Jason Becker movie

PDA

View Full Version : Jason Becker movie

Gman400
04-30-2006, 07:06 PM
The working title is Mr Tambourine Man but I couldn't really find any info in it. Matt Schulze is going to play Becker (He was in Blade and Blade II as well as some tv shows) and either he or Jason himself is writing the script/screenplay.

It would be amazing for this movie to come out in theaters because it would open up metal/incredible guitar playing (rather than crappy green-day type stuff) to new masses of people using it's incredible story.

Oh and by the way, Matt Schulze himself is a guitarist, and apparently a very good one according to Becker himself!

rjk123
04-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Hmm I hadn't heard of this....I agree that it would be sweet to have that come out in theatres. Intriguing...

TheUltimateSin
04-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Really? I haven't heard about this before. That would focking pwn, although an actor just can't compare to the real Jason obviously. But that's awesome if Jason is writting it himself.

JkHalen
04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
wow...this could go either extremely good...or just horribly wrong..interesting. Hope that if it does happens, it kicks ass.

PooKoo
04-30-2006, 07:47 PM
discussed on here a while ago, forgot about it almost. Him and jason are good friends apperently, and i hope it is good, or i will cry.

TheUltimateSin
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
^No! It WILL be good. Absolutely NO exceptions. Do you understand?!

PooKoo
04-30-2006, 08:31 PM
yes ma'am!

Godly Moose
04-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I remember about this and tried searching for it on IMDB, but couldn't find it.

Witch-king
04-30-2006, 08:46 PM
It'd be great to see good guitar players get more recognition, and I think a movie like this would do that. Should be interesting aswell.

TheUltimateSin
04-30-2006, 08:53 PM
yes ma'am!

*ahem* And here I went to the trouble of getting you that boob cake for your birthday! No respect, I tell ya...

So yeah I have high hopes for the movie's impact, in the event that it is actually released publicly.

Witch-king
04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm looking forward to the motley crue movie more though. That's gonna be crazy.

TheUltimateSin
04-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Wait a minute...I've been hiding under a rock lately. Motley Crue movie?

Don't hurt me!

Witch-king
04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Wait a minute...I've been hiding under a rock lately. Motley Crue movie?

Don't hurt me!

Last I heard the script is written. I'm not sure when they're starting shooting in (if they havn't already).

Johnny Knoxville is supposed to play Nikki Sixx and Ashtin Kutcher is supposed to play Tommy Lee. Not sure about that though.

SnowballofDoom
04-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Wow, someone crucify that casting director.

Witch-king
04-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow, someone crucify that casting director.

haha, i dunno, I think Johnny Knoxville could pull off Nikki. I think he has that look. As for Ashton, I don't think I could take him seriously as Tommy.

Gman400
04-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah I probly wouldn't take him seriously but he is entertaining, and so is tommy so....whatever. <3 That 70s show.

Beckerism
04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
****. I was hoping there would be no "well-known" actors in it. I'd detract from the main point. Anyways I knew aobut it, and am just waiting for it to happen. Hopefully it goes through. :)

Gman400
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I think the Becker movie will be better unless the Crue movie goes all out unedited with the stuff from their book and ****.

anibus04
05-01-2006, 01:11 AM
This sounds awesome. It'll show all those green day lovers that there is music beyond palm-muting and power cords.

Stratwizard
05-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Sounds awesome. I'd love to see that.

Resiliance
05-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Been on there for quite a while... Shooting was supposed to start like a year ago... :(

wil
05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I was wondering what the film will focus on---I'd like to see a young 'Jason' get his guitar and start to get better, then focus on his Cacophony phase and then obviously his solo career onwards to...now.
However, i dont know if a film about a young kid becoming a shredder is enough to satisfy the average mindless audience these days. Sure, i'd love to see it but i hope if they make it, they dont end up doing some 'Rock Star' type thing which exposes the music industry etc, OR a sentimental 'true-life story' thing...

Gman400
05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I hope there's plenty of just Jason being himself so we can get a look into what it was like for him.

Stratwizard
05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
^Well, he can only move his eyes, so it would be pretty pointless.

Gman400
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
lol no I mean like, "Jason's" daily life in the movie when he was young, not the Jason now lol. I mean not to leave that out but I don't wanna see him sitting there for 20 mins :/

canadianshred
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
to be honest i don't think the movie would really be big as much as i'd want it to.

Godly Moose
05-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Of course not most people will be like, "ZOMG WHO THE FUCK IS JASON BECKER LOLZ!!!1!11!SHIFT+1"

PooKoo
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
sadly most people were like that even for johnny cash.

Anyways, if jasons involved im sure hell be okay with what they do, so as long as he approves of the content im sure it wont be a total waste. Then again, theres not much he can do to really have a say.

