i'm having trouble with all things singing

PDA

View Full Version : i'm having trouble with all things singing

Shadowz_at_Dawn
04-26-2006, 08:16 PM
so when me and my band (when we were still only two members) had a session i sang. my friend thinks i have awesome songs and he thinks i'm really good at guitar. but he says i need work on my singing. i didnt acctually sing but i kinda yelled. but i 'm also afraid to sing infront of others. so is there any suggested vocal exercised that can improve my singing or should i go with the old practice thing. and the reason why i dont wanna get another person to sing for the band (now 4 members) is that it would bother me too much to have someone else sing my songs. and i think it'd be harder for 5 people to get around if we tour. feel free to help me out. :(

EDIT: can you also help me with singing while playing guitar...anyone...

Yakult
04-26-2006, 08:38 PM
To be honest, if you're not a good singer then just bite the bullet and get someone else to sing. If a band has a poor singer, regardless of the musical talent, they're an instant turn off. Alternatively, just keep practicing and you'll get better, but it depends on how soon you want to start gigging and be well receieved.

WrathofKahn
04-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone can sing well, it's just a matter of finding your natural range and taking the best of it. The best (and most cliched) way to do this is to practice scales. Find how high you can hold a not, and how low you can... then find a middle ground that you're comfortable in.

Shadowz_at_Dawn
04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Anyone can sing well, it's just a matter of finding your natural range and taking the best of it. The best (and most cliched) way to do this is to practice scales. Find how high you can hold a not, and how low you can... then find a middle ground that you're comfortable in.

thanks man...love the avatar... :p:

psychodelia
04-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Lack of a beautiful voice has not stopped guys like Hendrix, Neil Young, or Bob Dylan, to name a few. That doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into improving your voice: it is an instrument like a guitar, but yours has unique limitations and possibilities.

My first piece of advice is to try to get into a group where you can concentrate solely on singing. Choir would work, or lessons if you possibly could. This is just so you can get your singing technique down, so you don't waste unnecessary energy or hurt yourself.

After that, when you've got notes down, try to find a vocal style that reflects you. This is not the best advice in the sense that I have no idea how you will do it, but if you can't have a beautiful voice, at least try to be sure its recognizable.

BTW: If you have specific vocal questions, the Only Vocal thread in Musicans Talk is usually helpful. Read the first page though for FAQs.

Shadowz_at_Dawn
04-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Lack of a beautiful voice has not stopped guys like Hendrix, Neil Young, or Bob Dylan, to name a few. That doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into improving your voice: it is an instrument like a guitar, but yours has unique limitations and possibilities.

My first piece of advice is to try to get into a group where you can concentrate solely on singing. Choir would work, or lessons if you possibly could. This is just so you can get your singing technique down, so you don't waste unnecessary energy or hurt yourself.

After that, when you've got notes down, try to find a vocal style that reflects you. This is not the best advice in the sense that I have no idea how you will do it, but if you can't have a beautiful voice, at least try to be sure its recognizable.

BTW: If you have specific vocal questions, the Only Vocal thread in Musicans Talk is usually helpful. Read the first page though for FAQs.

*shakes head in stupidity then slaps self on forehead with extreme force sending my eye balls flying into my slurpee* :p: