The Clash

PDA

View Full Version : The Clash

ledmik
04-25-2006, 01:34 AM
The clash are a really good band. what are your favourite songs by them?

High_o
04-25-2006, 02:00 AM
remote control is pretty good, along with basically anything off thier first album

Cal UK
04-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Londons Calling only song ive heard by em but I loved it

Cub
04-25-2006, 05:56 AM
the clash have a lot of cool songs. their first albums pretty solid, the only song i don't like is protex blue, give em enough rope is pretty kick arse too.

ClashCR46
04-25-2006, 12:52 PM
White Riot would be a solid choice, but then so would everything else they did - excluding Cut The Crap which was awful and cant be put down to the clash cos two of the funding members had been sacked (not including the first drumer)!

johnnynemo
04-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Fave songs:

Capitol Radio
Deny
48 Hours

indestructible8
04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
straight to hell is pretty good to me. give em enough rope is pretty much all good.

GreenDayChris
04-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Owt off their first album is bloody good. Actually most their stuff is bloody good.
My faves: Janie Jones, Safe European Home and Magnificent Seven off the top of me head.

chow7
04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
i'd say Complete Control, Safe European Home, pretty much any song except for from Cut the Crap and some songs on Sandista

rockeroller
04-25-2006, 05:12 PM
my favorites are lover's rock and almost every song on their debut.

also i think that the clampdown is one of the greatest songs, not because of amazing skill, but it sounds amazing. wow im tired and not good at 'splainin. sorry.

johnnynemo
04-25-2006, 06:15 PM
One thing I that's really cool about early Clash lyrics, is that they hid words in some of the songs that were references to other things.

At the end of the song "Jail Guitar Doors", you can hear Strummer singing "54/46 was my number/Right now someone else has that number", which are the lyrics to the Toots and The Maytals song "54/46".

In the song"Remote Control" the last verse includes the lines, "Repression ? gonna be a Dalek / Repression ? I am a robot / Repression ? I obey.", which was a reference to the Daleks, a race of killer robots from the TV show Doctor Who (and whose only lines in the early shows were "I am a robot. I obey" and "EX-TER-MIN-ATE", before they killed humans.

If you watch the movie Sid and Nancy, the characters imitating Rotten and Vicious also imitate the Daleks cry of "EX- TER- MIN- ATE!, and since that dialogue was based on actual occurences, many punks were either very into, or very aware of, Doctor Who.

For those unaware, this is what a Dalek looks like.
You can see how George Lucas ripped off Doctor Who for R2D2 (especially if you recall that R2D2 has a retractable "arm" that looks like the Dalek's always protruding arm.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e7/Dalek_from_BBC.jpg/200px-Dalek_from_BBC.jpghttp://www.wtv-zone.com/jerrh2/3/r2d2.gif

He also ripped off C3P0 from the Cybermen on Doctor Who.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1985/gallery/340/cybermen.jpghttp://starwars.planeta-digital.com/images/thumb/1/12/180px-C3po.jpg

opivy21
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
You sure know your robots Nemo.

I don't listen to the Clash, but I have nothing against them. They're not bad.

RHCPhysco8
04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Train in Vain is one of my favorite songs of all time.

KingBrendan5149
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Wrong Em Boyo
Clampdown
Hateful
London's Burning
I Fought The Law

The Clash pwn.

DeSean
04-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Brand New Cadylliac
Jimmy Jazz
Come On Eileen

wellthen
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
clash city rockers and clampdown are pretty rad

R0CKER1220
04-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Calmpdown, Jimmy Jazz, London calling, Brand new cadilac, tommy gun, Wrong 'em boyo and many others

Spaceman_Spiff
04-25-2006, 07:59 PM
You know its a good band when this many people come in and each have different favorite songs

misfitsdisciple
04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
too many "THIS BAND ROCKS" threads.

Stevethegreat
04-25-2006, 10:45 PM
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais

and for some reason I always liked the xylophone on 'Hitsville U.K.'

