Screamo

PDA

View Full Version : Screamo

ouchies
04-28-2006, 09:34 PM
How would you categorize Screamo?
I've heard mixed responses, some people I know say its like screaming emo. Others say its borderline grindcore.

What do you guys think?

xgrindcorex
04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Screamo itself really isn't a genre, but It's mostly considered to be heavier sounding emo with alot of screaming and noise.

vlp_dope
04-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Others say its borderline grindcore.

.....no. i don't think so.

kevinm4435
04-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Genre categorizations are basically based on individual point of view and opinion nowadays. Through my view on the subject it's purest form is that song with a French name by Saetia.

XQuickDeathX
04-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I think Screamo is a really broad genre that most noise-based type of bands go into. I've heard everyone from the Blood Brothers and At the Drive-in to the Used and lame bands like Senses Fail. I think it's just kind of like a fallback name for bands that are hard to categorize sometimes.

SilentSpectacle
04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Others say its borderline grindcore.

Whoever told you that is borderline retarded.

I know theres a huge thread about this in Pop-Punk and Emo, i'd look there.

SilentSpectacle
04-28-2006, 11:51 PM
by Saetia.

although I HATE the retarded ass name of this genre, I, PERSONALLY, think that Saetia is more Emo-Violence.

xAestheticx
04-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Screamo is really just a general name now. To be more technical about it, the bands that are classified as screamo can either fall under post-hardcore or emo, or they can fall under emo-violence and new age hardcore.

bloodstained
04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
although I HATE the retarded ass name of this genre, I, PERSONALLY, think that Saetia is more Emo-Violence.

emo violence = screamo

SilentSpectacle
04-29-2006, 02:06 AM
emo violence = screamo

No. I can definetely distinguish between bands listed under both genres.
Similar, while still different.

J Lock
04-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Wow..

No.
Emo-violence was a joke term started by In/Humanity.
Saetia is just plain old emo.

Screamo IS borderline grindcore.
Examples:
Combatwoundedveteran, Kaospilot, Welcome the Plague Year.

Craigo
04-29-2006, 05:52 AM
J Lock knows the ****.

I mean, before Mathcore was named mathcore, Dillinger Escape Plan were named screamo. Look in the "What is hardcore?" thread. I'm pretty sure they ain't emo...

system
04-29-2006, 01:05 PM
yaphet kotto?

envy?

Sephirangel
04-29-2006, 01:14 PM
nah i just think screamo is emo trying to sound a little bit heavier
like trying to appeal to other fans of heavier genres while keeping their current emo fans

Paint
04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
screamo is pretty much grindcore IMO. bands like kaospilot, kodan armada, circle takes the square, flowers in the attic, la quiete, etc...

a lot of bands get thrown in there because of simple misunderstandings. people think screamo and automatically think screaming so every band that screams is interpreted into screamo.

whatev.

and just to show you the difference between screamo and grindcore listen to daughters or the locust. that is grindcore.

Leftover_Crack
04-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow..

No.

Examples:

<3j lock.

.:bleednomore:.
04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Just listen to Pg 99 and Hot Cross

Paint
04-29-2006, 11:04 PM
hot cross is not screamo

J Lock
04-30-2006, 01:06 AM
He's one for two.
Battin .500.
I'll give it to him.
Hot Cross is just technical emo.

Paint..
Uh.. Daughters isn't so much..
Sawtooth Grin.. Ed Gein..
Right ballpark, wrong team.

I <3 you guys too..
Yay for people liking me..

Oh yeah, first gig today with the new band.
A Toast To Errors..
Post-hardcore with some pop in it.
Nice.

)Eric(Draven
04-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Ah, the kids.

They'll always be ignorant :rolleyes:

pixiesfanyo
04-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Like I've said in the Emo&Screamo thread.

Screamo is basically just a term for the evolution of emo in the late '90s.

Gomorrah
04-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow..

No.

Examples:

None of those bands sound what could be considered borderline to Napalm Death, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Nasum, Pig Destroyer, Leng Tch'e, early Carcass, etc.

Also, you would put Saetia in the same genre as Rites of Spring, Embrace and others normally associated with them?

SilentSpectacle
04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Also, you would put Saetia in the same genre as Rites of Spring, Embrace and others normally associated with them?

Not even close, and that's why I said emo-violence.

