honest, is brilliant.

Andrewbiles
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
WFMU radio show, just over five minutes long. The show was full of covers (decent show if you can find it) but this one stands out.

Abe
01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah I like it.

Abe
02-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Time for a reminder of how great this guy is??

...i think so.

Has there been any more word about this supposed movie?

Lost_Rose
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
^Wheres this version from. I know the 10:05 version on Sin-e, which, to be fair and honest, is brilliant.

That whole album is brilliant

Abe
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
^Sure is. I've been listening to disc 2 before I go to bed on a night. I've always preffered the first disc with all his originals on, but the second disc is just as cracking.

His banter with the crowd never ceases to amuse.

Andrewbiles
02-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Time for a reminder of how great this guy is??

...i think so.

Has there been any more word about this supposed movie?

Check imdb.com, usually there are pretty good details on there.