Rock1986
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Police and Thieves
Clampdown
Guns of Brixton
Rock the Casbah
Spanish bombs
Gates of the West
Death or Glory

capsfan17
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Revolution Rock, Wrong Em Boyo, Death or Glory, Clampdown...

ledmik
04-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Clash City Rockers, London Calling, Atom Tan, I'm so Bored with the USA

NOFX_JustinSane
04-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Safe European Home (Give 'em Enough Rope)
Rudie Cant Fail (London Calling)
Whats My Name (The Clash)
Koka Kola (London Calling)

They are my personal faves, but i cant think of many Clash songs i dont love (excluding Cut The Crap)

Cub
04-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Brand New Cadylliac
Jimmy Jazz
Come On Eileen

come on eileen?

waterproofpie
04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
:haha

Wookiedude
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais, Listen, Capital Radio Two, Police on My Back, One More Time, Guns of Brixton, and Rudie Can't Fail. Also, I like all the dub mixes on Super Black Market Clash and Sandinista!. Oh yeah, Complete Control has one of the greatest opening riffs of all time.

sassamafras
04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
should i stay or should i go and i fought the law

hardrock1315
04-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Safe European Home. I think it includes all the best parts of the Clash. There's the verse, which is like the punkier stuff, like the first album. Then there's the chorus that's a little like London Calling, a little more somber. Also, there's that long bridge part that shows that cool reggae part of them.

BrianApocalypse
04-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Death or Glory.

As for the daleks, they suck a$$ after their debut.

Pardon me Mr Nemo, but being a Hartnell nerd, I have no choice but to intervene here?

The Daleks had more lines than those single two, although ?Exterminate!? was obviously their bread and butter. Other early Dalek lines include:

(I?ll edit some in tomorrow once I have recapped my memory, but until then ?Silence earthling? and ?you will obey?)

And they didn?t kill any humans in the early shows. They killed a few Thals (the other inhabitants of their home planet Skaro) mind.

I much prefer the first Doctor Who story though, spookily titled ?An unearthly child?. It?s got cavemen in.

MAXWELLMURDER
04-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Spanish Bombs

Rock1986
04-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Spanish Bombs

Oh yeah, great song, I'm listening to it right now

whiteriot69
04-28-2006, 09:54 AM
police and thieves, londons burning, whiteriot, all the young punks and cheat

johnnynemo
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Death or Glory.

As for the daleks, they suck a$$ after their debut.

Pardon me Mr Nemo, but being a Hartnell nerd, I have no choice but to intervene here?

The Daleks had more lines than those single two, although ?Exterminate!? was obviously their bread and butter. Other early Dalek lines include:

(I?ll edit some in tomorrow once I have recapped my memory, but until then ?Silence earthling? and ?you will obey?)

And they didn?t kill any humans in the early shows. They killed a few Thals (the other inhabitants of their home planet Skaro) mind.

I much prefer the first Doctor Who story though, spookily titled ?An unearthly child?. It?s got cavemen in.

I'm glad that someone here watches Doctor Who, no matter how wrong they are about the facts

The Daleks killed lots of people in every episode that they were in, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they didn't.
They were one of the most feared races of killers in the Doctor Who universe, as they saw any "inferior races" as needing to be exterminated.

For the record, in "Genesis of the Daleks", they kill many Thals, Kaleds and Mutos, as they roved through the Thal city killing everything that moved.

In one of the earliest series of episodes, from 1964, namely the Dalek Invasion Of Earth , two of the characters hide from Dalek patrols and overhear many humans being exterminated by Daleks and are later told that many humans were exterminated in the initial invasion.

If you watched the new Doctor Who episode "Dalek", you'll see that they were/are still scary, especially when the solitary Dalek kills over 200 people.

Obviously, the Daleks definitely have more lines than the ones that I mentioned, as you can see in the episode "Genesis of The Daleks", where the Daleks turn on their creator Davros, who, begging for pity, is told that "pity is not in their vocabulary".
I was merely pointing out the ones used in the aforementioned Clash song ( the oft used "I obey")and the "EXT-TER-MIN-ATE !" quoted by Sid and Johnny in the movie "Sid and Nancy".

Perhaps if you put down the bongos and re-watch the episodes, you'll see what I mean.

Joe Publicity
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
'Know your rights' is a cool song infact one of the few good songs on 'Combat rock'. 'Safe European Home','English civil war', 'Guns of Brixton','last Gang in town' are Great. However my ultimate Clash song is 'Complete control'.

