Female guitar legends

PDA

View Full Version : Female guitar legends

gunsnspaghetti
04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
In class today, i was asked to name a female guitar legend, and i couldn't think of ANY!
Can anyone name one, cause it's been bugging me all day

Stratwizard
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Females belong to kitchen, not on stage with guitar.

Silent Murder
04-28-2006, 12:09 PM

You evil, evil man. Girls can be jest as good as guys. Just note, ^ that's REALLY sexist.

gunsnspaghetti
04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh really? ^^ well guys... hrm guys belong in a zoo

old_toad
04-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Donita Sparks from L7
a classic full female grunge band

G_Dub777
04-28-2006, 12:15 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are ya??!! You aren't going to find a good women to save your life dude!!!!! :no:

The guitarist from Heart is badass, especially the beginning of crazy on you...On another note...girl guitarists are better than men because their fingers are smaller and they are much more dextrous!!!! :devil:

Inf1n1tY.
04-28-2006, 12:20 PM
michael jacksons guitarist is very good

memyselfandjeff
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
well there arent many actual guitar heroines, theremay be some that comes close
Joan Jett was good with her axe, and this one woman can rip it up, her names kat something(im not even sure on the kat) and this on woman, I wouldnt say hero, but she plays like a mother ****er , Kaki King would be her name check her playing out at http://www.kakiking.com/ under the audio and video button.

SG thrasher
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM
GIRLSCHOOL and IRONMAIDENS. Two great bands.

mccabe24
04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Not that I'm a fan, but the Great Kat is one of the fastest shredders of all time and she is probably one of the most famous female guitarists.

originlvirtuoso
04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
nancy wilson of heart. an absolute legend.

wynonna judd. . .may not be a legend but she plays well. . . .sheryl crow. . . michelle branch. . . . just to name a few.

Hangar18
04-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah...the Great Kat is pretty sick (in more ways than one).
Lita Ford and Joan Jett were apparently pretty good
Liona Boyd for classical and flamenco is a monster guitar player

Stratwizard
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
:haha You guys can't take jokes, can you?

Besides, The Great Kat is ridiculous. That bitch is so arrogant that he makes Yngwie look modest. She's monotonous and basically steals her songs from classical composers.

Glen_Hansard
04-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Voila.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/ImInDaBand/51kimdeal.jpg

Kim Deal. Ok, she's not a guitar legend, The Breeders are probably the crappest band I've ever heard, but she is a good bassist in The Pixies.

Prophet of Page
04-28-2006, 03:40 PM
On another note...girl guitarists are better than men because their fingers are smaller and they are much more dextrous!!!! :devil:

Sorry, but thats bull****. I've never seen any female players that I'd call particularly dextrous bar Jennifer Batten and some classical chicks, and they're not exactly the best guitarists I've ever seen.

Sure, if I meet a girl someday who can do the sweeping theme from Concerto by Cacophony using string skipping alternate picking (it's another harder way of doing it) or legato like Holdsworth then yes, I will gladly eat my words. But I don't think I'll have to.

Jennifer Batten is the only female guitarist I can think of good enough for meto call her a "legend".

StaggHound
04-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Not a legend in Rock, but regarding great female guitarists, I'd say Joan Baez.

SG thrasher
04-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Not a legend in Rock, but regarding great female guitarists, I'd say Joan Baez.
Fuck yeah, shes so great and her voice is amazing.

Eruption_911
04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
nancy wilson from heart

G_Dub777
04-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry, but thats bull****. I've never seen any female players that I'd call particularly dextrous bar Jennifer Batten and some classical chicks, and they're not exactly the best guitarists I've ever seen.

