Comp Ideas Thread - APR/JUN

PDA

View Full Version : Comp Ideas Thread - APR/JUN

The Hurt Within
04-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Post your comp ideas here, this is where the scoffing or beatific nature of the contest forums' users will be most apparent, when you have a resonable amount of blessed souls in tow, post the "sign-up" thread.

Where anyone willing to participate can put their name forward (first come/first serve)
and where the threadstarter shall outline the paremeters of the comp, like how many rounds/competitors etc.

Thats all, now try and get some originality into this forum!!

peACE

TrigFunction
04-24-2006, 05:53 PM
I think we should do a contest on the PROCESS of writing songs..um... yeah you get what imean. I said it before but i was ignored...

#1 synth
04-24-2006, 06:01 PM
ya, or a metacritical contest, writing about your writing

T.S.R.
04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
what about a contest that people get to write two songs and then people vote on their better one. then all of the 'better ones' go into a larger comp of about 20 or so people. then people vote on their favorite person, the top 10 then have to write another song, and post it. then people vote on that song, then the TOP 5 write another, and the best song in the TOP 5 wins.

idk. i suck at making things up. but maybe about a day or so for people to vote on the songs in each round.

#1 synth
04-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I posted this in the other thread:

well, i was just reading the moving pictures thread in the pit and i realized that that would be a very good comp (if it hasnt been done before). The comp would be me posting a picture and then everyone who enters would have two days from posting to write a poem based on it (with other various rules maybe, like only iambic pentameter or something) We would repeat the process 3 times, posting the entries in seperate threads based on the rounds and which picture they correspond to. i would then assign points to the 1st 2nd and 3rd place winners in each round and the person with the highest number of points in the end wins the comp. if that made any sense, would that be an alright idea for a comp?

TrigFunction
04-24-2006, 06:24 PM
hmmm thats actually a comp we already do quite often :P

furtherfan21
04-24-2006, 06:24 PM
HTa'ts been done before, a picture comp it was cool. mnus the various other rules that makes it too contricting i feel. IT was just like a small little bracket thing though. with only one picture. although i like your idea but i think it is far too complex/ involves too much commitment for people on UG. I would be up for it.

furtherfan21
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
So uhm if i did another ten words comp would people sign up?

#1 synth
04-27-2006, 09:58 PM
i would, it seems like a challenge

Final
04-28-2006, 02:16 AM
What ever happened to the March Madness thing?

furtherfan21
04-30-2006, 07:27 PM
It fell apart

pumpkins_rule
05-02-2006, 10:19 AM
It fell apart

Could we still have a May madness contest? I'd be willing to run it.

falloutboy
05-04-2006, 02:01 PM
how about we just have like. a compppp of all comps.
like we used to have?

like with 16-24 people where you can write about anything?
those were more exciting and might get more of a variety of people to join.
and we can make blake and mike and corey and them join.

or have another
veterans vs. newbiesss comp.
those are fun.
plus we will winnn.
veterans that is.

butforgrace
05-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Haha.

Final
05-04-2006, 02:48 PM
^Haha, I like those ideas.

#1 synth
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
n00bies unite!... i'd actually be willing to give that a go, even though the newbs would lose considerably.

furtherfan21
05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
what is the term noob? like how long? because it doesn't see mthere are too many veterans around

#1 synth
05-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I dunno, i'd say before January 06 ;)

furtherfan21
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
you mean after?

#1 synth
05-04-2006, 10:24 PM
well i mean the vets would be anyone who joined before Jan. and the noobs (i'm trying to find everyway to express the sentiment) are anyone who joined Jan-May

DanteR*
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I dunno, i'd say before January 06 ;)

Do you mean that as in... are they noobs if they havent posted a piece before January 06 or do you mean if they joined UG before January 06?

#1 synth
05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
i would say joined, but either works.

Final
05-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I figured the vets would be the users from the '02-'04 years and the noobs would be from '05-'06 or something. With the exception of users who made new accounts.

#1 synth
05-04-2006, 10:39 PM
are there that many S+L regulars that are 'old school' (from '02-'04)? If there are enough than thats great, i just used '06 as a cutoff because there didnt seem to be enough veterans

Final
05-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I could think of quite a few old schoolers, but they rarely post here anymore. But we'd totally convince them to get on up in this action. And if not, then we could work something else out. It doesn't even matter that much, either way it should be a nice comp.