Joe/synergy
04-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Several songs jumped straight to my head initially, but reading through the thread i just get reminded of more!

My faves: Capital Radio, White Man In Hammersmith Palais, Bankrobber, Straight To Hell, Ghetto Defendant, This Is England, Death Or Glory, Clampdown, Remote Control, Complete Control, The Prisoner, Gates Of The West, Safe Eurpean Home..........etc etc etc

lavazza
04-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Carrier opportunities on SANDINISTA! is funny...
but all in all they are the best band of the world so everything sounds great

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 10:54 AM
The Clash are one of the few, if not, only, Punk Bands I can really listen to.

I honestly don't have a favorite song by them, but Rock the Casbah, Train In Vain, Jimmy Jazz, Guns of Brixton, and London Calling are some of the songs are enjoy by them.

Great band.

misfitsdisciple
04-30-2006, 12:09 PM
haha im so lucky, i went to the only used record store in my town and found two clash albums, Combat Rock, and Black Market Clash. both good albums love em.

ss311
04-30-2006, 03:11 PM
I like the Clash but Rock the Casbah was a steaming pile of crap...

BrianApocalypse
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm glad that someone here watches Doctor Who, no matter how wrong they are about the facts

Ah, excellent, a Trekkie Debate :)

The Daleks killed lots of people in every episode that they were in, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they didn't.

So, essentially, what you are saying, is that the Daleks killed in every episode, and furthermore, killed people, or as you referred to them initially, humans, in every one.

This is simply not true. Not only were no humans at all killed in the first Dalek series, but there were no fatalities in the 1st episode.

They were one of the most feared races of killers in the Doctor Who universe, as they saw any "inferior races" as needing to be exterminated.

True, but they didn?t kill people in every episode, which is what you said.

For the record, in "Genesis of the Daleks", they kill many Thals, Kaleds and Mutos, as they roved through the Thal city killing everything that moved.

True, but none of those races are human

In one of the earliest series of episodes, from 1964, namely the Dalek Invasion Of Earth , two of the characters hide from Dalek patrols and overhear many humans being exterminated by Daleks and are later told that many humans were exterminated in the initial invasion.

If you watched the new Doctor Who episode "Dalek", you'll see that they were/are still scary, especially when the solitary Dalek kills over 200 people.

Plus, not only was it a solitary dalek, but it was a solitary souped up Dalek, who absorbed the internet in 30 seconds.

Obviously, the Daleks definitely have more lines than the ones that I mentioned

True, which was my point.

?As you can see in the episode "Genesis of The Daleks", where the Daleks turn on their creator Davros, who, begging for pity, is told that "pity is not in their vocabulary".

A contradiction: as the Daleks have use of the word pity, plus a concise meaning of the word, pity is therefore in their vocabulary. The Daleks literally understand the word, but they would never be piteous to others.

I was merely pointing out the ones used in the aforementioned Clash song ( the oft used "I obey")and the "EXT-TER-MIN-ATE !" quoted by Sid and Johnny in the movie "Sid and Nancy".

You pointed those out, but you also presented false information, perhaps not meant to be taken literally, in which case use of the sarcastic rolleyes smilie is recommended :), and I am a William Hartnell (who was the best doctor, bar none) fan, therefore I felt obliged to correct it.

Perhaps if you put down the bongos and re-watch the episodes, you'll see what I mean.

I see what you mean, but you went over the top by exxagerrating, and turned your post into false information.

Therefore, at the time of writing, I fucking win.

PS.)

?no matter how wrong they are about the facts

I beg to differ mi?lud :D

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
^ OMG.
You are so f*cking adolpated.
You're playing a stupid game of semantics and being deliberately obtuse.
Plus, you don't even have your facts straight, ya pillock.

First of all, the Daleks DO kill Thals in that first episode from 1963, so shut it.
They kill Temmosus and many Thals, so you're wrong again, ya sod.

Furthermore, the Daleks kill people in almost every episode.
The only one that I can think of where they do not is The Chase where they travel through time to kill the Doctor, but are unable to do so.

So that's one episode out of dozens where the Daleks kill people.
And I refuse to concede the point, because they were attempting to kill, but were unable to, which proves my point, that they were a race of killers.