One question for you...Can you type as fast as a girl? Why is it that girls type faster than men?? It just couldn't possibly be cause they are more dextrous? No that would crush your fragile "manly" ego!! Its alright, really dude! It would not bother me to know that a girl is better at everything than me! Even playing guitar? No offense at all, just trying to rebuttle a somewhat rude reply!! :peace: :cool:

Stratwizard
04-29-2006, 03:35 AM
One question for you...Can you type as fast as a girl? Why is it that girls type faster than men?? It just couldn't possibly be cause they are more dextrous? No that would crush your fragile "manly" ego!! Its alright, really dude! It would not bother me to know that a girl is better at everything than me! Even playing guitar? No offense at all, just trying to rebuttle a somewhat rude reply!! :peace: :cool:

You know, the typing speed doesn't really depend on whether you're a girl or not.

I don't know what the **** you're talking about manly ego, but Prophet of Page knows his ****. There aren't really good dextrous female guitarists, other than the already mentioned Jennifer Batten and few classical chicks. I have no idea, why you think females would be more dextrous than males...

CoolDudeMorgasm
04-29-2006, 05:14 AM
PJ Harvey... Joan Jett... Haha not the most talented guitarists in the world but still guitarists none the less

Falcatarius
04-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Bonnie Raitt is really good.

But truth be told there are no female guitar legends. It's a bad thing to say but it's true.

For a very good look at the reasons behind this, take a gander at this article that was written soon after Rolling Stone published it's "100 greatest guitarists" list.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19175-2004Aug20.html

Very interesting stuff.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

king_harvest88
04-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Ya cant really go wrong with Bonnie Raitt and Susan Tedeschi.

Prophet of Page
04-29-2006, 04:14 PM

Depends on the girl, and the fastest typist I know is a man. :) Plus all the best pianists were men, from a technical standpoint. Go figure.

Yes, in some other body muscles, the presence of elastin in a girls blood helps dexterity, but not in your hands in any great way at all.

Rude or not, I'm being ****ing factual here, there is a greater amount of male virtuosi than female virtuosi in total, and in the instruments where females are certainly competent (violin for example), there are still just as many men at that level.

I'm not putting this down to male superiority, I'm just stating fact.

Harmonius
04-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Hello?

Eva Cassidy

Stratwizard
04-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Depends on the girl, and the fastest typist I know is a man. :liplick: Plus all the best pianists were men, from a technical standpoint. Go figure.

Yes, in some other body muscles, the presence of elastin in a girls blood helps dexterity, but not in your hands in any great way at all.

Rude or not, I'm being ****ing factual here, there is a greater amount of male virtuosi than female virtuosi in total, and in the instruments where females are certainly competent (violin for example), there are still just as many men at that level.

I'm not putting this down to male superiority, I'm just stating fact.

Exactly.

Why does it always have to be male vs. female competition in every ****ing thing?

chrisandio
04-29-2006, 11:25 PM
no man. there are field woman doesn't interested in.i know . they dun usually like high class rock playing guitar solos alot.even worst, mostof my female friends says guitar hero songs are crap ,. idun know man . by the way, it'shard to chance everything. even they play guitar on stage they would play too much solos. like gal punk rock bands. it will remain thesame for several years i guess.

GnRrelease_it
04-30-2006, 01:03 AM
there are fewer females who even PLAY guitar, nevermind being legendary...

Obviously there will be more male guitar heroes than female, simply because fewer women play guitar.
one's not necessarily better than the other; just the numbers are in the guys' favor.

..and just to keep it relevant:
Nancy Wilson of Heart.

Izz
04-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Bonnie Ratt?

TimiHendrix33
04-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Their aren't any real female guitar legends,but Bonnie Raitt and Joan Jett are my personal favorites.

nickamon
05-01-2006, 12:21 AM

Being (by and large) unable to cook has earned me a kitchen duty exemption, thus allowing me more practice time. :p:

G_Dub777
05-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I have no idea, why you think females would be more dextrous than males...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is why women were put to work in Textile factories during the late eighteenth century...because they were more dextrous and didn't get as many injuries!! It is a proven fact my friend...Don't get all butt hurt...I did not want to say that women were better guitarists...It takes a lot more than dexterity to play guitar well!! :peace: Men seem to be more motivated musically!!

but Prophet of Page knows his ****.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Even so...If I had a doctorate in Musical theory I would still be discredited over Prophet of Page because you spend more time on UG!!

