Recording

PDA

View Full Version : Recording

iceberg_ssj
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM
My band has a couple of songs written, but it is all very hard to decide if the stuff we are writting sucks or whether is really something. We have been using cake walk project 5 and the line in on my computer. When i play through my guitar amp it sounds pretty okay, but too much reverb or volume totally fries the hardware. The same with everyone else. I was thinking about getting a line 6 tone port. But how are you guys demoing your music? Also I have been using a mic from radio shack ($20) and my vocals don't sound too great, but i guess it could be my singing but i get a lot of air bursts when i sing hard syllables. Should I get another mic? cause its making it very hard to tell if I sing good now, but my bandmates have yet to complain.

psychodelia
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I use computer recording to get my ideas down, and see how parts fit together.

I am not good enough with it to use it for recording CD's. I don't know enough to get a sound I'm satisfied with, and I know guys who spend wayy too much time trying to get a "perfect" sound on their computer.

About your mic, I've heard putting gauze or something over the mic can help reduce that noise. If you really want to find out the best way, try the Only Vocals thread in Musician Talk, or maybe the recording forum (I never go to the recording forum so I dunno).

BrianApocalypse
04-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I don?t tend to have a problem with guitar volume (unless I play it really really loud, which I don?t generally do) For me, reverb problem is amp based rather than recording based, But, I tend to do effects other than delay in post-production because I find it easier to control.

As for the problem with plosives, you need to get a pop filter. You can either buy a commercial one (overpriced), or get a coat hanger, bend it into a metal hoop and stretch a pair of tights over it ? et voila!

All I use to home record is my computer, a Marshall MG15CDR and audacity.

As for using a cheap mic, you?d get better results with something upmarket, but quality and price don?t increase proportionally ? i.e. a $100 microphone isn?t 5 times as good as a $20 one.

Freunleven
04-27-2006, 09:55 AM
If you're using Windows, try this: Go into the Volume Control (located in the system tray next to your clock). Click on Options > Advanced Controls. Now, under the Microphone volume slider, there's an "advanced" button. Click on it. A li'l window will pop up. Under where it says "Other Controls," click the +20db Gain to OFF. Then, use your Mic input, instead of the line in input.

Also, I've had better success recording with smaller amps at moderate volumes. I use a Crate XT15R (15w); and Zoom Fire 30 (36w) digital modelling amp with the level damper on, effectively making it an 18w amp. For bass, we use the bass plugged into his distortion pedal (set to clean, just as a preamp for volume boost) and turn up the volume in the computer.

Haven't messed with vocals too much yet, but we're still audtioning singers.

Peace out, bro.

:satan:

Salefajter
04-28-2006, 06:52 AM
For my recording, i used Cool edit pro 2.0 in this way:
-3 mics in a small 4 channel mixer (30$ on ebay) in the mic port on my laptop
- direct connection from "output" of my multieffect (korg AX30G) to line in of laptop
- shure PG58 (60$) for vocals
- bass connected directly into line in

Make sure you adjust the volume of the ports: on the volume icon on the bottom right of the screen - options- proprieties- recording- ok and then adjust the level, usually i use it on 1.5 or 2 of 10

Check the results:
http://salefajter.dmusic.com

Salefajter
04-28-2006, 06:53 AM
forgot to write this : 3 mics were for drums recording