Secondly, Hartnell blows.
Tom Baker breathed new life into that role and is the quintessential Doctor.

And finally, the exact line from the episode Genesis of the Daleks concerning pity is " Pity? I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary banks."
So, again, you are wrong.

I win.
You lose.
Now get a life.

havanna
05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
My favorite songs are probably Janie Jones, Remote Control, Complete Control, White Riot, Police & Thieves, 48 Hours, Guns Of Brixton, Jail Guitar Doors, Rebel Waltz, Spanish Bombs, Hateful, Koka Kola, Rudy Can't Fail, Straight To Hell, Rock The Casbah, Magnifient 7... God I could go on and on and on and on...

Hey, I've got a question about The Clash... Does Paul Simonon sing Guns Of Brixton? I read from somewhere that he does, but I'm not sure... I know he wrote it though. Does Mick Jones sing some of the songs? 'Cos sometimes it sounds more like him than Joe, but again I have no idea. I apologise for my stupidity.

lavazza
05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Does Paul Simonon sing Guns Of Brixton?

No a cild does at the end of Broadway^^

ScummerVacation
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
You lose.
Now get a life.

ss311
05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Nemo has cracked...

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Nah, son.
I just get tired of debating points with people every f*cking time I write something.

Before I write a post, I do research.
Then some pissant comes along and tells me I'm wrong.
Then I show them the research.
Then they try to play games of semantics.
It's really annoying.

EDIT: The people who are new to this forum haven't had the misfortune to read the demented babble that Brian has written.
He's said some bizarre things, like how great Fleetwood Mac are and how good bongos sound in punk bands.
Complete nutter.

JohnnyNapalm
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

:p:

Guitarist132
05-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Clash are one of the first punk bands i listened to.

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 04:32 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

:p:

I bet you think "..." all the time, Napalm, hijo de puta.

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey, I've got a question about The Clash... Does Paul Simonon sing Guns Of Brixton? I read from somewhere that he does, but I'm not sure... I know he wrote it though.

He wrote it, but doesn't sing on it.
He does sing the intro to "Janie Jones" in the movie 'Rude Boy', although I don't think he did that on the album.

Does Mick Jones sing some of the songs? 'Cos sometimes it sounds more like him than Joe, but again I have no idea. I apologise for my stupidity.

Mick sings on "Stay Free" and does the backing vocals (the OOOOHS) in many songs.

BrianApocalypse
05-01-2006, 04:38 PM
^ OMG.
You are so f*cking adolpated.
You're playing a stupid game of semantics and being deliberately obtuse.
Plus, you don't even have your facts straight, ya pillock.

Hm. Food for thought, but let?s just carry on for now. The last line is particularly food for thought because it?s pretty much wrong. Btw, I don?t much care for the Hitler joke. I hope you?re not implying what I think you are. Also, I?m not a pillock cause I got GCSEs not a BTEC.

First of all, the Daleks DO kill Thals in that first episode from 1963, so shut it.
They kill Temmosus and many Thals, so you're wrong again, ya sod.

They don?t. The episode ends when Barbara screams, and the camera is from the few of the dalek, so we see the arms.

The next episode (whose story carries on straight after) begins with ?run!? from a thal, who promptly gets negated (you know, that thing where you go black and white and die. I dunno the proper term)

I have it on vhs, I?ll go watch it right now.

Furthermore, the Daleks kill people in almost every episode.
The only one that I can think of where they do not is The Chase where they travel through time to kill the Doctor, but are unable to do so. So that's one episode out of dozens where the Daleks kill people. And I refuse to concede the point, because they were attempting to kill, but were unable to, which proves my point, that they were a race of killers.

Well, in that case the original point sure must have been confusing :) In the original post with the r2d2 pictures you did not say what you meant.

Secondly, Hartnell blows.
Tom Baker breathed new life into that role and is the quintessential Doctor.

Fuck off. Tom Baker. An idiot. Under him, shows were full of jokes. Very amusing.

?Would you like a jelly baby??

?They say the evil one (or equivalent) eats babies?

That?s why that guy whose name I can?t remember who did the 2005 sucked. Because he had to throw in one liners all over the place. (Oh yeah, it was Christopher Ecclestone)

Compare this to Hartnell, who has a predatory side. In ?An unearthly child?, when the chief (the son of the firemaker) is seriously injured, the doctor tries to do him in with a rock. This doctor is three dimensional.

Also the Hartnell years were better because of the limitations in technology. Being in b&w made it scarier. Later on, when things were more brightly coloured and stuff, it just wasn?t the same.

To be fair, Tom Baker was one of the better ones though. Anyone but that Sylvester McCoy. Or that imbecile in the cricket sweater. Or the one who fell off a building site and died.

finally, the exact line from the episode Genesis of the Daleks concerning pity is " Pity? I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary banks."

So, again, you are wrong.

Ok, I?ll concede defeat there (on a minor (emphasis on minor) point of a subargument), but naught else. Especially in Baker vs Hartnell and Episode One.

He's said some bizarre things, like how great Fleetwood Mac are and how good bongos sound in punk bands.
Complete nutter.

I understand your apprehension on those subjects, and I understand your claim about me being a complete nutter. But, the important, thing, to remember, is, that they called Chuck Berry crazy, but he just wanted to rock and roll.

I win.
You lose.
Now get a life.

I win on like 4/5 at this point in time and space.
you lose on like 4/5 at this point in time and space.
Now you get a life, research boy :D

JohnnyNapalm
05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I bet you think "..." all the time, Napalm, hijo de puta.
:(

Why ya gotta be so hostle Nemo?

It's all in good fun.

BrianApocalypse
05-01-2006, 04:47 PM
He does sing the intro to "Janie Jones" in the movie 'Rude Boy', although I don't think he did that on the album.

Yes he does. He fucking does!

I quote from The Clash on Broadway accompanying booklet:

Paul Simmonon on ?The Guns of Brixton?:

?I don?t consider myself a singer. The vocal mike was right up against this glass panel of the control room and sitting right in front of me, two feet behind the glass, was some sort of American CBS bloke and it really annoyed me. So that?s probably why the vocals came out the way they did?
- Paul Simmonon.

Also, if you watch ?Westway to the World?, Paul sings it live too. And it sounds the same.

Or am I being semantic?

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
The next episode (whose story carries on straight after) begins with ?run!? from a thal, who promptly gets negated (you know, that thing where you go black and white and die. I dunno the proper term)

I have it on vhs, I?ll go watch it right now.

Brian.
All antagonism aside......that is what it looks like when you get killed by a Dalek gun on Doctor Who.
The special effects weren't that great, so they would show the blue laser, and then anyone who got killed was shown in negative, to indicate that they were EX TER MIN ATE (d).

And, as you well know, the episodes came in weekly parts.
The first one had, I believe 7 parts to it, which when viewed together, are a FULL EPISODE.

There's no need to be so deliberately pedantic.
If you'll recall, you started this.

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Why ya gotta be so hostile Nemo?

It's all in good fun.

Why do you involve yourself in matters that don't really concern you?
What was the exact point you felt it necessary to post?

Brian and I were debating a TV show that we like, or more correctly, I pointed out that some of the Clash's lyrics allude to Doctor Who and Brian decided to jump in start spouting incorrect facts.

In the middle of that, you and Scummer Vacation decided to take a lil potshot at me.
It didn't really p*ss me off, but I find it annoying that everytime I post, I have to deal with someone deciding to step up and talk some sh*t.
It's really annoying.

If you had said something like "You're calling someone else a loser, while your having the geekiest debate about sci-fi that this forum has seen", I would have laughed and agreed.

johnnynemo
05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Yes he does. He fucking does!

I quote from The Clash on Broadway accompanying booklet:

Paul Simmonon on ?The Guns of Brixton?:

?I don?t consider myself a singer. The vocal mike was right up against this glass panel of the control room and sitting right in front of me, two feet behind the glass, was some sort of American CBS bloke and it really annoyed me. So that?s probably why the vocals came out the way they did?
- Paul Simmonon.

Also, if you watch ?Westway to the World?, Paul sings it live too. And it sounds the same.

Or am I being semantic?

You're right.
I remembered it right after I posted.

Honestly, I really hate London Calling and always thought that song was especially dumb and skipped it on the album.
Paul sounds horrible as a singer, BTW.