Prophet of Page
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is why women were put to work in Textile factories during the late eighteenth century...because they were more dextrous and didn't get as many injuries!! It is a proven fact my friend...Don't get all butt hurt...I did not want to say that women were better guitarists...It takes a lot more than dexterity to play guitar well!! :peace: Men seem to be more motivated musically!!

^^^^^^^^^^^
Even so...If I had a doctorate in Musical theory I would still be discredited over Prophet of Page because you spend more time on UG!!

Women were for the most part put to work in the factoies because men had to do heavy lifting jobs that women couldn't do. Also, If women were more dextrous than men, they should at least pick up guitar FASTER than men, which isn't true either. Plus, I've shown lots of finger dexterity excercises to friends (mostly because they see me doing them and ask what the hell I'm doing), plenty of whom are girls, and I've come to the conclusion that everybody sucks equally.

G_Dub777
05-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Women were for the most part put to work in the factoies because men had to do heavy lifting jobs that women couldn't do. Also, If women were more dextrous than men, they should at least pick up guitar FASTER than men, which isn't true either.

I just got done taking a world civ class last quarter...They were put to work in TEXTILE factories because of their small hands and dexterity. Men were busy doing the "heavy lifting jobs" and/or jobs that were vile and brutal to make more $. :D

On the second half... It would seem that women would pick up guitar "FASTER" than men but IMO I think that it takes a lot of motivation and inspiration to want to learn fast. Not only that but playing guitar seems to be gender oriented towards men...How many mainstreem "guitar" virtuosos do you see that are female...Damn near none...they tend to strive to play more feminen instruments such as cello or violen...Not that I am saying those instruments are for girls!! :peace:

IamJonsCranium
05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
there are no female legends. good or even great guitar players, but no legends. no one that comes close to hendrix or slash etc.

i_strum_i_drum
05-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I find that women are discouraged from reaching their musical potential involving guitar. This is because of the many people that try to compare them to male guitarists and therefore reinforce an unnecessary boundary that society has wedged between male and female musicians.
And in terms of ability, we are all people and I think it is pretty silly to try to prove whether a guy or a girl has more natural talent.

Useful_Idiot16
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
some chick from i think may be a boston band, Lez Zeppelin, is pretty good...if she can cover a bunch of zepp songs in like a 2 hour set or w.e

mysoniclove
10-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Memphis Minnie
Ma Rainey
Sarah Martin
Patti Smith
Karen Dalton
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt
Emmylou Harris
Joan Jett
Patti Smith
Ani Difranco
Kim Gordon (of Sonic Youth)
Chan Marshall
P.J. Harvey
Shirley Manson (of Garbage)
Poe
Regina Spektor (yes she plays guitar too)
Corin Tucker (of Sleater Kinney)
Emily Haines
GO! GO! 7188! (japanese punk band featuring two great female guitarists)
Lita Ford
Kaki King
Jolie Holland
Scout Niblett
Lisa Loeb
Jewel
Melissa Auf De Maur
Alanis Morisette
the chicks from Blonde Redhead
the chicks for Kittie

...just to name a few

PurpleFlavoured
10-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I had a female guitarist in my old band, she played ALOT better and shredded ALOT faster than any guy I have ever met, she could sweep pick too.

I think it's very easy, with this gender BS, to judge people's musical ability merely on the genitals they were born with. I don't care if someone is male or female, it doesn't ****ing matter, a good guitarist is a good guitarist. End of.

For some stupid reason though, if you're a girl in a band, you get so much crap from guys, even as a vocalist I got crap. Mostly about not being hot enough...*raises eyebrow*
It's disgusting, absolutely disgusting.....**** GENDER! IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!

perry589
10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Avril Lavigne?? ;)

Seriously, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Melissa Auf De Maur, P.J. Harvey, Shirley Manson, D'Arcy Wretzky and Nancy Wilson.

sadSTATUE
10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
um.
ME.
sike, i'm kidding, i swear.