This band is on a course for disaster

PDA

View Full Version : This band is on a course for disaster

kyle_katarn3
04-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Siiigh, I cant believe I have to post this,

So, ive found myself at the helm of a band that seems destined for failure. Its my brother's band, which is a crappy Blink/Greenday cover band. I kinda fell into the role of Manager/Producer for them, mainly because i have radio/recording/band experence.

Anyway, this band is fated for distaster. Their bassist is an urban legend, ive seen him like twice maybe. My brother is a decent drummer, but he lacks knowledge of the fundamentals, and everything sounds like a ripoff of travis barker. Their lead guitarist is a moron who likes to pound out power chords and hasnt changed his strings in a year and a half. The lead singer is by far the worst. He simply cant sing, its like a moan or something, sounds like a small animal in pain.

So im facing a number of problems with this band. 1) they've recorded a demo, basically a cover of "Down" by blink. Now, they want to start passing this around as a demo to try and get booked and stuff. The only problem is that, well, i applied a liberal smear of "production value" to the final cut. I basically recorded all the bass (the bassist was MIA), remixed the drums with my brother, added heavy BG vocals and did a double track with a heavily distorted guitar to drown out the mistakes made by the actual guitarist. Is it ethical for the band to be passing this around, and getting attention for something that was basically redone by me?

Also, theyve managed to book themselves a "gig" at a relatively large community center here in toronto. There will probably be a couple hundred people, and I know they will not be ready for the show (Its in two months, and they barely practice. They spent an entire day arguing over a design for a logo). The dilemma here is 2fold. 1, should i advise them to drop the gig? 2, if they dont drop it, should i open for them. Theyve asked me to do so, but even if i just go in there with a drum machine and a loop pedal, i know i could make them look pretty bad.

Dutch_Apples
04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Release the demo, there's nothing wrong with overproducing an album to make them sound better. But if you are really unhappy with this band, you should leave them, no matter if it's family or not. It's still your name on this product. Get them pumped and motivated for the gig if you decide to stay. Fire the bassist if you can even find him. Talk to the guitarist & drummer about getting lessons.

I would strongly recommend moving on to manager another band though since it looks like there is too much work than needed with this group.

BrianApocalypse
04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Keep going on at them to rehearse and pratice, but don't leave it too late to cancel, because it'll be harder for the people to find another group, and you'll have a grudge for life.

Nyne
04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
They sound like they're in music just for the image. Tell them what you've told us. Tell them they have to get in shape and start worrying about the music and not how good their logo is.

kyle_katarn3
04-27-2006, 12:57 PM
They sound like they're in music just for the image. Tell them what you've told us. Tell them they have to get in shape and start worrying about the music and not how good their logo is.

Thats exactly what ive been telling them for the last little while. They have to be the most retardedly image concious band of all time. Take my brother's drumkit. It is the worst setup i have ever seen, it is so uncomfortable to play. His rationale - it looks cool.

Sid Watts
04-27-2006, 04:28 PM
This is hilarious!

You basically are the band :) if they do release the demo, then you owe it to them to play all of their gigs. You wouldn't want people to think they sucked because they are terrible live (due to you not being there).

And yes, advise the vocalist especially to get lessons if he sucks. Most bands without talent (think Greenday...) at least have a good to decent vocalist.

Can the guitarist come up with his own original riffs? Can he improvise? If not, also recommend him for lessons.

NotAJock2Day
04-27-2006, 04:59 PM
This is hilarious!

You basically are the band :) if they do release the demo, then you owe it to them to play all of their gigs. You wouldn't want people to think they sucked because they are terrible live (due to you not being there).

And yes, advise the vocalist especially to get lessons if he sucks. Most bands without talent (think Greenday...) at least have a good to decent vocalist.

Can the guitarist come up with his own original riffs? Can he improvise? If not, also recommend him for lessons.

Lol, come on of all things the majority of Green Day has talent. Tre is a decent drummer, Mike is an above average bass player, and Billie is an excellent song writer. Most of all, what you hear on the album is EXACTLY what you hear live, if not better. Blink 182 after the first couple of albums were rediculously remastered, especially the vocals. They absolutely SUCK live. Which one felt more success?

