Need help on my Senior Profect on the Blues!

PDA

View Full Version : Need help on my Senior Profect on the Blues!

kurtpage
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm doing a senior project on the blues' huge influence on rock and roll. For my presentation i am using a powerpoint along with my guitar. I want to show how guys like robert johnson, muddy waters, and ablert king affect the style of guys like page clapton n richards. What i'm looking for right now are some sound clips of mayb robert johnson or albert king and then clapton or page or anyone famous playing the same song, lick, or whatever. I really want to try to show to the average non music lover how closly rock comes to the blues. Anyway ideas or help i would appriecieate. Thanks

wingedgopher
04-30-2006, 01:21 PM
i know that clapton played a famous set with bb king

Wylde
04-30-2006, 01:25 PM
sstart form the beginings.. in the mississipi delta... then the big movement of chicago blues... the influence on 60's and 70's rock, and the 80's revival of blues

IrishBlues
04-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey im doing the same thing for one of my classes. Good thing to show is have a clip of say Led Zep doing Lemon Song, then have Howlin Wolf doing Killin Floor becuase Zep based it off that. Rolling Stones took a lot from Muddy Waters. You can also use Claptons Sessions for Robert J. where he dedicated an entire cd to Robert Johnson. Some good songs to use are:

Lemon Song - Led Zep ( Howlin Wolf)
Any version of Sweet Home Chicago
Crossroads - Cream (Robert J)
Boom Boom - Yardbirds (John Lee Hooker)
Catfish Blues - Hendrix (Forget who did that originally)

And if u want to go into the Chicago Blues Era you can show how people like Buddy Guy used stuff from the delta and basically created Electric Blues ... hope that helps

kurtpage
05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
i think the second half of how many more times by zep is a rip off of a blues song..i wanna say the hunter..not sure by who tho. I really wanna find a clip of a albert king solo and play it against a clapton one i no clapton copied alot of his licks

IrishBlues
05-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Bring it On Home by Zep is basically a standard blues song. You can also use hide away which is covered a lot. I saw this cool video online where Stevie Ray Vaughan was talking about the different ways people play Hide Away (might have been Rude Mood) .... it was on video google.

IrishBlues
05-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Hey I just found this:

Eric Clapton's guitar solo on the 1968 Cream hit "Strange Brew" from the album Disraeli Gears is a note-for-note cover of King's solo on his Stax Records hit "Crosscut Saw".

Steve Cropper
05-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Show how close Chicago Blues is to Rock n' Roll.

Gabuydachk
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
If you show them stuff like SRV, they might understand better
Steve Cropper's right, Chicago Blues is another good idea

chuck953688
05-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Wow, talk about weird...I'm doing my Senior Project on almost the exact same topic. My teacher was pretty pumped about it when I told her last week, so it should be fun. Weird how things like that happen.

kurtpage
05-01-2006, 08:39 PM
haha thats awesome mayb we can help eachother out then. Mine is due May19th...im guessin urs is gonna b due round there 2. PM we can figure **** out 2gether. Im good at thinkn of ideas but im having a hard time pulling it all 2gether

chuck953688
05-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm presenting mine May 31st, but I basically just started getting things together for it (just got it assigned last week) today, so I don't know how much help I'll be, but it is cool that we're both doing the same thing at the same time.

Friedmaniac
05-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Play crossroad blues by Robert Johnson, then play the clapton version.

smokeebunny
05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Play crossroad blues by Robert Johnson, then play the clapton version.

yeah i did something very similar, except i used led belly and ram jam, black betty

kurtpage
05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
i had some ideas about blues in pop culture too. Examples are muddy waters singing "i'm like a rolling stone" inspiring a band, songs, and hgue magazine all of the same name. In movies the BLues Brothers showed John Lee Hooker in it and the final concert they played Sweet Home Chicago..prob the most covered blues song ever. Also in the george cloney movie Oh Brotehr Where Art Thou the character Tommy Johnson parodies Robert Johnson to the tee. I wish i had clips of that stuff for a powerpoint but i have no idea how to do it.

IrishBlues
05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
You can use a DVD Ripper ... and I always thought that Chris Thomas King was parodying Robert J. in O Brother but then I heard that he is actually supposed to be Tommy Johnson. Tommy had a similar story about selling his soul to the devil but unlike Robert Johnson, he told people that he did sell his soul.

master
05-03-2006, 07:33 PM
The stones played a lot of blues. Little red rooster, route 66,...