#1 synth
05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
what would be really cool is if you could get a bunch of the old school S+L frequenters (like non boxed) to sign up for just one more comp, It seems as though they were very good.

EpitaphMan440
05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, I'm an vet of the ol' UG forums, but relatively new to S&L. It's my new favorite place on the site. I use to frequent the Recording forum, but now I find satisfaction is both writing music, and lyrics.

I'd be up for a Vet Vs. New Blood comp. Sounds like fun.

Dämonschatten
05-04-2006, 11:31 PM
So uhm if i did another ten words comp would people sign up?

i would

pumpkins_rule
05-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Would anyone be interested in a Limerick competition?

falloutboy
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
newbs would be anyone in 05 or 06.
veterans would be 02-04.

that simpppple.

so like veterans we could try to get blake, mike, corey, keeno (do they still call you that idk), the hurt within, um. BJ(streetcarp I believe), and until it sleeps and me and blah we would think of more.
and newbies would be whoever they decide and we can just have a captain for the veterans and newbiessss.

Final
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
^Yessir, they still call me that.

The Hurt Within
05-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah even I'd break my comp celabacy for this one, although our circa attempts have sunk faster than the Titanic on FF. (its funny) so anyway yeah, im sure we could get enough vets, say a 6vs6?

kunvulshuns
05-09-2006, 07:46 PM
So I'm a Vet? I'd take a go.

!troy!

HendrixEdge
05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
In all honesty; the description of ?veteran? and ?greenhorn? currently being considered; does little justice to this forum?s disparate population.

The Hurt Within
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I think you're underestimating the intercourse that will be promoted in such a comp. In truth I believe the opposite effect will prove to be the outcome. haha.

Final
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
edit - Steve ruins my life.

Forget that.

One thing I just thought of..
how well will the voting work? I mean, this competition will be full of all the regulars, old and new, so are we supposed to do a trust thing and vote for the piece we really enjoyed more? Otherwise we'd end up with constant ties, since hardly anyone else votes in any of the competitions and teams will be biased and whatnot.

edit II - I love Steve more than anything.

End of post.

The Hurt Within
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
^^ Ahhh man I take that to heart, i'd never wish that upon you.

HendrixEdge
05-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I think you're underestimating the intercourse that will be promoted in such a comp. In truth I believe the opposite effect will prove to be the outcome. haha.
Do you want to be Michelangelo? Or shall I bear his name. ;)

Needless to say, we both know who the other will be.

The Hurt Within
05-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I wanna be shredder though :( ;)

Ummm well I guess if all competitors were required to submit new material, aswell perhaps if the composers remain anonymous then that could be avoided.

edit: Final is your sig true? I hope thats due to age and not the general concensus of the population.

furtherfan21
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
okay some of you older people on here, what was the Love comp and stuff. or the like... one with ht eweird title that starts with an E or something what were those comps and how were they run?

epistletary.. or something

HendrixEdge
05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I wanna be shredder though :( ;)

Well, in that case, I?m most definitely ?Splinter?. ;)

The Hurt Within
05-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Ahhh my epistolary comp, the letter writing comp...yeah that worked out very well. That was basically as I've said, the piece had to be written in the form of a letter. simple.

9 competitors, 3 rounds of 3 then the winners go into the final. for 1st/2nd/3rd.

HendrixEdge
05-10-2006, 11:27 AM
In regards to proposing a premise similar to the epistolary competition; we could combine the greatest aspects of both a duet, and or collaborative competition, with the aforementioned epistolary tournament.

In what I would describe as a ?correspondence comp?; whereby two members of our forum write letters to each other, with the pair whose arguments, characterisations, and propositions, prove to be the most interesting, walking home with the bacon.

Needless to say of course, the secondary partner would reply to the primary writer?s letter.

Possibly, too convoluted a suggestion, but I believe that the results could prove to be most enlightening.

#1 synth
05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, I do enjoy bacon. I'm in.

HendrixEdge
05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Well then, I?ll wait until that fleeting notion garners support, before I produce the requisite thread.

The Hurt Within
05-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Umm I feel even more concerned with the idea than first thought, however I don't eat bacon. Yeah its an excellent idea. Was it not our ricochet conversations that spawned this?