Beckerism
05-01-2006, 06:27 PM
If they turn this into Hustle and Flow I will castrate myself. With a dull butter knife.

TheUltimateSin
05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
^Why not an olive fork?

Beckerism
05-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Because a Dull Butter Knife hurts more.

mr_clapton
05-02-2006, 04:32 AM
they would probably make the biggest deal about jason in the hospital getting that trachoctemy or whatever its called and everyone being emotion and said....:(

Axegrinder#9
05-02-2006, 06:04 AM
I honestly though think this is not a great idea - I don't think there are too many directors in hollywood who can pull off something like this. I mean the strength of the movie would obviously be Becker coping with ALS and his degeneration into his current state and his eternal fight with this demon, but besides that I don't see what else can be probed in. I mean it'd be all good for the shred junta to have a movie charting something of a chronological sequence of events, but keeping a wider movie audience (not necessarily one bred on commercialized crap) it'd be very difficult keeping them glued to it. It'd be interesting to see how much of fact and fiction is blended in. The only two movies which I've seen that pull of something of a semi-biographical account of a musician/band would be "Almost Famous" and the "The Doors" (Directed by Oliver Stone) - both which had big name actors and big budgets (of course neither are necessary constituents of a good movie), and whilst the former was purely fictionalized, the latter had a wealth of anecdotes, myths, stories, etc to rely upon.

TheUltimateSin
05-02-2006, 08:10 AM
^That is a very good point. I guess the only way to know for sure is to wait and see what happens and what direction they take with the movie.

Midnight 260
08-15-2006, 01:58 AM
so did the whole idea of this die out?

TheUltimateSin
08-15-2006, 02:01 AM
^Last I heard, it was still in the green

Night_Lights
08-15-2006, 06:52 AM
:sad:

apocalypse13
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I honestly though think this is not a great idea - I don't think there are too many directors in hollywood who can pull off something like this. I mean the strength of the movie would obviously be Becker coping with ALS and his degeneration into his current state and his eternal fight with this demon, but besides that I don't see what else can be probed in. I mean it'd be all good for the shred junta to have a movie charting something of a chronological sequence of events, but keeping a wider movie audience (not necessarily one bred on commercialized crap) it'd be very difficult keeping them glued to it. It'd be interesting to see how much of fact and fiction is blended in. The only two movies which I've seen that pull of something of a semi-biographical account of a musician/band would be "Almost Famous" and the "The Doors" (Directed by Oliver Stone) - both which had big name actors and big budgets (of course neither are necessary constituents of a good movie), and whilst the former was purely fictionalized, the latter had a wealth of anecdotes, myths, stories, etc to rely upon.
I think they should focus on his rise to talent, and then the major twist in the movie is when gets ALS. That would be more interesting IMO.

Godly Moose
08-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I'll be very surprised if this gets made before Jason dies sadly. :(

paddyo
08-15-2006, 03:41 PM
^No on his mypsace page in one(if not a few) of his blogs he says that the film is one of his main focuses at the moment and is still coming on.

Resiliance
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
I think you guys are underestimating the amount of time, work, funding, marketing and lots of other hassles involved with making a movie this size.

paddyo
08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
You may/may not have been reffering to me,but yeah,I totally agree with you and doubt this will be released at all and if it is,is destined to a small arthouse cinema release or movie festival screenings..

TheUltimateSin
08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Personally, I am just excited to see what becomes of this. I am also glad that he(as well as everyone involved) is taking the time to have this done.

apocalypse13
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't see much hope in it actually being good.

/pessimistic]

Froddy
08-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I'll be very surprised if this gets made before Jason dies sadly. :(
Hmm I think that's a harsh thing to say to say the least. People have survived with ALS for longer than Jason has - look at Stephen Hawking for one example, and Jason himself says he is getting better and fighting the disease.

Godly Moose
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Hmm I think that's a harsh thing to say to say the least. People have survived with ALS for longer than Jason has - look at Stephen Hawking for one example, and Jason himself says he is getting better and fighting the disease.

I'm not saying he's going to die prematurely, but what I was trying to say was, that I find it very slim that the movie might not be made at all. I'm hoping that it does, but if it does it seems more like a thing that will get shown at the Sundance Film Festival, or something along the lines of that. And maybe come out on DVD that can be bought on Amazon.com or something, or his site.

Beckerism
08-15-2006, 10:34 PM
He said they're trying to take it to the movie theaters.

Godly Moose
08-15-2006, 10:37 PM
^ That would be freakin sweet. I hope it would be a national thing instead of maybe just like one major city or something.

Froddy
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
^ That would be great but i doubt it would come to good ol' England :(.

TheUltimateSin
08-16-2006, 01:32 PM
He said they're trying to take it to the movie theaters.