To be perfectly honest, I always considered that the Clash sell-out album, or the beginning of Big Awful Disappointment.

JohnnyNapalm
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
If you had said something like "You're calling someone else a loser, while your having the geekiest debate about sci-fi that this forum has seen", I would have laughed and agreed.
Thats kinda what I meant, but I'm not calling you a loser or anything, just kinda funny that you are calling someone else a loser while talking about like a Sci-fi show or whatnot.

misfitsdisciple
05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
haha yeah, internet if a fickle friend. well we are all losers in the end!

BrianApocalypse
05-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Brian.
All antagonism aside......that is what it looks like when you get killed by a Dalek gun on Doctor Who.
The special effects weren\'t that great, so they would show the blue laser, and then anyone who got killed was shown in negative, to indicate that they were EX-TER-MIN-ATE (d).

And, as you well know, the episodes came in weekly parts.
The first one had, I believe 7 parts to it, which when viewed together, are a FULL EPISODE.

There\'s no need to be so deliberately pedantic.
If you\'ll recall, you started this.

Negative. That was the word I was looking for. That was a brilliant effective. Way scarier than blood, and more realistic than when in sci fi when people get shot by laser weapons

In the minds of the makers, each part to the serial certainly was an episode. A lot of people refer to the \"full episodes\" as stories

At the start of each of these weekly parts, it said \"Episode 2:
(and then the title)

Although the integrity of wikipedia is questionable, I found this:

\"Episode\"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TV Show Reference
Episode is the word usually used to refer to a part of a serial television or radio program. An episode is a part of a sequence of a body of work, akin to a chapter of a book. The term sometimes applies to works based on other forms of mass media as well, as in Star Wars. Episodes of news programs are also known as editions.

Episodes which end in the middle of a climatic moment are often called cliffhangers, after the name used for early movie serials. Such episodes can be nearly daily occurrences in soap operas and are frequently used in season finales of many prime time shows.

Episodes can be part of a larger story arc stretched out over a time period covering one or more seasons, or even an entire series run. This is true for some science fiction series such as Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1 and Star Trek.

Shows usually have numbers or codes for each episode. The X-Files, for example, assigned a code in the format \"sXnn\", with \'s\' identifying the season number and \'nn\' being a two-digit number for each show, starting with \'01\'. Some programs, such as The Simpsons, use numbering systems that are hard for anyone outside the production company to understand. Some series often give episodes their own titles which usually refer to the content of the episode, giving both producers and fans a simple identification.\"

from www.dictionary.com:
\"A portion of a narrative that relates an event or a series of connected events and forms a coherent story in itself; an incident: an episode in a picaresque novel.\"

As for the internet, I love the internet.

johnnynemo
05-02-2006, 09:55 AM
According to the mighty wikipedia, each Dr. Who episode was broken into weekly parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daleks

The Daleks (also known as The Mutants, among other titles, see below) is a serial in the British science fiction television series Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in 7 weekly parts from December 21, 1963 to February 1, 1964.

A storyline on the Simpsons starts and finishes within a half hour and the one shown the next week is of a different adventure.

The logic behind this is simple.
Would the weekly Dr. Who part that you mentioned (where Barbara screams and Thals are exterminated) make sense, and be a complete story, if run without the previous part?
Of course not.

Therefore, it is a part of the episode The Daleks.

BrianApocalypse
05-02-2006, 01:43 PM
This is pretty, ridiculous, and thouroughly enjoyable.

From the more weighted Doctor Who:

This is a quote of the subtitle, at the end credits of the first, of the ?weekly parts?

NEXT EPISODE: THE SURVIVORS

Therefore it?s episode. What better evidence is there than that?

BrianApocalypse
05-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Also, there is a big difference between a serial and an episode. A serial is a series of parts. As for an episode, check the above definition.

You?re bending sources.

Presenting false information is, or if not, should be, illegal

ss311
05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Nah, son.
I just get tired of debating points with people every f*cking time I write something.

Then some pissant comes along and tells me I'm wrong.
Then I show them the research.
Then they try to play games of semantics.
It's really annoying.

EDIT: The people who are new to this forum haven't had the misfortune to read the demented babble that Brian has written.
Complete nutter.

Bongos? Fleetwood Mac?