J Lock
05-01-2006, 12:19 AM
None of those bands sound what could be considered borderline to Napalm Death, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Nasum, Pig Destroyer, Leng Tch'e, early Carcass, etc.

No, they don't but they have similar ingredients. (The Grind with with Screamo)

And yes, yes I would.

Gomorrah
05-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I'll just agree to disagree with you on both counts, then.

Also, would you consider the bands that Paint said, Daughters and The Locust to be grindcore?

J Lock
05-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Naw.
Tech metal.
Or white-belt grind.
You know, that scene stuff.

Gomorrah
05-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Exactly.

Sephirangel
05-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Screamo is NOT grindcore!!!

Paint
05-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Naw.
Tech metal.
Or white-belt grind.
You know, that scene stuff.

neither of them are tech metal

lessthanbilly
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
ok you are all over complicating things. sreamo bands scream. thats it. quit lableling everything and just enjoi. yes i know thats mispelled its an allusion to skating. anyways now matter how you classify a band people are going to say they are posers. like Greenday. they are punk. they practically created punk but everyone wants to say they are pop now. duurrrr. they are pop=popular. stop listening to them and people will start calling them punk again. its all about perspective.

guitarwannabe16
05-01-2006, 02:21 PM
ok you are all over complicating things. sreamo bands scream. thats it. quit lableling everything and just enjoi. yes i know thats mispelled its an allusion to skating. anyways now matter how you classify a band people are going to say they are posers. like Greenday. they are punk. they practically created punk but everyone wants to say they are pop now. duurrrr. they are pop=popular. stop listening to them and people will start calling them punk again. its all about perspective.

:haha :haha :haha

J Lock
05-01-2006, 03:00 PM
neither of them are tech metal

Yah they are.

You prefer white-belt grind?

Aw.
Look at you.
Lol.
Green day made punk.
Lol.
ENJOI the flame fest.
LOL.

They just get more ignorant.
I can't help but get a fuzzy feeling inside when they grow a pair and decide to post.

mer_der_noms
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
How would you categorize Screamo?
I've heard mixed responses, some people I know say its like screaming emo. Others say its borderline grindcore.

What do you guys think?

Who ever told you that Screamo is borderline Grindcore needs to go jump off a bridge whilst aflame.

But yeah, screaming emo. BFMV and any bands that sound like them are classified as Screamo.

Gomorrah
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Who ever told you that Screamo is borderline Grindcore needs to go jump off a bridge whilst aflame.

But yeah, screaming emo. BFMV and any bands that sound like them are classified as Screamo.

I was about to agree with you until I read the second sentence.

zeldar
05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
screamo isnt borderline grindcore , its borderline new grind as many of the grind purists would put it.

for a good screamo band, check out "Love Like Electrocution"

J Lock
05-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Oooo they're pretty.

Sephirangel
05-02-2006, 06:07 AM
screamo isnt borderline grindcore , its borderline new grind as many of the grind purists would put it.

for a good screamo band, check out "Love Like Electrocution"

umm.....wtf?
now your making up a new genre????? god this thread is getting stupid
screamo is just emo with majority screaming rather than singing!!! its as simple as that!! it doesnt take a genious to work that out!

slashwyldepage
05-02-2006, 08:51 AM
its all just rock 'n roll.

Paint
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM

I am a retard

Leftover_Crack
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM

Genius reply there einstein.

Craigo
05-02-2006, 02:28 PM
OmG d1s ThReAd 1Z tEh SuXzOrz

Gurgle!Argh!
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
yknow, im normally really anal about genres.

but shit guys, i have to hand it to you... new grind? emo violence? screamo? white belt grind?

sure, theres a value in them, there are distinctions. but theres a limit to how many distinctions you can make before a genre title becomes defunct. alone, theyre all useful terms perhaps. but theyre too close too each other to make distinctions between them especially worthwhile.

i hate to be that 'oh stop categorising everything' person who is the eternal thread idiot... but really, when you take genre classifications to a certain degree of fineness, they become useless, because they arent broad enough.

gunsnspaghetti
05-02-2006, 02:37 PM
It's emo with a 'scr' on the front... well that's what I think, but I'm probably wrong

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
OmG d1s ThReAd 1Z tEh SuXzOrz

I concur. Far too much spam and the fact it's getting dragged down by just plain stupid new genres.