That seems like a double-edged sword. On the one side, it would get loads more of public attention and exposure(and I would definetly pay to see this movie, several times), among other things.

But on the other side, there is the issue of the vast majority of the public not know who Jason is(mainly the current generation) and the question that wold arise would be "Who the hell is Jason Becker??".

But then again, that might spark curiosity and get more people to explore his work and might even attract a new wave of fans.

Either way, I am excited to see how the movie itself turns out.

Jakeylee111
08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I was under the impression that you couldn't "get better" or "fight the disease" when it comes to ALS.

I have a horrible feeling that the director will wreck the movie some how.

Gman400
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I think as long as they don't advertise it as "THE TRUE STORY OF YOUR FAVORITE EXTREME GUITAR SHREDDER, JASON BECKER AND HIS TRAGIC DIAGNOSIS AND HOPEFULY RECOVERY!!" because then everyone will be all "Umm...yeah I have no idea who that homo is."

That's if it even does go to theaters, but either way it should be advertised as the story of a guitarist named Jason Becker rather than like...an advertisement aimed at shred fans.

I was under the impression that you couldn't "get better" or "fight the disease" when it comes to ALS.

He was supposed to die like, a few months after he was diagnosed (I think) and he's survived till this point so he must be fighting it pretty well. I don't think anyone has ever really "recovered" from it, but Jason says he's getting feeling back in places he couldn't move for years, so that's good.

Godly Moose
08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
I think as long as they don't advertise it as "THE TRUE STORY OF YOUR FAVORITE EXTREME GUITAR SHREDDER, JASON BECKER AND HIS TRAGIC DIAGNOSIS AND HOPEFULY RECOVERY!!" because then everyone will be all "Umm...yeah I have no idea who that homo is."

That's if it even does go to theaters, but either way it should be advertised as the story of a guitarist named Jason Becker rather than like...an advertisement aimed at shred fans.

He was supposed to die like, a few months after he was diagnosed (I think) and he's survived till this point so he must be fighting it pretty well. I don't think anyone has ever really "recovered" from it, but Jason says he's getting feeling back in places he couldn't move for years, so that's good.

Well when 60 minutes did a thing on ASL, it pissed off Jason and he made a rant.

My response to the February 28th 60 Minutes spot about people with ALS

This segment got my feathers ruffled for a few reasons.

* They kept emphasizing that ALS is always fatal. Bullshit! I have a tape of a woman named Evy McDonald who had ALS and was preparing to die. She changed her attitude and now she is totally free of any symptoms. The amazing David Atkinson had ALS pretty severe and now he doesn't. You can read his story. Find out about his book in my Recommended Books section. Also, I have been living very productively ten years after being given the so-called death sentence. Think of how many "healthy living people" have died in the last ten years, while I have made two CD's, written a few articles, and somehow make the coolest people like to be around me.

So I guess apperantly there has been a couple of people who have survived it for a very long time, and gotten better without any symptons. : /

Beckerism
08-16-2006, 07:52 PM
That seems like a double-edged sword. On the one side, it would get loads more of public attention and exposure(and I would definetly pay to see this movie, several times), among other things.

But on the other side, there is the issue of the vast majority of the public not know who Jason is(mainly the current generation) and the question that wold arise would be "Who the hell is Jason Becker??".

But then again, that might spark curiosity and get more people to explore his work and might even attract a new wave of fans.

Either way, I am excited to see how the movie itself turns out.

That's what the movie's for. :p: Who knew about John Nash before A Beautiful Mind? Either way, I believe whatever the results, it will be helpful to Becker's cause. :)

TheUltimateSin
08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
What I meant by it was, the general public not knowing who he is might not persuade them to see a movie about a guitar player they've never heard of. A lot of people prefer to only see movies with people they've heard of.(of course, my retort to them is that they didn't know those people either at one point).

But, as I said, I have high confidence in the movie's success :)

Beckerism
08-16-2006, 08:13 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but what about the multitude of movies about not-so-famous people that did well, such as my previous exaple. Don't know about you, but a musician seems much more interesting of a topic compared to a mathematician. Then again, it was a "love story." Who knows that this one wont be? Either, I can see how you argue it both ways. :)

TheUltimateSin
08-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Hmm, point taken.

Either way, I'm sure it will be big with guitar players and/or general musicians at least.
And like I said, it may also open up to a new generation of fans. :)

hepzibahbaptist
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
DUDE i cannot wait for this movie
i love jason becker
and he has the most amazing story

shred masta
08-17-2006, 11:39 PM
nice, hopefully it comes out in theatres, then ill tell all those green day weezer guitarist fans, whos real good now:)

Shreddin 4 Life
08-17-2006, 11:45 PM
yeah, that's great 'n all, but like most "based on a true story" movies, they tend to end up being lousy or never do justice to the actual story...