Moral of the story, don't sell a band as something they're not. The band your describing probably sucks live and probably sit around in a confused circle during practice right? On top of that they definitely have bad time because their focus isn't on the music. Blink 182/Green Day cover band? :-\ As a whole they don't seem very talented and playing songs like that is SO predictable. (Sigh) Demo's with covers like Down won't impress anyway, and they might get booed of the stage if they can't even play that as well as you're making it sound. If you go through with this gig then they're just be one of those bands that people will compare to the good ones.

They definitely seem like an image band. They won't last, especially since they're playing other bands music.

WrathofKahn
04-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Lol sounds like you've got youself a solo album... too bad its a Blink cover.

I think you should let them do what they want with the demo. If they really are crap... people will find out. There's not much you can do.

kyle_katarn3
04-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Hehe, you'll love this. My brother got back from practice last night with the setlist for the gig. Theyre doing covers of a third band now

Fall Out Boy!!!!!!!

Useful_Idiot16
05-01-2006, 02:51 PM
wooooooooooooow........did not see that coming |||sarcasm|||

scrambler_66
05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
That's it, you've lost them.

cokesodanotdrug
05-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Kyle, I'd advise them to drop the gig, they're just going to make fools of themselves....

FutureFame
05-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Do NOT drop the gig... Make them learn what it feels like to not practice enough or whatever they are doing and to play in front of a couple hundred people. :-D

kyle_katarn3
05-02-2006, 12:47 AM
^ yeah, i feel like doing that, just letting them get ripped apart. It would probably also spell the end of the band at the same time

NotAJock2Day
05-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Crowd: Boo!! Off the stage!!! Hiss!

Sympathetic Anouncer: Lets give it up for ____!

Crowd: ...

You: >_<;

(band at "after party")

"Yeah it didn't go that bad!"

(one hour of finger pointing and excuses)

"Let's practice twice as hard! We'll be famous playing famous people's music!"

"w00t."

"w00t."

StaggHound
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM
It really depends on whether you want them to incriminate themselves more, or whether you want to save them a little pain.

If you want to save them a little pain, cancel the gig. Tell them you cancelled the gig. Tell them you cancelled the gig because they suck far too much to even think about gigging.

If you want them to understand how much they suck, let them do the gig, but warn them beforehand.

Either way, you're right.

*rockstarjono*
05-03-2006, 01:34 PM
^what he said^

EDIT: i pick the second option, if they cant see that they have to cancel the gig, let them find out the hard way

cokesodanotdrug
05-03-2006, 06:46 PM
It really depends on whether you want them to incriminate themselves more, or whether you want to save them a little pain.

If you want to save them a little pain, cancel the gig. Tell them you cancelled the gig. Tell them you cancelled the gig because they suck far too much to even think about gigging.

If you want them to understand how much they suck, let them do the gig, but warn them beforehand.

Either way, you're right.
alright I change my answer.
I say the second one, tell them, make sure they understand they aren't going to be good and nobody will apreciate them, that way they have time to think about it
and when it hits, they'll know and be pissed at themselves or something

FutureFame
05-03-2006, 08:56 PM
When is the gig, again?

neocon58
05-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Don't you DARE cancel the gig, you show up with a godamn camcorder so we can all rofl together.

kyle_katarn3
05-07-2006, 09:53 PM
ooh, ooh, they had a band practice this saturday, and i swear to god, it was about 30 minutes of blink covers, and then 4 hours of watching blink concert bootlegs for "performance and style" advice.

That_Pink_Queen
05-08-2006, 02:21 AM
^:haha :haha :haha

Wow...

SOA_Bassist
05-08-2006, 05:56 AM
I agree, you should let them find out how horrible they are, but give them a fair warning first.

Or at least set up a " Live-Recording " when they are jamming so they can hear how bad they are. My band always sets up " Live Recordings " so we can see where we need to improve and what we need to fix, and since we began that we went from sounding off time a quarter of the time to being able to play through our stuff over and over with minor or no mistakes at all. If you do that, and if they have minds at all, they will either cancel the gig or realize they need to practice more.

Remebol
05-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Don't you DARE cancel the gig, you show up with a godamn camcorder so we can all rofl together.

DONT CANCEL THE GIG, VIDOE TAPE IT PLEASE, and post it up here