Anyway, gd luck - I shall enjoy the harvest and subsequent culling.

#1 synth
05-10-2006, 11:43 PM
hmmmm, culling. Anyway, brilliant idea, however i could see problems in the commitment of many of the users as of now. Maybe wait until the other duet competition is under wraps? Also, and if you do make the thread soon, make strict deadlines. Again, a brilliant idea.

furtherfan21
05-11-2006, 10:55 AM
you don't eat bacon? haha you are missing out my friend. I love bacon.... that comp sounds great will

HendrixEdge
05-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Well lads, I?ll wait until the current set of competitions are done and dusted, before proceeding with the bureaucracy.

Umm I feel even more concerned with the idea than first thought, however I don't eat bacon. Yeah its an excellent idea. Was it not our ricochet conversations that spawned this?

Anyway, gd luck - I shall enjoy the harvest and subsequent culling.

To be honest; it was a slight influence, rather than a fully fledged inspiration. ;)

Retribution
05-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I'd LOVE the letter comp.

And the n00b/Veteran comp I would only agree to the 05/06 standard for n00bs if the CAPTAIN got to choose who participated, and we make it someone who's respectable... There's certainly a lot who aren't...

Final
05-15-2006, 05:24 AM
edit: Final is your sig true? I hope thats due to age and not the general concensus of the population.

Totally not true. But it seems like it sometimes.

Anywho, I've been having to stay late for work every shift lately, so I haven't been around much.. and probably won't be around much in the future either, but anywho if you alls decide to do that vet/noob competition then I'm in no matter what. Just so you know.

/endmylifeupdate.

chloroformkisme
05-26-2006, 03:32 AM
are there that many S+L regulars that are 'old school' (from '02-'04)? If there are enough than thats great, i just used '06 as a cutoff because there didnt seem to be enough veterans

I am from the ass end of 04 but I didn't post hardly anything last year but i had other screen names from like 02-03 that I used. No one remembers me though...I remember Corey (SilenceEvolves) and Arcadia from when i first joined but i lost aol and all my accounts so yeah...well i would write for either the vets or newbs considering my current "just started writing again" situation. btw I was Tattooed_geek but i lost e-mails and passwords so it screwed me.

falloutboy
06-05-2006, 02:04 PM
i think im going to set up the noob/veteran comp tonight. since i pitched the idea that seems fair? right?

we can sort out how many competitors on each team and who's captain and ect once we see how many of each team sign up.

Dashboard89
06-05-2006, 04:12 PM
^ sweet...will everybody fall into a category though?

#1 synth
06-05-2006, 05:48 PM
whats the cutoff? anyone who joined before 05 is a vet?

falloutboy
06-05-2006, 08:43 PM
well. im going to say everyone from before 05 i guess is a vet. and 05 and later is a newbie.

and i think if we get a lot of signups. like more than 8 a team. we are going to have the captains pick who they want. and people will be alternates. some might be left out but oh well? sound good or have any other ideas?

otherwise it will just turn into a hugeee comp thatll flood the forum and get out of control and hard to manage. so i think 8 a team is sufficient.

#1 synth
06-05-2006, 08:56 PM
I think you might even wanna go lower than that, like six a team, i dont know if there are 8 truly dedicated noobies out there (but please prove me wrong). Anyway, how are you planning on scoring? like the captains vs. eachother and then one vs. one's for the rest?

falloutboy
06-05-2006, 09:42 PM
itll most likely be the captains vs each other.
then one vs ones yeah.

we could do a point system
where each 1st round match is one point. each 2nd round 2. each 3rd round win 3. and the final match 4
or however many rounds there are whatever, then add up the totals.
but if say veterans win 5 matches and newbies 3. then its going to be uneven. so any solution for that?
cause eventually there will end up being more veteran or newbie songs in the whole thingg cause the chances of it ending up even are very slim.
i forget how we did this last timeee. ill try to think of what we could do to fix that.

#1 synth
06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
What I would like to see (and this may be impossible) is this: An elimination system in which each team has teamates ranked 1-6 (the captains only real job would be to to choose the ranking and the 5 other teamates) than those rankings would go against each other and the loser of each round would be out. after the first round and half the competition is gone (unless one team loses all their players, in which case the game is over) the second round would start and the remaining 6 people would go into either a second set of 1vs.1's (if one team only has two players left and the other has four, there will only be two one vs. one's that round). I would continue this style until one team loses all players, in which case that team loses. O, and people would write and submit a new piece each round. whaddya think?

pooch0072
06-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't fit in; I joined in 03 but I just started in S&L this spring

#1 synth
06-05-2006, 10:10 PM
you=vet as Pooch>Synth

its simple substitution of equality my dear Poochy

falloutboy
06-05-2006, 10:37 PM
i think that is a good idea. unless someone comes up with something better that is what we will do. sound good?
ill put the thread up with details tomorrow then.

#1 synth
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
alright cool, but did we really have to start this right when ScouserTommy and Matt (Something_Vague) returned, it makes it really unfair for the n00bs :sad: :p:

falloutboy
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
okay im also adding.
the vet captain and newbie captain each get to personally select three people they want on their team.
then there are two open slots left. or 4 depending on if we do 8 or 6. those two slots will be open for whoever else is left that signs up. once we get all the sign ups who were not initially chosen, its up to the 3 people on your team that the captain chose to come to an agreeance on the 5th and 6th member.
i know this might sound unfair, but this way the competition will involve most likely the best newbie writers and best veteran writers. this will definitely even it out and hopefully prevent a blowout.
anyone oppose this?

falloutboy
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
one more idea.
insstead of just having a random comp like with whatever subject songs. we had a team comp once liek this where each writer had to write songs for a certain subject.
like we would have like.
a celebrity comp. where one person from each team would write about a celebrity
maybe an abstract comp. where a person from a team would write an abstract piece.

this would go by apoint system. and we would most likely have three different comps go at a time. then the next week we would do 3 more different comps with the other three writers.
just another thing we could try for this.

Jammydude44
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Just a little comment- I think making it a subject would be better, giving some boundaries would help, as the vets could well have much more and better quality ideas than us newbies, so if there are boundaries made on subject etc. then everyone will know how they need to write for this.

I'm not sure about the second point in your previous post. But, hey, whatever. Not my place, really.

#1 synth
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
the points thing you suggested would probably work better and cause it to be more interesting than just an elimination style... but w/e, just choose and make the thread and lets get this started :D

furtherfan21
06-07-2006, 12:59 AM
and all i hear is that awful black eyed peas song...

rabidguitarist
06-11-2006, 04:26 AM
hey, ive had a great idea, why not use ACTUAL newbies, instead of people that have been here for ages and everyone knows? y'know, newbie means a new person, not a crap person, thats noob.

I reckon, you like, keep a thread open for a couple o days or summat, everyone posts lyrics, and everyone with a registration date before a certain time has their stuff removed. Then, like, lock the thread or something and have a vote.

Im saying this cos, on the S&L forum, ive had only good crit, so i assume my stuff is good, yet i get shunted cos noone knows me.

Green_Fox
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
how about a world comp. or a country comp? i dont know if that's been done already but it sounds like an interesting idea, i least i think so. contestants will be allowed to pick a country and write anything about it, anything from the lifestyle, culture, buildings, people, language, ect. poem/prose/song

and to make it more interesting:
the contestants must use words that originated from that country or region. one for each line or two. for example, if they choose france, then they must include words of french origin. (accept "accepter", spirit "esprit", vigour....they can even use words like déjà vu, rendez-vous, soiree, etc.

and if they don't know if a word is this or that, then they can look it up in a dictionary or use some website i found.
thoughts?

frd_marshll
06-12-2006, 03:56 PM
how about a summer league 6 teams or so 3 or 4 people per team

or a international comp teams from each country

rabidguitarist
06-19-2006, 05:59 AM
international comp teams would be really cool :headbang: go england!

#1 synth
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
international comp is a cool idea, I say you do it.

xArCaDiAx
06-29-2006, 08:22 PM
When comps die down:

How about a lengthy prose/lyrics/story/series comp?

We had one a while back. I think Matt won it with his "Blah blah blah Ohio" story.

#1 synth
06-29-2006, 08:53 PM
short stories are teh sexxorz (and by sexxorz I really mean sexx0rz) just wait a month before you start k?