Learning Shred/Improving

PDA

View Full Version : Learning Shred/Improving

Lord_Xian
04-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I've played guitar for a little over 3 years now and am about what yo'd expect for playing that length. I'm really a punk guitarist so I'm basically awesome at powerchords and untechnical melodic solos, but I lack improvising ability and theory knowledge.
I like a lot of 80's metal bands, alice cooper, twisted sister, vicious rumour, and admire the guitaring skill and believe I could play something near that good with enough time and practise but I dont really know what I'm doing. I can alternate pick fast and in time with my fretting hand but what I play is just random frets moving up and down the neck which sounds like a mess. I know if I was in the electric guitar forum they'd just say learn your scales, but for specific metal shred/improv I could do with something more than that, or at least specific scales to learn and ways to practice.
Any help would be great.

HopeFades
04-29-2006, 07:34 PM
G major, A minor, C major, A major, and E minor/major......and practice with a metronome

splice
04-29-2006, 07:38 PM
first off your technique needs a bit of brushing up.....

get some exercises from the steve vai 10 hour workout tab and make up some of your own exercises to make a daily routine.....

when practicing, make sure every note is perfect

go to www.ibreathemusic.com for some good articles on the rest of what youll need

DeathMetal18
04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
4 things 1 practice scales with a metronome 2 get a great teacher 3 give up punk its simple and it sucks 4 get a Lamb of God album good luck

splice
04-29-2006, 07:45 PM
4 things 1 practice scales with a metronome 2 get a great teacher 3 give up punk its simple and it sucks 4 get a Lamb of God album good luck

:rolleyes:

you shouldnt try to change some one else's musical tastes...if he likes punk let him like punk.....if he likes metal let him like metal.....if he likes shoo let him like shoo...

Stratwizard
04-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Search the shred forum. There are helluva lot of threads concerning different shred techniques, practice routines, wrist motions and so on.