Okay...

johnnynemo
05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
This is pretty, ridiculous, and thouroughly enjoyable.

From the more weighted Doctor Who:

This is a quote of the subtitle, at the end credits of the first, of the ?weekly parts?

NEXT EPISODE: THE SURVIVORS

Therefore it?s episode. What better evidence is there than that?

Also, there is a big difference between a serial and an episode. A serial is a series of parts. As for an episode, check the above definition.

You?re bending sources.

Presenting false information is, or if not, should be, illegal

If being deliberately obtuse, for the sake of one's own ego gratification, were illegal, you'd be in Broadmoor (although I believe that Royal Earlswood would be a better choice).

Doctor Who episodes, unlike other shows, were serials.
Stories were broken into several parts.

According to wikipedia...

Each serial up to 1989's Survival was a multi-episode story; the characters in brackets after the serial titles indicates the code used by the production team to designate the serial (where applicable) and are followed by the number of episodes in the serial. Unless otherwise noted, episodes were 25 minutes long.

The entire point that I have made, despite your maddening obstreperousness, was that in every complete story about the Daleks on Doctor Who, they killed people.
A fact which you can not dispute, but have attempted to through your use of semantics and diversion.

I merely used the term episode, because Americans are used to the idea of an episode being a complete story.
That is what I mean by an episode, i.e. a complete story, such as my favorite one The Doctor Bludgeons Johnny Skullf*ck to Death For Being A Plonker

Rock1986
05-02-2006, 11:05 PM

Mick sings on "Stay Free" and does the backing vocals (the OOOOHS) in many songs.

I've heard that Mick sings Train in Vain too

BrianApocalypse
05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
If being deliberately obtuse, for the sake of one's own ego gratification, were illegal, you'd be in Broadmoor (although I believe that Royal Earlswood would be a better choice).

The entire point that I have made, despite your maddening obstreperousness, was that in every complete story about the Daleks on Doctor Who, they killed people.
A fact which you can not dispute, but have attempted to through your use of semantics and diversion.

I merely used the term episode, because Americans are used to the idea of an episode being a complete story.
That is what I mean by an episode, i.e. a complete story, such as my favorite one The Doctor Bludgeons Johnny Skullf*ck to Death For Being A Plonker

Okay, but you didn't make it at all clear, and what you said was wrongly phrased, making it incorrect.

However, yes the Daleks do kill in every story.

And if the Doctor paid a visit to Johnny Skullfuck I'd shove his sonic screwdriver where the sun don't shine. :)

johnnynemo
05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Hahaha.
I'd just beg the Doctor to take me back to London circa 1972 and leave me there.
Then, I'd get to see all the glam bands and, soon thereafter, all the punk bands.

clash1057
05-03-2006, 05:28 PM
as albums, London Calling and Give em Enough Rope are excellent. I like close to every song on both of them.

Red.Washburn77
05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Best Clash songs, in my opinion, are

White Riot
Red Angel Dragnet
Know Your Rights
London Calling, and
Clash City Rockers

--Red:zzz:

sothisisfreedom
05-04-2006, 06:36 PM
the s/t is great, london calling is not so great. some songs on there are really good, but some are REALLY bad.

diesil
05-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Hell yeah the crash are just ****IN marvellous

Prince
05-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Death or Glory
White Riot
Janie Jones
Cheat
Julies Been Working for the Drug Squad
Stay Free
Complete Control

wingedgopher
05-14-2006, 07:04 PM
death or glory is my favorite. and mick jones DOES sing, on a lot of songs actually (theyre my favorite band) and paul simonon DOES sing the guns of brixton in addition to playing guitar on it live while joe strummer played bass.

ChrisPetrie
05-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Tthe Clash is boreing. How can someone who listens to fast punk and ska listen to something like the Clash?

no.1relientkfan
05-17-2006, 09:44 PM
i love the whole london calling album the clash friggin rox

ledmik
05-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Clash rock
Without a doubt
Go to hell you freaks who hate them
You will burn

pinheadslts75
05-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm So Bored With The USA, Complete Control, London's Burning and White Riot.

RadioHead22
05-28-2006, 04:02 PM
tommy gun, guns of brixton, death or glory would have to be my FAVS, and london calling of course